Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
salembrewer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2003/03/02 12:06:18 (permalink)

Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style

OK folks, Massachusetts is not known for BBQ, but we do have a regional sandwich to be proud of...the North Shore beef with sauce and mayo. Rare, fresh,thin-sliced top or steamship round piled high on a butter-grilled bun, and slathered with mayo and sweet, tangy "BBQ" sauce. Some people like 'em "three way" (sauce, mayo, american cheese) and some places will offer onion, horseradish, mustard. Harrison's in North Andover (used to be a Riley's in Lawrence , MA back in the 70's and 80's), the one I grew up with, has a "C.O.W." (Cheese-Onion-Works). For me, however, there is only one variation;EXTRA SAUCE, EXTRA MAYO, biggest they offer, preferably on an onion roll. In the Salem area try King's on North St., Supreme's in Danvers square, of course there is always Kelly's original since 1950 on Revere Beach. They are everywhere in the North Shore but hardly anywhere else, although they are similar to "pit beef" in Baltimore, MD area.

34 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/03/04 05:10:16 (permalink)
    ... and similar to Italian beef of Chicago, and more distantly similar to beef on weck in Buffalo, and maybe even some versions of hot beef in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Someone must write a definitive guide to American beef sandwiches.
    salembrewer
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/03/07 22:30:47 (permalink)
    The American Beef Sandwich Guide...I like that. Has anyone had a Taylor Maid-Rite "loose beef" sandwich from Iowa? I haven't and I just want to say, "they look a little weird".
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/03 18:48:11 (permalink)
    Salembrewer, if you're ever south of Boston, go to Mur-Mac's Roast Beef on Pearl Street (Route 138) in Stoughton. The sandwiches are just as you describe -- with the onion roll toasted, so the mayo and everything is all messy and drippy -- mmmm! And the special comes with a soda, fries, and an ice cream sandwich.

Aww, thanks -- now I'm homesick.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/03 19:35:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

... and similar to Italian beef of Chicago, and more distantly similar to beef on weck in Buffalo, and maybe even some versions of hot beef in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Someone must write a definitive guide to American beef sandwiches.
    I think you just nominated yourself Michael When is the book coming?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/03 19:41:52 (permalink)
    Hey SalemBrewer,
    Is Putnam's Pantry still in Operation in Danvers? We used to love to stop in there after a McIntyre's clam and onion ring stop in Rowley.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/04 09:49:42 (permalink)
    A loose meat is similiar to what I grew up calling a sloppy joe except there isn't a sauce, just meat juice or dry. Its basically hamburger meat "loose"!
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/30 01:17:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salembrewer

The American Beef Sandwich Guide...I like that. Has anyone had a Taylor Maid-Rite "loose beef" sandwich from Iowa? I haven't and I just want to say, "they look a little weird".

I ate at a Maid-Rite store in Newton, Iowa, last year.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/30 03:29:57 (permalink)
    A client took me to the Maid Rite in Rock Island, IL last year. The sandwich was OK, but a little messy. It seemed they had plenty of customers, but I did not find them so good that I would go back.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/06/30 04:57:45 (permalink)
    SWEET HOME CHICAGO...

I was looking for a good North Shore beef sandwich picture and couldn't find one, but I did find this souvenir of Chicago's Mr. Beef:

foodguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/07/16 11:00:43 (permalink)
    How come when i went too Kellys in Revere and i asked the guy of they put gravy on the sandwhich, he had no idea what i was talking about. He says gravy, huh?

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
    ladyjay
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/08/02 17:14:32 (permalink)
    ladyjay
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/08/02 17:24:08 (permalink)
    Does anyone know where you can buy the barbeque sauce that Harrison's in North Andover uses?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6799
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/08/04 01:47:20 (permalink)
    I unfortunately used to live not far from Kelly's on Revere Beach, oh great location, but too crazy in the summertime. Their sandwich is good, not great, but there's another place on Rt. 1A in North Beverly by the railroad tracks, cannot remember the name and they had an awesome roast beef sandwich on onion roll, nice and messy. Salembrewer, have you ever been to the Black Cow Tap & Grill in Hamilton (or Newburyport)? I was the original chef that opened Hamilton.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/08/05 07:34:06 (permalink)
    For the best Mass. roast beef (MUCH better than Kelly') try Nick's Roast Beef on Rt 1a in N Beverly. Skip the mayo, get a large on an oinion roll with their special sauce. Onion rings are good too. Up the road a bit is The Mariner that has good seafood, but also a tasty and different Mass style cheese steak sandwich. I live in Central Mass now, but travel to NorthShore just to eat at these places, they have not changed in the last 25 years!

Enjoy!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/08/05 11:41:19 (permalink)
    Roast Beef Sandwiches are a Massachusetts item, but not just on the north shore.
    Lordi's on Rt.62 in Burlington,MA has an enormous Super Beef on an onion roll for a little over $4-had to eat it with a fork.
    Mikey's on rt3A in Billerica,MA has great roast beef,and flaky, crumbly onion rings-yummy.
    Beefmaster, also on Rt3A in Billerica is just as good.
    Both places also offer Chicken Kabobs over Greek Salads, souvlaki, and fried seafoods.
    The common denominator for many of these places is either Greek or Mediterranean family ownership. You often see many generations of the same family working side by side.
    Other names droppings:
    Redneck's in Allston,MA
    the new Buzzy's Roast Beef in Central SQ. Cambridge,MA-owner bought the name-different from the original.
    the Bill and Bob's chain-remnants all over-my local one in on the Woburn/Winchester,MA line-good late night eats.
    Riley's are still around in places, I hear Framingham,MA may still have one.
    it should be noted that Kelly's has 4 locations-Saugus, Revere, Framingham, and Danvers
    DaveM
    fummunda
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/10/03 01:13:22 (permalink)
    I remember Riley's Roast Beef Ranch in Malden Square...in high school we used to go down there or Papa Gino's for lunch since there were no hot lunches at school (heck, there wasn't even a cafeteria) and the bag lunches were horrible and we got sick of buying from the canteen trucks pahked outside. Riley's was good, Bill & Bob's too, and Kelly's is still our first stop after hopping into the rental car at Logan (our routine: small roast beef, tubba scallops and a lobsta roll).
    M Ham
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/10/03 16:55:21 (permalink)
    Looking for a sauce for these famous sandwiches.
    I enjoy Land and Sea in Peabody.
    Also what cut of the beef do these places use?
    Trying to create my own sandwiches at home.
    evvo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/10/23 01:34:03 (permalink)
    This is the sauce that most of the shops use: http://www.smithfieldcollection.com/barbequesauce/
    It's the James River Barbeque Sauce.
    I know that Mikey's (see above) sells bottles of it.

No one mentioned the Bedford House of Beef on 4/225 in Bedford. A personal favorite of mine.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2003/10/23 07:28:26 (permalink)
    Speaking of Kelly's (at least the Saugus, Rt. 1 location)...better get your roast beef sandwiches now because when they crowbar-in a Krisy Kreme doughnuts in the place where Russo's Candies now stands (across from Kelly's) the traffic is going to be that much worse.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/02/08 16:58:47 (permalink)
    Evvo is absolutely right about Bedford House of Beef.
    Also Liberty Bell in Woburn center and in Stoneham on Rt28.
    Here is a shot of the $4.10 Super beef at Londi's on rt62 in Burlington:

Also, great onion rings-a giveaway to a great roast beef place.
    This sandwich is almost too difficult to hold and eat with one hand.
    DaveM
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/04/08 08:38:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Michael Stern

I think you just nominated yourself Michael When is the book coming?

I certainly don't know where to get anything this good anywhere around here....maybe there's just none on the mid-Atlantic coast. It would be great if Michael would do the book!!

Frank
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/04/08 09:48:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin
    I certainly don't know where to get anything this good anywhere around here....maybe there's just none on the mid-Atlantic coast. It would be great if Michael would do the book!!

Frank

Actually, you can....Just head up to Baltimore for one of their Pit Beef Sandwiches. The beef is grilled and marinated instead of roasted. Served on a Kaiser Roll or Rye Bread with raw onions, horseradish and a spritz of Mayo and/or BBQ Sauce.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/04/08 10:26:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Frank

Actually, you can....Just head up to Baltimore for one of their Pit Beef Sandwiches. The beef is grilled and marinated instead of roasted. Served on a Kaiser Roll or Rye Bread with raw onions, horseradish and a spritz of Mayo and/or BBQ Sauce.

WJ,
    Thank you kind sir! Your description of this treat is making my mouth water. I will be eagerly anticipating my next trip to Baltimore.

Frank
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/04/08 10:41:03 (permalink)
    quote:

WJ,
    Thank you kind sir! Your description of this treat is making my mouth water. I will be eagerly anticipating my next trip to Baltimore.

Frank

The place I went to is called Chaps. It's on Rte 40 off the rte 40 exit of I-95 just north of Downtown Baltimore
    bruins
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/06/09 12:03:03 (permalink)
    Yeah I work in Andover and Harrison's is good, but the best on the North shore is in Lynn Ma, Place called Mino'e roast beef and John's roast beef, Outa this world.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/09/15 21:27:07 (permalink)
    Hi guys!
    My son has just started going to school in N Andover so we tried Harrison's last night- great place- we had smalls with sauce and it was plenty! Plus the fries are really good too

Thanks Salembrewer!
    musicmaniac
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/09/22 16:54:10 (permalink)
    My first post here. I lived in Mass for 30 years before moving to Philadelphia. I used to love going to Riley's in Lawrence then to Harrison's where i still make a visit when i go back up North. If anyone knows out there who makes & where you can buy that barbecue sauce they use & the pizza rolls? I know they don't make that stuff themselves. Thanks for any help.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/09/22 17:07:27 (permalink)
    I must say you guys have all the luck. The closest thing we have here is Arby's. That doesn't even qualify. I will eat one or two though.
    jTlouG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Roast Beef North Shore Massachusetts style 2004/09/27 19:44:17 (permalink)
    first off let me say i hate you to all of those who are lucky enough to be within even 50 miles of a roast beef shop up north.. i am original from boston and i came donw to florida for school. and right now i would pay 40 dollars for a supa 3-way...

and who ever said that they wanted to put gravy on a roast beef sandwich from kellys should rot in... well you know where... that would destroy the sandwich.

and Lynn ma is deffiantly the place to get a great roast beef.. from Mino's to Johns. but the best place is Petes Roast Beef on Boston street.. hands donw. theres a "roast beef" place right donw the street from my place, but the sandwiches are more like microwavable steak and cheeses than roast beef.

and ive been looking everwhere to buy some James Roast Beef Sauce.. but i cant find it anywhere.. so if anybody knows where i can get it online that would be awsome.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1