Hot!Roadfood Loyalty Oath?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3610
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 23:13:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew

felix4067

JRPfeff

Dale,

Just to complicate things ... per the Stern's definition circa 1986, those 10 city places you mention are not Roadfood, they are Goodfood. The distinction was relevant to me on my cross-country drive this year. There are very few restaurants left in the Roadfood books that are near the highway - the original definition. Most are in cities and towns. The definition in my book from that time (Roadfood and Goodfood) did not overtly limit Roadfood based on the restaurant ownership.  Goodfood, however, was limited to"local," which I concede would eliminate chains.

Jim

So to see if I'm understanding (bear with me, I'm a little off today), Roadfood was originally defined as food found near the highway? In which case, most FF places would qualify, whereas most Mom & Pop places would not, at least currently. Interesting!

Completely incorrect....that was not the original definition of Roadfood.

Which is why I asked.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 23:23:43 (permalink)
Roadfood makes tthose nuns of St. Andrew's all those years ago....seem easy-going.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 01:27:18 (permalink)
The definition is on the front page of the site in the top right corner -First thing.
"Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.
It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.
Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.
It is our intention that Roadfood.com will lead the way to:
great local color
the best regional specialties
unforgettable diners, celestial barbecue, and four-star pig-outs galore!"
NO ONE READS ANYMORE! 
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/12/06 01:28:19
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3610
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 01:42:31 (permalink)
I've read that. What I was asking about was the 1986 definition that JRPfeff was talking about. I read probably more than any ten people you know combined.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 02:30:00 (permalink)
Now, it is 2 AM on a sleeting-snowing  morning and I have reached a profound conclusion regarding this whole discussion, especially since the ROADFOOD book(s) and interpretation thereof has been added to the debate....

This whole discussion can be compared with a group of folks from varying backgrounds and cultures discussing the Bible and it's role in the world of today's religious groups, sects and offshoots.
AND I think that trying to convert the group to a uniform definition and universal acceptance of any individual interpretation is a major waste of time and talent.  Be Happy with your 'foodie feelings" Whatever they may be, and STOP treating others who may think differently than you, as some leper-coated cretins doomed to rot in a Taco Bell parking lot for all Eternity.

OK  I'm done.  BTW I am also out of My KY Colonel's Elixer as a result of this intense experience, I think that a roadtrip to various stops on the  Distillery Trail will be forthcoming as soon as the ice in my driveway has melted.

post edited by mayor al - 2013/12/06 02:47:22
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4121
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 03:02:41 (permalink)
mayor al
BTW I am also out of My KY Colonel's Elixer as a result of this intense experience, I think that a roadtrip to various stops on the  Distillery Trail will be forthcoming as soon as the ice in my driveway has melted.

ED-  I share your addiction to J-I-B Tay-Koes !! Had the habit for 50 years (or more). It is difficult now , as the closest JIB is in Nashville, and we don't get there very often. 

Maybe you need to get out here, I'll supply the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select and the Jack tacos. There, I have two Jacks---care to fold?

wanderingjew

TJ Jackson

That said, I wish I had Dale's luck - I dont have 10 nearby mom-n-pop with high quality eats near me.  

TJ

Not only are they near me, they're walking distance from me . 

I REALLY have to come visit you some time, Dale. It sounds like you have the perfect neighborhood!

MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 07:22:48 (permalink)
Three cheers for Mayor Al
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 07:55:00 (permalink)
Like I said far above, this is a thoughtful thread.

Why would anyone "flag" post 51 above?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 08:10:26 (permalink)
Foodbme

I like everything about 5 Guys except the Prices. Ridiculous!

Indeed, as an original client, I have written Jerry Murrell about that issue:  don't kill the goose hoping to find more gold !!!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2512
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 08:32:02 (permalink)
When I go to a Restaurant, I look at it like this..

Chains = Making the best of a food situation.
Roadfood = Making a food situation the best.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 08:39:32 (permalink)
This thread is the exact reason why I have stopped doing trip reports....
I think  am 100% convinced edwmax spoke up for the masses on this forum  when he once replied "I don't care about your trip reports"
What kills me is that I wasted 10 years of my life of doing them....
Anytime sheeple enter a chain restaurant, all I hear is the sound of a local independent restaurant shuttering it's doors for the last time.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/12/06 08:51:40
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 467
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 09:43:48 (permalink)
Well, I like your trip reports.  And I envy your 10-good-joints-within-walking-distance neighborhood.  I'd have to walk a long time just to get to the blessed Captain D's near me.  And then I'd keep walking.

I am still curious, though, about the definition you use.  Take Cheeseburger Bobby's, a very local chain.  We have been regular guests since there were only three stores, all in the suburbs around Atlanta.  They have made it to the "final four" in Burger Business's nationwide March Madness several times.  (http://www.burgerbusiness.com/)  We eat at the one nearest us most every Tuesday, and have for years.  We're friendly with the staff, who are completely awesome.

Cheeseburger Bobby's started in the west-of-Atlanta town of Hiram in 2004, won the "Best Burger in Paulding County" award - yeah, my mommy says that I'm special, too - and has been dining out (advertising) on that "Voted Best Burger" line for almost ten years. 

They recently opened their seventh and eighth Atlanta-area stores earlier this year.  A ninth is in the Gainesville GA metro area (Flowery Branch).

So, this is a chain exclusive to north Georgia.  Y'all have to come here to try it.  It's received national recognition from a major industry source.  Everybody has my personal recommendation to try it, based on our almost weekly visits.  We've had at least ten people, friends and readers of our blog, tell us how much they enjoy it.

But is nine stores too many locations?  Is it too big now?  Was it okay in 2004, when it was just the one store, or in 2007, when there were three, but unacceptable at nine?

Please don't think I'm singling you out, Dale; I'm genuinely curious across the board where the perceived cutoff is between "local" and "chain," when the chain is a local, or local-ish one.  Also because a curmudgeonly Atlanta area blogger once took a potshot at me for championing chains like Cheeseburger Bobby's and never explained what his beef was.  Is Taqueria del Sol okay?  There are only three of those in Atlanta and one in Athens.  What about Burger & Shake?  There are six of those in the Gainesville metro.  The Varsity has seven (Atlanta / Gainesville / Athens).

What about Dreamland?  Apart from the original, there are differently-menu'd chain stores - one each in Tuscaloosa, B'ham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery, and Atlanta.   Did that grow into too wide an area?  Is Milo's Hamburgers still okay because all sixteen are in B'ham, but Jack's Hamburgers too large, spreading across northern Alabama into Carrollton GA?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 09:44:46 (permalink)
Well, honestly, the term sheeple

wanderingjew
Anytime sheeple enter a chain restaurant

is pretty insulting

I dont think the trip report time was wasted, not at all.  One has to accept that with virtually anything one creates (cars, works of art, great meals, trip reports, etc etc), some folks will like it, some will be indifferent, and some wont like it -- because thats just the way we humans are.  I think you are focusing your attention soley on the latter two groups rather than the former, WJ, and there are plenty of folks in the former group - many many more than who actually compliment the work in writing. 

For my part, as an example --  I almost always (call it 95% of the time) read them, and when I did I always (100% of the time) enjoyed them, but I rarely if ever said so in a comment in that same thread.  I think there are thousands of folks who match this profile, more or less
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/06 10:04:00
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2512
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 10:09:37 (permalink)

I remember a new account we got, it was a 1000 employee feeding base. We would offer a few specials, grill items, and so on. I made Chicken Parmesan w/side spaghetti and garlic bread. One of the customers came over to me and asked who made the special, I told him I did, he said, this is the best Chicken Parm I have ever had, I can't believe I have a chance to have it at my work cafeteria. He went on and on, he told me I should be proud, it was just as good as the one he had at Olive Garden.  .............One thing I learned many years ago, you need to have a sense of humor in this business. It was important that I get my satisfaction from accomplishing my goals, not wait for the pats on the back...........pnwc

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5212
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 10:46:24 (permalink)
mayor al

I really think that a person's likes or dislikes are highly 'personal' and for someone else to disparage the original person because their viewpoints differ is un acceptable social behavior...
But it is, however, the American Way.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 11:02:01 (permalink)
Right ScreamingChicken. As much as I'm trying to get Dale spun up, he's not taking the bait.

nb - Dale, I am listening to you. See my next post.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/12/06 16:39:27
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 11:31:32 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

All that said, there are at least two (certainly may be many others) chains I know of that are listed as Roadfood, and ergo are Roadfood

In and Out (as mentioned above) and Original Pancake House

I would say that a typical roadfood establishment is not a chain, but the mere fact that a given eatery is a chain is not a basis for it to be excluded as Roadfood.

Said another way, if being a chain means you can't be a Roadfood eatery, then those two (et al) would not be listed as such.  

After thinking more about Jane and Michael's quest in the late 1970's, I am more of the belief that chains as we know them now were excluded.

Besides In-N-Out and Original Pancake House (mentioned by TJ), felix4067 mentioned Steak 'n Shake being in an early version of Roadfood-on-Dead-Tree. Chances are that at that time these were not what we would consider anything more than local restaurants with multiple locations, but they were not chains yet. Had the Stern's bumped into a Culver's or a Five Guys on their journey, those now-chains could have possibly been in Roadfood or Goodfood, too.  It would be cool to hear from Michael or Jane on this.

But I have just opened Pandora's box on this issue. If In-N-Out was Roadfood in 1980, why by virtue of their success and popularity should they be excluded now? The same goes for Five Guys, Chili's, Skyline Chili, etc. They all at one time were single location restaurants. The fact that their founders were entrepreneurs with great ambitions should not automatically un-do their Roadfoodiness if the quality is maintained at the original levels.

That's a fact!
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/12/06 22:22:07
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 11:40:38 (permalink)
"SHAME, SHAME, Shame" !, as Gomer would say. I will now bow out of this self-destructive social-interaction and sip my daily ration of memory enhancement beverages....it must be 2 AM somewhere.

Please, feel free to continue with the creation of a 'Tempest in a Coffee Cup" (as opposed to a teapot).  Perhaps someday I will share some of my experiences as a fry-cook and grillman at an Interstate Service Plaza on I-95 North of Boston. I learned a lot about the creation of the "uniform Menu" approach to traveler food requirements at that place.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18868
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 11:58:40 (permalink)
wanderingjew

In fact I think this is where we are going to go to lunch on Saturday, its our newest favorite lunch spot in town.

Holy Smoke! They charge $6.95 for a stack? And $9.95 for biscuits and gravy?

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:05:40 (permalink)
pnwchef

When I go to a Restaurant, I look at it like this..

Chains = Making the best of a food situation.
Roadfood = Making a food situation the best.

WELL STATED!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:08:53 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, I'm surprised to learn that you are merely a colonel. I, on the other hand, just happen to be an Admiral in the Cherry River Navy.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:19:50 (permalink)
wanderingjew

This thread is the exact reason why I have stopped doing trip reports....
I think  am 100% convinced edwmax spoke up for the masses on this forum  when he once replied "I don't care about your trip reports"

Maybe you should do a poll. I have always loved your trip reports for one and believe a lot more people enjoy them than you think. 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:21:52 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Mr. Mayor, I'm surprised to learn that you are merely a colonel. I, on the other hand, just happen to be an Admiral in the Cherry River Navy.

But doesn't pnwchef outrank you? After all, he is the Commander in Chef.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:27:59 (permalink)
JRPfeff

But I have just opened Pandora's box on this issue. If In-N-Out was Roadfood in 1980, why by virtue of their success and popularity should they be excluded now?  

Good point. At least for In-n-Out, they are still a private, family owned business. All food is still fresh, not frozen. And while I would not pick them as "best burger period", when I'm traveling and the only places around are usually a cluster of fast food places by the freeway, In-n-Out provides a place where I can at least get a burger that has taste, texture and quality.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 12:36:59 (permalink)
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

But doesn't pnwchef outrank you? After all, he is the Commander in Chef.

You do realize, I trust, that I already have a RESIDENT Commander in Chief. She not only outranks me, she thinks I'm rank.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 15:32:38 (permalink)
Had not seen this before today and I do have a few things to say. my road food philosophy is that good is good whether it is not food that is native to the region. The chain i frequent in Portland has also been reviewed  on Roadfood,my favorite Porland restaurant is Cambodian. my favorite breakfast place serves great pancakes, classic American breakfasts., and Korean breakfasts.I enjoy them all and they would be my go to's 4 people visiting.There r some fabulous ice cream and doughnut places that serve fantastic variations of these foods, food carts and restaurants that serve fantastic ethnic foods and endless Vietnamese  delis that I think r an essential Portland road food experience. Portland has a lot of ethnic places that the adventurous eater should try. consider the road food equivalent of what jewish delis used to be in New York.As ill health and lifestyle change has caused me to reduce  solo travel I have not felt any great loss except that food carts here in ptown are now having more trouble surviving the winter. I have no criticism of people who eat at chains and have found a good dish there( my not  guilty pleasure is spaghetti with mizithra cheese at the Old Spaghetti Factory which I truly enjoy,)especially at the location on the banks of the Willamette.) Again my loyalty is to good food, not to a category. Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 15:39:09 (permalink)
Dale, I love your trip reports and your loyalty to your beliefs. Please keep doing  them. It will be an enjoyable experience to read about the places u visit. 
post edited by mr chips - 2013/12/06 20:14:59
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 16:04:25 (permalink)
I had to log in just to say that this is one of the best threads ever.  I laughed all the way through.  What camaraderie, and straight talk too. 

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 17:45:41 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Roadfood makes tthose nuns of St. Andrew's all those years ago....seem easy-going.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adjudicator/11243046575/

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8657
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 18:16:56 (permalink)
Really. ?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1