Roadfood identification

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
2008/08/22 15:24:17 (permalink)

Roadfood identification

I think this matter was brought up a year or two ago and I raised it just a couple of days ago on another thread: I was at the Hudson Valley RibFest last weekend and I was sure there were some fellow Roadfooders in attendance and would have been happy to meet them.

My question is : Would it be possible for someone on this site to make up a modest tasteful inexpensive pin or other device that we could wear to events like the RibFest so we could identify each other?

Cheers, John

66 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 15:32:37 (permalink)
    Make it and, I will buy it.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:03:07 (permalink)
    How about the hats we give out on the Roadfood Eating tours?
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1014
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:11:33 (permalink)
    Hats are great, but some of us old-fashioned types still have an aversion to men wearing hats indoors -- even in a "roadfood"-style eatery. (Obviously, it depends on the place.)

I like pins.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:13:44 (permalink)
    Tattoo, or you're just a poser.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15179
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:35:52 (permalink)
    I wear a Fisherman's(style) vest most everwhere we go on the road. I would like a 4 or 5 inch circle patch (or two or three) that could be added to a vest or jacket.

A modest sized press on emblem for the rear window of my truck would be nice. Not a bumper sticker...more like a parking permit size.

The Hot Dog folks have done a nice job with their concert tour-style tee-shirts, but the costs get pretty high for a tee shirt in Roadfood Size !! ($30 plus for a 5x) Neat item but too pricie for me.

A Pin or a Patch would be neat. We need to make it clear that it is NOT a "Trekkie" item. They do look a bit alike!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:40:54 (permalink)
    Stephen, the hats were great but personally I cannot wear them. For some reason I get a headache???

Al designed some cards but they were not official.

If we could download the Roadfood.com log, we could have them printed into some nice shirts that were collared.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mmarkovitz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:47:35 (permalink)
    I love the idea of a pin.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 16:52:19 (permalink)
    I like hats-----and they can be removed at the table----just to
    show that Roadfooders were raised correctly and are still polite.
    A baseball cap for recognition should be easy to spot. I wear a
    Notre Dame hat and get lots of recognition---not always good.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 17:02:04 (permalink)
    My wife and I are Disney fanatics (and fans of Caseys dogs. Her Disney posting board pals go to Home Depot and grab a certain color paint patch (HD carries Disney colors and the swatches are Mckeys head!) and then you just put them on your person where others can see them (on your hat, backpack, shirt, etc.).. I believe they use light green. It's free and I cannot imagine where there is not a Home Depot. Pick a color!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 17:06:35 (permalink)
    If it is going to be a hat, I suggest something subtle and in good taste. Like this...

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 18:57:47 (permalink)
    Please lets try not to kill yet another thread by trading insults and personal attacks. Too much of that lately. Too much.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 23:06:19 (permalink)
    No kidding, I have that hat and wear it sometimes for work!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/22 23:29:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

If it is going to be a hat, I suggest something subtle and in good taste. Like this...

Can I get mine with a ketchup squiggle?
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2885
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 09:49:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I wear a Fisherman's(style) vest most everwhere we go on the road. I would like a 4 or 5 inch circle patch (or two or three) that could be added to a vest or jacket.

A modest sized press on emblem for the rear window of my truck would be nice. Not a bumper sticker...more like a parking permit size.

The Hot Dog folks have done a nice job with their concert tour-style tee-shirts, but the costs get pretty high for a tee shirt in Roadfood Size !! ($30 plus for a 5x) Neat item but too pricie for me.

A Pin or a Patch would be neat. We need to make it clear that it is NOT a "Trekkie" item. They do look a bit alike!

Al - No one should have trouble recognizing you...your picture is prominently displayed in many post offices!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:00:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

How about the hats we give out on the Roadfood Eating tours?

Stephen - I would guess there are two problems - fullfillment and authenticity.

With regard to fullfillment - there are vendors that will do a turn key operation. This would allow Roadfood to add to it's Merchandise page, reap some rewards, not be burdened with inventory and "the shirt shrunk" kind of stuff all the while allowing for a broad base of offerings in support of our broad base of readers.

With regard to authenticity - Logo'ing products can always open the door to mis-use. However, in this case, as most of us travel with books in hand, reams of paper with color photos and a camera, I think we're even better received when folks realize we've traveled near and far to enjoy the offerings of a particualr restaurant.

Just my thoughts...I use the coffe mug every day and my wife wears the baseball cap on ocasion.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:07:38 (permalink)
    I like the hat but as i am unable to attend a lot of East Coast gatherings I have not used it as a form of identification. I am interested in learning more about the coffee mugs.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:09:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow
    Can I get mine with a ketchup squiggle?

That's IT! No Hat For You!

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:24:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

I like the hat but as i am unable to attend a lot of East Coast gatherings I have not used it as a form of identification. I am interested in learning more about the coffee mugs.

Hi mr chips - the coffe mug was a gift option on the Nashville Tour. I beleive the option was either a hat or a mug and as I was with my wife, we accepted one of each. It's insulated, fairly spill proof and goes to work with me each day!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:25:20 (permalink)

I'm working on the 'Secret Handshake' Identifier as we type!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:25:47 (permalink)

...Russ
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:28:35 (permalink)
    quote:

I'm working on the 'Secret Handshake' Identifier as we type!

Mustard on the palm?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 10:58:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Hi mr chips - the coffe mug was a gift option on the Nashville Tour. I beleive the option was either a hat or a mug and as I was with my wife, we accepted one of each. It's insulated, fairly spill proof and goes to work with me each day!
    I chose the hat.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 19:32:46 (permalink)
    I usually yell out, "Any Roadfood people in here?"

I think (and my girl Ellen will totally concur) that if you see somebody taking pictures of their food...well, that's a dead giveaway.

Al, the handshake's an alright idea, my friend, but what do you do? Walk up to them and say "What's the secret handshake?" Ha!! Oh, yes, especially in Cherry Hill and my township, too, where if you're not DRESSED a certain way, or seen driving up in a certain type of vehicle, they won't even make EYE contact with you! Get me outta here! Please!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 19:59:54 (permalink)

Harriet.... Nah, You do a reception line-style handshake with everyone...The Roadfooder's get a smile and an exchange of greetings, The non-Roadfooders get pointed to the KFC next door !!!

It is sort of funny that as long as I can remember, when we arrived at the scene of a Meet-N-Eat, people were ready to reach out and say hello and identify themselves as 'members'. A couple of times we said hello to a stranger, only to find out they had accompanied a member to the event. That happened at my first get-together in Rancho Cucamonga, CA in Feb 2004 When I greeted Red Patti's Friend, who immediately introduce Patti as the Foodie member of the family !! Some folks are easy to Spot... Me for example, Signman, The Ales Family from NJ, mr Chips, Bushie and Poverty Pete...They all seem to have that "I'm a Roadfooder" Look. While others like Stephen Rushmore could pass for "undercover Shoppers" for Roadfood review-writing!!
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 20:31:33 (permalink)
    Hat? Not for me, I always wear my own Civil War style cavalry hat complete with field officer braid. I never leave home without it. After 10 years it is finally somewhat broken in. Kind of looks like something Jed Clampett would wear if he was in the Civil War. One does not mess with perfection.

The pin sounded good to me at first, but that can be easily overlooked. Then it came to me, a Roadfood detective badge. Much larger than a pin and noticeable. I don't know if this would help you meet up with other Roadfooders, but I think it would put Roadfood style restaurants on alert.

Roadfooders tend to write about their experiences and once our type of places get wise to the badge and start seeing a lot of them, I think they would take measures to improve their offerings. One small badge could lead to a giant leap for Roadfood kind.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 20:53:44 (permalink)
    This is so simple, I'm surprised nobody thought of it... Once you become a Roadfood Insider, get a RFID chip injected into you, and then fellow insiders have the opportunity to purchase these readers to wear on their belts (similar to a pager). Come within a 100' feet and you get an alert going off!
    If your afraid of needles and injections, well, I guess a hat or T-Shirt should suffice.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 21:01:17 (permalink)

Vic
    For those shy of injections, we can put them in Suppositories too! ( a miss is as good as a mile !!)
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 21:19:28 (permalink)
    I had a flashing LED Badge I wore to the first get together. Remember Mayor? I wish we could get another LA Area Meet and
    Eat going. Someday..................?

quote:

Harriet.... Nah, You do a reception line-style handshake with everyone...The Roadfooder's get a smile and an exchange of greetings, The non-Roadfooders get pointed to the KFC next door !!!

It is sort of funny that as long as I can remember, when we arrived at the scene of a Meet-N-Eat, people were ready to reach out and say hello and identify themselves as 'members'. A couple of times we said hello to a stranger, only to find out they had accompanied a member to the event. That happened at my first get-together in Rancho Cucamonga, CA in Feb 2004 When I greeted Red Patti's Friend, who immediately introduce Patti as the Foodie member of the family !! Some folks are easy to Spot... Me for example, Signman, The Ales Family from NJ, mr Chips, Bushie and Poverty Pete...They all seem to have that "I'm a Roadfooder" Look. While others like Stephen Rushmore could pass for "undercover Shoppers" for Roadfood review-writing!!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Roadfood identification 2008/08/23 21:31:14 (permalink)
    You're right, some people are obviously of our ilk. The first time I saw Buffetbuster and cousin Johnnie, in front of Loveless, I knew they were up to no good.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1