Helpful ReplyHot!Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10270
2014/07/19 03:48:02 (permalink)

Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I seem to see many places on DDD that could qualify as Roadfood eligible but I've never seen them on any Roadfood posts.
Yes, there are some places that have been on both but it seems that there is little duplication.
Some of the DDD places must have been visited by a Roadfooder at one time or another, wouldn't you think?
Has anyone else noticed this and what's your observation on the subject?
AND no, I'm not interested in what you think about Guy, his hair, his tats, his sunglasses, his flip-flops, his car or the DDD show's format.
I'm only interested in what you think about why many those places he visits haven't shown up on Roadfood.com.   
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 08:02:53 (permalink)
When you say haven't shown up on Roadfood.com, do you mean discussed in the forums or have official Roadfood reviews?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4098
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 08:16:49 (permalink)
Maybe our RF's in some areas do not have cameras or don't want to write reviews.

I recommend/praise Metro29 Diner in Arlington, VA every appropriate chance I get, especially Where Should I Eat threads that involve NoVa. 

Fieri did a DDD piece on them that one can access through the restaurant website.

I suppose I could do a 'long distance' review from Dallas and use images from the web, but that would be wrong.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 08:44:43 (permalink)
MetroplexJim-
You have mentioned Metro29 Diner many times here.  Despite the fact I am in Arlington at least once a year, I have not visited, yet.  That won't happen again.  And I will have my camera!

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2404
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 08:51:31 (permalink)
MetroplexJim, I think it may be a combination of factors.  My guess is that DDD has a big budget and can cover more ground than RF.  The staff at RF is small and aside from Michael and Jane, they are all volunteer and have paying jobs outside of RF so the time they have to devote to Trip Reports and reviews may be less than they would like.

For all of the official members on RF, very few are really active and not very many post Trip Reports or reviews.  I think it is for multiple reasons.  Some are not comfortable taking pictures of their food or pulling out the camera in front of others, some are lurkers on the site, some may not have the time, money or health to travel to these places and are hoping that eventually the Sterns will get there.  It is also possible that RF members have been to some of the DDD places and just didn't like them and didn't feel they were worthy of a review.  

There are plenty of DDD places that have overlapped with RF: Super Duper Weenie, The Squeeze Inn, Grover's Bar & Grill, Hildebrandt's, Golden Crown Panaderia, Harry's Roadhouse and Sophia's Place just to name a few.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2635
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 08:56:36 (permalink)
I think restaurants reviewed at Roadfood have been in business for some length of time and have developed a long-time reputation for quality. DDD will take any Johnny-come-lately that may go out of business or change their menu at any time.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 09:43:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim-
You have mentioned Metro29 Diner many times here.  Despite the fact I am in Arlington at least once a year, I have not visited, yet.  That won't happen again.  And I will have my camera!

I wouldn't steer you wrong. 
As I recall you liked the Eastern Carolina Barbecue-out-of-a-can sandwich at Weenie Beenie.
This will be even better!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 10:07:01 (permalink)
From what I have seen here on the Forums - especially in Trip Reports -  there are a number of folks here who are very capable of writing reviews. 

And, it is my impression that Roadfood welcomes review submissions.

----------------

BTW, I have no doubt that the producers of DDD use Roadfood and the Forums as 'venue scouting resources'.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1030
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 10:42:37 (permalink)
One of the creator producers of DDD did post here a couple of times looking for suggestions before the show first aired. 
post edited by plb - 2014/07/19 20:10:43
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6836
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 10:48:36 (permalink)
When I watch DDD I have my latest edition of Roadfood on one side and my laptop on the other.  Many times the places Fieri is featuring have already been reviewed by RF.  Same holds true for The Travel Channel and their food shows.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 10:58:41 (permalink)
plb
One of the producers of DDD did post here a couple of times looking for suggestions before the show first aired. 

It was actually the creator of the show and he was from the Twin Cities. I believe he is no longer involved.

There are formal reviews on Roadfood.com and there is forum discussion. I suspect the forum discussion has been more extensive and I would imagine you would find just about every place DDD had gone had been mentioned and discussed in the forums. Besides, does anyone think DDD could outperform buffetbuster and wanderingjew
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 17:37:09 (permalink)
buffetbuster
When you say haven't shown up on Roadfood.com, do you mean discussed in the forums or have official Roadfood reviews?

Either one.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 17:49:41 (permalink)
Davydd
plb
One of the producers of DDD did post here a couple of times looking for suggestions before the show first aired. 

It was actually the creator of the show and he was from the Twin Cities. I believe he is no longer involved.
 There are formal reviews on Roadfood.com and there is forum discussion. I suspect the forum discussion has been more extensive and I would imagine you would find just about every place DDD had gone had been mentioned and discussed in the forums. Besides, does anyone think DDD could outperform buffetbuster and wanderingjew

"I suspect the forum discussion has been more extensive and I would imagine you would find just about every place DDD had gone had been mentioned and discussed in the forums."
Sorry Davydd, I must disagree with your generalization.
I've seen many places on DDD and have done searches on RF for them and could not find them.
I will however, agree with you that Buffetbuster & WanderingJew have no equals!
Also, my original comment was intended to include all sources of posts, not just from Michael & staff or formal reviews but all posts from everyone on RF on any threads or forums.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 381
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 20:06:15 (permalink)
I've been to a few DDD places in my travels, a couple before they even made it to the show. At least one of them I wrote up a trip report for, (Terry's Turf Club in Cinci). I know BB has been there, too as well as one of the recent group trips. I've seen some of the same places in trip reports others have posted, too. I watch DDD for ideas for places to visit in the future, they've got a good record. Just like Roadfood.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4585
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 22:31:31 (permalink)
The big difference to me is that Mr Flavortown is paid well do hit all those places and put them on the air, whereas trip reporters here pay for their own travel and meals and the trip reviews they do are unpaid and voluntary

Said another way - if I were paid like Mr Spikehair to travel and eat and report, you'd see me churn out dozens of reports on eateries all over
Davydd
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 23:10:29 (permalink)
Foodbme
Davydd
plb

"I suspect the forum discussion has been more extensive and I would imagine you would find just about every place DDD had gone had been mentioned and discussed in the forums."
Sorry Davydd, I must disagree with your generalization.
I've seen many places on DDD and have done searches on RF for them and could not find them.
I will however, agree with you that Buffetbuster & WanderingJew have no equals!
Also, my original comment was intended to include all sources of posts, not just from Michael & staff or formal reviews but all posts from everyone on RF on any threads or forums.

Yeah but you have to look at the other shoe. The Roadfood.com Forums has discussed more places than DDD could ever possibly get to in a 100 years.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/19 23:26:02 (permalink)
There are over 1700 reviews on this site.  Plus all the places we talk about that aren't reviewed........I'd like to see DDD do that!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/20 05:04:22 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
The big difference to me is that Mr. Flavortown is paid well do hit all those places and put them on the air, whereas trip reporters here pay for their own travel and meals and the trip reviews they do are unpaid and voluntary
 Said another way - if I were paid like Mr. Spikehair to travel and eat and report, you'd see me churn out dozens of reports on eateries all over

Mr. Whatever is only ONE person and there are over 100,000 + Subscribers, (Potential Posters) on Roadfood.com so that argument doesn't hold water.
Potentially we have 100,000+ more reporters on here than is on DDD!
You don't necessarily need to do ANY travel to write a report or make a post.
Each of us has at least 5-6 and probably more places within 25 miles of our homes that would qualify as "Roadfood Posting Eligible".  
The problem is we have a relatively small nucleus of members compared to the total numbers of Subscribers on here that do any active posting.
Lurkers vastly outnumber posters.
It costs The Food Network MEGA BUCKS to send Mr. What's His Name, his support crew and his Camaro all over the country to tape shows.
How do they find these places?
Easy- People who watch the DDD Show, send them emails, smoke signals, etc. and tell them about these unique joints. DDD researches them and if found interesting, they go there. 
Yet, they seem to hit places that are in our Roadfooders back yards and we never see reports on here about those places.
Yes, it's fully acknowledged there are some duplicates so don't beat that dead horse.
It takes a Roadfooder about a Buck for gas and the price of a meal to go 5 miles down the road to eat and then write-up Bob's Chicken & Things Hole in the Wall joint. 
We just need more subscribers to start posting.
Granted, There are thousands more places written up in all of the Stern's Books and all the other places posted on here by Roadfooders than DDD has ever visited.
Thank Goodness for people like the Stern's, Buffetbuster, WanderingJew and many, many others who take the time and foot the expense to travel across the country to let us live vicariously through their epicurean adventures.
We just need to convert more of the Lurkers into Posters.
Like everything else in this world 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

NOW, LET ME OPEN ANOTHER CAN OF WORMS! 
With technology being what it is, what would it take to be able to post AUDIO-VISUAL REPORTS on here?????????
Still photos are nice, but wouldn't an audio-visual report knock your socks off?
I can see Buffetbuster recording a visit to Fran's Place in Mesa, AZ on his Smart Phone - Interviewing Fran and some of the customers, taking panoramic shots of the joint and her selection of pies and reporting it on here.
Wouldn't THAT be something Buckaroo's? 
HEADLINE- "Roadfood.com Enters The 21st Century!"
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/07/20 05:44:16
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15279
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/20 08:34:47 (permalink)
Just a brief response to this new concept presented by Foodbeme-  It is a major change in "Purpose" for some to switch from visiting a food business as part of a trip to 'somewhere', even if that food stop is an important part of the destination itself, and making the food stop THE destination.

I just spent an evening reviewing some of othe Southern Food Alliance Oral History Interviews of various "BBQ and Gumbo Trails thru the South". In addition to the written transcripts they had still-cam slide shows and videos of the sites and the interviews. They were very interesting, but they took considerable time and required a depth of interest that many folks aren't looking to give when they want info on a decent place to stop for lunch in Hastings, Nebraska, etc.

If you would like to sample some excellent foodie research, check out this site and follow the links to your heart's content.-
http://www.southernfoodways.org/oral-history/

I don't think the RF public are ready for in-depth research. I  do think we need to encourage members to take the time to write up and photograph places they visit, be they next-door to home or while on a major travel adventure. It is those current notices that provide info for the readers and users... and up to now, that has been our target audience.
al
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/20 17:11:42 (permalink)
mayor al
Just a brief response to this new concept presented by Foodbeme-  It is a major change in "Purpose" for some to switch from visiting a food business as part of a trip to 'somewhere', even if that food stop is an important part of the destination itself, and making the food stop THE destination.

I just spent an evening reviewing some of othe Southern Food Alliance Oral History Interviews of various "BBQ and Gumbo Trails thru the South". In addition to the written transcripts they had still-cam slide shows and videos of the sites and the interviews. They were very interesting, but they took considerable time and required a depth of interest that many folks aren't looking to give when they want info on a decent place to stop for lunch in Hastings, Nebraska, etc.

If you would like to sample some excellent foodie research, check out this site and follow the links to your heart's content.-
http://www.southernfoodways.org/oral-history/

I don't think the RF public are ready for in-depth research. I  do think we need to encourage members to take the time to write up and photograph places they visit, be they next-door to home or while on a major travel adventure. It is those current notices that provide info for the readers and users... and up to now, that has been our target audience.
al

Mayor,
THANX! for the link. Maybe that's where some of the "RF Public" went when they got tired of the same old-same old on Roadfood. I don't consider it in-depth research, just interesting reporting.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15279
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/20 18:37:39 (permalink)
But don't you see the difference between the WJ's and BB's in the group and those who may be making a trip to Wally World with the Griswold's, and between the stops at the Country Cousins and the Grand Canyon, they would like to find a decent place to eat near Mt Rushmore and the Everglades Nat'l Park. I'm sure you get the drift of my message. There are almost as many levels of interest in seeking out road-food establishments as there are people who are doing the seeking out.
For some, going IN and Sitting Down in a Mom and Pop place, selected purely by RF Guide, is a major adventure in dining. Others , as we read here won't be caught dead in a McDonald's Drive-thru line waiting for their McRib sandwiches to be brought out.

Different strokes, my friend...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/20 20:18:38 (permalink)
mayor al
But don't you see the difference between the WJ's and BB's in the group and those who may be making a trip to Wally World with the Griswold's, and between the stops at the Country Cousins and the Grand Canyon, they would like to find a decent place to eat near Mt Rushmore and the Everglades Nat'l Park. I'm sure you get the drift of my message. There are almost as many levels of interest in seeking out road-food establishments as there are people who are doing the seeking out.
For some, going IN and Sitting Down in a Mom and Pop place, selected purely by RF Guide, is a major adventure in dining. Others , as we read here won't be caught dead in a McDonald's Drive-thru line waiting for their McRib sandwiches to be brought out.
 Different strokes, my friend...

Agreed!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4023
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/22 01:35:13 (permalink)
Yes, they inquired about my review of Gaffey Street Diner. It wound up on the third episode. For some reason I have not received my residual check for the episode yet.

I have reviewed places here that I have found on DD&D. Sadly, I have also been to places that "lost it" after some DD&D fame.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/27 16:24:10 (permalink)
The TV wasn't on the Food Network when I turned it on this afternoon, it was on the Travel Channel.  Imagine my surprise when the first thing I saw was this!  http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/343/bon-ton-mini-mart
They were doing a segment called "Fried Chicken Paradise".  I heard, "This chicken is so good it's even featured on Roadfood.com."  Then they quoted Michael Stern.  Pretty cool, huh?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/27 16:52:27 (permalink)
Well, I do try to listen to the Splendid Table on NPR to get the latest Michael Stern musings. Usually much more is said than, "That's money."
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7907
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/27 20:11:13 (permalink)
I was happy to see Starling Diner of Long Beach, California on DD&D the other night.  I reviewed it here last year.

They did not invite me to the filming.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/27 20:40:21 (permalink)
No disrespect to DDD, but they are mostly interested in spots that show well on TV - they don't necessary taste the greatest.  They are in the entertainment business first, whereas Roadfood is firstly in the business on reporting great local eats.
post edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. - 2014/07/27 21:01:34
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 06:03:58 (permalink)
One of DDD's books listed the criteria to be considered for the show; location was of first importance. The producers look for 8 to 10 restaurants in a small geographical area. This leads to most DDD joints being in or near large metropolitan areas. Although dozens of restaurants in Iowa have been reviewed by Roadfood, not a single Iowa restaurant has been on DDD.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6274
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 07:12:50 (permalink)
...hey that could be a whole new show to suggest to them....out of the way Diners, drive-ins and Dives...but worth the time to get there!!!...or even a new series!!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Roadfood verses Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives 2014/07/28 11:26:41 (permalink)
You mean Guy might actually drive the Camaro more than a block?
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1