Helpful ReplyRoadfood.com Forum Suggestions

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
2003/03/23 20:29:40 (permalink)

Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions

Since the launching of the web site the new forums we created has averaged 12x more volume than the other version! Thank you everyone for your contributions.

Are there any additional forum categories that should be created? I was thinking having one for recipes, or maybe special foodie events (like upcoming Jazz Fest). Share your comments here.
RoyHarv
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/23 21:15:20 (permalink)
In general, I think that having too many topics was one of the problems of the prior version of the board. And I have seen many other boards that ended up suffering from having too many different topics. That doesn't mean not to create any - but I suggest you think hard about each one first.
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/24 00:07:24 (permalink)
Brewpubs and taverns. I'm a beer nut even more than I am a roadfood nut, and I belong to a few beer-related sites, some of which offer the chance to rate/review brewpubs and "beer bars"; but as these sites are primarily drinking-oriented the food often gets short shrift. I'd love a forum here for discussing brewpubs from a viewpoint that is primarily highlightin the food (though the beer should not be ignored either!). Too many brewpubs are all too bland and similar in their "pub grub" menus, so finding ones with real character in their menus is a real treat!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/24 05:16:58 (permalink)
The new web site is much more fun and interactive than the prior one. I appreciate the different forums and because I am a very frequent flyer and traveler, I find them of particular value not only to myself but to the restaurants that are mentioned. Each week I travel, I look to the site to provide me with reviews. In addition, the forum now allows me to inquire about where I am going and in each case, I get response to resturants that your readers have visited. I certainly appreciate the efforts of the Roadfood group. I also appreciate the fact that you have no advertisments. Quite frankly, I do not know how you do it, but thanks,

Paul E. Smith
Sundancer7@AOL.com
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/24 17:02:16 (permalink)
How about a WORST roadfood topic? To let each other know which places to avoid?
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/25 10:06:58 (permalink)
Special food events would be great. New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, Memphis in May, Kansas City BBQ Competition, etc.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/03/30 17:08:57 (permalink)
Comparing notes from the various topics on these message boards with the more recent Roadfood Books that have seemed to me to include more 'Upscale' establishments, or speciality shops when compared to the earlier editions that were heavy on the BBQ and Seafood places. I wondered if I was 'out of sync' or trying to preserve, in my own mind, the decades of wanderlust I have enjoyed using the early books as a guide.
BUT, that appears not to be the case. While many of the older joints are now defunct, most appear to be continuing the traditions that put them on the map in the first place. This website has reinforced that BigTime!! If you scan the 'hits' on any given topic you will see that the basic's of Hot Dogs and Beer are, by far, the largest single attention getters on the boards.
If we could add together the hits on the BBQ topics that are spread all over the place, It would probably equal the Dogs and Brew.
So you guys go ahead and write-up the speciality ice cream places etc etc, they do make for a nice variation when on the road for a week or more, but we can see where the 'Meat' of the whole Roadfood Message is and You are doing a splendid job of getting those reviews out to us.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1160
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/05 22:01:01 (permalink)
Since it IS called Roadfood, is there, could there be, or has there ever been, a section about diners?

Lovie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/22 23:30:04 (permalink)
Since the genre is Roadfood why not have a topic that includes the food at Drive-In movie theatres. I really enjoy the drive-in experience and have often chosen the movie to see not by the quality of the film but who makes the best chow. We even went to see the movie American Pie 2 when we hadn't even seen the first one because the experience of sitting in the car eating a hand made pizza under the stars on a hot summer's eve was too much fun to resist. At the theatre we go to for the pizza one of the best parts is when the movie gets going and the oven gets cooking they call out your pizza number right during the movie. Sometimes with some very amuzing timing. Each time I hear a number being called I have to gigle and then wonder what did number 17 get on their pie. We have driven some very long distances and taken some very great culinary chances to experience the "Passion Pits" of North America.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/24 14:58:48 (permalink)
MICROBREWS & BREWPUBS.. I think this is a bastion of american originality and regionalism. There seem to be 3 categories: microbrewers, such as boulevard in KC, whose products are served locally in lots of roadfood establishments; microbrewers with pubs, ala Bridgeport or McMenimin's around Portland; and brewpubs or microbreweries W/ food whose product is only available on premise, such as one I long for, Free State Brewery
in Lawrence Ks http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/icon_smile_tongue.gif. What do you roadfooders think? Beer seems a roadfood while wine seems to violate our secret
handshake pact. If such a forum existed I could extol the virtues of Lagunitias Brewing from Marin County ca.http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/icon_smile_approve.gif, or Mendicino
Red Tail Ale, from the county of the same name.http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/icon_smile_clown.gif Rogue Ales are one of our favorites here in Oregon, sadly only brewed in Newport after the flood of '97 wiped out the Ashland venue. And I have to give a plug to Caldera in Ashland,
whose products are available in the rogue valley on Tap. they've won several medals at festivals, but production is limited. what do you guys and gals think?http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/icon_smile_question.gif
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/24 15:00:42 (permalink)
obviously I haven't learned the secret to the smile thing. sorry
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/24 16:39:45 (permalink)
Love the way the site works. However I can see a time when there will be too many topics to keep track of. Is there are a time limit or last time used limit sort of thing?
Lovie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/27 22:14:45 (permalink)
Yay!!!! A spell check feature!!! Thank you!

I recently replied to a subscriber about roadfood options in the Canadian Maritimes, as I used to live there. What about a topic for Canadian roadfood?! There is certainly some very good eating along Canadian hyways and byways. There are regional delicacies such as Seal Pie, Bannick, Poutine, Tortier, Moose burgers, Beaver Tails and Saskatoon berry Pie. I wonder if the Sterns have done any investigating in the Northerly direction?

Even with the spell check I'm not perfect, nor will I ever be.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/30 12:20:48 (permalink)
Stephen,

Have you ever thought of trying to add a trip planning feature? Linked with map service, it could give reviewed restaurant within a certain distance from the route. I know it would require a lot of additional coding, but would be something nearly all of us would use.

Many of us own the Stern's books, subscribe to Gourmet for the only good thing left in the magazine -- the Sterns, etc... Even if the functionality came at a small cost, I'm sure many of us would pay to use it.

The upgrades to the site have been terrific so far. Keep up the good work.

Will
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/30 12:25:52 (permalink)
Yes, we have considered a trip planning feature, but it is prohibitively expensive to implement. We need $20K a year to cover costs. I have my pulse on this item, and as soon as it becomes cost-effective we will have it.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/04/30 14:30:39 (permalink)
Well -- You've got your first paying customer when it arrives...
vinelady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/06 16:29:58 (permalink)
I would like to see a section on Vegetarian Foods etc.
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/07 13:21:25 (permalink)
I've noticed that the time function on the "Active Topics" is set to Eastern time. Is there any way that we can have it translated to Central, Mountain, and Pacific time?

If not, perhaps ditching the 24 hour clock and adding AM or PM would help those of us that haven't served in the military.

-Yumbo
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/07 13:23:33 (permalink)
I should also add that I love the site redesign. It's probably my most visited website. Kudos and much thanks to Stephen!

-Yumbo
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/09 10:50:23 (permalink)
2 categories are discussed in other forums enough to deserve
their own section. Soups and stews are something I search out in
roadfoodland. Maybe the chili section could be expanded to chili, soups, and stews.
The other subject that seems lost is vegetables. Do any of you go to places FOR the vegetables?
I think it's supposed to be contained in side orders, but it seems to get buried.
what does the forum think?
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/10 05:14:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

2 categories are discussed in other forums enough to deserve
their own section. Soups and stews are something I search out in
roadfoodland. Maybe the chili section could be expanded to chili, soups, and stews.
The other subject that seems lost is vegetables. Do any of you go to places FOR the vegetables?
I think it's supposed to be contained in side orders, but it seems to get buried.
what does the forum think?

when you say "vegetables" do you mean like broccoli and cauliflower or southern vegetables like macaroni/cheese and jello salads?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/10 10:43:18 (permalink)
I was thinking more along the lines of 100% real vegetables, although
the idea of macaroni & cheese and jello being included harkens back to reagan, I guess. Yes, I was wondering whether people go to certain places for the vegetables. I also noticed the mayor posting about Castroville and the drive down Hwy 1. Frequent thoughts about artichokes, and also mentions of Stroud's green beans, prompted me to hatch this plan.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/10 11:33:36 (permalink)
Bill and Jennifer,
Maybe the topic should be geographic in orientation? We don't look to California for the lead in the Beef/Pork/Lamb places, but for some of the more exotic veggies it is the best(or the only) place to get them. Castroville is alone in the USA as far as I know!! Not an hour away is Gilroy, the King of the Garlic Country. Jen, You're in the heart of the raisin homestead and the Nut Belt (no pun...) of the Valley. Olives are there too. We made a habit out of visiting the food festivals in CA and had a lot of fun on those 'In-State' roadtrips.
It always amazed me to watch our Asian visitors carrying 25 lb. bags of rice for carry-on luggage at LAX. I asked a friend one day about that, and found that California rice is higher quality, and 25% of the price of the rice available in Japan in the grocery.
I may have moved away, but until the housing developments choke the area to death, I recognize that California has some of the best and certainly the most unique veggie products grown anywhere.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/10 12:01:59 (permalink)
actually mayor, I posted a reply to your artichoke post, but It was lost in the middle of the (I think) lobster roll thread. That's when I realized there's really no place for vegetables.
Cubs Fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/28 12:55:31 (permalink)
What I've tried to do with any of my entries is copy and paste it into forum where is fits and then I delete my entry previously posted as a separate topic. However, this is dependent on my seeing a more appropriate forum while browsing. But I will try to look before I leap, regarding creating new topics. This would particulary useful when someone posts a notice about suggestions for where to eat in particular city or route. Sometimes a consensus of where to eat can be derived from the various postings.

I've only started making postings this month. I'm sure experienced posters try to find an appropriate forum before posting a new one.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/05/30 01:59:50 (permalink)
I agree with the mayor! In addition to "where should I Eat?" which is great, regional forums would be so helpful.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/06/27 19:58:48 (permalink)
This may be an incredibly stupid idea (certainly wouldn't be my first), but I've noticed that there are MANY good cooks with many good recipes posted. If one were to publish a "Roadfood Members" cookbook, with proceeds going to support the cost of this website, does anyone think that would work?

I'm just throwing this out here, because I certainly don't know, but it seems to me that there's the talent here to pull that off.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/06/27 21:00:32 (permalink)
Bushie, I agree, but the problem I see is how do you distinguish what is to be published as everything I have seen at this point is wonderful.

I think that the recipe book would be so large that no one would have the time to read.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/06/28 19:44:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Bushie, I agree, but the problem I see is how do you distinguish what is to be published as everything I have seen at this point is wonderful.

I think that the recipe book would be so large that no one would have the time to read.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundance, I was hoping we could get YOU to edit it, so we'd have someone to yell at if it doesn't turn out right.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Roadfood.com Forum Suggestions 2003/06/28 20:22:26 (permalink)
Bushie, I do not yell as it takes too much energy. Your thoughts were excellent. My only point is that after reading thousands of post on this forum, how do you figure out what is the best? I have read how to do potato sald, how to do slaw, how to do BBQ, how to do this and how to do that. All of it is good, but when you do a cook book or recipe book, how do you get down to a common denominator?

Maybe you print all and let the reader decide, but if you do that, you get confused on which one you like.

I started a thread on potato salad and there were so many excellent post, I sorta got confused.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1