Helpful ReplyHot!Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3657
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 11:20:37 (permalink)
I have no problem with what Guy Fieri has done, or who he is, or anything else. I cannot stand his persona, and therefore I have no wish to watch anything he does. I feel the same way about a number of celebrities, because as opposed to the people in my actual life who I cannot avoid, I can avoid dealing with personality types I do not enjoy on TV by not watching them. I'm sure he's done wonderful things, I just choose not to listen to him do it.

BackRhodes
felix4067
The problem is in taking their entire production team and equipment places, and also work rules. If they find a bunch of places close together, they can drastically reduce their cost to produce the show.

Nothing wrong with that...it's the reality of media production, whether tv or radio, and the segments are usually not aired back to back. so, who cares...

I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was offering a reason why it is that they require the places they feature be in close proximity and why they haven't featured some places that deserve to be on the show because they are located far from others. I work in the entertainment industry...I get it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4655
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/31 13:37:33 (permalink)
I'm missing the hipper part of RF. Did that leave with I95, or is that what the insider section entails?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/08/01 01:51:45 (permalink)
wanderingjew
 I don't think any of the restaurants  on Roadfood are fru fru, I know for a fact that Roadfood is not just "blue collar food". In fact I showed my coworker Patti the Roadfood website since she is what I would consider a foodie and she dismissed all the restaurants on the website as  "trailer trash food" (her words, not mine) so we obviously all have very different opinions about what "fru fru" food or blue collar or roadfood is.

Patti is write. I always take Cletus, Little Billie Jo and the Oh Boy twins (cuz thats what she said when they was born) to those Roadfoody places. It's always a great meal before we head back to our lovely little double-wide on Route 66.

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7395
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/08/02 21:08:15 (permalink)
I am watching DDD right now.  A very informative first episode about fried chicken.  Now onto "Real Deal Mexican".  Also a good show.  The reason I occasionally watch this show is because he frequents places that we, as Roadfooders, seek out!! 
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8404
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/08/02 23:10:10 (permalink)
Lisa, that is why I watch it when I can.  I can't stand Guy's antics or voice but I find some of the places he visits quite interesting.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/08/17 11:45:15 (permalink)
I watch DDD when I'm traveling; they do highlight some restaurants that are of interest to me. Guy's tagline of "this place has been serving up (insert city)'s best grub since 2013" always make me laugh -- only because true RF establishments have been in business longer than I've been born. And I've been to a few non-RF places featured on the show and was met with mediocrity. A few years back while in Omaha, I was so entranced by his segment on California Tacos & More that I skipped a RF stop and went there. Overpriced, flavorless, and just disappointing. Nice guy running the place, though -- I told him I saw him on TV, and he replied, "There's always an upswing in business for a week or so when that DDD episode reruns!" And yes, I know that Omaha is not the place for Mexican food...but they looked so promising on TV! Chris
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/08/17 13:14:26 (permalink)
ayersian
I watch DDD when I'm traveling; they do highlight some restaurants that are of interest to me. Guy's tagline of "this place has been serving up (insert city)'s best grub since 2013" always make me laugh -- only because true RF establishments have been in business longer than I've been born. And I've been to a few non-RF places featured on the show and was met with mediocrity. A few years back while in Omaha, I was so entranced by his segment on California Tacos & More that I skipped a RF stop and went there. Overpriced, flavorless, and just disappointing. Nice guy running the place, though -- I told him I saw him on TV, and he replied, "There's always an upswing in business for a week or so when that DDD episode reruns!" And yes, I know that Omaha is not the place for Mexican food...but they looked so promising on TV! Chris

Also disappointing is to go to a place recommended on Roadfood only to find out it's been shut down for 2 years!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8703
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 10:38:24 (permalink)
Bob saw an episode of DDD which featured a diner in Warsaw, Indiana named Schoops-and we decided to try it. Glad we did! The owner grinds his beef daily for the burgers, and they were the bomb. We returned about a week later, this time introducing Bob to his first BPT. Excellent, and big enough to split between us. The owner came out to speak to us on our first visit, I think because he heard us asking our waitress alot of questions. Very nice man, and he commended us for ordering fried onions on our burgers( in Indiana the onions are called grilled) On our 2nd visit, he apparently was leaving the restaurant for the day, but saw us walking in, gave us a hearty wave and said he was glad to see us return. So in our case, DDD was a good source for a great restaurant.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4655
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 11:11:52 (permalink)
ayersian
Rule 1-never pass up a chance to go to the Bohemian Cafe.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 11:18:30 (permalink)
I enjoy seeing the menu selections at most of the DDD stops, but the kitchen work is so consistently repetitive  and in many cases I don't come into a restaurant searching for an interesting biography to accompany my meal, so I don't need to hear the history of Peggy's Sue's 5 marriages to the former owners or whatever.
Show me the outside community, the dining area and demographics of the customer base, then get to the menu, a few kitchen prep and arranging food shots, service and polite banter with the customers and then get us out of ther headed down the road to the next stop.  Instead of jumping around the country in one 30 min episode, I wish he would offer two or three stops in a community or an area to give visitors a choice of foods for the basic breakfasts, lunchs, or dinners in a city .

Read the DDD books and you have the equal to Roadfood in todays somewhat slipshod vocabulary. RF is Smoother, The Sterns write in a more professional level, that I  definitiely appreciate more than the slap-happy DDD.
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 11:38:34 (permalink)
DDD did three restaurants on the same block here, I think on the same episode, but I could be wrong. All 3 have fantastic food, I work a few blocks away and have eaten at all of them more than once, one more times than I can count. They've done a few other places in the area also that I've either not been to, or have and the food isn't very good.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7395
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 11:40:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby QFan 2014/09/12 07:09:26
I happen to like the kitchen scenes the best.  I'm impressed when some guy or gal in a cramped kitchen in some po-dunk town is going to all the bother of making duck confit to shred and put on a sandwich.  The show has to be a little slap-happy and jumping all over the place or it would be boring to the viewing audience.  After all, it IS TV!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8703
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 18:03:14 (permalink)
Well, I love the history of a restaurant.
jman
  • Total Posts : 1366
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 18:56:47 (permalink)
Since I rarely get out of the house for anything other than going to my oncologist, the chances of me visiting one of the featured restaurants on DDD are zero.  I still enjoy watching DDD and a big part of the enjoyment comes from hearing the stories about the history of the various restaurants and their owners.  DDD is entertainment people- nothing more and nothing less.  At least it's not a show that depends on conflict to draw viewers.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2465
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/09 22:13:13 (permalink)
SeamusD, I know DDD has been to Eva's, Pastabilities and Kitty Hoynes.  All places I have yet to try. 

Man v. Food made it to Dinosaur, Heids and Mother's Cupboard, all of which I have been to many times!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/09/10 01:06:15 (permalink)
I've never seen any Guns, Drugs, Sex, Murders, Rapes or Violence, Greed or Corruption on DDD.
How do they even think that they'll be able to stay on TV for any length of time???????????????? 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1