The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Roadfood at city and farm markets

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 4:28 PM (permalink)
I just love to go to every city and farm market that I can find when I am traveling, and when at home. I have found some of the best roadfood that you could ask for at these markets. Right here in Baltimore, you have so many choices for good food at Lexington Market and at Cross Street Market. I enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Westminster Penn Dutch market last week and the best Philly cheesesteak that I ever had was purchased at Reading Market terminal and NOT at one of the "famous" places in Philly. We stopped at the farmer's market in Charlottesville, Va. not long ago and enjoyed delicious hot doughnuts right out of the fryer. I could go on and on and wonder about what experiences that you have had. It would be great to have a list ready for the next time we are on the road!

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
    RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 4:31 PM (permalink)
    There is a great (Southern Fried)seafood restaurant at the farmer's market in Raleigh, NC. AND just across the street is "Big Ed's", the best down home cooking (down home being southern farm country). There is also a "Big Ed's" in the restored "City Market" in downtown Raleigh. If you enjoy true roadfood, you should never get within 50 miles of Raleigh without eating at "Big Ed's". Of the 2 locations, I prefer the one in "City Market". Ed is usually on premises at the City Market location, wearing his red checked shirt, bib overalls and Rolex.

jgleduc

• Total Posts: 145
      RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 4:46 PM (permalink)
      Back in early June I was in St. Paul, Minnesota, and had a chance to visit the main farmer's market there. It was still early in the season, so the veggies were mostly peas and such, but the food was wonderful. Cheese curds, ice cream, fresh squeezed lemonade, jerky, beautiful freshly made pizza, all sorts of meats and sausage...it was really wonderful. There's a farmer's market that meets down the street from me and while it's fun, we just don't see the sort of variety that exists in farm country. And nowhere near the scale, either. I've often wondered what the farmer's markets in western MA are like - there must be some worth taking a drive to check out.

My brother insists that the best farmer's market anywhere is in Madison, Wisconsin. I haven't been, but I'd bet it would be a contender.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
        RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 4:50 PM (permalink)
        There's a superb Amish market, including a cafe serving breakfast and lunch, at the Annapolis Harbour Center, off of Route 50 just west of Annapolis. Operates Thurs-Sat. Amish are driven down from PA and back each day with their wares. Dairy, baked goods, on-site butcher, produce, pickles, fresh soft pretzels, ice cream, etc. They've just added a furniture annex, making it something of an Amish superstore.

Sundancer7

RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 4:59 PM (permalink)
          Downtown Lancaster, PA has a great Amish market that is open three days a week. If its Amish, its there. From fresh sausage, fruits, veggies, baked goods, clothing, jellies and etc.

In a very old neat building very close to the museum.

The whole area around Lancaster is really neat. The neat farms. First time I had ever seen a young boy working a four horse team. Real colorful towns close by such as Intercourse, Pa, Blueballs, PA, etc.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
            RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 5:24 PM (permalink)
            We have a sort of shabby but nice-sized Farmers' market in Allentown PA - a great variety of booths from Amish bakeries and butchers to Middle Eastern and Italian prepared foods, corn pies, lots of fresh offal, a stand selling only pickles, and many others. Open Thurs-Sat only. Next door to the market is the Ritz BBQ, which any roadfoodie is sure to enjoy.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
              RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 9:04 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by jpatweb

There's a superb Amish market, including a cafe serving breakfast and lunch, at the Annapolis Harbour Center, off of Route 50 just east of Annapolis. Operates Thurs-Sat. Amish are driven down from PA and back each day with their wares. Dairy, baked goods, on-site butcher, produce, pickles, fresh soft pretzels, ice cream, etc. They've just added a furniture annex, making it something of an Amish superstore.

Could you tell me how to get there from Baltimore? I would love to take our "au pair" there tomorrow.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Wed, 07/16/03 9:36 PM (permalink)
                If ever in the Lancaster County, PA area, Root's Market is definitely worth a visit! Only on Tuesdays, though...

Meowzart

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 8:45 AM (permalink)
                  In the Philly area, there are some farmer's markets that have Amish-run stalls. They include the Stratford Farmer's Market on Rt. 30 in Stratford, PA; the Ardmore Farmer's Market in Suburban Square in Ardmore, PA; and even the venerable Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia.

foodguy

• Total Posts: 21
                    RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 8:54 AM (permalink)
                    I was in Monteray CAli and there was a street fair with great pizza, fried dough, old fashionned popcorn, and stuffed breads. Didnt get a chance to stay too long.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
                      RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 9:01 AM (permalink)
                      I started to write directions down but figured it'd be better for you to go right to the source (www.annapolisharbourcenter.com). The market is in the shopping center. I think they close around 3 so don't go too late. Bring a cooler for perishables, have fun, and report back.
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
                      Originally posted by jpatweb

There's a superb Amish market, including a cafe serving breakfast and lunch, at the Annapolis Harbour Center, off of Route 50 just east of Annapolis. Operates Thurs-Sat. Amish are driven down from PA and back each day with their wares. Dairy, baked goods, on-site butcher, produce, pickles, fresh soft pretzels, ice cream, etc. They've just added a furniture annex, making it something of an Amish superstore.

Could you tell me how to get there from Baltimore? I would love to take our "au pair" there tomorrow.

Herron

• Total Posts: 25
                        RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 9:57 AM (permalink)
                        We mentioned the sausages at the West Side Market in Cleveland in the sausage forum. But, they deserve another plug . Whenever we visit Cleveland, we hit the market to stock up on pierogi, olives and sausage. In the corner of the market, you can buy delicious hot Italian sausages or kielbasa on a hard or soft roll (sauteed onions and peppers for the former, sauerkraut for the latter). It is a great way to start your shopping experience!

Info on the West Side Market can be found here: http://www.westsidemarket.com/

Sundancer7

RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 10:02 AM (permalink)
                          Herron: The last time I visited the West Side Market in Cleveland was in 1975. I remember the guy who made peanut butter right on the spot and they had some great cheese shops.

Glad to see it is still thriving. Seems to me it was close to West 25th St.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                            RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 2:31 PM (permalink)
                            re farmers markets: most of the mid-size cities in South Central or South Eastern Pa have fartmers markets with a strong Amish or Mennonite presence (Harrisburg, York and Allentown being examples)Reading Terminal market in Philla has a number of Amish and Mennonite vendors. The crown jewel hovever is Central Market in Lancaster,just off Penn Square in the center of the city. Housed in a cavernousand beautifully restored 120 year old brick market house ,the market is open Tuesdays and Fridays from 6am until 4pm and Saturdays 6 until 2.Try to go tuesdays or friday as early as possible as many of the farm vendors are not present on Saturday and may tend to close early on the other days. Highlights are Long's Horseradish (the proprietor grates the horseradish in front of a giant fan so the aroma wafts throughout the immediate vicinity) Hodeckers celery (featuring white celery).S. Clyde Weaver (The best meeats and sausages) kaufmans fruit farm (excellent apple cider).

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                              RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 3:02 PM (permalink)
                              Just a few miles south of rt 142 on Hwy 69 in oklahoma, you will see a sign pointing east down the gravel road---1/2 mile out on the left is an Amich farm--the bakery is in the barn---the food is wonderful!!!!Pies of berry,apple,raisen,pecan and the best peach pie i ever ate in my life.Pumpkin bread,whole wheat bread,oatmeal and white bread,cookies----its a jewel of a place and one of my favorite finds since moving here, Ten miles further south--just before Muskogee stop at Porter for wonderful peaches on left just past the Muscogge turnpike.if you in the area---check em out!

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                Brookquarry: I must agree with you about the Long's Horseradish! It it THE BEST! Anywhere!! And you can only get it in So. Cent. PA. It is a precious commodity!

Herron

• Total Posts: 25
                                  RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Sundancer: I fear that the peanut butter guy is gone... at least I have never seen him there (but, Cleveland is a long haul from Kansas, so I don't get there often). I'll ask my father-in-law, though. He has visited the West Side Market regularly for decades. The cheese shops have a decent selection, but I bought some Shropshire Blue recently that was a bit dry. Zingerman's in Ann Arbor is the place where I have found the best cheese and olives.

Pierogi Palace at the market is awesome, though. According to the woman who works there, Rachel Ray from the Food Network was there recently to tape $40 a Day. So, maybe the market will get some well-deserved national attention.

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
                                    RE: Roadfood at city and farm markets Thu, 07/17/03 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                    I don't know if Pensauken mart is still around in New Jersey on Rt. 73 near Philadephia. When I went there years ago, they had all kinds of great food, with memorable soft pretzels for only 25 cents.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com