The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 3:27 PM (permalink)
Hey, this is unfair. This should be multiple choice. We always had the same food for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 4:31 PM (permalink)
    Yes, but doesn't it always taste better the first time you have it at Thanksgiving?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 4:41 PM (permalink)
      Truth to tell, I don't remember. I haven't celebrated either since 1997. But, if memory serves, it tasted just as great the seond time.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
        RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 4:44 PM (permalink)
        May I suggest you consider not repeating Thanksgiving's menu at Christmas? Turkey day is indeed centered around the meal and the gathering of family and friends along with the higher aspirations of the day. Get those extra people into the kitchen and put them to work! Christmas is another day entirely. Let's look for a dinner that's sumptuous while being very easy on the cook. For me, that's steak, baked potato, and one perfect fresh green vegetable--whatever looks best the day you shop for it. Buy prepared hors d'oeuvres and desert. Hot fudge sundaes? You get the idea!

I looked at that survey first thing, and I'm not going to reply. How could I decide? When asked which was his favorite Christmas, Grampa Walton said "The next one!"

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
          RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 4:56 PM (permalink)
          Michael Hoffman, shame on you! Did they outlaw Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in Ohio??

The thing I like about Thanksgiving is that you don't have to put up a tree, lights, buy presents and shop like mad, wrap presents, get bows and ribbon, bake cookies. It's just about the FOOD! And it smells SOOOO good! I think by the time Christmas rolls around everybody is too pooped to smell or appreciate the meal.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
            RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 5:03 PM (permalink)
            You are so right about that Lisa. Thanksgiving is all about the celebration around the food, while Christmas is so many other things.

Besides, by the time Christmas comes around, I'm tired of cooking.

Bring on the chili and tamales!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 5:08 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by lleechef

Michael Hoffman, shame on you! Did they outlaw Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in Ohio??
              <

Nothing like that. It's just that since my wife died I don't enjoy the holidays.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 5:27 PM (permalink)
                I had to go with the 4th of July, That's based on my memories of the way it was celebrated as I grew up. My Father threw the biggest bash of the year. While there were steaks & Polish dogs on the grill, there was also homemade crab soup, steamed crabs & steamed shrimp. The potato salad was German and big pots of corn cooking on the side. The crowd (40 to 50 people) would start to arrive aound 1PM and still be there at 10PM. Forays would be made out to parades & fireworks. This was all engineered by my Dad, he loved this holiday. It somehow seemed appropriate when he passed away on July 6,1992 at the end of a long holiday weekend. I won't get started on the tales of the parties, I could probably fill a book with them, just imagine liquor, heat & men and you'll know what I mean.

This year the 4th will mean the end of the cicadas, a whole new meaning to independence!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 05/18/04 5:35 PM (permalink)
                  Men in heat?

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                    RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Wed, 05/19/04 7:29 PM (permalink)
                    Something like that!! It leads to performing strange feats to impress the ladies!!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Wed, 05/19/04 10:40 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                      Originally posted by lleechef

<

Nothing like that. It's just that since my wife died I don't enjoy the holidays.

Sorry to hear about your wife... But please dont ignore the Turkey, Smashed Spuds, Gravey and rest of the trimmings! (Or Ham, or Pheasant, or Rabbit or Elsie the cow....)...

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                        RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Fri, 05/21/04 5:48 PM (permalink)
                        Please consider that one day the holidays will bring more pleasant memories than bad ones. My experience is that time strengthens the good memories. The last gift my late partner gave me is a wonderful artificial Christmas tree. I take great pleasure in still using that tree, and adding to the decorations we bought together. Before my mother died of cancer, she told my dad to remarry soon. I took her advice. I hope you will forge better memories too.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                          RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Mon, 12/10/07 12:59 PM (permalink)
                          Texas Eating Tour 2008 - I can't vote because I don't know any of these places or items. Maybe I am in the minority.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Roadfood Poll--Updated Dec 2007 Tue, 12/11/07 6:42 AM (permalink)
                            Susan,
                            We probaly should start a new thread for your question...but what the heck.
                            I voted for the Brisket. In Texas that is often the meat of choice at BBQ places. Pork and Poultry are also served, but it are second and third on the list of choices in many places.

I noted the 'Prime Rib' option, and while that sounds great, I tried some at last year's get together and found that the Prime Rib was almost mushy, with a lot of un-rendered fat globs on the meat. I did not care for the cut of meat (compared to the Brisket or Beef Rib). Plus it is just not "finger food" in my book!!
                            Here is a photo of the brisket (left) and a slice of the Prime Rib (right) BTW that's over $10 invested in the one piece of Prime Rib.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com