Helpful ReplyRoadfood.com Forum Suggestions

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/16 22:28:33 (permalink)
How about "Roadtrip reports" or notes from the field or something. I notice people are not sure where to post their updates, and BLOGs (diaries or whatever you call it) when they are traveling.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/17 10:22:24 (permalink)
I agree Elsie. I would like regional forums with the "where should I eat" threads divided by those regions. As the discussion evolved from where someone ate to what someone ate, it could continue along those regional lines. Your freeway food topic, rather than being about a trip, was about an area of the country. With all the foods discussed, it could have been in several different forums. I'm just throwing out ideas, but as our little forum becomes BIG, the information becomes overwhelming. In addition, once a topic heads to page 2, it seems to decend into limbo. As fast as topics have been coming, it doesn't necessarily mean the topic has played out, only that so many were suggested in front of it that it moves downwards. And there's still no place to discuss soups and stews, one of my favorite topics, sniff. where do beef stew and chowder go? At least we could stick 'em in an area of the country and discuss them. I know these aren't answers, only more questions, but...
maybe someone has solutions.
Bill
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15241
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/17 11:16:52 (permalink)
Bill And E T ,
I think you're on the right track...Let's get Stephen back from his honeymoon and see if we can set up a structure for the addition (or replacing??) of forums.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/17 12:54:36 (permalink)
A lot of time and space is taken up with replys to the same questions asked over and over. i.e. Where to eat along I-95.

Couldn't a forum be set up that contains all the responses to that question and allows for new responses as we learn about new and better places and as old places become passe'?

Would it be possible to direct a question about the I-95 corridor, for instance, to an existing forum where many questions have probably already been answered? Like, could the "Where to Eat"? forum be subdivided into interstate corridors. or perhaps individual state or metropolitan areas. Your existing restaurant listing by State and type of food is great, but I think we need to have a more open forum that allows the members ideas and suggestions of places to eat be listed- separate from the Stern's listings.

As to paying for a trip planning service: I use Mapquest, but they don't know anything about the kind of food we are talking about- they steer you to the places that are paying to be mentioned on that site - fair enough, but not good enough.

I also use AAA, but, again their guides do not include the kind of places we are looking for to eat the kind of food we like - same problem as Mapquest- it's free, but inadequate (Well, I do pay AAA $125 per year for all the services they offer, and I consider it a good buy- except for the food items.)

Yes, I would consider paying an annual fee for trip planning service, or alternatively, a fee per use of such a service. I do not think I would like to see commercial sponsors supporting such a service on our roadfood site.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/17 13:27:23 (permalink)
What I keep seeing in my mind is being able to discuss food, regional specialities, rather than places, by region, and then tying it to the where do I eat section. When wandering jew proposed his baseball journey, he asked where to find Bierrocks. I grew up in Kansas and didn't know what he was talking about, even though it's a regional speciality of the great plains. That got me googleized and searching out the history, the why and how , and finally the where. It was neat. I just figure others go on quests for types of food, rather than places. Hidden places to stop for artichokes along Hwy 1, olives in the central valley of California. The first time my wife and I drove the pacific coast, we did a Best of Chowder tour, stopping all along the northwest coast, clear to Victoria B.C. in search of what we thought of as the best chowder. That's not quite the same same as asking for reccomendations along a route you're traveling for business/vacation. Don't know how to link the two together though. Any thoughts?
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/17 14:26:38 (permalink)
Everyone makes good points on this topic and after reading them, I wanted to ad my 2 cents (unless Al arrests me for commenting). What really has taken place is the evolution (or some may say regression) of an idea such as "The Forum." It literally has developed into a life form of its own, perhaps in a far different direction than some of the early folks have considered. And that is what blogging really is. Things just happen when you add more and more ingredients to this neat stew of "The Forum." Essentially, unless someone limits topics or direction, it will continue. My only complaint is a personal one, I can't devote the time to keep track of everything, with changing screens and topics, etc., and I am a relatively new commenter, although I've followed this for quite some time. On the converse, I don't think we would want to restrict the number of comments or people or ideas. It would be a monumental task for someone to keep all this under some form of control, and S. Rushmore would most likely agree that things are probably complicated more than he envisioned initially. But the internet has fostered this type of thing and with potentially millions of sources of comments, the complexity could increase exponentially. I've always believed in KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid, but it may have gone far beyond that. At any rate, I would be glad to participate in any dialogue to improve -if it's even necessary -something that I personally enjoy.
sandrad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/19 22:04:30 (permalink)
While on the road, I love to eat. I also enjoy taking cooking classes. What about a section on cooking classes on the road? Also, what wine do I drink with some of these road food suggestions...wine pairing with road food would be a fun.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15241
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/19 23:04:38 (permalink)
Since we are all putting our "druthers".. I agree that we are expanding faster that the current framework can handle the traffic. I suggest a couple of tweaks that might help focus things a bit better.
1. Keep the Roadfood Forum News for just that...stuff from the management to keep us informed and feedback to that info.
2. Alter the "Where do I eat..." section to put subsets of some form of regional question and recommendation by area..Southern, MidWest, New England...etc etc.
I would include roadtrip logs in this section also...Like WanderingJew's Baseball trip.
3. Keep the foodtype forums as they are , perhaps adding a couple that have been requested.
4. Move the MISC to the bottom of the whole list, and subdivide it into topic areas ie- Historical, related topics, food-tv, book reviews, obscene humor (for oneiron<G>) and others as needed.
5. Expand the "Recipes and Techniques" area to subsets of various cooking techniques and food areas.
6. Make the "Search" function as easy and visible as possible so that members can do a search for a topic or subset without roaming thru all the topics to find what they are looking for...(Use EBAY's Search Techniques as a model)...or something like it.
These are just my opinions. I am sure I have skipped over some important ones also. Please add or comment as you wish.
AL
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/19 23:27:18 (permalink)
I read this topic without having any definite ideas of my own in mind, but I have to say that the suggestions presented by The Mayor above seem to me to be among the most sensible. If implemented, they would help to clarify the topics while preserving ease of use and the wide range of interests. I'd like to finish this post by offering my thanks to all those who devote their time, thought and efforts toward making this website the place that it is. Best to all,

JL
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/20 00:40:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Maybe you print all and let the reader decide, but if you do that, you get confused on which one you like.

How about having each of the cooks submit their one signature dish--and have some alternates ready in case you ended up with 30 lasagna recipes...
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/20 06:25:04 (permalink)
As for duplication of questions about I-95 or whatever, I think the mayor is right about the Search feature being underutilized. Sometimes info ends up in unexpected forums and is best found by searching. As the forum archives grow, it will be used more and more. Maybe a "blank" next to the search feature to type in the request without having to go to a special screen would help.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/20 13:46:47 (permalink)
I think a boolean search is what's needed. If I was going to Tx & wanted ribs I could type TX in one field & ribs in the next & thereby find postings refering to this subject. Granted you might have to play around a bit like subsituting town names for the state but at present you'd have to put either Tx or Ribs both of which gives an ocean of posts to wade through.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/21 08:43:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

This may be an incredibly stupid idea (certainly wouldn't be my first), but I've noticed that there are MANY good cooks with many good recipes posted. If one were to publish a "Roadfood Members" cookbook, with proceeds going to support the cost of this website, does anyone think that would work?

I'm just throwing this out here, because I certainly don't know, but it seems to me that there's the talent here to pull that off.

this is a GREAT idea!!!! As a guy who in my youth was trained as a cook and loved to travel and eat i ended up cooking in alot of places that are much like the ones i look for when i come here before a trip,it supported my travellust for many years.I know that alot of the folks that search out places with real food--love not only to eat but cook and i am sure that many of the socalled "amatuer" cooks that hang out here could teach a few things to greasy spoon operators around the country--i for one would love to add this book to my cookbook collection and have a few things to submit. We would need a panel to sort through submissions and trial cook---gee what a tough job!!--but im sure the talent and skills are sitting around reading these pages every day. It sounds like a great way for us ALL to really be part of this wonderful place that i thank Jane and Michael for every day!
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/21 12:01:43 (permalink)
The single biggest improvement that could be made is to arrange the "where should I eats" into some logical geographical or route grouping. The next most useful would be to split Misc. up a bit, but I'm not entirely sure what subdivisions would make it more useful.

Eric, Who Usually Prefers City Grids To Subdivisions
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/24 12:57:35 (permalink)
While unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for Forum change or improvement just now, I do want to thank Mr. Mayor and ElsieT for their comments/info posted above re the Forum's Search feature. Quite honestly, I'd never notice or paid any attention to it until re-reading their posts this morn, tried it, and althought its slow (as is this entire website again this morn), I found it most useful, informative, and entertaining. I do wonder how many other users have, like me, ignored or at least underutilized this Forum feature. Perhaps this feature can be improved as Mr. Mayor, Elsie, and ocdreamr suggest, but maybe more publicity of the existing Search feature would be a good place to start.
pimple2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/26 21:41:51 (permalink)
Dear Mr.Rushmore,
Amazing coincidence: this very afternoon was mulling about the possibility of having a roadfood parallel to AAA triptix; now, learning of the 20K tag, would it make sense for roadfood to team up with say AAA; as often as they prepare their travel itineraries for individuals (Triptix) they could inquire if a roadfood itinerary was also desired; roadfood could have a 50 mile envelope, plus a 100mile envelope, like a sleeve over the planned triptix. a small fee could help roadfood realize its goals; given the volume of AAA, a few cents per itinerary might be sufficient.

Also, a nationwide map, with every place mentioned in these forums: click on a state, click on a name and it refers you to the sites.

Liked your write-up about Ithaca; friends tell me that Duff's of Buffalo is even better than Anchor Bar; why do we never hear of them? any thoughts? warmest regards pimple2
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/07/27 22:35:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pimple2

Dear Mr.Rushmore,
Amazing coincidence: this very afternoon was mulling about the possibility of having a roadfood parallel to AAA triptix; now, learning of the 20K tag, would it make sense for roadfood to team up with say AAA; as often as they prepare their travel itineraries for individuals (Triptix) they could inquire if a roadfood itinerary was also desired; roadfood could have a 50 mile envelope, plus a 100mile envelope, like a sleeve over the planned triptix. a small fee could help roadfood realize its goals; given the volume of AAA, a few cents per itinerary might be sufficient.

Also, a nationwide map, with every place mentioned in these forums: click on a state, click on a name and it refers you to the sites.

Liked your write-up about Ithaca; friends tell me that Duff's of Buffalo is even better than Anchor Bar; why do we never hear of them? any thoughts? warmest regards pimple2

Keep your eyes posted on Tuesday about an idea that I have that is even better then triptix. It involves Microsoft Streets and Trips.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/09/07 11:19:21 (permalink)
now that the servers are supercharged and rollin', any chance of adding my pet would be expansion, soup, stews, and chowders to the chili category(all liquids), and expanding-refining the where do I eat section-dividing into regions, and adding the where I ate section- as previously discussed? I find I've been waiting in anticipation for all these travelers to get back from their trips just so I can hear about them. Some of our threads, over the course of several pages, turn into mini-books traveling from point A to point ? with many stops in between. I really enjoy them when they take on a life of their own.

bill
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/09/07 11:42:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

How about "Roadtrip reports" or notes from the field or something. I notice people are not sure where to post their updates, and BLOGs (diaries or whatever you call it) when they are traveling.
That's a great idea and is something I have already developed but is limited to the Roadfood team at the moment. In a couple of months we hope to create a special section for it on the site.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5068
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2008/12/23 14:09:04 (permalink)
Ok, I have a question. What does the "medal" icon mean? It's to the left of my topic post on the forum navigation page.
It looks like a purple heart. Have I been wounded and didn't realize it?
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2008/12/23 22:18:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Nice medal Twinwillow.

When I hover over it with my cursor it says"helpful  answer received"
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2008/12/23 22:36:31 (permalink)
Twinwillow

Ok, I have a question. What does the "medal" icon mean? It's to the left of my topic post on the forum navigation page.

As someone mentioned, it means a helpful post was made somewhere in the thread...not necessarily that the thread itself was helpful.  
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2008/12/23 22:40:23 (permalink)
Tony Bad

Twinwillow

As someone mentioned, it means a helpful post was made somewhere in the thread...not necessarily that the thread itself was helpful.

Hey now! This is a seminal RF thread.
The first time Stephen asked us what we thought

post edited by bill voss - 2008/12/23 22:41:56
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1