The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roadfood.com Update

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 111
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 1:23 AM (permalink)
I have lots of updates to share with you.
  • New Roadfood logo - We were never thrilled with the last one because it was a little difficult to read the text and it always seemed a bit contorted.  The new one is much easier on the eyes, scales better, and you may even notice it is in shape of a license plate.
  • New Site layout/theme - To reflect new logo and, once again, easier on the eyes.  I actually retained a professional graphic designer for the first time ever.
  • Home page searches - You can now search restaurants, forums and recipes directly from the home page
  • Proximity searches - You can now type in a city/state and it will show you the 30 closest Roadfood eateries
  • New ratings for restaurants - We whacked the "Atmosphere" rating and placed greater emphasis on individual food items.  Sometime over the weekend everyone will be able to rate food items.
  • Single Sign-on support - You don't need to log on/off to BOTH the forum and the core part of the site
  • Better support for lower resolutions on forums.
  • Lots of other little UI (User Interface) enhancements that you might pick up on.
To get the best experience, you should clear your browser cache by hitting ctrl+f5.

I certainly think the new layout is a major improvement, and I hope you share in the enthusiasm.

<message edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. on Fri, 01/16/09 1:53 AM>

Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
    Re:Is this thing on? Fri, 01/16/09 1:24 AM (permalink)
    Got it...

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
      Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 1:42 AM (permalink)
       I like it!!!!!

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
        Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 2:38 AM (permalink)
        Sweet! Thanks Steve and everyone involved.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
          Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 3:20 AM (permalink)
           Sorry, i posted it's own thread over on OT, but i see a HUGE improvement! Looks great now, better than ever! Thanks Stephen!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
            Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 3:22 AM (permalink)

Looks great. I will now stop complaining about the unused space between the Rest. Search and the weekly poll.

===Proximity searches
            - You can now type in a city/state and it will show you the 30 closest Roadfood eateries===

In CT. I can do over 30 within 20 miles.

mark
            <message edited by doggydaddy on Fri, 01/16/09 3:24 AM>

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
              Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:16 AM (permalink)
              One complaint-I had to log on today-Is this going to be the policy or only on an initial visit following the change?

Sundancer7

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:22 AM (permalink)
                MilwFoodlovers

One complaint-I had to log on today-Is this going to be the policy or only on an initial visit following the change?

My guess is it is a one time thing.  I had to do the same thing with this update and the other one.

The new look is a lot easier to look at.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:23 AM (permalink)
                  It's a great-looking format! 

When does the Roadfood Store open so we can buy our caps, t-shirts and coffee mugs with the new logo?

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                    Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:44 AM (permalink)
                    Hold on while I get my sunglasses!... Looks good.  Like improvements.

buffetbuster

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:56 AM (permalink)
                      It looks great Stephen.....thanks!

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
                        Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:06 AM (permalink)
                        This looks awesome...great job Stephen and everyone else involved!!!

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                          Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:15 AM (permalink)
                          I like this format a lot better.  The white background helps tremendously.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:24 AM (permalink)
                            So far so good-i like it! The only question I have is that I dont see where to click on to return to the home page...

Sundancer7

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:33 AM (permalink)
                              annpeeples

So far so good-i like it! The only question I have is that I dont see where to click on to return to the home page...

I had the same issue and I was advised by Rib Rater to click on the logo.  It works.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:34 AM (permalink)
                                annpeeples

you can click on the (license plate) logo  once more.

<message edited by bill voss on Fri, 01/16/09 8:35 AM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:38 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanks guys-you saved me hours of figuring it out....

MiamiDon

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                    Stephen:

No more logbook entries on the home page?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                      MiamiDon

Stephen:

No more logbook entries on the home page?

It's coming - I want things to stabilize before adding.  You will probably see something next week.

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                        I like the new look....

Is there any way the home page can mimic the Forum pages?  For instance, the Colors and Header of the page.

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                          braunsteinm

I like the new look....

Is there any way the home page can mimic the Forum pages?  For instance, the Colors and Header of the page.

Well!! That was strange.  Either there was something wrong with my browser, or you just addressed my request.  When I first logged on to Roadfood today, the home page was all white....

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 179
                                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                            Wow, just WOW !

Thanks for all your hard work.

What are the 'picture frames' on the left for?

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
                                              Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                              Stephen Rushmore Jr.

• New Roadfood logo - We were never thrilled with the last one because it was a little difficult to read the text and it always seemed a bit contorted.  The new one is much easier on the eyes, scales better, and you may even notice it is in shape of a license plate.

Someone needs to upload the new logo onto the Roadfood page on Facebook!

Tony Bad

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                Lexi

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Not sure if that is an "official sanctioned" roadfood site. You may want to check with Stephen before using the roadfood logo over there.

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
                                                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                  Congratulations, the site looks great.  Like the color coordination, even down to the member names; the new logo really pops.  And the addition of the home page searches is a terrific idea.  I have worked on web applications with a user interface architect and I know how challenging it can be -- nice job.

And of course, some feedback (!):

1. The frames in the Author column make me think that posters  can include an image.  Not a bad idea, but the frames take up a list of horizontal space and when they are empty, it makes each post unnecessarily long -- i.e., fewer posts per page. 

Can the frames be optional and appear only if the user/poster opts in their profile to use it?  Also, even if the user opts in, maybe they should not appear unless there is an image posted.

2. I notice in the top right corner I am welcomed back when I sign in (thank you!).  I am also welcomed in the Forum Navigation bar (again, thank you!). 

No need to welcome me twice, though, once is enough.  Take the welcome out of the Forum Nav bar and you get back 2-3 lines.

3. Nit picky, but you can also get back 1-2 lines of blank space between the top of the Forum Nav bar and the bottom of the logo.

4. There seems to be a lot of blank space at the end of each post.  If that is a function of the site and not the poster, the blank space at the end of each post could be reduced by several lines without sacrificing the open look and feel of the site, and again contribute to enabling more posts per page.

Thanks for your hard work, it will help me enjoy the Roadfood site even more.
                                                  <message edited by Ivyhouse on Fri, 01/16/09 10:31 AM>

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                                    • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                    Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                     Oh, also I love the color scheme! How did you choose the "caramel" ("butterscotch")? Good on the eyes.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                                                      • Location: Saint Charles, MO
                                                      Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                                      Excellent.  Nice work.  I enjoy the new layout and color scheme, as well as the improved functionality.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
                                                        Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                                        annpeeples

I clicked on the Logo, top left-  It did the trick.

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
                                                          • Location: Chappaqua, NY
                                                          Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                                          Tony Bad

Lexi

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Not sure if that is an "official sanctioned" roadfood site. You may want to check with Stephen before using the roadfood logo over there.

I didn't create the Facebook page - it was there and I just joined it.  That's why I am leaving it up to the powers that be to make the change.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
                                                            • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                                            Had a problem with Quick Searches -Find a Restaurant-
                                                            When I tried to Search Phoenix AZ, as soon as I typed a letter or 2, other city names would populate the field and wouldn't let me get Phoenix to come up.

Otherwise, I think the new, more user friendly, web site is terrific and a great improvement THANX!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 111

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com