Roadfood trip in Ohio

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2007/10/16 20:39:54 (permalink)

Roadfood trip in Ohio

I had some great road food adventures last week in Ohio with a fellow roadfooder.

I enjoyed everyone of them and here are the main ones:

Crabill's - Urbana, OH
Address:
727 Miami St.
Urbana, OH 43078

This was a return visit and every bit as delicious as the first visit. Those tiny hamburgers are terrific from the first bite to the last. Three of them, along with a Stewart's root beer made a wonderful meal for me. I did notice that the two men sitting on my right each downed 5 doubles in less time than it took me to eat my three. This place is a Roadfood treasure and if anywhere in the area, should be on your list of "must dos". It is amazing to see the efficiency of the gals working here.

Another Roadfood treasure that I experienced for the first time was:

G&R Tavern - Waldo, OH
Address:
103 N. Marion St.
Waldo, OH

When I was a child, my mother made us bologna sandwiches once in a while, but none like the one that I thoroughly enjoyed here. This is one terrific sandwich consisting of a very thick slice (think at least 1/2 inch) of bologna which has been fried and nicely crisp on the edges. Mine had mustard on the bottom part of roll and sliced bread and butter pickles on top of the bologna . This was a great combination of flavors and I really loved it. It went great with my bottle of beer. I would come here again anytime, but in the meanwhile, I am going to make this sandwich at home for the family and watch the delighted looks on their faces.

I enjoyed an excellent breakfast at the Grill and Skillet in Bexley, Ohio one morning. My poached eggs were done to perfection and enjoyed them with corned beef hash and some wonderful rye toast. Our service was really goofed up but it made it even more fun as we could not figure out what in the world our waitress was doing that she got so mixed up and totally confused. It made for a fun dining experience.

I know that this is chain food but one of the complete surprises of any meal that I had on my trip was lunch at Skyline Chili. I have always made fun of this concept of chili sauce on spaghetti and it sounded dreadful to me..............I just knew that I would not like it and would be able to laugh about it. I am sorry to say that I was dead wrong and that my chili-----three ways was really good. I would go back in a minute. I also tried their coney dog, which was very small but excellent. I would love to duplicate this at home. ( Does anyone have a good recipe?)

One of the fun things that I was treated to was an ice cream tasting. I have heard about Graeter’s ice cream for years and was so excited to try it. (Ice cream is high on my food pyramid.) I decided to go for plain vanilla to really test it. Once the gal on the counter determined that it was my first visit to a Graeter's, I was given a fact filled talk on it.............the amount of butterfat, how just 2 gallons of ice cream are made at a time and that Queen Elizabeth has a regular order for their black raspberry chip ice cream. I was given a sample taste of this and told that it is their favorite flavor. Anyway, my vanilla ice cream was really great,

My next tasting was at Velvet Ice Cream in Utica, Ohio. http://www.velveticecream.com/ What a lovely setting for some wonderful ice cream. This is truly a destination spot for the whole family. They have a museum, a milking parlor and a tour as well as a restaurant inside along with a large gift shop which I did not investigate. I ordered my vanilla ice cream and we went outdoors and sat on a stone wall and watched someone fishing in the lovely stream going through there. I would have to say that this was the very best ice cream of all three that I tasted..........very flavorful and rich.

The final ice cream tasting was at a Johnson's ice cream shop somewhere in the Columbus area. The ice cream was better than most but came out third in the tasting as it just was not as rich and creamy as the other two. I cannot believe all the great ice cream in Ohio.............nothing like that in my area at all.

I had a great Roadfood week and so enjoyed the new places.

7 Replies Related Threads

holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/16 22:11:57 (permalink)
    They sell a Skyline chile mix in most grocery stores. It's good but not as good as the real deal.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/17 09:58:45 (permalink)
    Greymo, where's your photos? Boy, your description of the fried bologna sandwich sent me reeling...my favorite from childhood in South Carolina.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/17 10:04:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ayersian

Greymo, where's your photos? Boy, your description of the fried bologna sandwich sent me reeling...my favorite from childhood in South Carolina.

I am not into doing photos of my Roadfood adventures. I get so busy enjoying what I am doing and what I am eating and most times I even forget to take my camera with me. Besides, isn't it fun to mentally visualize once in a while?..........helps one's imagination to grow.
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/17 11:21:52 (permalink)
    "I know that this is chain food but one of the complete surprises of any meal that I had on my trip was lunch at Skyline Chili. I have always made fun of this concept of chili sauce on spaghetti and it sounded dreadful to me..............I just knew that I would not like it and would be able to laugh about it. I am sorry to say that I was dead wrong and that my chili-----three ways was really good. I would go back in a minute. I also tried their coney dog, which was very small but excellent. I would love to duplicate this at home. ( Does anyone have a good recipe?)"
    Greymo - I have relatives in Cincy and No. KY, and being from the south I too fell in love with the cincy chili concept. I buy the skyline chili at Krogers and you can sometimes find in in the frozen foods too. To make my coney dogs I pan fry all beef dogs and use the finest shredded mild chedder cheese and pile it on with chopped up onions. I like the chili sauce on spaghetti very much. When I go visiting "up north" I first make a stop at Skyline before I even see my relatives.

I'm so glad you gave Skyline a try and I know this type of chili isn't for everyone (I'm the only one in my immediate family who eats it), but for those who haven't tried it, please do so.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/18 13:40:50 (permalink)
    You mentioned a visit not long ago to a place called the Gahanna Grill where you had a Beanie Burger. Here's a review of that place published in today's Columbus Dispatch: http://ee.dispatch.com/Daily/skins/Columbus/navigator.asp?Action=view/issue&Issue=TCD/2007/10/18&Page=47

Go to Page 26
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/22 16:47:32 (permalink)
    re: skyline chili
    my now husband, an ohio native, made me a 5 way skyline chili at home once. i took one bite then tried to feed it to the dog, who wouldnt eat it either. when we visited columbus OH i gave it another try for him, and started with a coney. i was hooked. now we visit skyline everytime we are in ohio. its definitely an aquired taste, but once it gets its hooks into you, youre a fan for life
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Roadfood trip in Ohio 2007/10/22 21:03:57 (permalink)
    I'll post my two versions of Cincinnati 'style' chili this week when I get a chance. They are totally different but I like them both depending on my mood.

If you are ever up near there again - swing by Springfield and go to Schuler's Bakery. My husband grew up there and we have to go there every time we visit and stock up. Everything is great - it's still the old fashioned bakery it always has been.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1