The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
Foodosaurus

Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 2:38 PM (permalink)

While driving around for work over the past week, I had noticed a food truck a few blocks from where I work.  I decided to try it out for lunch.

Blanche's Roadside Grill.  www.blanchesbakedbeans.com

Blanche, was the owner's grandmother.  The truck is named after her and so are the Baked Beans that they serve.  It is her recipe, which is over 100 years old.  I'm told they are "loaded with meat." Unfortunately for me, they sold out before lunch today!

I talked to them for a few minutes, and asked if I could take some pictures to put on Roadfood.  They had heard of the site, and are big fans.  They suggested I try either the Chicken Parmigiana Grinder or the Meatball Grinder, and told me they were both home made.  They prep the cutlets in advance, but they don't fry them for the sandwiches until they are ordered.  I decided to try the Meatball with Provalone, Peppers, and Onions.

This was a fantastic sandwich.  The peppers and onions tasted like they had been marinated and grilled.  The roll was perfect; slightly toasted, very fresh, and sopped up the sauce perfectly.

Here is a picture of the owner and her daughter.  Her husband was behind the glass doing the cooking.

I wish them the best of luck.  I will certainly be back soon to try the Baked Beans, Chicken Parm, and Breakfast!

buffetbuster

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 2:52 PM (permalink)
    I give the place a thumbs up just for the name Blanche's Baked Beans!  And how about the likeness between mother and daughter?

Thanks for the nice report and photos!  Let us know how the baked beans are when you try them.
    <message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 07/14/09 4:01 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17796
      Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 3:01 PM (permalink)
      Now that's the first thing I've seen from Abercrombie since they stopped selling hunting and fishing stuff that I found interesting.

A husband nearby, you say?

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
        Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 3:02 PM (permalink)
        Now now Mr Hoffman

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 3:37 PM (permalink)
          Hey, I still work.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
            Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 3:41 PM (permalink)
            I have to admit, even being a female I noticed the shirt before the face, I mean, gosh.  I'm jealous that's ALL!. Sandwich looks great.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 7:44 PM (permalink)
              yeah, really nice shirt!
              F aka B, whereabouts are they parked?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 7:57 PM (permalink)
                MH, Yes that PHOTO generated some interest on my part as well, But I don't remember "WHY?"

Nice to find those little treasures (the food, guys!).  The sandwich looks great! I haven't heard the name "Blanche" for many years
                <message edited by mayor al on Tue, 07/14/09 8:04 PM>

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                  Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 8:39 PM (permalink)
                  Think Marlon (Stanley)

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                    Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 8:41 PM (permalink)
                    They are working and it appears they are doing well. 

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Tue, 07/14/09 8:48 PM (permalink)

They are parked about a half mile off the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, CT.  Just past the famous Olympia Diner.

Red Sox Fan

• Total Posts: 1
                        Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Wed, 07/15/09 2:26 PM (permalink)
                        Great food, great service.... 'nuff said. Well, there is more to be said, but I'm busy eating my chicken tenders.

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                          Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 10:34 AM (permalink)
                          Is there some "legendary" or "classic" photo page on Roadfood where we could post that picture...of the sandwich, of course?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
                            You all are cracking me up...when I saw the pictures of those two women, I honestly did think how good looking they are.

MiamiDon

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 12:07 PM (permalink)
                              Wow.

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 12:32 PM (permalink)

I stopped by today to see if they had read my trip report, and they had it up in the window.  I was so proud.  They did omit the last picture though....  They didn't seem TOO offended by any of your comments.

I got a chance to sample the baked beans, which were stupendous.  There was almost as much meat as there was beans.  I will definitely be ordering those very soon.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                  Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Uh oh. Guess we should watch what we say from now on! Never know when a review will go public. REAL public. :)

buffetbuster

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                    Foodosaurus

I got a chance to sample the baked beans, which were stupendous.  There was almost as much meat as there was beans.  I will definitely be ordering those very soon.
                                    You didn't happen to take a picture of the beans did you?

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                      buffetbuster

Foodosaurus

I only had a sample size.  I will be eating there again soon.  Ill add pictures of the other food I get there.

I'm planning on having a chicken parm next time.  Maybe after that I'll get an egg sandwich and some beans.

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                                        Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                        I wish they had a food truck like that around here...........

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Yeah, sharing reviews or trip reports from this site with the various places we stop is not only fun, but helps build a lasting relationship with the foodstop staff.  Tomorrow we will stop at Freddies Pizza/Deli in Cicero IL on our way up to Milwaukee. I phoned in an order for two of their great Calzone loaves to be ready to go when we stop in for lunch. The owner remembered me from our RF visit in Nov 2007, mainly because of the emailed link to the coverage of the group's great lunch at Freddies

I am packing a few photos we took at 3 Brothers Serbian Restaurant during that same trip. I plan to give them to the Owners at 3 Brothers. I have a couple of him with some of his family and customers from the night we were there...I think he will appreciate the memories from them.
                                            Anyway, I think sharing our reports and reviews with the venders is a good thing to do.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Thu, 07/16/09 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                            Foodosaurus

buffetbuster

Foodosaurus

I only had a sample size.  I will be eating there again soon.  Ill add pictures of the other food I get there.

I'm planning on having a chicken parm next time.  Maybe after that I'll get an egg sandwich and some beans.

Pictures of the food? They have food, too?

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                              Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Fri, 07/17/09 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                              Michael, I like your choice of stops.

So which is the mother and which is the daughter?  They both look so young!

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Fri, 07/17/09 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                                Lol, Mr.Hoffman.

Foodosaurus

Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Fri, 07/17/09 1:22 PM (permalink)

The mother, Roberta is on the left.  Their daughter, Brittany is on the right.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 900
                                                    Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Fri, 07/17/09 2:55 PM (permalink)

I have eaten from many a food truck (aka roach coach) in Philly but I have never seen one that was so clean inside, or perhaps it is brand new?

MY NAME IS

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Sat, 07/18/09 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                                      WOW THOSE ARE 2 GORG. GIRLS I PARTICULARY LIKE THE BLONDE:] I'D EAT THERE ANYDAY THE MEATBALL GRINDER LOOKS AMAZING!!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                        • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Sat, 07/18/09 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                        annpeeples

You all are cracking me up...when I saw the pictures of those two women, I honestly did think how good looking they are.

Now I KNOW I'm officially old. When I saw that photo, the first thing I noticed was how clean the stainless steel looked.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Sat, 07/18/09 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          Lol, Poverty Pete!!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Roadside Roadfooding on my Lunch Break Sat, 07/18/09 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            There's stainless steel?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com