Helpful ReplyRoadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
2009/06/08 02:26:26 (permalink)

Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour

It looks like our next Roadfood Eating Tour is going to be in Buffalo and Rochester on September 19th and 20th. Be prepared for some incredible roast beef sandwiches, steak sandwiches, hot dogs, chicken wings, custard and other goodies.

Tickets are available to Roadfood Insiders on June 16th at 12 PM EST, and to everyone else on June 18th at 12 PM EST.

------------------------------------------------------------
Everybody with an appetite knows at least one specialty of Buffalo: the chicken wing, which was configured in all its perfect blue-cheese-hot-sauce-and-celery-stalk deliciousness in 1964 at the Anchor Bar. The Autumn, 2009, Roadfood eating tour -- September 19 & 20 -- will be pulling into the Anchor Bar to feast on classic wings in hot and not-too-hot variations to conclude the weekend's edible festivities. Prior to this grand finale, the two-day celebration of deliciousness in Buffalo and Rochester will take us to some of the region's lesser-appreciated culinary wonders.

Unlike previous Roadfood tours, on which everybody paid for food at each place we visited, on this tour several of the local specialties are INCLUDED in the cost of a ticket. These will be a multi-meat blow-out at Dinosaur Barbecue in Rochester, beef on weck sandwiches at Buffalo's estimable Schwabl's, and all the wings you can eat at the Anchor Bar on Sunday. Again: these three legendary upstate New York meals will cost nothing beyond the tour ticket price.

A ticket will cost $189 and will include transportation from hotel to restaurants and back, a special-edition Roadfood polo shirt made of Adidas Dri-Fit material, and meals at Dinosaur, Schwabl's, and the Anchor Bar. We are negotiating with Buffalo hotels for the best rate. Whichever one we choose will have free shuttle service to and from the airport, so it won't be necessary to rent a car or pay for airport transportation.

The itinerary is not yet locked-in and therefore subject to change, but this is the way it now looks. The tour will start at 9:30am on Saturday, when the bus will head to Rochester. First meal of the day: Dinosaur Barbecue. From there we will travel to the LDR Char Pit for steak sandwiches, then have dessert at Abbott's Frozen Custard. We'll have plenty of time to lick custard, socialize, and recharge appetites for the last stop of the day: Nick Tahou's, home of the notorious Garbage Plate. From there, the bus returns to Buffalo.

Sunday morning, the bus will leave from the hotel at 10:30 for beef on weck at Schwabl's, where extra carvers will be on duty to make sure we all get moist, rosy-red beef sliced fresh off the roast. After Schwabl's, we head for Ted's and a sampling of just how great upstate New York wieners can be, especially when expertly cooked over charcoal, crowned with hot sauce, and accompanied by onion rings and Loganberry juice. From Ted's, we'll go to one of Buffalo's great ice cream / candy stores (to be determined) for a taste of the city's little-appreciated but unsurpassed gift for sweets, especially those enrobed in chocolate. After candy, we head to the Anchor Bar for the Buffalo wing party, after which the bus will return to the hotel.

We figure that events will conclude by early evening on Sunday, but if anyone needs to leave the tour early, it would be a fairly short cab ride from any of Sunday's featured restaurants to the Buffalo airport.

Tickets are available to Roadfood Insiders on June 16th at 12 PM EST, and to everyone else (you must be a Roadfood.com registered user) on June 18th at 12 PM EST. Act fast! Last year's event sold out in days.

Check the home page once tickets go on sale for purchasing instructions. All credit card transactions will be processed through PayPal.

ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 14:04:12 (permalink)
Stephen, this may be the most exciting RF tour yet!  Amy & I can't wait for September to roll around...  Chris
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 17:41:20 (permalink)
Oops, I originally put this post in the wrong forum - that's the last time I try to post something at 2 AM!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 18:17:37 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Oops, I originally put this post in the wrong forum - that's the last time I try to post something at 2 AM!

I noticed that but was afraid of getting my pay docked for moving it...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 19:44:51 (permalink)
I wish I could make the trip and I am sure it will be as good as the NOLA version but that will be very hard to do.

I gotta check and see what kind of air tickets will be available then.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 20:02:37 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I wish I could make the trip and I am sure it will be as good as the NOLA version but that will be very hard to do.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

C'mon Paul......

I'll be there!!
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 20:07:35 (permalink)
As I said when I first saw the notice about this event, I am looking forward to this event.  The places on the stop are all winners, and anyone who comes will have some good eats.  Looking forward to seeing as many who can make it.  All I need to do now is get into training (both eating and running to work off the eating).
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 20:21:09 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

C'mon Paul......

I'll be there!!

WJ, you can probably drive but there is no way that I can.  Maybe I can take that back as I drove to NOLA???  Probably no difference in miles??
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/08 20:24:53 (permalink)
Sundancer7

wanderingjew

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

C'mon Paul......

I'll be there!!

WJ, you can probably drive but there is no way that I can.  Maybe I can take that back as I drove to NOLA???  Probably no difference in miles??
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I checked- Buffalo is only 85 miles further from  Knoxville than New Orleans is...

Oh come on...do it....we'll have a blast!!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 06:44:37 (permalink)
I am certain that Buffalo would be a fun trip but nearly 700 miles would be a bit tiring.  It would be fun to be with our friends.  I will work on it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 08:41:30 (permalink)
I'm planning on being there. My only question is if i should fly in a couple days early to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and sample some of the roadfood delights in those places. I'm leaning to Cleveland or Akron so I can sample those delights, visit McKinley's birthplace in Niles and visit the lake In Erie, Pa or that big store in Sharon.
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 09:19:02 (permalink)
Not sure I can do the whole ticket..is there a policy regarding hangers-on..? I might be able to join the group at a couple stops in Rochester
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 09:43:48 (permalink)
This sounds great! I wouldn't miss it for anything ( and Paul, you've just got to join us... you know you want to!! )  
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/06/09 09:46:01
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 09:50:39 (permalink)
nocarolina

This sounds great! I wouldn't miss it for anything ( and Paul, you've just got to join us... you know you want to!! )  

My wants do not always equate to my needs although I will make an effort.  The trip would be very tiring for me but I have made longer trips recently.  The trip to NOLA was about 600 miles and I was able to combine it with a business trip.  That helped with the expenses.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 11:20:02 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

It looks like our next Roadfood Eating Tour is going to be in Buffalo and Rochester on September 19th and 20th. Be prepared for some incredible roast beef sandwiches, steak sandwiches, hot dogs, chicken wings, custard and other goodies.

Tickets are available to Roadfood Insiders on June 16th at 12 PM EST, and to everyone else on June 18th at 12 PM EST.

------------------------------------------------------------
Everybody with an appetite knows at least one specialty of Buffalo: the chicken wing, which was configured in all its perfect blue-cheese-hot-sauce-and-celery-stalk deliciousness in 1964 at the Anchor Bar. The Autumn, 2009, Roadfood eating tour -- September 19 & 20 -- will be pulling into the Anchor Bar to feast on classic wings in hot and not-too-hot variations to conclude the weekend's edible festivities. Prior to this grand finale, the two-day celebration of deliciousness in Buffalo and Rochester will take us to some of the region's lesser-appreciated culinary wonders.

Unlike previous Roadfood tours, on which everybody paid for food at each place we visited, on this tour several of the local specialties are INCLUDED in the cost of a ticket. These will be a multi-meat blow-out at Dinosaur Barbecue in Rochester, beef on weck sandwiches at Buffalo's estimable Schwabl's, and all the wings you can eat at the Anchor Bar on Sunday. Again: these three legendary upstate New York meals will cost nothing beyond the tour ticket price.

A ticket will cost $189 and will include transportation from hotel to restaurants and back, a special-edition Roadfood polo shirt made of Adidas Dri-Fit material, and meals at Dinosaur, Schwabl's, and the Anchor Bar. We are negotiating with Buffalo hotels for the best rate. Whichever one we choose will have free shuttle service to and from the airport, so it won't be necessary to rent a car or pay for airport transportation.

The itinerary is not yet locked-in and therefore subject to change, but this is the way it now looks. The tour will start at 9:30am on Saturday, when the bus will head to Rochester. First meal of the day: Dinosaur Barbecue. From there we will travel to the LDR Char Pit for steak sandwiches, then have dessert at Abbott's Frozen Custard. We'll have plenty of time to lick custard, socialize, and recharge appetites for the last stop of the day: Nick Tahou's, home of the notorious Garbage Plate. From there, the bus returns to Buffalo.

Sunday morning, the bus will leave from the hotel at 10:30 for beef on weck at Schwabl's, where extra carvers will be on duty to make sure we all get moist, rosy-red beef sliced fresh off the roast. After Schwabl's, we head for Ted's and a sampling of just how great upstate New York wieners can be, especially when expertly cooked over charcoal, crowned with hot sauce, and accompanied by onion rings and Loganberry juice. From Ted's, we'll go to one of Buffalo's great ice cream / candy stores (to be determined) for a taste of the city's little-appreciated but unsurpassed gift for sweets, especially those enrobed in chocolate. After candy, we head to the Anchor Bar for the Buffalo wing party, after which the bus will return to the hotel.

We figure that events will conclude by early evening on Sunday, but if anyone needs to leave the tour early, it would be a fairly short cab ride from any of Sunday's featured restaurants to the Buffalo airport.

Tickets are available to Roadfood Insiders on June 16th at 12 PM EST, and to everyone else (you must be a Roadfood.com registered user) on June 18th at 12 PM EST. Act fast! Last year's event sold out in days.

Check the home page once tickets go on sale for purchasing instructions. All credit card transactions will be processed through PayPal.

The Rochester part sounds like a typical visit to my sister's.....

Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 11:44:37 (permalink)
Looks like a lot of good eating.

One thought, though.  Aren't the Bills are playing at home on Sunday?  That may have an impact on your travel time to Schwabl's.  I've gotten caught in post-game traffic before, so pre-game traffic may be worth keeping in mind
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 17:54:03 (permalink)
mr chips

I'm planning on being there. My only question is if i should fly in a couple days early to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and sample some of the roadfood delights in those places. I'm leaning to Cleveland or Akron so I can sample those delights, visit McKinley's birthplace in Niles and visit the lake In Erie, Pa or that big store in Sharon.

Mr. Chips,

If you decide on the Cleveland stop, there is a great seafood restaurant in the eastern suburbs:
Brennan's Fish House (440) 354-9785
102 River St
Grand River, OH 44045

http://www.brennansfishhouse.com/

Sorry that I have no more information; I visited it last year before I knew about the Roadfood web site and consequently was not taking food pictures (my younger, foolish days).

Of course there is always the option to spend more time in Buffalo; I'd be glad to show you and anyone else some other places.
joyce34
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 18:36:26 (permalink)
Excellent Buffalo choices no as to the pick for the ice cream/ candy stop think i would cast my vote for Aletheas tho I do think the chocolate at Whals is better but alas no ice cream there
Joyce
joyce34
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 18:41:46 (permalink)
joyce34

Excellent Buffalo choices no as to the pick for the ice cream/ candy stop think i would cast my vote for Aletheas tho I do think the chocolate at Whals is better but alas no ice cream there
Joyce

Don't know where that no came from - really think the cholice are excellent
Joyce
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 18:56:32 (permalink)
Not to be funny, but what are those times?  Are the Insider tickets on sale at noon June 16 or midnight between June 16 and the morning of June 17?  It depends on your definition of AM and PM, and noon and midnight are both on the dividing lines.  I have this vision of RF-ers poised over their computers, waiting to grab those precious tickets for a great event (OK, shameless regional boasting), and me coming in 12 hours late or 12 hours too soon.

Chronologically puzzled in Niagara County,

Rob
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/09 20:17:02 (permalink)
BT, 12pm est would be 12 noon.  12 am est would be midnight.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/10 07:32:55 (permalink)
billyboy

BT, 12pm est would be 12 noon.  12 am est would be midnight.

Thanks, Billyboy

Are you coming to this event?  Hope to see you there (or here actually).
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/10 07:35:38 (permalink)
Cosmos

Not sure I can do the whole ticket..is there a policy regarding hangers-on..? I might be able to join the group at a couple stops in Rochester

I was wondering something similar.  I can make Saturday but will miss most of Sunday - probably catching up with the group at Ted's and leaving before the Anchor Bar trip.  I assume the best step is to buy the ticket anyway - don't want to miss out on the Mt. Rushmore shirts or whatever they will look like.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/10 16:03:30 (permalink)
Not sure, I may have a theater commitment in NYC that might preclude my "shuffling off to Buffalo".  I hope I can do both.  Everything on this trip sounds, in the words of Peter Griffin, "freakin' sweet"!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/10 23:59:57 (permalink)
mr chips

If you decide on Pittsburgh, I would be happy to meet you for some meals.  Same most likely goes for Akron, too.

It goes without saying that cousin Johnny and I will be there.  We haven't missed one yet and aren't about to start now!  This sounds like some great eats.  

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/06/11 00:01:21
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6355
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/11 09:23:15 (permalink)
Some day my travels might work out and I would get to meet up with you all but that weekend I already know I will be in Pagosa Springs, CO toward the end of my month long out west tour.
ottergeek
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/14 19:34:43 (permalink)
I hope this event doesn't turn out like the Great American Food & Music Festival that Serious Eats put together...

It looks like people had a "Seriously" bad time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/06/the-fest-4-hours-of-the-best-intentions-gone.html
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/15 14:09:56 (permalink)
Roadfood Insiders - Here is your link to purchase tickets:

http://www.roadfood.com/insider/store/NewYorkEatingTour/
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/16 12:04:55 (permalink)
Yay -- I got my ticket! This will be my first Roadfood Eating Tour.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood.com Buffalo and Rochester Eating Tour 2009/06/16 12:33:52 (permalink)
Ivyhouse,

It appears that you are the first one.  I just bought mine and am looking forward to seeing all who can make it here.  It will be my first official tour as well and should be a great one with the group.

Rob
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1