Hot!Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3835
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 16:57:00 (permalink)
I must have missed this topic the first 8 or 9 times it came around. I am going to give two lists - one if I had answered it on time when first posted, and one to reflect my current Top 10 Haven't Beentas.

As of March 2007
Doe's Eat Place - attained Nov 2008 - Little Rock location
One of the Top New Haven, CT pizza joints - Hit Pepe's in August 2008
Bern's - Tampa, FL
Joe's Stone Crab - Miami, FL
Wilber's BBQ - Goldsboro, NC - January 2008
Stroud's - Kansas City, MO - June 2008
Red's Eats - Wiscassett, ME
Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM
Dreamland BBQ - Feb 2008 in Mobile - would still like to go to Tuscaloosa
Tea Steak House - Tea, SD

Current
Bern's - Tampa, FL
Joe's Stone Crab - Miami, FL
Red's Eats - Wiscassett, ME
Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM
Tea Steak House - Tea, SD
Bon Ton Mini Mart - Henderson, KY
Moonlite BBQ - Owensboro, KY
Lankford Grocery - Houston, TX
Bendtsen's Bakery - Racine, WI
Tony Luke's - Philadelphia, PA

I could probably easily come up with 10 or 12 more off the top of my head, but it will help to keep this list in flux over time.

Probably the place that I had most wanted to go, but did not before they closed was Uglesich's in New Orleans.

Oh...and these places deserve honorable mentions....

* Another New Haven Pizza joint, for comparison's sake. Ideally, either Sally's or Modern.
* A return to Hollyhock Hill, as I ate their by myself and think that the experience would have been very different had I been with a small group - or even one other.
* A return to LC's BBQ when I haven't gorged myself on so much other food that I couldn't enjoy a bite of it!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11052
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2008/12/04 17:04:47 (permalink)
Travelin Man-
The obvious question is how many of these places have you been outside of, but they was closed?
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2010/12/16 10:20:12 (permalink)
Here is a really good thread that is worthy of reviving.  How is everyone doing on their lists?  I just recently crossed Pico de Gallo in AZ off of mine.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3054
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2010/12/16 12:19:54 (permalink)
Travellin Man: Bobcat Bite is a fun place in Santa Fe. What makes it special is that it is really not in Santa Fe but a sort of dirt road right off I-25, six or seven miles out of Santa Fe. So its a free standing little place in the desert scrub. The burgers are pretty good, but the the funky ambience is even better. Many people prefer Harry's Road House a few miles closer to Santa Fe on the same road, but it is a bit too trendy while Bobcat's is real deal roadfood.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2010/12/17 12:29:30 (permalink)
I crossed a bunch of places off my list this year, so it's hard to think of my next aspirations. My list of places I can think of offhand:

Mary Mac's Tea Room - Atlanta, GA
Hob Nob Hill - San Diego, CA
Central Grocery - New Orleans, LA
Tony Luke's - Philadelphia, PA
Gullah Cuisine - Mt. Pleasant, SC

And some foods I'd like to try, which I haven't identified a specific restaurant for:
Italian Beef
Oyster po-boy
Hoppel poppel
Pork tenderloin
Sonoran Hot Dog
Maryland Stuffed Ham
Philadelphia Cheese Steak
North Carolina barbecue trail
post edited by Ralph Melton - 2010/12/17 12:32:29
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2011/08/18 11:10:57 (permalink)
After recently reading that the Nevada Dinner House in Elko, NV closed, it looks like my original list is completed or at least, done as far as I can go.

Here is the new list of Roadfood restaurants I most want to visit: 

1) Bette's Oceanview Diner - Berkeley, CA
2) Brenda's Diner - New Iberia, LA
3) Chope's - La Mesa, NM
4) Clifton's Cafeteria - Los Angeles, CA
5) John's Roast Pork - Philadelphia, PA
6) Lange's Cafe - Pipestone, MN
7) Mabel's Lobster Claw - Kennebunkport, ME
8) Rhoda's Famous Tamales - Lake Village, AR
9) White Manna - Hackensack, NJ
10) Zarzour's - Chattanooga, TN

post edited by buffetbuster - 2015/06/04 05:56:57
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6530
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2011/08/18 13:38:41 (permalink)
You can get your sour cream raisin pie at Lange's Cafe in Pipestone. :)
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2011/08/18 13:49:14 (permalink)
Davydd-
I like the way you think!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3835
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2011/08/19 12:05:22 (permalink)
Man, I knocked out a good bit of my list.  I need to come up with a refresher now.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2014/01/27 08:12:30 (permalink)
Here is a great thread once again worth reviving.  I was able to knock three more places off my list in 2013. 

EdSails-
Looks like you have a list on page one of this thread.  I know of at least one of those places you have visited, since I was there with you!  How is the rest of the list looking?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4359
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2014/01/30 02:49:24 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Here is a great thread once again worth reviving.  I was able to knock three more places off my list in 2013. 

EdSails-
Looks like you have a list on page one of this thread.  I know of at least one of those places you have visited, since I was there with you!  How is the rest of the list looking?

well, the downside is......
Haven't chipped it down yet. Been to City Market twice----once got there an hour late, the other time could still see the people inside cleaning up.

Haven't made it back to NOLA yet. 

Every time I go to Portland, I wind up at Pal's Shanty or the oyster farm in Newport (maybe you could stretch it since they are owned by Dan and Louis' and provide all their oysters). 
In New Haven, I've been to sally's so at least I did have a New Haven Pizza.

the upside is......
Instead of Luling city Market, I've been to Joel's BBQ twice. They were still open when City had closed.
I've gone to so many other good places I've done OK. 

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2014/01/30 07:51:25 (permalink)
I'd say you have done better than just okay Ed!  I still haven't gotten to City Market, yet.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 06:12:11 (permalink)
Time to bring back one of my favorite threads, since I recently knocked off Chope's in New Mexico from my current list.  Clifton's in Los Angeles is on the list and I am eagerly awaiting their eventual opening, as the renovations have been going on for years.  Looking forward to visiting Brenda's Diner in Louisiana in October, either on the Roadfood Bus Tour or as a side trip.

How is everyone else doing on their list?  Anyone have a list they want to share? 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8347
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 10:39:09 (permalink)
Here's my list

1- Stone's- Marshalltown IA out of business prior to visiting
2- Dillard House- Dillard GA
3- Johnny's Cafe- Omaha NE Excellent
4- Buckhorn Exchange- Denver CO Excellent
5- Nick's Kitchen- Huntington IN- Excellent
6- Louis Basque Corner- Reno NV Nothing Special
7- LC's BBQ- Kansas City, MO Excellent
8- El Siboney- Key West FL
9- O'Steen's Restaurant- St. Augustine FL
10- Farnsworth House- Gettysburg PA

This was my list back in 2007
Honestly , I no longer have an incredible desire to visit  Dillard House.
I'm sure I can add to this list when I have time to think about it
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/06/04 10:40:45
kathyhes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 14:01:06 (permalink)
Then you have to try "Big Dave and Holly Drive-in", Le Claire, IA. Really great breaded tenderloin sandwich, all on the great river road.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9381
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 23:00:06 (permalink)
For me it's more of Roadfood states I'd like to visit and eat my way through.

I want to go to all the New England states, Minnesota and Indiana.

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8755
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 23:04:34 (permalink)
mar
I'll take you through New England if you take me through Arizona and New Mexico.
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 23:15:18 (permalink)
Lisa...  DEAL!

Maybe that could actually happen one of these days.

Something to dream about!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/04 23:23:36 (permalink)
Forget about dreaming...........let's start planning! 
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 00:22:19 (permalink)
Wish!  Real life gets in the way.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9307
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 07:57:21 (permalink)
Come on, Mar. Two of our famous travelers tout Wisconsin as one of their favorite states for eating. Come and visit!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 09:01:49 (permalink)
ann peeples
Come on, Mar. Two of our famous travelers tout Wisconsin as one of their favorite states for eating. Come and visit!!

Could one of them be me??????

Ann

I almost had the opportunity to end up in Wisconsin again, in August, I'll be taking my annual "Americana trip" and I'll be spending a week in Iowa, with some overspill into Eastern Nebraska and Southeastern South Dakota. Initially I was going to fly into Milwaukee on Southwest (and was hoping to stop at the Old Fashioned in Madison and Mazo's in Milwaukee on the way back)  but now Southwest  has this three day special going on so I changed my flight so I'll  be flying into Des Moines for the same price.

I still intend to visit Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan and possibly the  Northwoods of Minnesota with Sandra in 2017
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/06/05 10:07:21
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 11:20:35 (permalink)
wj
I'm sure you already have your eating spots picked out for your "Americana tour" but if these are not on your list and you have time, try to work them in.  Or maybe you've already been to them.

Archie's Waeside Le Mars, IA
Bob's Bar  Martinsburg, NE
Bob's  Sioux Falls, SD

All three are real gems!! 
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9307
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 11:39:29 (permalink)
Yes, WJ-one would be you!! I have never eaten at Mazo's, which of course is recommended by MFL, so I will take a hit for you.. Sorry its not happening this summer-but will make time for you in 2017. And interestingly enough-Bob has been asked if he would deliver to South Dakota 2 nights a week-not sure of the route-but maybe he could have a meal with you-depending where both of you are at the time!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 11:54:14 (permalink)
lleechef
wj
I'm sure you already have your eating spots picked out for your "Americana tour" but if these are not on your list and you have time, try to work them in.  Or maybe you've already been to them.

Archie's Waeside Le Mars, IA
Bob's Bar  Martinsburg, NE
Bob's  Sioux Falls, SD

All three are real gems!! 

Lleechef,

Unfortunately I won't be hitting these places, as much as I want to hit Archie's Waeside there is just no way I can do it with the logistics. I'm going to have very precious little time in Eastern Nebraska and SE South Dakota and my selections have to be precise.  My stomach will have shrunk by then too, I've already lost almost 10 lbs and intend to continue to lose  until by trip begins on August 24. There is a madness to my method on this trip. which I'll explain on a separate thread.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15715
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/05 15:42:48 (permalink)
At least I can agree in theory with Dale regarding Archie's in LaMar's Iowa. It has been at the top of my Bucket list for some time, but we never seem to be headed that direction these days. I want to try that beautiful Filet that Michael introduced us to several years ago..then hit the community ice cream parlor after.

I don't know if I will ever make it, but that's the top of my list.

The List continues,
   Cattleman's, Near El Paso and also the one in OK City
  An Oyster crawl along the Gold Coast.. MS-AL Panhandle FL.  As far as BBQ goes I am always ready to test new places, but it is difficult to beat those we have praised for a long time. FOR Pork 'Que I haven't heard or read anything yet to replace my loyalty to the BRICK PIT as Top Hog. For Beef I will grant a split vote to Black's BBQ, Louis Mueller, Kreuz Mrkt,... all Texan's and well-deserving top spot. We have found great BBQ all over the country, and the spread of quality is continuing, so I hope to find new additions to the Top Bull in the Future.

It has been 20 years plus since we visited Glacier Park and that part of Montana, Idaho and Washington, I would love to spend a couple of days at the Isaac  Walton Inn, the Amtrak stop for Glacier Park for a combination of rail and mountain scenery.

So many places we would like to go, and so little time, it seems , to do the things we dream of.
post edited by mayor al - 2015/06/05 18:18:17
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/10 08:10:32 (permalink)
Lleechef

Looks like after a second (and third and fourth) thought, Archie's Waeside is in. The logistics did work, as I will be in the area, but had too many places to visit (I can't do second lunch, second dinner, etc like the big boys)  The theme of this trip is to find the best Iowa Chop in Iowa. I'll be visiting about half a dozen restaurants that appear to have gotten accolades either on the internet or in the Iowa Tourism guide "The Five Hundred Best Small Town Cafes" mentioned by buffetbuster in previous threads. Unfortunately when a certain former food editor took the realms, only the breaded pork tenderloin and loosemeats sandwich was front and center and we all know that the Iowa Chop is alive and well. Anyway, my initial plan was to find a reliable "old school" steak house near Sioux Falls, unfortunately The Tea Steakhouse hasn't received favorable reviews lately and I don't know why. Others seem to have either sparse or inconsisent reviews (although The Parker House Steakhouse seems promising) I still plan to make one stop in Southeastern SD, Meridian Corner in Freeman SD. This place has intrigued me for years and unfortunately I didn't know about the place when I was last in the area five years ago.
I won't be doing a trip report but will do reviews for restaurants that are roadfood worthy. I'm hoping to get in touch with Michael Stern to see if he will allow me access to the Roadfood Digest so I can blog about my Iowa Chop experience.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/10 11:01:48 (permalink)
WJ-
It is interesting that our trips this year seem to be mirroring each other.  I was in Green Bay, only a few weeks after you were.  And at the beginning of July, I am flying into Omaha and will spend time in both Dakotas and down into Iowa.  Archie's Waeside will be at the top of the list of places that I will be visiting.  Michael Stern's photo of his filet from there, just may be the single most appetizing photo on Roadfood!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/10 11:35:52 (permalink)
wj and bb,
EXCELLENT!!!  I'm glad both of you are going to go to Archie's Waeside!  You will NOT be disappointed.  Once I went with about a dozen folks from Sioux City, IA.  One of them was a butcher.  I said, "I'm having what you're having."  Turned out to be a rib eye steak.  Best I ever ate.  I had a taste of their Iowa Chop.......OMG.  Fantastic!  And after dinner you can mosey on over to the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlor for dessert.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Roadfood places not visited yet, but would like to 2015/06/10 12:54:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster
WJ-
It is interesting that our trips this year seem to be mirroring each other.  I was in Green Bay, only a few weeks after you were.  And at the beginning of July, I am flying into Omaha and will spend time in both Dakotas and down into Iowa.  Archie's Waeside will be at the top of the list of places that I will be visiting.  Michael Stern's photo of his filet from there, just may be the single most appetizing photo on Roadfood!

buffetbuster
Unless you have any plans to visit Yosemite and San Francisco in September or late October then I know that all of it is a coincidence. I suspect that I will be having the filet at Archie's Waeside. Two places I won't have time to visit are Johnny's Cafe and Farmer Brown's Steakhouse. However I look forward to visiting the Drover besides the buzz on the internet,   SGarfield  raved about the place on the Charlotte bus trip

lleechef
wj and bb,
EXCELLENT!!!  I'm glad both of you are going to go to Archie's Waeside!  You will NOT be disappointed.  Once I went with about a dozen folks from Sioux City, IA.  One of them was a butcher.  I said, "I'm having what you're having."  Turned out to be a rib eye steak.  Best I ever ate.  I had a taste of their Iowa Chop.......OMG.  Fantastic!  And after dinner you can mosey on over to the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlor for dessert.

lleechef, I always wanted to get you and the Amy half of Ayersian in a room together. When the White Way closed down in 2004 I was almost in tears thinking there wouldn't be an Iowa Chop in sight. You responded on the forum that there are Iowa Chops everywhere, if I recall you even said that some were "bigger than your behind" I know I can find the thread. Jump ahead 6 years, and Amy and I were talking at the Charleston Glee Club event, she spent the prior year in Iowa for her Doctorate, I expressed my disappointment that their roadfood findings  were limited to breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeats, pie and chili dogs. I asked "what about the Iowa Chops and here response was "where are they??" After reviewing the Iowa tourism guide, I actually had to narrow down my selections to a half dozen. It's clear that the Iowa Chop is alive and well.

****edit**********
I found it

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/White-Way-CafeGone-m57635.aspx?high=white+way+cafe
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/06/10 13:29:41
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->