Hot!Roadfood Loyalty Oath?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 19:23:52 (permalink)
There was a similar thread a couple of years back which I'm going to include  here

I'm going to include a direct quote from myself on this prior thread

I'm going to quote something from TTM 
Here
As you can see what he said isn't any different from what I said (his was only more brusque ) yet surprisingly no one criticized him

I'm going to quote myself twice 
first here

and then again
here

And once again, 2 years later, I offer absolutely no apologies....
If you're looking for a forum where no one expresses an opinion, then perhaps you should go
here 

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 19:30:35 (permalink)
MH

Dante's Kitchen is always crowded, I don't even bat an eye at those prices- that's typical for around here.

Heartbreak Soup has an interesting point

If quality is not compromised in a local or regional mini chain- I don't care if there are 2 or a couple of dozen ....that's what's important....Now if these restaurants spread everywhere south of the Mason Dixon line at that point I would consider that a lapse in quality would be highly suspect.

Everyone Else (Mr Chips, TJ, etc)

I have no motivation left....I'm not even going to complete a best of 2013 list....There's just nothing left....

Ed Sails

Many would not want to respond to that poll.. If there was a way to poll "anonymously" I would be all for it....
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 19:52:48 (permalink)
felix4067

What's funny is how many folks assume those cooking at fast food places are high school kids. While there are some high school kids, most people working at fast food restaurants are grownups, often with a college education, who are doing so to support their families. I'm sure it depends on the job market in your area, but around here you're more likely to be asked if you want fries with that by a college graduate in their 30's with a spouse and children than a kid. I know the McDonald's where my niece's husband cooks (he's 30, wife and three kids) doesn't allow high school kids to work the grill.

Wow, 

I totally missed this.... 
Around here in Rhode Island most of the folks that work at McDonald's are minorities and who would be considered  "The working poor",  in other words many don't even have high school diplomas and are unskilled. Thankfully most of my friends who are college educated and who live all over the country, have very good jobs and make a helluva lot more $$ than I do....
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/12/06 19:54:09
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 21:02:54 (permalink)

This is one of the more interesting threads that I've seen in quite a while. I usually each lunch out everyday and due to budgetary limitations I end up at national and large regional chains more often than I like. There's only a few of those whose food I really enjoy ( Steak n Shake, Popeyes and a couple of others ) but when cash is tight you do what you've got to do. That being said, here in the Chicago area we're fortunate enough to have a number of local chains that turn out really good food ( Al's Beef, Hackney's, Pop's Italian Beef and Durbin's are all favorites ) and I patronize them as often as I can, along with numerous non-chain places in the area. When I make my ( nowadays infrequent ) roadtrips down to No. Carolina or wherever, I avoid the chains like a plague unless it's a local or small regional whose food I enjoy, such as breakfast at Tudor's Biscuit World in West Virginia. A good roadfood-type place like the Ridgewood or Snappy Lunch  would ideally be my first choice of where to eat wherever I am, but unfortunately it just doesn't work out that way too often so I'm happy to get good food any place I can find it, indie restaurant or chain.
post edited by carolina bob - 2013/12/07 00:27:40
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3557
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 23:08:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew

felix4067

What's funny is how many folks assume those cooking at fast food places are high school kids. While there are some high school kids, most people working at fast food restaurants are grownups, often with a college education, who are doing so to support their families. I'm sure it depends on the job market in your area, but around here you're more likely to be asked if you want fries with that by a college graduate in their 30's with a spouse and children than a kid. I know the McDonald's where my niece's husband cooks (he's 30, wife and three kids) doesn't allow high school kids to work the grill.

Wow, 

I totally missed this.... 
Around here in Rhode Island most of the folks that work at McDonald's are minorities and who would be considered  "The working poor",  in other words many don't even have high school diplomas and are unskilled. Thankfully most of my friends who are college educated and who live all over the country, have very good jobs and make a helluva lot more $$ than I do....

Like I said, I'm sure it depends on the job market in your area. Jobs simply don't exist here. Most people working at fast food places were downsized or their companies moved overseas, so they find themselves over 30 (and in many cases over 50) trying to find anything they can do to earn an income. It's not an option for a lot of folks to just pick up and move, so they do the best they can. A friend's dad was downsized from his job as an engineer at the age of 53, and ended up working as a clerk at a video store. It was the only job he could find.

It should be noted that most people working fast food here are also considered the working poor...that has less to do with their age, ethnicity or education and everything to do with the fact that you simply cannot work part time for minimum wage and not be "working poor".
post edited by felix4067 - 2013/12/06 23:10:05
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/06 23:52:53 (permalink)
Most FF Workers out here are Hispanic.
It's a Educational, Economic, Language and Social Stratification issue more than anything else.
That being said, most are reliable workers with a good work ethic just trying to make a living.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 07:47:21 (permalink)
Baloney, Foodbme-I am a woman, white and 54. I work in a fast food area.....

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 07:51:28 (permalink)
WJ - Please leave Barney out of this...he's my bestest friend! 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4220
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 10:20:34 (permalink)
wanderingjew

There was a similar thread a couple of years back which I'm going to include  here

I'm going to include a direct quote from myself on this prior thread

I'm going to quote something from TTM 
Here
As you can see what he said isn't any different from what I said (his was only more brusque ) yet surprisingly no one criticized him

I'm going to quote myself twice 
first here

and then again
here

And once again, 2 years later, I offer absolutely no apologies....
If you're looking for a forum where no one expresses an opinion, then perhaps you should go
here 

Sir, be assured that you and your contributions are treasured by all who participate here. times 10100 

(BTW:  that's a 'google')!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 10:46:32 (permalink)
Circa 1964, I was a patron (via my parents' car) of the very first Arbys' in Boardman, OH.

Circa 1986, I was a  patron of the very first Five Guys in Arlington, VA.

Both experiences were "Wow!!!".

Just up Eldorado Parkway from us is one of the very few Culver's in DFW.  It is "Wow!!!". 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 10:55:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew
(Mr Chips, TJ, etc)

I have no motivation left....I'm not even going to complete a best of 2013 list....There's just nothing left....

I know. 

It is without question your right to participate here as much or as little as you want

I just want to set the record straight on the "facts" behind your stated reasoning
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2720
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 11:42:08 (permalink)
MetroJim - I ate at the second Culver's in Baraboo, WI back when there were only two locations. We were drawn in by the look of the place - very popular and professional looking. I don't eat at Culver's often, but really enjoyed my Butterburger the last time I was there.

I looked into Chili's history and have to believe that the first location must have been like nothing else around at the time. The restaurant world has changed so much since 1975 that what we now take for granted, was truly unique at the time. Coincidentally, or maybe not, 1975 was the same time that the Stern's were researching the original Roadfood book. I believe that the success of Roadfood helped popularize different regional cuisines across the United States. Ironically, this popularity may have helped feed the franchising of regional-concept restaurants nationwide.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/12/07 11:45:15
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 11:43:16 (permalink)
ann peeples

Baloney, Foodbme-I am a woman, white and 54. I work in a fast food area.....

Ann,

I think foodbme might be  referring  to his part of the country.

felix4067 
wanderingjew 
felix4067 

Wow,  
I totally missed this....  Around here in Rhode Island most of the folks that work at McDonald's are minorities and who would be considered  "The working poor",  in other words many don't even have high school diplomas and are unskilled. Thankfully most of my friends who are college educated and who live all over the country, have very good jobs and make a helluva lot more $$ than I do.... 
 Like I said, I'm sure it depends on the job market in your area. Jobs simply don't exist here. Most people working at fast food places were downsized or their companies moved overseas, so they find themselves over 30 (and in many cases over 50) trying to find anything they can do to earn an income. It's not an option for a lot of folks to just pick up and move, so they do the best they can. A friend's dad was downsized from his job as an engineer at the age of 53, and ended up working as a clerk at a video store. It was the only job he could find. 
It should be noted that most people working fast food here are also considered the working poor...that has less to do with their age, ethnicity or education and everything to do with the fact that you simply cannot work part time for minimum wage and not be "working poor".

I'm not disputing what you're saying. If I recall, a few years back, I read that Michigan was the state with the worst economy in the nation, however guess what #2 was? Rhode Island, however the only upside to Rhode Island is that it is close to Boston which obviously has better employment opportunities.  However from my experiences my friends/colleages not only here in Rhode Island but in other parts of the country who are college educated are all doing well financially.

ChiTownDiner 
WJ - Please leave Barney out of this...he's my bestest friend!  

A-ha!- So that's who you do the Chi-Town Shuffle with when buffetbuster is not available

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2720
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 12:00:00 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Circa 1964, I was a patron (via my parents' car) of the very first Arbys' in Boardman, OH.

Circa 1986, I was a  patron of the very first Five Guys in Arlington, VA.

Both experiences were "Wow!!!".

Just up Eldorado Parkway from us is one of the very few Culver's in DFW.  It is "Wow!!!". 

Is there a "Before they were chains" thread? If not, we've got a good start here.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 12:27:37 (permalink)
I found this interesting...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/nyregion/older-workers-are-increasingly-entering-fast-food-industry.html?_r=0

"The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. " 
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 12:30:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I understand completely.  Trip reports are always a great reference, and yours are some of the the best.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 12:41:41 (permalink)
felix4067

I found this interesting...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/nyregion/older-workers-are-increasingly-entering-fast-food-industry.html?_r=0

"The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. " 

Felix, This whole "HS Chef" started with me and CK making a lighthearted stereotypical reference to chain restaurants.  Then my Personal RF Stalker(who I am convinced is a 14 year old girl posting without her mommy's permission)tried to make more out of it for childish personal reasons.

I assure you I meant no disrespect to ANY of the hard working people working in chain restaurants.  I would edit out the comment, but, it has been copied so many times it wouldn't matter.  I always say, "There is only one job in the entire world that has no respect, it's the one you don't do to the best of your ability".
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 13:06:21 (permalink)
That's how it may have started in this particular thread on this particular occasion, but I've heard it way more than once here and elsewhere. I honestly wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular, just trying to eliminate (or at least curb) a rampant stereotype.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 13:55:04 (permalink)

WJ, I don't do as many trip reports are you. The trip reports you do along with Buffetbuster, BillyBoy, and many others do, keep this part of the forum a fun and exciting place. If a person has never attempted a trip report, they would truly never know how much work goes into one. It's nice getting the nice comments from our fellow forum friends, but, that can't be the only motivation behind doing them. Like I said, I don't do many trip reports, but, if I ever do one again, it would be because of one comment I got on one of my reports. This is a good enough reason to do the next one for me........

This is the comment:
What a great way to do a trip report.
I feel like I'm taking the trip with you.  Thanks for taking the time to share with those of us stuck at home! )

If I'm doing the report for the pats on the back, I am missing the boat..........thx pnwc

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 14:35:40 (permalink)
How did I get dragged into this mess?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 14:54:21 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

How did I get dragged into this mess?

Where ever WJ roams...TTM is sure to follow...

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 15:29:10 (permalink)
pnwchef

WJ, I don't do as many trip reports are you. The trip reports you do along with Buffetbuster, BillyBoy, and many others do, keep this part of the forum a fun and exciting place. If a person has never attempted a trip report, they would truly never know how much work goes into one. It's nice getting the nice comments from our fellow forum friends, but, that can't be the only motivation behind doing them. Like I said, I don't do many trip reports, but, if I ever do one again, it would be because of one comment I got on one of my reports. This is a good enough reason to do the next one for me........

This is the comment:
I feel like I'm taking the trip with you.  Thanks for taking the time to share with those of us stuck at home! )

If I'm doing the report for the pats on the back, I am missing the boat..........thx pnwc

I agree with you.  I have done trip reports and have gotten very little response, except for people asking "Where are the pictures?'  It really made me upset, until I was reading one of Mr. Chip's reports.  He does not do pictures, either.  I enjoyed the report  so much that I said to myself  "Who needs pictures?"  I have not done a trip report lately, but when I do, it will be for the pure enjoyment of telling people about some great Roadfood places that I have been to and enjoyed.  That is the real purpose of Roadfood.  I do not need any pats on the back for helping this site fulfill it's mission.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 15:48:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff

MetroJim - I ate at the second Culver's in Baraboo, WI back when there were only two locations. We were drawn in by the look of the place - very popular and professional looking. I don't eat at Culver's often, but really enjoyed my Butterburger the last time I was there.

I looked into Chili's history and have to believe that the first location must have been like nothing else around at the time. The restaurant world has changed so much since 1975 that what we now take for granted, was truly unique at the time. Coincidentally, or maybe not, 1975 was the same time that the Stern's were researching the original Roadfood book. I believe that the success of Roadfood helped popularize different regional cuisines across the United States. Ironically, this popularity may have helped feed the franchising of regional-concept restaurants nationwide.

Jim

Putting on my "economist hat" - ceteris paribus, lowering information costs expands market size. 

The "conversation" started here by the Sterns has greatly expanded the market for thousands of worthy independent enterprises, several score of which I have patronized as a result.

This is Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' in action.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 17:57:51 (permalink)
WJ-I guess Foodbeme was making a statement. So was I. I just to meet up with people  and eat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18665
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 18:36:50 (permalink)
Greymo

pnwchef

This is the comment:

I agree with you.  I have done trip reports and have gotten very little response, except for people asking "Where are the pictures?'  It really made me upset, until I was reading one of Mr. Chip's reports.  He does not do pictures, either.  I enjoyed the report  so much that I said to myself  "Who needs pictures?"  I have not done a trip report lately, but when I do, it will be for the pure enjoyment of telling people about some great Roadfood places that I have been to and enjoyed.  That is the real purpose of Roadfood.  I do not need any pats on the back for helping this site fulfill it's mission.

And I'm looking forward to your next trip report. By the way, does the Littlest One still love that breakfast place that can't be named because it's a chain?

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 18:48:33 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
that breakfast place that can't be named

Voldemorts Biscuits-A-Plenty?

Sauron's House of Sinnamon Rolls?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 19:14:51 (permalink)
I said it can't be named.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 20:17:48 (permalink)
Not wanting to incur the wrath of other Roadfooders, I will not mention the name but this was my experience there (60 mile round trip) in  October with my youngest granddaughter. 
We walk in and are greeted by a chorus of "Good Mornings" and  "Hi there" by the staff.  My granddaughter runs for the counter and says to her favorite waitress "Hi best friend"  and the server immediately says  "Hi Juliette....you must have the day off from school.  Nice to see you.  Do you want your usual?"

Juliette says "No, I am having those scattered potatoes and a double order of sausage and orange juice."  While we were eating  "best friend" comes over and asks Juliette how everything is.  Juliette replied that it was great but the sausages were too small so she liked Gramma's better.  The waitress laughed her head off and shortly returned with another order of sausage and said "This is on me."  Juliette was thrilled and I was happy that I was able to experience going here with her
 for  the last 7 years.

It may not be everyone's "Roadfood"  but it certainly is for Juliette and me..............and us going there together so often will always be a treasured Roadfood memory for her and for me.
post edited by Greymo - 2013/12/07 20:27:57
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/07 20:54:18 (permalink)
scattered but not smothered or covered?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/08 12:11:40 (permalink)
Beautiful, Greymo.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1