Roadside Peek Website

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3948
2003/08/13 14:53:47 (permalink)

Roadside Peek Website

I found this to be an incredibly interesting website with it's huge collection of old signs, info about old diners, motels etc. It has sections covering the entire country as well as a special section on Route 66. Check it out!

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/index.htm

7 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 16:22:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

I found this to be an incredibly interesting website with it's huge collection of old signs, info about old diners, motels etc. It has sections covering the entire country as well as a special section on Route 66. Check it out!

Great site, Ed! Thanks. I love old landmarks, and I'm a nut about the "Mother Road". I've traveled various sections of it, but someday I want to start at Grant Park in Chicago and end up in Santa Monica, all in one trip!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 17:01:51 (permalink)
    Great website!

I really, really miss the drive-in theatres. I think my teens are missing out on a lot of the fun we used to have "at the show".

The Sky-Vue Drive-In Theatre is still alive and well in Lamesa, Tx!
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 17:11:26 (permalink)
    Our newspaper just ran an article this week on a drive-in located in Orefield, PA. It's called Shankweiler's, and it's been there since 1934. I'd love to take my kids sometime, but it's about 60 miles from the Ben Franklin Bridge, the span which links south Jersey with Philadelphia. From where we live, it's probably a little too far for an evening excursion (75 miles). Sounds interesting, though...

As a point of information, the world's first drive-in was opened in Pennsauken, NJ, by Richard Hollingshead on June 6, 1933.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 19:42:39 (permalink)
    Drive Ins........Pop Corn, Hot Dogs, and Hamburgers, with the "fixins bar" was my first time getting to decide alone what I wanted on my Hot Dog. My Dad just let me do it all by myself. I remember the movie "Hard Days Night" with the Beatles. First Night out with Dad by myself. I can't remember the year but, I was born in 1960. So I was still a little guy. What a great memory. I have taken my Family to the Drive In, but I don't know of one left in the Los Angeles area anymore. They are all Swap Meets Now!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 19:53:37 (permalink)
    Perhaps the joys of the drive in theatre will never be known or enjoyed by the younger generation. It was more than the ambience of the evening, the popcorn, the cold beverages (your choice), the hot dogs. It was the joy of the excitement after the first 15 minutes of the show beginning with putting your arm around your girl friend, then moving her a bit closer and then . Yes it did happen more than once. Not from me you understand, but many times I glanced over to the next door car, noticed the windows fogged up which I was certain was due to the bad heater in the car until I noticed the shock absorbers were weak and detecting a mild earthquake in the area due to the ancient automobile moving violently around. Never did understand why

Ah! the joys of sneaking your friends in via the trunk

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 20:31:32 (permalink)
    Yup, I still love going to the drive-in too! I just wish my local d-i (Fayetteville, AR) had decent food. And they actually have security people there now -- never saw that before. So now you have to hide your beer.

I heard the one in Mendon, Mass actually has good food, and quite a big menu.

The one in Fairlee Vermont is cool -- it's next to the Fairlee Motel -- the rooms all have picture windows facing the movie screen, and there are speakers in all the rooms so that you get to watch 2 free movies in air-conditioned comfort when staying at the motel. And you get to watch what the people in the cars are doing.

Remember buying those green mosquito coils to burn on the dashboard?

This website is cool -- http://www.driveintheater.com/index.htm
    You can look up the closest drive-in to where you live, and there are links to the d-i's websites.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Roadside Peek Website 2003/08/13 21:44:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NancyPeter

Our newspaper just ran an article this week on a drive-in located in Orefield, PA. It's called Shankweiler's, and it's been there since 1934. I'd love to take my kids sometime, but it's about 60 miles from the Ben Franklin Bridge, the span which links south Jersey with Philadelphia. From where we live, it's probably a little too far for an evening excursion (75 miles). Sounds interesting, though...

Well, the good news is that's my village's big (and only) claim to fame. Shankweiler's is the oldest continuously operating drive in theater in the U.S. (only in summer, though). They still have the playground in front of the screen to get the kids tired out before the movie starts, the audio boxes on poles that you hook onto your half-opened window or just turn up if you're sitting in your lawn chair next to your car, double-feature first run movies, and a snack bar that would be more orgasm-inducing to true roadfooders than the activities of the local teens in the last couple of rows.

The bad news is that unless you go at least an hour and a half before the first film starts, it will be sold out. Classic car clubs all over the Middle Atlantic states converge on weekends to experience the flavor of an old time drive in movie, complete with dancing soft drink cups luring them to the snack bar at intermission. So locals have to go during weeknights.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1