Roadfood for Diabetics

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
2013/01/22 19:01:40 (permalink)

Roadfood for Diabetics

OK, so I am coming out of the closet as a Type II Diabetic. That's one of the main reasons I haven't been on here much. For years I could sample small bites and have the occasional burger, but as the illness progresses I must get super-strict. No white flour, sugar, rice or baking potatoes.

So far I have found these staples for going out:

Kabobs and rotisserie chicken (Armenian and Greek food)

BBQ

Chinese Food

Mexican (I can really only order platters or mole or chile relleno, and it makes me sad I can't have tortillas or margaritas)

Italian (Chicken or eggplant Parm, chicken marsala)

I'm still not sure about pasta

Any other diabetics out there ready to join my club? What do you eat to keep your sugar down and still enjoy the Roadfood lifestyle?

34 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7892
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/22 19:59:40 (permalink)
    As someone who is "borderline diabetic" I found out (at least for me) that losing weight and being active puts it into complete 100% remission, I can still enjoy anything I want but I have to keep the weight off and remain active however when I put weight back on, it rears its ugly head again.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3539
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/23 12:59:10 (permalink)
    I'm not, but my mother is borderline diabetic. She's a big fan of sourdough bread for sandwiches, although often she'll just get them without bread. There is no such thing as restaurant pasta that's acceptable carb-wise...whole wheat pasta is barely acceptable a maximum of 2-3 times a month at home, and I have yet to find a restaurant that serves WW pasta.

Tortillas actually have less carbs than you'd think. Her doctor recommended she eat them instead of bread. Not all the time, of course, but she's allowed to order food made with them like burritos. She's not supposed to just eat tortilla chips, though. And of course if your doctor has told you not to eat them, then by all means don't listen to me over him/her!

Burgers she does without the bun, or on sourdough bread if it's an option. And instead of fries she'll get a salad (if it's an option) or coleslaw. On the rare occasion she does get fries, she always eats them with vinegar. There's some science with vinegar where it makes the carbs less bad, or maybe it's that it breaks them down or something. I don't remember exactly, but her doctor said she should also eat dill pickles pretty often because of the vinegar.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/23 14:37:31 (permalink)
    type two here---and so far doing well--cut portions WAY back---avoiding to many carbs--do miss my pasta--but--there are some decent whole grain one FINALLY!!!--and i still eat tortilla's---corn only and not a lot of them! I carry my own stevia--(GOT to have my sweet tea!)--keeps me off the soda's and lemonades--i really miss Root beers. oh--and this is GREAT!!!!!  http://www.julianbakery.com/ Bread you CAN eat!---and its good---not cheap--but good

post edited by tiki - 2013/01/23 14:40:02
    Saxdragon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/24 02:13:33 (permalink)
    My endo old me 'if I like it, I can't have it'.  Since going on insulin, I have a little more freedom and can have some of my favorites again.

I don 't know why people reccommend pasta.  Yeah, it makes you feel full, but it'll run my sugar up (plus it's calorie high, so it's not even a good diet food).  If I'm going o have a 200+ sugar spike for diner, let it be BBQ and not Spaghetti  :-)

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/25 04:19:26 (permalink)
    I was told pasta is low on the glycemic index, although high in carbs. I kind of want to get one of those 24-hour glucose monitoring devices so I can just stare at it as I eat different things.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/25 09:15:29 (permalink)
    15 years of diabetes has me agreeing with saxdragon's doc. Moderation is the key and don't double dip i.e. If you have pasta, no bread. All pasta is bad, whole wheat a bit less so. Rice is a killer for my glucose numbers. I hope you see an endocrinologist as most docs haven't a clue,. For ten years I never had a slice of pie or cake; not a one. Ditto for cookies. I kept getting "worse". I know now that carbs are the culprit. While you sleep your body is busy turning carbs into glucose. Complex carbs turn into glucose slower so you don't spike but they still turn. If you eat smaller portions of "poor choice for diabetics food" you should be fine. Remember, small or no portions of pasta, rice, potato, tortillas, and bread but unless cholesterol is a problem, you can eat more proteins. Good luck.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/26 16:45:36 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mil, yes I have a great endocrinologist. She reminds me of Lisa Kudrow. I started walking for a half an hour at lunch and cut out the night time snack and that is helping a lot.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 07:55:48 (permalink)
    Keeping his diet as low carb as possible has helped my husband a lot! He is not a huge pasta fan but grew up in Louisiana where rice was served two or even three times a day! Now it is a treat. I've enjoyed coming up with carb alternatives like zucchini instead of lasagna noodles and spaghetti squash instead of other pasta. If anyone has any favorite low carb dishes please share. I'll do the same.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 09:25:23 (permalink)
    LOVE SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH WITH RED SAUCE--TRIED IT AFTER A FRIEND SUGGESTED IT AND AM NOW ADDICTED!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 11:45:49 (permalink)
    agnesrob, I have so many low carb dishes (many of them my own creations) it's not even funny! I've been cooking for my mother under her 25 carbs or less per plate restriction for almost three years, so I've built up quite a collection. Anything in particular you're interested in, as far as main dishes, side dishes, etc.? We never were much for eating desserts, so I don't have many of those, but other foods I've got a ridiculous amount.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 12:27:34 (permalink)
    Rice is a killer, potatoes not so much.....One serving of pasta is 1/2 cup which is perfectly acceptable, according to my Doc who specializes in all things diabetes. You can have a cookie here and there, or a small piece of pie....As he told me, if everyone ate like a diabetic, the whole country would be healthy. Its about portion control and making better choices, just like we all should.
    agnesrob
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 13:38:38 (permalink)
    I so agree Ann although I have trouble with that portion thing!
    Felix, I would love some ideas for vegetable sides. My husband can't eat broccoli or cauliflower or most beans(well he can but he would have to live alone for a few days if you know what I mean). tonight I'm making baked chicken wings, and a few thighs, marinated in a teriyaki style marinade. I will do steamed green beans and okra and tomatoes( using a can of Rote'ls for this) to go along. He loves peas and asparagus(too expensive right now) and all kinds of squash. Also greens of all kinds.
    Sometimes I feel uninspired. I guess that's why I prowl the blogs and boards such as this.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 13:56:38 (permalink)
    Eating Well magazine has a great diabetic cookbook. I am pre pre boaderline and can eat whatever I want but I bought this book for some ideas. The only thing I have made from it is a broccoli slaw that I took to a family gathering but it is very good about explaing the carb balance.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 14:28:09 (permalink)
    Wandering Jew is my hero-the more you exercise, the lower your blood sugar.Walking is the best-and he does it. There is no" pre" diabetes. You are either one or the other........Under 120 is point is fantastic, over that number you ARE diabetic. However, it can be reversed.......with food in take and exercise.

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 14:38:31 (permalink)
    Tell my doctor that. She likes to emphasize the Pre
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/27 19:35:48 (permalink)
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 15 months ago, but fortunately mine is such a mild case that I haven't had to make any really radical changes in my culinary lifestyle. My doctor said that there wasn't anything that I had to cut out altogether, just reduce the portion size and frequency of some things ( white bread, pasta etc. ) and try to get up off of my lazy butt more often. I'm pretty good at the former, but not so much at the latter ( but I'm trying ).             
    post edited by carolina bob - 2013/01/27 19:57:05
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 13:09:23 (permalink)
    My mother's doctor definitely says there is such a thing as pre-diabetes too. It was an actual diagnosis. How he defined it was someone who is on the high end of normal blood sugar on a regular basis, but who can control it through diet and exercise without having to resort to medication.

agnesrob, here's a link to my low carb cookbook on another site. I've got a ton more recipes too, but that should get you started. I'll put together a list specifically of vegetable side dishes and send you a message in a while. And of course it's a LOT easier to do in summer when fresh produce is in season and not hideously expensive as well as coming from countries I'm not sure I trust for quality.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipebook/low-carb
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 15:43:05 (permalink)
    felix4067

My mother's doctor definitely says there is such a thing as pre-diabetes too. It was an actual diagnosis. How he defined it was someone who is on the high end of normal blood sugar on a regular basis, but who can control it through diet and exercise without having to resort to medication.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipebook/low-carb

Yes, and no. It is true that pre-diabetes is a diagnosis (I beleive that's what I have) however you can still have diabetes and control it through diet, and exercise without medication, or if medication is needed at first you can be weaned off medication with proper diet and exercise.

Although one can be genitically disposed to diabetes,  being diabetic is 100% lifestyle which explains why my brothers were diagnosed, I'm pre diabetic, however my first cousins aren't.....
    agnesrob
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 16:57:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Felix,  Yes, it is definitely better in the summer and early fall for produce. I am lucky to have two farm markets that are open year round. One will close soon. After farming the land for generations the remaining son who still works the farm is in his 80's and ready to retire. None of the kids or grandkids want to continue. Kind of sad but it is understandable. They can sell that land for quite a bit.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 17:20:00 (permalink)
    I guess one can be pre diabetic if they change the situation.And if the numbers are low enough to do so.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 17:54:26 (permalink)
    ann peeples

I guess one can be pre diabetic if they change the situation.And if the numbers are low enough to do so.

Ann, anyone with diabetes will always have numbers on the high side, but just about anyone with diabetes can get fasting glucose under 120 if they get down to their ideal weight (preferably a little under) and exercise at least 5x weekly. The only thing is (and I'm learning this and trust me, it's not easy and I've slipped off the wagon lately) is that they have to maintain this,,,
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 18:51:23 (permalink)
    I'm not arguing either side, since it's not my diagnosis. And to be honest, all I really paid attention to was the fact that I now have to cook dinners with an ideal of 25 carbs per plate, although I'm allowed to go as high as 50 if lunch and breakfast are way low. I'm just saying what my mother's doctor told her...and as my favourite surgeon once told me, it's important to remember that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom 50% of their class.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 19:17:32 (permalink)
    felix4067

I'm not arguing either side, since it's not my diagnosis. And to be honest, all I really paid attention to was the fact that I now have to cook dinners with an ideal of 25 carbs per plate, although I'm allowed to go as high as 50 if lunch and breakfast are way low. I'm just saying what my mother's doctor told her...and as my favourite surgeon once told me, it's important to remember that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom 50% of their class.

Phew......That's a relief  " /> ....I'm glad mine went to Brown Medical School....

One thing that still amazes me are people who have a family history of diabetes, yet work out and pump iron every day and maintain a diet of nothing but whole grains, lean meats and veggies and never even come close to getting the disease....or for that matter come close to getting even pre-diabetes.

I wonder why that is ?? (insert sarcasm smiley here)
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/28 19:21:10
    agnesrob
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 19:40:36 (permalink)
    Bottom 50% of Brown or better WJ? I worked in the hospital industry for about 20 years(my husband still does) as a Respiratory Therapist and Pulmonary Function Technician. Lot's of crappy doctors out there who are all taught to act like they are the best of the best of the best(huge egos)! I always suggest to people to do a lot of research on their own and question their doctor and themselves when getting advice from anyone(MD, PHD OD or whatever). Sorry, Just a mini rant and passion of mine. Now, in the job I have now, Assistant Director of a large daycare/learning center I try to delicately suggest to parents to question their children's pediatricians when they don't feel things are right.
    My daughter works at a daycare in a neighboring town and they had to close all of their infant rooms down due to a chicken pox outbreak.  The chicken pox vaccine is not required until 18 months old. One of their infants contracted it and the baby's doctor misdiagnosed it
    (even though most of the seasoned teachers there knew it was CP). The baby was allowed back with a note saying it was a non infectious rash. Every baby there got it. Very dangerous at their age.  My point is never truly trust your doctor. Please do some research on your own. We now have the recourses to do so effectively.
    Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone but it is something I feel passionate about.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 19:59:02 (permalink)
    agnesrob

none taken  

I've now had 3 doctors and a nutritionist tell me the exact same thing....
    I'm not one to go to 30 doctors to be told the exact same thing, or hope that one will say something different. I just don't have that kind of time.

I just know too many people who have diabetes and are to quick to blame genetics or consider themselves "a victim of circumstance"without taking a hard look at their own lifestyle...

Just sayin...

agnesrob
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 20:10:32 (permalink)
    WJ I am also confident from your numerous posts that you intelligently weigh and analyze whatever you are told. I'm sure you also do some research on your own and would question anything that doesn't set well with you. 
    Most people are not like that and I know I can't inform everyone everywhere but I would feel remorseful if I didn't try. Thanks for not taking my rant personally! I love your posts!  
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/01/28 20:27:12 (permalink)
    agnesrob

WJ I am also confident from your numerous posts that you intelligently weigh and analyze whatever you are told. I'm sure you also do some research on your own and would question anything that doesn't set well with you. 
    Most people are not like that and I know I can't inform everyone everywhere but I would feel remorseful if I didn't try. Thanks for not taking my rant personally! I love your posts!  

You are correct, my most recent doctor told me that if I need to go on diabetes medication, it would be an oral medication  which I would be weaned off of if I keep my weight in check and continue to exercise, however he mentioned putting me on a low dose of high blood pressure and cholesterol medication "for protection" considering my my BP runs 110/70 (or less) and my cholesterol when last checked (in August) was 160, I would not feel comfortable doing this.  I've done my research and do not see any added benefit for this...

Oh...and thanks! 

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/02/07 14:02:00 (permalink)
    Good news ...today my fasting sugar was 114!

As for the heredity thing, it was explained to me like this...heredity puts the bullet in the gun. Then it takes something to pull the trigger - obesity, stress, or a number of other factors.

That's why you sometimes see those 400 pound people without diabetes - they are firing without bullets.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    Re:Roadfood for Diabetics 2013/02/07 18:09:41 (permalink)
    I am actually a type 1.5 Diabetic, which was first diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic by my GP, then when I went to an Endo specialist, it was diagnosed with 1.5.  I am insulin dependant, actos and other oral meds that "help" your body accept your bodies own insulin do not work on me. 

I am also on a higher "normal" BSL.  My endo wants me to be daily avg around 150-155, with a 2 hour post meal of not more than 225.  For years I checked my BSL 4-6 times a day, and so closely watched it that made me almost nuts.  After seeing the endo and following his guidelines, I test twice a day now or more depends on my day and intakes.

I know that stress, and illness increase my BSL, but having to deal with it for the past 20 years, I know that life is too short not to enjoy the foods you like.  Like them in moderation.  Physical activity also lowers the BSL, unfortunately for me, with my fractured vertabrae I can't walk as much as i would like to.

I do carry with me at all times my meter, 2 types insulins, and glucose tablets.  I RARELY get a low reading, but it does happen from time to time.

Diabetes is not the HORRIBLE sentence that it used to be, new approaches and coverages make living with Diabetes easier, getting a good endo is the key, because as was mentioned before most GPs don't understand the disease very well and will try many things that can actually be counter productive.

Elise what was your last HB A1C??

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1