Hot!Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/18 14:38:36 (permalink)
I tried to search the restaurant and didn't find it. "Hot oil" pizza would be tops on my list.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/18 20:21:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

There's not a whole lot of Sterns-reviewed Roadfood places in my neck of the woods, Upstate SC, but there are a few.

I'm giving serious consideration to eating at Charlie's Steakhouse in Greenville tomorrow after I see Charlie Louvin in concert. It's the only Roadfood approved place in Greenville.

I've also never eaten at The Beacon in Spartanburg. I need to rectify that someday.

improvisor-
Just wondering if you made it to Charlie's Steakhouse or Beacon drive-in, yet. When I used to have Clemson season tickets, every trip to a Clemson football game included these two really good Roadfood spots.

Have you been to Skin Thrasher's in Anderson?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 07:10:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

1. Pepe's Pizzeria - New Haven, CT.

2. Nick Tahou's - Rochester, N.Y.

3. Oyster Bar - NYC, N.Y. <-- is that really roadfood?

4. Papaya King - NYC, N.Y

5. Penn State Univ Creamery - University Park, PA.

6. Tony Luke's - Philadelphia, PA.

7. Florida Avenue Grill - Washington, D.C.

After looking at buffetbuster's report, I need to add Pierogies Plus in McKeesport, PA. to my list!

You have some excellent choices. Tony Luke's is among my all-time top 10 and I was blown away by how good the ice cream was on my recent visit to the Penn State Creamery.

I'm glad you liked my report on Pierogies Plus. But, I need to point out it is in McKees Rocks and not McKeesport, which is an understandable mistake. I would hate to see you end up on the opposite side of the city.

Good luck hitting the places on your list!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 09:47:11 (permalink)
improviser, if I can just second buffetbuster's urging about Charlie's Steakhouse a minute. We schedule shopping trips to Greenville so that we can eat at Charlie's. It's wonderful. It's at least as much the atmosphere--these great waitresses who have clearly worked there forever, the couple that runs the place, the run-down-70s-dinner-club decor--but I take that back, the food is better. The steaks are to die for and the salad dressings . . heaven.

That being said we did hit a Henry's Smokehouse location in Simpsonville (rec'd here, but not on the list) before going camping this last time and it was terrific. First time I'd ever seen a smoked boneless skinless chicken breast, and it was moist and delicious.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 10:44:15 (permalink)
We were in Niagara Falls a couple of years ago, that's the only time in my life I've been in that area. We did get to the Anchor Bar and Grill for some wings and to Anderson's frozen custard in Buffalo but I could kick myself for not getting to Ted's Hot Dogs or getting a Beef on Weck somewhere. Maybe someday.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 10:50:31 (permalink)
Thanks for pointing that out, buffetbuster.

The cabbage rolls and pierogies look delicious -- I think they deserve a special run up to McKees Rock.

Also, the sauerkraut underneath the sausage looks like the 'kraut that I used to enjoy at the Polish Hall in Port Washington, NY, when I was growing up. The ladies in the kitchen sold hot dogs and sauerkraut during functions at the hall. The sauerkraut was simmered for hours with I-wish-I-knew-what ingredients, and was mild and mellow and very flavorful -- we would get side orders of the kraut by itself.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 11:10:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

1. Pepe's Pizzeria - New Haven, CT.

2. Nick Tahou's - Rochester, N.Y.

3. Oyster Bar - NYC, N.Y. <-- is that really roadfood?

4. Papaya King - NYC, N.Y

5. Penn State Univ Creamery - University Park, PA.

6. Tony Luke's - Philadelphia, PA.

7. Florida Avenue Grill - Washington, D.C.

After looking at buffetbuster's report, I need to add Pierogies Plus in McKeesport, PA. to my list!

You have some excellent choices. Tony Luke's is among my all-time top 10 and I was blown away by how good the ice cream was on my recent visit to the Penn State Creamery.

I'm glad you liked my report on Pierogies Plus. But, I need to point out it is in McKees Rocks and not McKeesport, which is an understandable mistake. I would hate to see you end up on the opposite side of the city.

Good luck hitting the places on your list!

I'd like to eat in McKee's Rocks or McKeesport either one. For obvious reasons.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 12:59:49 (permalink)
You would definitely need a t-shirt.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/19 13:33:27 (permalink)
Ivyhouse-
It sounds like we have the same taste in food. You got me thinking, so I took another look at the sauerkraut in the photo. Because I always eat their sauerkraut inside a pierogie or on a sandwich, I haven't really paid very close attention to it. Next time, I will get some on the side by itself.
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/27 19:33:59 (permalink)
DENNYS' BEER BARREL PUB IN CLARION, PENNSYLVANIA HANDS DOWN. I have been there, but I have not eaten the 50lb burger...yes, 50lbs...anyone up for a challenge???
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/mostread/s_461181.html

cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/09/28 12:53:01 (permalink)
Lexington #1. Never been to the Carolinas.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/26 17:07:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

A while back Wanderingjew compiled a list of establishments that he has visited on Roadfood, the majority of which I had not visited yet. It made me think of this topic: what places that the Sterns have reviewed, that you have not visited, but have a strong desire to do so? My list would include:

1)Doe's Eat Place-Greenville MS
2)Wolf Lodge Inn-Couer D'Alene (drove right past it but did not eat there)
3)Bobcat Bite-Santa Fe NM
4)Halibut's-Portland OR
5)Bakeman's-Seattle WA
6)Ridgewood Barbecue-Bluff City TN
7)Cypress Grill-Jamesville NC
8)Tea Steakhouse-Tea SD
9)Farmer's Inn-Havana ND (great story about this place in "Two For The Road".)
10)Nick Tahou-Rochester NY

Cross #3 off the list. I hit it last Saturday Night. And, Bobcat Bite made my Roadfood 'Holy Grail'. That was the best single meal I've had in terms of Roadfood establishments. I have a very poor quality photo (taken from my son's Fisher Price camera) that I will upload sometime, but what an experience. Simply outstanding. The entire look/feel, the ambience, the service, the friendly propieters, everything was just perfect. This goes down as my best Roadfood experience of 2007.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/26 17:23:55 (permalink)
tamandmik-
Thanks for giving us a report back from Bobcat Bite and I'm glad you love it as much as I do. Considering you have been to a ton of places, to call it your single best Roadfood meal is high praise!

Assuming you also make it to The Buckhorn and The Owl, I am really looking forward to seeing how they compare. Please keep us informed!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/26 17:36:15 (permalink)
quote:

tamandmik-
Thanks for giving us a report back from Bobcat Bite and I'm glad you love it as much as I do. Considering you have been to a ton of places, to call it your single best Roadfood meal is high praise!

Assuming you also make it to The Buckhorn and The Owl, I am really looking forward to seeing how they compare. Please keep us informed!

In fact, I did not make it to either establishment. They continue to elude me. Going up, we left too late, and coming back, my daughter was spiking a fever and was certainly no mood for a stop in San Antonio. However, I was able to sneak into the Frontier in Albuquerque earlier for a delicious chicken enchilada meal ('Christmas' style).

Since you've been to both the Owl and Bobcat Bite, how do they compare to each other? The reason I ask was I was privy to a conversation between another customer and the proprieter, as I was paying at the cash register. He indicated to the proprieter that his burger was better than the Owl, which was previously the best he had ever had. The woman indicated to him that the Owl is often brought up to her as her most worthy competition, and she said just as many people will tell her the Owl is on equal par, or better, than her offering. She told the patron that it was about a 50/50 split. What's even more amazing was her knowledge of the place, which must speak volumes for the Owl, since it's about 150 miles away from Bobcat Bite.

We had our names on the blackboard outside, and it was about 8 degrees above zero. I kept my mom and the kids in the car down the hill in the parking lot. I was about ready to leave when a man came up to me, put his name on the board and told me "I come regularly from Florida for this meal, you'd better wait it out, usually the list is longer". So after telling my mom what the man had said, we waited the 15 minutes before one of the employees made it down to our car to tell us our table was ready. On the way in, another person (who said he came from Nevada) put his name on the blackboard. It was about then when I realized this was going to be an experience, not just a meal. Amazingly, there were just as many people (I'd say it was tied at 6 tables a piece) that opted for the steak special. One guy was telling the cashier he was going to have the remainder the following morning for breakfast.

This place just rocked. Everyone who posts on here who is traveling down I-25 in Northern NM owes it to themselves to stop off and try it.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/26 18:40:39 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by improviser

There's not a whole lot of Sterns-reviewed Roadfood places in my neck of the woods, Upstate SC, but there are a few.

I'm giving serious consideration to eating at Charlie's Steakhouse in Greenville tomorrow after I see Charlie Louvin in concert. It's the only Roadfood approved place in Greenville.

I've also never eaten at The Beacon in Spartanburg. I need to rectify that someday.

improvisor-
Just wondering if you made it to Charlie's Steakhouse or Beacon drive-in, yet. When I used to have Clemson season tickets, every trip to a Clemson football game included these two really good Roadfood spots.

Have you been to Skin Thrasher's in Anderson?

I'm not finding Charlie's in the review listings. How am I missing it? It looks very quaint, though I haven't been there. I never made it the last time I was living in Greenville.

Another place I wanted to go and didn't and people rave over it is The Peddler. And I always wanted to go to the Chophouse.

I did go to the Open Hearth and it was fantastic!! The French Onion Soup was killer. Homemade stock, etc. They do a twist on it by using Parmesiano Reggiano (sp?). Man, that is good. And, they literally have an "open hearth" where you can see them grilling your steak. Really cool place.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/26 19:22:02 (permalink)
OK, from the book---places that have always seemed amazing to me. I tried to narrow it down to one meal of each (chili, loose-meat, etc) when possible. So, in NO order, the places I'd be off to if the doc says I'm now on the clock.

Keaton's---Statesville, NC
Loveless Cafe---Nashville, TN
Rendezvous---Memphis, TN
Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room---Savannah, GA
Bon Ton Cafe---New Orleans, LA
Bowens Island---Charleston, SC
Mr. Dave's---North Manchester, IN
Maid-Rite---Newton, IA
Cherry Hut---Beulah, MI
Al's Breakfast---Minneapolis, MN
Arthur Bryant's & Stroud's---Kansas City, MO
Camp Washington Chili Parlor---Cincinnati, OH
Kroll's West---Green Bay, WI
Johnny's Cafe---Omaha, NE
Bobcat Bite---Santa Fe, NM
Rancho de Chimayo---Chimayo, NM
Billy's---Elk City, OK
Sonny Bryan's---Dallas, TX
Dan and Louis Oyster Bar---Portland, OR
Duarte's---Pescadero, CA

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/27 09:14:38 (permalink)
stanpnepa, You have two on your list I need to get to in Mr. Dave's in North Manchester and Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis. Mr. Dave (Clapp) has emailed me and implored me to stop in after my two visits to nearby Nick's Kitchen and Al's Breakfast is right in my area. I may give Cincinnati style chili a try when in Ohio in May. I went to school there for 6 years (62-68) before the town discovered it had something to brag about so never had chili in Cincy.

I have two more Iowa Pork Producers Association breaded pork tenderloin sandwich winners to try.

2005 Dairy Sweet, Dunlap, IA
2004 Suburban Restaurant, Ames, IA

I have too many Hoosier pork tenderloin sandwich recommendations to winnow down yet. I may have the chance to travel in desertdog's steps and try the Arizona pork tenderloin sandwiches he has discovered.

Now that I have exhausted myself on Washington DC pizza I need to get back home and satiate myself on local (Minneapolis/St. Paul).

Pizza Luce
Nea
Punch
Psyco Suzies

Then my curiosity will have to spread to Chicago and New Haven for pizza some day. This is when I wish I were still employed (not really) because these are the places I used to fly to frequently but doubt I would venture to in an RV.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/28 15:11:16 (permalink)
matilda-
The Roadfood review for Charlie's Steakhouse was recently archived.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23159
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2007/12/28 15:13:23 (permalink)
quote:

matilda-
The Roadfood review for Charlie's Steakhouse was recently archived.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23159

Thank you very much!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/01/01 19:18:55 (permalink)
Every single place "Wandering" and Uncle Vic have been to! Two lucky dudes!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/01/01 19:23:26 (permalink)
Never been to the BBQ place (Ridgewood) in Bluff City, TN. However, I actually sent a stranger there. Spoke to a guy on the phone about a summer rental home in Tennessee and the issue of "Q" came up. I told him what I'd read about the place on this site and the guy and his wife went. He called me back (we never did do business) just to tell me thanks and how incredible the place was.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/01/02 09:13:43 (permalink)
I could list dozens, but I must and WILL get to Pepe's in 2008.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/09/23 16:02:24 (permalink)
Central grocery in Nawlins
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 06:31:43 (permalink)
Ted's - Meriden, CT
Louis Lunch - New Haven, CT
Pepe's Pizzeria - New Haven, CT
Big Ed's - Danbury, CT
Blackie's - Cheshire, CT
Katonah Restaurant - Katonah, NY
Walter's - Mammaroneck, NY
Greasy Nick's - New Rochelle, NY
A Salt and Battery - NYC
Barney Greengrass - NYC
Crif's Hot Dogs - NYC
Gray's Papaya - NYC
Grimaldi's - NYC
Katz's - NYC
Nathan's Famous - NYC
Oyster Bar - NYC
Peter Luger's - NYC
Pommes Frites - NYC
Shake Shack - NYC
'Wichcraft - NYC
Harold's New York Deli - Edison, NJ
White House Sub Shop - Atlantic City, NJ
Rutt's Hut - Clifton, NJ
Jimmy Buff's - West Orange, NJ
De Lorenzo Tomato Pies - Trenton, NJ
Camp Washington Chili - Cincinnati, OH
Graeter's - Cincinnati, OH
Zip's Cafe - Cincinnati, OH
The Root Beer Stand - Sharonville, OH
O'Betty's - Athens, OH
Red's Eats - Wiscasset, ME
The Clam Box - Ipswich, MA
Durgin-Park - Boston, MA
Nick's Famous Roast Beef - Beverly, MA

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 06:46:35 (permalink)
Anyplace in Memphis!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 07:23:46 (permalink)
MiamiDon-
That is quite a list and you haven't even listed anything out of Eastern Standard Time, yet!

joerogo-
Amen!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 07:43:11 (permalink)
quote:

MiamiDon-
That is quite a list and you haven't even listed anything out of Eastern Standard Time, yet!

buffetbuster:

I restricted it to where I am likely to go during the next few years. I am pretty sure to be going to visit family in NYC/Westchester, Cincinnati and Boston, so the places that I listed are all doable. I started out to list places all over the country, but I had to admit, for instance, that I may never go to New Mexico in this lifetime. So, I made it regional, rather than only the best of the best everywhere.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 08:18:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

MiamiDon-

buffetbuster:

I restricted it to where I am likely to go during the next few years. I am pretty sure to be going to visit family in NYC/Westchester, Cincinnati and Boston, so the places that I listed are all doable. I started out to list places all over the country, but I had to admit, for instance, that I may never go to New Mexico in this lifetime. So, I made it regional, rather than only the best of the best everywhere.

Hey, you can't dance all around Pennsylvania like that with stopping in.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 10:21:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

Hey, you can't dance all around Pennsylvania like that with stopping in.

Lessee... I-287/I-87/I-84/I-81, and zip, I'm in Pittston! It's only 235 miles. I thought you were moving to Brooklyn?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 16:48:25 (permalink)
MiamiDon-
I certainly understand the reasoning behind your list. But someone who loves food as much as you do needs to get to New Mexico (my favorite state for Roadfood) at least once in your life. If nothing else, just to get a Green Chile Cheeseburger from Bobcat Bite.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1