Hot!Roadfood iPhone App

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/23 08:57:35 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Is there ever going to be a roadfood ap?...Russ

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=589792

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/23 09:13:29 (permalink)
I have little interest in a Roadfood.com app at this time though apps make the internet a better experience when using an iPad and I suspect will become a more popular way to access the internet with packaged and presentable material. However, there are now 3 million iPad users that can't post a message to the Roadfood.com forums. So at least 10 weeks out of the year and many weekends I know I won't be posting because the iPad is my main computer traveling device when I mostly visit restaurants. I've given up on posting trip reports. I am not blaming Stephen on this but the ASPPlayground people who now have the suckiest message forum software that I am aware of. iPhones and other smartphones have the same problem and that's millions and millions more locked out of participation - all people on the go visiting restaurants.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/03/21 13:03:12 (permalink)
Several months ago, Tony Bad and I discussed using Google Earth to see all the Roadfood restaurants, and both of us had problems with Google Earth only showing us a fraction of the restaurants listed in the .kmz file.

I've got another part of a solution today: the app Globalscout (for iPad and iPhone, currently $5.99) will import the .kmz file and show all the locations.
Unfortunately, I can't declare bliss yet:
- it doesn't correctly import the descriptions of the restaurants, just the locations and names.
- the UI feels rather rough.

Even so, I'm happy at the prospect of being able to identify nearby Roadfood restaurants in New Orleans.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/03/21 14:17:23 (permalink)
I can post a message now from my iPad. Good thing. There are now over 16 million iPad users and I am one of them getting ready to hit the road for two months.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/03/22 14:01:43 (permalink)
I got email back from the author of the Globalscout app. He said that version 1.0.2 should be out in less than a week, and should correctly import the descriptions.
rtbryant
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/05/23 12:06:11 (permalink)
I just tried this with Google Earth 6 and it's not working for me.  I get an error message that says: We could not finish downloading your file.  Any ideas?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/05/25 13:56:03 (permalink)
I talked with Stephen Rushmore a few months ago about a Roadfood app.  He indicated that the cost is aroound $10-$12.000.  I do not think that our current advertising would pay for that.

I agree with all that would be a nice feature.  Many apps are free but I recently bought the IBIRD pro and it was $10.00.  It is a wonderful tool for those of you that have a interest in birding. 

I have a HTC EVO by Sprint and it is a super smart phone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2011/05/25 14:09:12 (permalink)
rtbryant

I just tried this with Google Earth 6 and it's not working for me.  I get an error message that says: We could not finish downloading your file.  Any ideas?

I don't have any ideas offhand, but I'm willing to try to help. What platform are you running on? (I don't assume the iPhone, because the conversation has wandered to other systems.)
ckilly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/04/16 12:52:33 (permalink)
I am a newbie to this forum, but a long-time RoadFood addict. I would purchase an app dedicated to RoadFood. In the mean time, have considered the Tapatalk app []. I read/engage in many apps via my iPhone with this app. It is terrific. Keep up the great work as I enjoy this forum.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/04/16 13:31:39 (permalink)
I talked with Stephen about this some time ago.  The expense of developing a APP was far more cost than what Roadfood received.  I personally felt that it would encourage more folks to use the site but Stephen manages cost very well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/04/17 00:49:55 (permalink)
Michael Stern

IMO, the handiest app would be a proximity search with a choice of whether to base it around one's current coordinates or around some other given point, resulting in a list of restaurants arranged by closeness to the designated point. Of course, each listing would be a hot link to the Roadfood.com review.

After my two trips in the last few months, this would have been the perfect app,
photog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/05/21 17:26:03 (permalink)
Davydd

I have little interest in a Roadfood.com app at this time though apps make the internet a better experience when using an iPad and I suspect will become a more popular way to access the internet with packaged and presentable material. However, there are now 3 million iPad users that can't post a message to the Roadfood.com forums. So at least 10 weeks out of the year and many weekends I know I won't be posting because the iPad is my main computer traveling device when I mostly visit restaurants. I've given up on posting trip reports. I am not blaming Stephen on this but the ASPPlayground people who now have the suckiest message forum software that I am aware of. iPhones and other smartphones have the same problem and that's millions and millions more locked out of participation - all people on the go visiting restaurants.

Perhjaps 2 years later you are now able to post from your iPad. Don't know what your problem was before. No WiFi?
photog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/05/21 17:27:51 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I talked with Stephen about this some time ago.  The expense of developing a APP was far more cost than what Roadfood received.  I personally felt that it would encourage more folks to use the site but Stephen manages cost very well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Seems as though there is an "app" now but it is not really an "app," just a bookmark.
We'll see how it works.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/05/21 22:02:18 (permalink)
Can't seem to get the app to show up on my droid phone. Help!

Wally
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/05/21 22:52:54 (permalink)
photog

Davydd

Perhjaps 2 years later you are now able to post from your iPad. Don't know what your problem was before. No WiFi?

Perhaps if you had kept reading a year later I said i could post. It was the software that failed at the time. Besides, with an iPad you can post via wifi or cellular. Wifi had nothing to do with it.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2013/06/06 12:07:48 (permalink)
photog

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Seems as though there is an "app" now but it is not really an "app," just a bookmark.
We'll see how it works.

The bookmark really works well. It is as good as any app in my opinion - fast, all the reviews and photos, and shows everything within a given proximity.  I will definitely use it when looking for restaurants while on the road.

jrp
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/06/06 12:12:21
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2014/09/27 12:23:42 (permalink)
So, last night we took ourselves out to our regular sushi restaurant and I found myself updating my previous Yelp review with some photos and commentary. While I was doing this I was thinking to myself that it sure would be nice if Roadfood had something comparable that would connect users directly, (ala Yelp) to RF. Sure would be a nice added feature to be able to post a review and pics in a more direct and fresh fashion. While I'm sure cost might be a factor (in development and such), but I would be willing to bet that most RF'er's would pop a buck or two for an app they'd use frequently. Especially if it operated similarly to Yelp. And there's always Kickstarter to look to for funding the app, initially. That would be a good way to judge interest, too. I for one would love to have a RF app to post with. C'mon folks!
foodcarnie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2014/09/27 22:20:33 (permalink)
my 2 cents,
There are so many food apps out there like yelp, trip advisor etc so quite honestly I use Yelp most of the time.  The mobile page is an outdated way to access the internet on a mobile device.  Everything worth anything is an app.  I would concentrate on something different.  Easily posting photos and trip reports is what i enjoy.  Make sure it syncs to the web page are basics.  The webpage design to me is not user friendly.
my 2 cents
post edited by foodcarnie - 2014/09/27 22:22:20
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1