Celebrating 35 Years At The Top

"Jessica"
By The Allman Brothers Band

What's #2

29 Replies Related Threads

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/06 21:13:38 (permalink)
    Sirius.
    jinjo76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/06 21:41:52 (permalink)
    Recently this,

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47F19D84DAE7F20CE9B314EC6E325D201D157F78F172C0456D3B82D58980972ED59E695CEAEFC6AB679AFF962AD500BD3C0EA56ECBC1B&sql=10:pz5tk60x9krf

and this,

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47F19D84DAE7F20CE9B314EC6E325D201D157F78F172C0456D3B82D58980972ED59E695CEAEFC6AB679AFF962AD500BD3C0EA56ECBC1B&sql=10:wh90s39ba3pg

Click on the speaker to listen. The only way I could let you listen was to keep my login on. Please don't change any of my personal fields, I do trust everyone here.

The Higgs Mechanism

Unlike protons and neutrons, truly elementary particles--such as quarks and electrons--are not made up of smaller pieces. The explanation of how they acquire their rest masses gets to the very heart of the problem of the origin of mass. As I noted above, the account proposed by contemporary theoretical physics is that fundamental particle masses arise from interactions with the Higgs field. But why is the Higgs field present throughout the universe? Why isn't its strength essentially zero on cosmic scales, like the electromagnetic field? What is the Higgs field? T

he Higgs field is a quantum field. That may sound mysterious, but the fact is that all elementary particles arise as quanta of a corresponding quantum field. The electromagnetic field is also a quantum field (its corresponding elementary particle is the photon). So in this respect, the Higgs field is no more enigmatic than electrons and light. The Higgs field does, however, differ from all other quantum fields in three crucial ways.

The first difference is somewhat technical. All fields have a property called spin, an intrinsic quantity of angular momentum that is carried by each of their particles. Particles such as electrons have spin 1/2 and most particles associated with a force, such as the photon, have spin 1. The Higgs boson (the particle of the Higgs field) has spin 0. Having 0 spin enables the Higgs field to appear in the Lagrangian in different ways than the other particles do, which in turn allows--and leads to--its other two distinguishing features.

The second unique property of the Higgs field explains how and why it has nonzero strength throughout the universe. Any system, including a universe, will tumble into its lowest energy state, like a ball bouncing down to the bottom of a valley. For the familiar fields, such as the electromagnetic fields that give us radio broadcasts, the lowest energy state is the one in which the fields have zero value (that is, the fields vanish)--if any nonzero field is introduced, the energy stored in the fields increases the net energy of the system. But for the Higgs field, the energy of the universe is lower if the field is not zero but instead has a constant nonzero value. In terms of the valley metaphor, for ordinary fields the valley floor is at the location of zero field; for the Higgs, the valley has a hillock at its center (at zero field) and the lowest point of the valley forms a circle around the hillock. The universe, like a ball, comes to rest somewhere on this circular trench, which corresponds to a nonzero value of the field. That is, in its natural, lowest energy state, the universe is permeated throughout by a nonzero Higgs field.

The final distinguishing characteristic of the Higgs field is the form of its interactions with the other particles. Particles that interact with the Higgs field behave as if they have mass, proportional to the strength of the field times the strength of the interaction. The masses arise from the terms in the Lagrangian that have the particles interacting with the Higgs field.

Our understanding of all this is not yet complete, however, and we are not sure how many kinds of Higgs fields there are. Although the Standard Model requires only one Higgs field to generate all the elementary particle masses, physicists know that the Standard Model must be superseded by a more complete theory. Leading contenders are extensions of the Standard Model known as Supersymmetric Standard Models (SSMs). In these models, each Standard Model particle has a so-called superpartner (as yet undetected) with closely related properties[see 'The Dawn of Physics beyond the Standard Model,' by Gordon Kane; Scientific American, June 2003]. With the Supersymmetric Standard Model, at least two different kinds of Higgs fields are needed. Interactions with those two fields give mass to the Standard Model particles. They also give some (but not all) mass to the superpartners. The two Higgs fields give rise to five species of Higgs boson: three that are electrically neutral and two that are charged. The masses of particles called neutrinos, which are tiny compared with other particle masses, could arise rather indirectly from these interactions or from yet a third kind of Higgs field.

Theorists have several reasons for expecting the SSM picture of the Higgs interaction to be correct. First, without the Higgs mechanism, the W and Z bosons that mediate the weak force would be massless, just like the photon (which they are related to), and the weak interaction would be as strong as the electromagnetic one. Theory holds that the Higgs mechanism confers mass to the W and Z in a very special manner. Predictions of that approach (such as the ratio of the W and Z masses) have been confirmed experimentally.

Second, essentially all other aspects of the Standard Model have been well tested, and with such a detailed, interlocking theory it is difficult to change one part (such as the Higgs) without affecting the rest. For example, the analysis of precision measurements of W and Z boson properties led to the accurate prediction of the top quark mass before the top quark had been directly produced. Changing the Higgs mechanism would spoil that and other successful predictions.

Third, the Standard Model Higgs mechanism works very well for giving mass to all the Standard Model particles, W and Z bosons, as well as quarks and leptons; the alternative proposals usually do not. Next, unlike the other theories, the SSM provides a framework to unify our understanding of the forces of nature. Finally, the SSM can explain why the energy "valley" for the universe has the shape needed by the Higgs mechanism. In the basic Standard Model the shape of the valley has to be put in as a postulate, but in the SSM that shape can be derived mathematically.

Jonathan
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/06 21:57:03 (permalink)
    On a recent road trip, in Georgia listened to the Allman Brothers, in Alabama it was Skynard (even though they're from Florida), in Tennessee it was Elvis, Roy Orbison, Rufus Thomas, Johnny Cash, and a bunch of Sun Studios stuff, in Mississippi it was Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Besse Smith, and Sonny Boy Williamson, in Louisiana it was the Meters, Eddie Bo, Lee Dorsey, Dr. John, and Juvenile, in Texas furgettaboutit it was Waylon, Willie, Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Joe Shaver, ZZ Top, Lightnin' Hopkins, and Townes Van Zandt. That's pretty sad. It really was this planned out. It was like a soundtrack to the area I was in. It did feel right. It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/06 23:02:07 (permalink)
    how about the song "on the road again" !.........willie nelson

then there's "cheeseburger in paradise", the jimmy buffet classic..
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/06 23:11:51 (permalink)
    We have Jimmy going on our roadtrips...... and yes, Pirate Looks At 40 is my favorite.

Dennis in Caryritaville
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/07 00:44:00 (permalink)
    Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, the Who, Talking Heads, Hank Williams.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/07 06:15:10 (permalink)
    I mainly listen to satellite radio now, but I think Supertramp's "Breakfast in America" is a great roadtrip CD.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/07 12:54:55 (permalink)
    You might laugh, but my favorite genre for a road trip is good old, up tempo southern gospel. Favorite older groups are the Statesmen, the Cathedrals, Blackwood Bros., and the Chuck Wagon Gang. Favorite current group is the Dove Bros.

I also like up tempo bluegrass music.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/07 13:45:48 (permalink)
    Well, if you insist on draggin it out of me,,,I listen to myself and Aaron on our cd Up Against the Wall. It's piano, acoustic guitar, vocals, violins folk/pop/r&b/Indie type stuff. Our entire gift package is available in what else, but a lunch box.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/07 18:26:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Well, if you insist on draggin it out of me,,,I listen to myself and Aaron on our cd Up Against the Wall. It's piano, acoustic guitar, vocals, violins folk/pop/r&b/Indie type stuff. Our entire gift package is available in what else, but a lunch box.

Ok --if i ask for it your not running free ads---so---Hey--got a link to where i can buy that lunchbox!!---and how big do your tee shirts get!???
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/08 07:48:51 (permalink)
    "Jessica" is definitely in my top 10 favorites. I have a "Best of Canned Heat" that's always in my car but, once you get past their "big two", the other tunes don't measure up. pb
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/08 09:56:45 (permalink)
    I like the soundtrack to "Stand By Me."
    I also listen to a fair amount of orchestral music when driving. Clean Air, Refreshing Music...great for a Sunday Drive.

pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/09 08:46:18 (permalink)
    depends on my mood. I have a 35 years of Sesame Street songs collection that is great for a long trip since I remember the first season. I love the soundtrack to Shrek, Shrek 2 is not as good, but has its' moments. The Best of The Call, Empire by Quweensriche, Indigo Girls albums, Johnny Cash, Christmas tunes.

Just depends...
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/09 09:53:14 (permalink)
    Tiki, thanks for asking. The entire set with cd/lunch box/shot/magnet/matches/t-shirt runs $30.00, this includes me sending it via UPS. I currently have t-shirts size S-XXL in a neat vegas gold type color. If you need a different size I can print one up easy as that's my real job. My paypal account is tony@roberts-specialty.com.

Thanks Again,
    Tony Bennett
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/09 09:57:21 (permalink)
    Traditional Radio and CDs. While it's true some stations have become homogenous to a fault, there are still some amazing non-commercial choices and some great R & B and Country choices especially in the south. Or Sunday gospel?
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/09 10:35:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Traditional Radio and CDs. While it's true some stations have become homogenous to a fault, there are still some amazing non-commercial choices and some great R & B and Country choices especially in the south. Or Sunday gospel?
    You're totally correct.In SC everything on the left of the dial is mostly Gospel or Country.To the right are mainstream programmed junk like Wave 104,or something like that.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/03/10 18:11:59 (permalink)
    Now and then I'll luck into having the right music for the right place.

-Late autumn/early winter a few years back I had 'In Gabriel's Garden' w/ Wynton Marsalis on going through the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, as tiny silvery leaves tumbled through the mountain passes...the grand, magnificent Baroque music was perfect there.

-Some time later I was driving through the SC lowlands in ferociously hot summer weather - I had a greatest-hits cd of Ray Charles on between Edisto Island and Yemassee, barreling under the live oaks with a big cup of boiled peanuts. Couldn't have been more ideal.
    lucassal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/25 09:32:13 (permalink)
    Jackson Browne's Running on Empty has several good road songs on it.
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/25 12:50:34 (permalink)
    "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws
    azure
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/25 22:02:27 (permalink)
    "wide open spaces", dixie chicks
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/25 23:57:41 (permalink)
    I'll start out with the Doors, then flip in some Rob Zombie and finish off a long trip with Pink Floyd (or maybe some more Doors).
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/26 10:35:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I'll start out with the Doors, then flip in some Rob Zombie and finish off a long trip with Pink Floyd (or maybe some more Doors).

I moved this thread to the miscellaneous section.

As for tunes, I wanna travel with UncleVic for the middle of his trip. I am lukewarm on the Doors, but like Rob Zombie. "Thunder Kiss '65" is a great driving tune...as long as you aren't driving slow!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/27 03:36:09 (permalink)
    Good God people, where is ZZTop in all of this. Gotta have some ZZTop for any roadtrip.

MikeS.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/05/27 09:17:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

You might laugh, but my favorite genre for a road trip is good old, up tempo southern gospel. Favorite older groups are the Statesmen, the Cathedrals, Blackwood Bros., and the Chuck Wagon Gang. Favorite current group is the Dove Bros.

Not laughing at all. We love black gospel music. It's the soul in Soul music and it's still alive. If you love Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Sam and Dave, etc., etc., you're listening to church voices.
    Our favorite CD's are "The Live Experience" by the Rance Allen Group, "Nothing But the Hits" by the Canton Spirituals, and a fantastic gospel box set by the name of "Testify!". Other good ones for the road include Aretha Franklin's "Amazing Grace", and "Home Once Again" by Twinkie Clark ("Detroit's own...the Queen of the Hammond B3!!!).

improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/06/01 17:10:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

You're totally correct.In SC everything on the left of the dial is mostly Gospel or Country.To the right are mainstream programmed junk like Wave 104,or something like that.

Jeepguy, you are correct about the state of radio in South Carolina. It's mostly garbage, Country or Clear Channel or Clear Channel-owned Country. I love Country but when you can go hours and hours without hearing Johnny Cash or Willie or George Jones, something's seriously wrong.

I mostly listen to WNCW 88.7 out of Spindale, NC. It's a great radio station, they play a little bit of everything. One minute it's Johnny Cash, the next it's Roky Erikson. Great stuff.

http://www.wncw.org

I know Ort. Carlton can provide other Southern radio station recommendations. Ort, where ya at?
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/06/01 17:13:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

skylar, Are you familiar with the Blind Boys Of Alabama? They're terrific. I'm not really religious but I can't get enough of them. Great harmonies. I also love Ralph Stanley. Recovering from heart surgery, he's still going strong, still touring. I got to see him a few months back and it's still the highlight of my year.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/06/01 17:22:12 (permalink)

Anything by the Eagles, Steve Miller, Journey, ARS, or Bob Seger.

Allman bros stand on their own. LONG LIVE DWAYNE!!!!!!

Dang good listening,
    Copper
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/06/08 07:51:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Good God people, where is ZZTop in all of this. Gotta have some ZZTop for any roadtrip.

MikeS.
    Thank you for your thoughts. They have legs. Especially nice if you are a sharp-dressed man.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: Roadfood Roadtrip Tunes 2006/06/11 03:07:27 (permalink)
    I had the fun and privelege of being the runner for the band (ZZ Top)one night about 10 years ago when they played in Fresno. This was somewhere after their Antenna album came out. After the gig I was able to share a couple shots of Crown Royal with the band and friends. I would have worked that show for free!

MikeS.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1