Hot!Roadfood iPhone App

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
2009/06/14 20:53:37 (permalink)

Roadfood iPhone App

I just put myself on the pre-order list for the latest iPhone.  That probably means some sort of Roadfood iPhone app will follow in the forthcoming months.  Two questions:

1. Who is interested?
  2. What should the app do, and how should it work?
post edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. - 2009/06/14 20:54:41

47 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/06/15 11:02:04 (permalink)
    I have an iPhone and use it more for apps and internet than as a phone. Accessing information through the internet with an app is much more preferable than using the Safari browser. There are apps that simply use the mobile format and then there are customized view apps like USA Today, NYTimes, Bloomberg, Weather Channel, etc. that go beyond just reformatting the text to fit the screen. I prefer the customized apps over the text reformat apps.

What would I want? One thing I have not found in the iPhone is a message forum that is easily navigable and readable in an app format other than Facebook in the places I frequent. That's what I would like more than anything else.

Since I am not an Insider I rarely look at anything else on Roadfood.com. I deliberately never use the restaurants reviews and only look at them when they a restaurant is being discussed in the forums. I learn enough from the forums and enjoy discovery more than following up.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/06/18 22:51:55 (permalink)
    I 'm interested. Ipod touch, not phone.
    Stephen and Davy, here's a cool forum about features hidden in the new software released today:
     http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=715629

oDey in LA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/08 19:54:58 (permalink)
    bill voss

Stephen and Davy, here's a cool forum about features hidden in the new software released today:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=715629

I use iPod Touch as well, not phone but the apps work on both so I hope we will have the roadfood  app, Whether it be simple or extensive. At the very leas you could include news and notifications...

Some of the apps (and there are thousands, maybe tens of thousands by now) can get quite inclusive....

Waiting with baited (breath) ..(careful around the gator pit if we go back there next Spring at Seafood Festival). 

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/09 07:21:49 (permalink)
    I'm interested.  If you make an app, it might be enough to make me buy an iPhone.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/28 13:16:26 (permalink)
    WOW!! This is GREAT news Stephen! 

Personally, I just purchased one of the new Android based phones (I bought the HTC Eris) but I am excited because the App process for the Android phones is a lot easier to deal with than the Apple process. Either way, this is GREAT news for current Roadfooders and especially, new subscribers. 

One suggestion: make the app free.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/28 13:36:10 (permalink)
    Has Roadfood announced a release date?...Russ
    ChuckL50
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/30 16:14:03 (permalink)
    An app would be great. With all the web browser enabled smart phones out here now, including iPhone, iTouch, Droid, HTCs, Pre, etc. a mobile version of the Roadfood site might be simpler than an app. Don't know much about coding, but usually when there's an app for Apple, someone changes it to work on the other platforms too.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/30 17:22:00 (permalink)
    IMO, the handiest app would be a proximity search with a choice of whether to base it around one's current coordinates or around some other given point, resulting in a list of restaurants arranged by closeness to the designated point. Of course, each listing would be a hot link to the Roadfood.com review.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/30 17:30:14 (permalink)
    Michael Stern Of course, each listing would be a hot link to the Roadfood.com review.

Mmmm.... hot links...
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/30 20:01:48 (permalink)
    Michael Stern

IMO, the handiest app would be a proximity search with a choice of whether to base it around one's current coordinates or around some other given point, resulting in a list of restaurants arranged by closeness to the designated point. Of course, each listing would be a hot link to the Roadfood.com review.

This sounds perfect.  It's much like the POI on GPS units.  On mine (Tomtom), I can look for a POI near my current location, my targeted destination, in a city center or near an address.  Adding a link to the Roadfood review would take it to a whole new level.  Could you also link to the restaurant's website (if they had one), or is that a copyright (or some other legal) issue?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2009/12/30 21:19:07 (permalink)

IMO, the handiest app would be a proximity search with a choice of whether to base it around one's current coordinates or around some other given point, resulting in a list of restaurants arranged by closeness to the designated point.

You can pretty much do that with the current mobile web site, although, you need to input the address or city.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/28 15:14:42 (permalink)
    I just noticed that http://www.nextbus.com/webkit will ask for your current location on an iPhone, and show data relevant to your current location. I'm not an HTML expert at all, but I have fantasies that that technology might make it possible to implement "restaurants close to me" as a web app for the iPhone.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/28 16:56:49 (permalink)
    Ralph, thanks for pointing that out.  I have been testing that on the mobile app for a couple weeks and hope to release it over the weekend.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/28 17:04:06 (permalink)
    I don't know how they do it, but I have more than one third-party app that seems to access the GPS and Google Maps functions on the iPhone, and then showing me nearby locations for various things.
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/30 10:35:19 (permalink)
    Stephen, why does it have to be an iPhone - and only iPhone?

In addition to being stuck with AT&T, the iPhone falls short in many areas and you guys have to deal with all of Steve Jobs' arcane development rules and censorship.  Heck, you go to the trouble to develop something and Jobs kills it (for no apparent reason) - it's happened to many others; don't discount the possibility.

There is no app you could offer that would get me to buy and iPhone.

An app for Android would be a different story.  Yes, I'd love to have Roadfood capability in a Smartphone.  My current phone is a Symbian but it's pretty apparent Android is the future.  Blackberry will still have a good market and I suspect many Roadfooders are business travelers who use Blackberries.  Palm OS looks like a dead-end and Microsoft can't seem to get its act together for a mobile operating system.  So do Android and then Blackberry. 
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 12:29:37 (permalink)
    Stephen - Has this been released and if so, are there plans for a Droid app.  i'm picking up a Droid in the next few days to enable me to stay with verizon.  I use Roadfood Mobile religiously on my many year old Palm Treo.  Thanks!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 13:19:23 (permalink)
    At the moment we don't have any plans for phone-specific apps.  The HTML version of Roadfood mobile works quite well on all platforms, so don't get caught in all the application hype.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 13:49:25 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

Stephen - Has this been released and if so, are there plans for a Droid app.  i'm picking up a Droid in the next few days to enable me to stay with verizon.  I use Roadfood Mobile religiously on my many year old Palm Treo.  Thanks!

As an insider you can access the Point of Interest file for Google Earth. This makes the roadfood places accessible on Google Maps. In other words, no special app is really needed.

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 13:57:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Tony!  I'll give that a try!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 14:04:31 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

Thanks Tony!  I'll give that a try!

Send me an IM if you want better explanation and I will do do when I have a bit more time. It isn't hard to do, but cumbersome to explain.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 18:16:58 (permalink)
    I'd appreciate a more full explanation, also. I figured out how to add the Google Earth PoI file to Google Earth running on the desktop, but not on my phone.
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/05/31 19:00:22 (permalink)
    Stephen - Has this been released and if so, are there plans for a Droid app. i'm picking up a Droid in the next few days to enable me to stay with verizon. I use Roadfood Mobile religiously on my many year old Palm Treo. Thanks!
    ChiTownDiner

You will love your new Droid!
    Especially once you get use to all it can do
    and there are improvements coming soon.
    much more versatile than the i-phone

Mike

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/01 00:56:02 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton

I'd appreciate a more full explanation, also. I figured out how to add the Google Earth PoI file to Google Earth running on the desktop, but not on my phone.

The result is a bit quirky, but it worked for me.

First, go to insider pages and download the KML/KMZ (forget which) file of roadfood data for google earth. Then go to Google Maps on your  PC and in the "My Maps" section create a new map. Using the import feature available when you make a new map, import the KML/KMZ file.

Oddly, not all the roadfood places will appear in the PC version, but when you go to the android version of google maps, and find your saved map and open as a "layer" the places will all be there.

Hope this makes sense. 
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/01 15:45:52 (permalink)
    Thank you very much, Tony! This worked for me with Google Earth on the iPhone and iPad.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/01 15:49:11 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton

Thank you very much, Tony! This worked for me with Google Earth on the iPhone and iPad.

Glad it worked! I am curious, when you created a "my map" out of the roadfood KMZ file, did all places appear on it at once? As I wrote. on PC, I can only get some of the roadfood places to appear. On android, it is the same, but if I zoom, then turn the layer off, and on again, the roadfood places DO appear. Like I said...quirky.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/01 21:11:40 (permalink)
    Hmm, that's a good point; only some of the places are appearing.

It seems that on the Google Maps website, only one page's worth of places appears at any one time.
    On the iPhone/iPad, Google Earth is also showing only the first page--and I haven't yet figured how to show a different set of places.
    casadei
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/22 20:16:53 (permalink)
    would it be posible to have the app also do something like Foursquare where you could "check in" at Roadfood restaurants?  Then also let you know if other Roadfoodies are there or nearby?  Would give a chance for impromptu eat and meets.  And also have an option of adding your location (with GPS coordination) if its not in the database, and be able to also add tips on what to try and what to avoid.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 943
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/22 21:37:40 (permalink)
    Still would like to see a Droid version.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Roadfood iPhone App 2010/06/23 08:14:02 (permalink)
    Is there ever going to be a roadfood ap?...Russ
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1