LockedRoadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes...

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2012/02/19 17:05:06 (permalink)

Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes...

Why do *some* folks get so damn condescending IF a newer person does not KNOW EVERYTHING THAT THEY KNOW...???

I made a comment in another area about a place that I had a poor experience at...

One person with well over 6,000 posts from Arizona was actually chiding me for not knowing about the place in question. He said it was on just about every TV network, food show, and magazine ever published...he went on to add a few insults ... saying I must live in a cave with no contact with the outside world ...

I was just told about the place in question while on a train, had no computer, no online access while on said train...so I had no time or ability to research a place that I "should've known about"...

What a bunch of condescending food snob BS...I'm a vet, Saigon class of '69, 101st Airborne...and some of the things that have been said to me here are things they'd dare not say directly to me face to face...yet they make very snide remarks while hiding behind a keyboard like a smug pussy(cat)...

I'm amazed at the attitudes of some of the "old timers" here towards those without as much knowledge or exposure...and THIS has been mentioned periodically in various sections of this webby site, so this appears to be an ongoing issue here ...

The newer folks are here because we WANT TO LEARN & SHARE, not be insulted by an "old timer" because we don't know as much as they do...

I guess the following web site rules no longer apply, huh...???

1. RULES OF CONDUCT
Due to the high probability of discussions involving political or social issues degrading into exchanges that will violate the first two rules of this forum, such discussions are forbidden. Posts in violation will be deleted. Continued violation of this guideline can lead to loss of posting privileges.

• Show respect at all times.
  • Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.
  • Trolling is prohibited. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).
It does no good to add various smile icons to the end of a snide post...you're still being a total jerk no matter how many smile icons you use...

This web site has lots of potential to share information, but when some people act like jerks it negates any positive exchange of ideas...and it also drives away people that came here because they had an interest...

SHAME ON THE JERKS...you should have your mouth washed out with soap...!!!
post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/02/19 17:12:06

10 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/19 17:19:02 (permalink)
    Methinks you're way too sensitive. jmho, pb (Saigon Vet -Class of '68)
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/19 17:25:37 (permalink)
    Not true...

This issue is a recurring one...and it seems to come up for discussion on a regular basis...which DOES indicate on ongoing problem...

It's not just 1 incident, that promted me to post this, but the attitude of several "old timers" in many posts...
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/19 17:35:39 (permalink)
    Using that "wear your a$$ as a hat" line could be considered overreacting. Pb
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/19 20:45:20 (permalink)
    I'm just saying that things are said with a keyboard that folks would never say to my face...

Time to fire up the grill as the sun goes down...wearing my parka...
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/19 20:57:46 (permalink)
    You should keep quiet. Everything you yellow hi lited, you are guilty of. [street and bar fighter, 200+-0], 1967 to present].
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/20 01:50:24 (permalink)
    How long are you gonna beat this horse? Here's my post from the other thread.
    "Lighten up guy! All that was meant as a light hearted joke.  I was trying to be funny. Obviously, it got under your thin skin. I Apologize! It just seemed strange that someone that's been on Roadfood as long as you have hasn't heard about Philippes and how they operate. Sorry about that!
    I'll take the post down." (AND I Did)
    When discussing attitudes, I suggest you look in the mirror.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/20 01:51:02 (permalink)
    How long are you gonna beat this horse? Here's my post from the other thread.
    "Lighten up guy! All that was meant as a light hearted joke.  I was trying to be funny. Obviously, it got under your thin skin. I Apologize! It just seemed strange that someone that's been on Roadfood as long as you have hasn't heard about Philippes and how they operate. Sorry about that!
    I'll take the post down." (AND I Did)
    When discussing attitudes, I suggest you look in the mirror.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/20 09:43:44 (permalink)
    Despite all of the minutia above.  I do think RF has a de facto process in place that relies on (or makes room for) "new blood" as so many, well intentioned, polite, contributors get driven away through insults and condescending remarks.

I have come to terms with this.  I have taken a few hiatuses over time, only to be driven back by members who prefer to chide me for "nit-picks" that are discouraging to otherwise well-intentioned contributions.

Again, I've come to terms with this.  It is apparently, in effect the sanctioned community culture we must live with.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/20 17:30:35 (permalink)
    I knew practically nothing of the many restaurants discussed here when I joined. I now know alot because A) it was discussed here. B) I researched them myself or followed the links. I travel very little, but when I have, the knowledge of my roadfood friends and their reviews have helped me eat well along my limited routes.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Roadfood web site "Old Timer" bad attitudes... 2012/02/20 17:31:07 (permalink)
    And yes, there are snots-I just overlook that now.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1