Helpful ReplyHot!Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3551
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 12:57:04 (permalink)
The problem is in taking their entire production team and equipment places, and also work rules. If they find a bunch of places close together, they can drastically reduce their cost to produce the show.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 13:06:46 (permalink)
Mrs. Metro and I have discovered great places both from Roadfood (e.g., Breezy Heights Tavern) and from DDD (e.g., Chef Pointe Café). 

Since we first saw Chef Pointe on DDD five years ago we have made the trek over to Watuga, TX (NE of Ft. Worth) every six months or so.  Each time the food is terrific and each time the place gets increasingly larger and more elegant.  Only the exterior front has remained the same since Guy first visited in 2009.  And yes, they still sell gas.   

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2717
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 14:09:56 (permalink)
You may like the TV Food Maps app. The free version locates most of the places featured on FoodTV & Travel near your present location, including DDD. The paid version offers more features.

We've used it to find decent places while on the road when no Roadfood places were nearby.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10423
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 14:35:31 (permalink)
blizzardstormus
 Although dozens of restaurants in Iowa have been reviewed by Roadfood, not a single Iowa restaurant has been on DDD.

And that is definitely their loss!  Iowa is such a great state for food.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 17:25:16 (permalink)
buffetbuster
blizzardstormus
 Although dozens of restaurants in Iowa have been reviewed by Roadfood, not a single Iowa restaurant has been on DDD.

And that is definitely their loss!  Iowa is such a great state for food.

Hey, you gotta have something for future episodes to look at!
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1021
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 17:33:24 (permalink)
1bbqboy
You mean Guy might actually drive the Camaro more than a block?

I doubt it
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8082
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 18:32:42 (permalink)
I think there are several of those 68 Camaros and they're transported, not driven to the different venues.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 18:43:28 (permalink)
I've only ever seen the show briefly and in spurts, if it's on while I'm at the bar. But doesn't he only drive it in the opening? In which case, they recorded it once and use the same footage every show. I've never seen him drive up to a restaurant he's featuring, I only ever see him inside...which doesn't mean I didn't miss it, because I don't watch the show as a rule.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7909
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 21:25:21 (permalink)
Before Diners Drive Ins and Dives and Man Vs Food came along and screwed things up, it was these two shows that exemplified Roadfood much moreso than the former

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRbf3ej8CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15nvaMFH6c
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/29 00:58:48 (permalink)
felix4067
I've only ever seen the show briefly and in spurts, if it's on while I'm at the bar. But doesn't he only drive it in the opening? In which case, they recorded it once and use the same footage every show. I've never seen him drive up to a restaurant he's featuring, I only ever see him inside...which doesn't mean I didn't miss it, because I don't watch the show as a rule.

Your presumptions are not correct. You need to watch several episodes to see how they do it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/29 01:03:44 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Before Diners Drive Ins and Dives and Man Vs Food came along and screwed things up, it was these two shows that exemplified Roadfood much moreso than the former

Before my time!
The 1st cooking shows I remember were:
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/two-fat-ladies.html

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 09:22:31 (permalink)
Foodbme
wanderingjew

Before my time!

Let's not forget Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet.  He started his amusing and informative 'stand 'n stir' shows back in the late 1960's.  And, he is still active at 80.

And, of course he would always have a back-story; one such led me to one of the most delightful places on earth, the Tivoli Gardens, where I enjoyed my first Steak au Poive in truly magical surroundings.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/30 09:23:46
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 09:41:17 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Foodbme
wanderingjew

Before my time!

Let's not forget Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet.  He started his amusing and informative 'stand 'n stir' shows back in the late 1960's.  And, he is still active at 80.

And, of course he would always have a back-story; one such led me to one of the most delightful places on earth, the Tivoli Gardens, where I enjoyed my first Steak au Poive in truly magical surroundings.

I actually remember watching him on TV when I came home from Kindergarten (1/2 day). I guess he was on around lunch time
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 12:09:56 (permalink)
...still make his Chicken Gismondo recipe...He was a good chef who was also entertaining!!!!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 15:55:18 (permalink)
Foodbme
felix4067

Your presumptions are not correct. You need to watch several episodes to see how they do it.

Thank you for the correction. I can't stand Guy Fieri, so the odds of my bothering are slim and none. But now I know!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8082
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 20:48:53 (permalink)
I like the show with the exception of Guy.  I like seeing the things being prepared at different restaurants.  I wish I could just turn his commentary off.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 21:11:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Before Diners Drive Ins and Dives and Man Vs Food came along and screwed things up,

I happen to be a fan of Guy & DD&D's...not quite so much Man vs Food,LOL... I will RESPECTFULLY disagree with Wandering Jew regarding who screwed what up......but the cable chef that first got me interested in regional cooking and, in a way, "Road Food" was Justin Wilson!
 http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=justin+wilson&qpvt=justin+wilson&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=DED650AE2CBB3EF01C1FDED650AE2CBB3EF01C1F

I "guarantee!:....
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 21:27:53 (permalink)
Davebassman
wanderingjew
Before Diners Drive Ins and Dives and Man Vs Food came along and screwed things up,

I happen to be a fan of Guy & DD&D's...not quite so much Man vs Food,LOL... I will RESPECTFULLY disagree with Wandering Jew regarding who screwed what up......but the cable chef that first got me interested in regional cooking and, in a way, "Road Food" was Justin Wilson!
 http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=justin+wilson&qpvt=justin+wilson&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=DED650AE2CBB3EF01C1FDED650AE2CBB3EF01C1F
 I "guarantee!:....

That's spelled and pronounced "I Gar - ON - Tee! Whew EEEEEE!
I loved him too!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/30 22:17:14 (permalink)

I don't understand all the dislike (even hate) for Guy Fieri.  He has done quite a bit to bring "RoadFood / RoadFood-ish"  type restaurants into the spotlight.  Yes, of course the Sterns have done so, as has this RF website and its many contributors/reviewers.  But, the type and degree of exposure on a major cable network such as the Food Network can't be overlooked.  Bringing more attention to these restaurants means more customers, which can mean the difference between a great RF place staying afloat and thriving, versus going out of business like many have done in the past.  Kudos to people like the Sterns, the reviewers on this site, AND Mr. Fieri for doing what they all do! 

Don't be blinded by the spiked hair and the corny shtick.  Mr. Fieri is another link (a strong link) in the chain that helps keep another great diner, BBQ joint, or clam shack from becoming the site of a future Starbucks, McDonald's, or Ruby Tuesdays.  

A couple weeks ago, Janet and I went to the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH.  The 2 women behind the counter said the place was featured on Guy Fieri's show (DDD).  I asked if they knew of Roadfood.  Neither had heard of RF!    This is not a knock on RoadFood, but Fieri's DDD can pick up some gaps, and it only adds to the "awareness" of the existence of RoadFood places.  When even the employees or proprietors of a place have not heard of RoadFood, you know that lots of potential customers have not, either.  The long-lived Red Arrow does not seem to be in any danger of closing any time soon, but there are lots of places that could be teetering on the brink of closure. .... And if Guy Fieri's show helps prevent some of those closures, then I'm all for the publicity that Fieri (or anyone else) can add. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/07/30 22:19:49
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 00:45:38 (permalink)
Glenn1234

I don't understand all the dislike (even hate) for Guy Fieri.  He has done quite a bit to bring "RoadFood / RoadFood-ish"  type restaurants into the spotlight.  Yes, of course the Sterns have done so, as has this RF website and its many contributors/reviewers.  But, the type and degree of exposure on a major cable network such as the Food Network can't be overlooked.  Bringing more attention to these restaurants means more customers, which can mean the difference between a great RF place staying afloat and thriving, versus going out of business like many have done in the past.  Kudos to people like the Sterns, the reviewers on this site, AND Mr. Fieri for doing what they all do! 

Don't be blinded by the spiked hair and the corny shtick.  Mr. Fieri is another link (a strong link) in the chain that helps keep another great diner, BBQ joint, or clam shack from becoming the site of a future Starbucks, McDonald's, or Ruby Tuesdays.  

A couple weeks ago, Janet and I went to the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH.  The 2 women behind the counter said the place was featured on Guy Fieri's show (DDD).  I asked if they knew of Roadfood.  Neither had heard of RF!    This is not a knock on RoadFood, but Fieri's DDD can pick up some gaps, and it only adds to the "awareness" of the existence of RoadFood places.  When even the employees or proprietors of a place have not heard of RoadFood, you know that lots of potential customers have not, either.  The long-lived Red Arrow does not seem to be in any danger of closing any time soon, but there are lots of places that could be teetering on the brink of closure. .... And if Guy Fieri's show helps prevent some of those closures, then I'm all for the publicity that Fieri (or anyone else) can add. 
 Glenn

Well said Glenn!
I don't remember how many places where I've eaten that qualify as RF worthy and where I've spoken to the owner or manager and told them I'm gonna do a write-up on Roadfood about their place - only to get a response, "What's Roadfood?" I explain Roadfood to them and some thank me and some are clueless. Most never heard of Roadfood.
Conversely, If a place is on DDD, the owners shout it in their ads, on their menus, in their signage and on their Facebook, Tweeter and web site. THAT's the difference between the written word and the power of Television.
Don't know if the Stern's ever considered doing a Roadfood TV show or not but it would have been a winner.
Would love to know if they ever explored the idea.   
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 01:17:07 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
From what I have seen here on the Forums - especially in Trip Reports -  there are a number of folks here who are very capable of writing reviews. 

And, it is my impression that Roadfood welcomes review submissions.

----------------

BTW, I have no doubt that the producers of DDD use Roadfood and the Forums as 'venue scouting resources'.

I tried to write a few official reviews but was rejected by Bruce Bilmes because I didn't use my full name, which I never do in public. I'm a public figure (radio broadcasting) and we don't use our real names in public for a very good reason: Stalkers
(Play Misty For Me)

So my reviews took the form of regular posts, at which point a self appointed a$$ in San Francisco got all snooty and said every place I've eaten & posted about was mediocre...that was his standard response to whatever I wrote, so why continue to post about places if people act like total jerk like that..?
post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/07/31 01:44:19
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 01:40:51 (permalink)
As a media type guy, who has worked on television (besides radio) I like DDD & Guy Fieri.

Unlike some of the folks here on RF, Guy is NOT "pretentious", and is more down to earth than he appears to be. I know the area he was raised in, I know the area where he now lives. I agree about the marketing & exposure that show has created. He's a Producer's dream because he IS funny & dynamic.

You won't get very far on TV with a Mr Rogers milquetoast type personallity.

He's geared to a younger generation, another plus for a program Producer...remember we're not talking about The Waltons, but a young French trained cook that likes to travel around and check out UNPRETENTIOUS food that REAL people eat...

While not taking anything away from ANYBODY here, I find that some of the food seen here on the RF webby site is simply not my style and is a bit frou frou. Others will (and have) disagree that in my opinion much of what is extolled here on Rf is Hoity Toity, perhaps even gourmet, which is not in agreement with my jaded opinion of what "Roadfood" really is.

In my humble opinion, roadfood is not the often stylized food we see photo's & reviews of on the home page. My interpretation is "roadfood" is blue collar type food...YMMV

It's probably obvious that I'm not a "foodie" but a regular guy that seeks out small mom & pop cafe's & diners on the backroads. Eggs & ham, CFS, taco's, B & G...

10 ditterent people will give you 10 different interpretation of what "Roadfood" is...and we all come here for different reasons.

I say "more power to Guy"...he fills a vacuum that producers in tall buildiings hadn't known existed until DDD was created, and IF the show didn't have good ratings, it would've died a long time ago...that's the reality of broadcasting...

post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/07/31 02:18:23
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 01:46:34 (permalink)
felix4067
The problem is in taking their entire production team and equipment places, and also work rules. If they find a bunch of places close together, they can drastically reduce their cost to produce the show.

Nothing wrong with that...it's the reality of media production, whether tv or radio, and the segments are usually not aired back to back. so, who cares...
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 01:57:32 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
No disrespect to DDD, but they are mostly interested in spots that show well on TV - they don't necessary taste the greatest.  They are in the entertainment business first, whereas Roadfood is firstly in the business on reporting great local eats.

Steve, the RF site here is geared towards "Foodies", and is at times more pretentious than the name would suggest.

DDD is geared to real people that are NOT "foodies", but know what they like & keep coming back...

It's not nessessarily the establishments that show well on TV, because some of them aren't all that much to look at in terms of what the camera will show, but more importantly, it's how the show is Produced, which starts in preproduction planning & a field visit by a field Producer. A good crew can make a common red brick seem interesting...it all depends on how it's approached...

There is a way overused word that I hesistate to use, but the places on DDD are "accessable" to normal people who are not "foodies"...

The bottom line is that there ARE "foodie" type tv shows avaiable on TV for those that want that...does every frigging show need to be a "foodie" show..?  Not on yer life, pal...there's room for everybody on the TV schedule and if you don't like it, the same knob that turns a tv ON, will in most cases also turn it OFF.
post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/07/31 01:58:49
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 02:03:17 (permalink)
Foodbme
felix4067

Yes, the Camero IS trailered from location to location (nothing wrong with that, they need to protect an icon of the program from getting in a wreck) , but I'd guess that at least half the intro's are done on the spot & are not just stock footage from another shoot...the first 10 seconds are often the same footage, but then it's edited to a shot of him rolling up to the joint being featured...
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 02:11:14 (permalink)
And to bring this back full circle...2 places I eat at that I KNOW have been on DDD, which I've posted about here on RF are Jax (At The Tracks) diner in Truckee, CA, and Catelli's in Geyserville, CA...

He also did a segment at Taylor's Refresher in St Helena, but I no longer eat there since it was sold & the new folks "improved" the menu with frou frou type stuff, which totally RUINED the place that many of us LOCAL's in the Napa Valley USED to go to, to enjoy a damn good burger & shake in the 1960's & '70's...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/07/31 02:12:47
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 02:13:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jmckee 2014/07/31 10:12:15
Tell it likr it is BackRhodes...said well!!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 08:22:11 (permalink)
Like BackRhodes says, we all have a different opinion about what Roadfood is, however ultimately keep in mind that it was the Sterns who coined the word Roadfood and unless my memory is wrong and I'm going senile, it was initially a celebration of "regional food" . Over the years and especially since Bruce Bilmes took over the realms (post website) Roadfood if anything has become more plebian and thanks to Ayersian, a little more hipsterish and there's nothing wrong with that. My only gripe is that alot of what used to be Roadfood has been completely forgotten (ie  midwestern Supper Clubs and Small town Family restaurants)  or has been dismissed as "instititutional" (ie any place that would have baked beans, brown bread and cod cakes on a menu in the Boston area).  I don't think any of the restaurants  on Roadfood are fru fru, I know for a fact that Roadfood is not just "blue collar food". In fact I showed my coworker Patti the Roadfood website since she is what I would consider a foodie and she dismissed all the restaurants on the website as  "trailer trash food" (her words, not mine) so we obviously all have very different opinions about what "fru fru" food or blue collar or roadfood is.

Regarding diners, drive ins and dives, (which is what Roadfood has turned into)   I would take Mark Silverstein, Jill Cordes or Sandra Pinckney over Guy Fieri or that other annoying guy on Man vs Food, anyday of the week no matter how Milquetoast they are. Obviously Food finds and the Best of lasted several seasons so apparently it worked.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 09:59:09 (permalink)
Roadfood stems from the written words of Jane and Michael Stern in books and magazines, and the many articles by news media to pick their vast accumulated knowledge. The website is an extension of that so others can participate in the adventure. DDD is an entertainment show and Guy was handpicked to host it as he was an up and coming Food Network personality who rose above others. Through his show he has become himself a vast accumulator of knowledge. That's just the way it is. Along the way the initial creator of DDD eventually got shoved aside. It was clear that person was initially influenced by Roadfood.com as he came online to pick brains here. So, it is all kind of intertwined and things do change over time. So who is going to whine and say Calvin Trillin is getting no respect?

BTW, as a side note, it was Sandra Pinckney, host of Food Finds that in a roundabout way turned me onto Roadfood.com. She did a show in 2004 called Racing Around Indiana and the opening shot was of Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway which happened to be the first architectural project I worked on as a architectural student intern. They featured breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches of my youth and my pursuit was on. It brought me here in my online pursuit.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 10:21:00 (permalink)
Wow, Davydd and I actually almost agree on something!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1