Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes

Author
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
2010/06/17 14:08:56 (permalink)

Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes

I am stumped as to what is a Dusty Road and CMP??

16 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 14:14:52 (permalink)
    CMP is chocolate, marshmallow and peanuts.

I would have chosen "none of the above" if that were an option.  I like creme de menthe sundaes (with vanilla ice cream) or caramel sundaes (with chocolate ice cream).

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 15:24:48 (permalink)
    I only knew what one of them was - the banana split.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 15:28:58 (permalink)
    At least as I've had them, a Dusty Road is a vanilla sundae with malted milk powder on it.

Of the choices given, the Turtle is probably my favorite, but really, I don't do sundaes much.  When I do, the ones I like a good peanut parfait (something like the DQ Peanut Buster, but with better ice cream) and the Ghiradelli Espresso Escape:

(Damn this lactose intolerance, I don't get to enjoy these much)
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 15:34:23 (permalink)
    I would have chosen none of the above too. I like a scoop of coffee, a scoop of chocolate, hot fudge over the coffee and caramel over the chocolate topped with whipped cream.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 15:39:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification.  I too would say none of the above.  I am just a hot fudge over vanilla type.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 16:13:01 (permalink)
    Agnes I like your combinations. Graeter's the Cincinnsy-based regional ice cream parlors make an outstanding Mocha Chip with large chunks of dark choc. in the mocha ice cream. The also do an outstanding Toffee Chip with huge chunks of "heath bar toffee" in the carmel-base ice cream.  Both flavors are really great, but to get a scoop of each in a big waffle-cone beats almost ever Sundae i have ever had.

I do recall loving the Swiss Amond Choc. Sundaes at Friendlys a long time ago. I would choose Buttercrunch or a simiar flavor ice cream, then they would top the three scoops with a think Milk Choc topping and Marshmellow whip as well.  Very Sweet, but really a good dessert.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 16:20:29 (permalink)
    kaszeta 

(Damn this lactose intolerance, I don't get to enjoy these much)

Lactaid!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 16:49:16 (permalink)
    None of the above for me, too.  Over vanilla (or, better yet, French vanilla) ice cream, I like hot fudge or hot caramel or regular caramel or blueberry, strawberry or peach preserves. (Most of the commercial fruit ice cream toppings are like a thin syrup and lacking in real fruit.)
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 17:07:14 (permalink)
    One of my favorite sundaes used to be served at Fortnum & Mason's Fountain Restaurant in London.  It was scoops of coffee and chocolate ice creams topped with bittersweet chocolate sauce, garnished with miniature macaroons and whipped cream.

About 20 years ago, they changed the name of the sundae to "Piccadilly Poppet" from a politically-incorrect name that you can probably imagine.

A few years ago, they closed the Fountain Restaurant for renovations, and when it re-opened, they had eliminated ice cream sundaes from the menu.  Now you can only get ice cream in the "Ice Cream Parlour," and the Piccadilly Poppet is no more. 

Sigh.  Still, I might try the "Patio Nut Delight" - pistachio, praline and coffee ice cream with caramel sauce, roast flaked almonds, and whipped cream.

And the Fountain Restaurant still serves terrific welsh rarebit.  

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/17 17:59:25 (permalink)
    I used to love hot fudge sundaes, butterscotch sundaes and banana royales -- no nuts on any of them.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 09:40:45 (permalink)
    rumaki
    A few years ago, they closed the Fountain Restaurant for renovations, and when it re-opened, they had eliminated ice cream sundaes from the menu.  Now you can only get ice cream in the "Ice Cream Parlour," and the Piccadilly Poppet is no more. 

Sigh.  Still, I might try the "Patio Nut Delight" - pistachio, praline and coffee ice cream with caramel sauce, roast flaked almonds, and whipped cream.

And the Fountain Restaurant still serves terrific welsh rarebit.  

Interesting.  I usually go out to the Fountain for breakfast when I'm in London (my brother and s-i-l live walking distance  from there).  I'll have to try the rarebit.

That's where I got this bad boy:

I'll have to try the ice cream parlour.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 13:54:50 (permalink)
    That's a PEB: Partial English Breakfast. No evidence of beans, 'shrooms or fried bread.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 14:48:19 (permalink)
    None of the above for me either. My choice would be a Hot Fudge sundae, plain and simple. IMO a banana split is not a sundae, it is an ice cream specialty dessert.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 14:51:48 (permalink)
    I would have chosen a strawberry sundae or a banana sunday..or both...I agree a banana split is not a simple sundae.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 19:16:56 (permalink)
    susanll

I am stumped as to what is a Dusty Road and CMP??

SO SO sad (from my personal perspective)... I grew up eating Dusty Roads!!! YUM!!!!

In Walnut Creek, California was an ice cream parlor called Lippert's. They made a Dusty Road as a hot fudge sundae with malt powder on the fudge under the whipped cream (and a bit over the cream too). I had mine with no nuts but I don't remember if that was standard. The place has been gone a long time now (rebuilt into a Cost Plus Imports...).

They also had a collection of little paper "road signs" they stuck in the top. I still probably have some back at my parents' house. Mini stop or one way signs etc.

Yum. It's been years but now I want one NOW!
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    Re:Roadfood Poll - Favorite Sundaes 2010/06/18 19:21:07 (permalink)
    kaszeta

Interesting.  I usually go out to the Fountain for breakfast when I'm in London (my brother and s-i-l live walking distance  from there). 

... I'll have to try the ice cream parlour.

Walking distance from F&Ms is one PRICEY address. Want to introduce me to your relatives please...?!?! (I'm a poor grad student in the UK!)

The ice cream at F&M is okay (admittedly been a long time since I have had it there) but ice cream in the UK is generally just so-so at best. Of course good gelati is around, but local ice cream is not great with a few small dairy exceptions. Then again, we can get Ben & Jerry's here now (showing my age), so who can complain really?!?!

Nice shot of a FEB btw.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1