Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding

Author
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
2006/12/15 14:55:10 (permalink)

Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding

My family wants this beween now and the New Year. Do you use eye of round or prime rib? PRIME rib at the butcher near me is going for around $33 a rib.

And the Yorkshire Pudding, have any recipes to share? Thank you.

9 Replies Related Threads

SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 15:14:03 (permalink)
    You use what is called a standing rib roast. We just bought a seven pounder @ $6.99/lb from our local butcher. It's graded USDA Choice because paying (not to mention finding)*prime* meat is EXPENSIVE!
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 15:17:19 (permalink)
    Choice "Prime Rib"at Publix Markets today 5.99
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 15:44:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

My family wants this beween now and the New Year. Do you use eye of round or prime rib? PRIME rib at the butcher near me is going for around $33 a rib.

And the Yorkshire Pudding, have any recipes to share? Thank you.

YORKSHIRE PUDDING

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!
    ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR PUDDING TO PUFF UP PROPERLY

Ingredients

7/8 c of flour
    ½ Tsp salt
    ½ c of milk
    2 Eggs
    ½ water

Preparation:

Make this batter at least an hour before baking. Beat it again just before baking.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Sift together flour and salt
    Put milk and eggs in a blender and whip. Gradually add flour. Blend well to get air into the batter.
    In the pre-heated oven, heat a 9X10 baking dish or muffin pans. Pour about a ¼ inch of melted butter or "Clean Drippings" from the roast in and let it get smoking hot.
    Pour in batter.
    Bake in the hot oven for 20 minutes then reduce the temp to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Cut in squares for serving. REMEMBER MAKE THE BATTER AT LEAST 1 HOUR AHEAD AND LET IT SIT AND ALL INGREDIENTS AT ROOM TEMP!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 16:56:13 (permalink)
    I just printed your recipe. The one time I had Yorkshire pudding the english lady did it in a muffin pan, it was great.

Thanks,

John
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 17:16:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

I just printed your recipe. The one time I had Yorkshire pudding the english lady did it in a muffin pan, it was great.

Thanks,

John

Correction: the 1/2 water should read 1/2 CUP water. I figured you would figure it out but wanted to be sure. I make this every year because my kids love it.
    Enjoy.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 19:26:34 (permalink)
    I truly do not want to step on anyone's toes but this is how we have made Yorkshire Pudding. We did it this way because my grandfather was from Littleport, Cambridgeshire and this is the way they made it there. It is not in cups and it is very thick and substantial. Here we go:

Of course you have to have a roast beast we used to call it a rolled roast but I think it was an eye round tied up into a roll. Once it was done here is what my Mom did.

1 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt.

Beat well, (she really did not care if the ingredients were at room temp because the roast juices would be much warmer anyway).

Add the drippings from the pan and place into a 9x12 baking pan, or the pan that the roast was in and put it into the oven at 400 for 20-30 minutes. This would brown up naturally. It is a wonderful dish and even good for leftovers.

Any extra drippings should be spooned on top.

This is not a light dish the pudding is dense but it retains the flavor of the roast.

BB
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/15 21:17:39 (permalink)
    Popovers vs Yorkshire Pudding

Popovers and yorkshire pudding are kissin cousins. Here's a link to make good popovers
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Popovers.htm
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/16 10:25:17 (permalink)
    We make Yorkshire Pudding ( the "popover" type) every Xmas eve to accompany our roast beef (four standing ribs of "choice or better beef") and we love it.

However, it is a far cry from the "Yorkshire Pudding" I grew up with as made by my Grandmother. Her's was from a recipe she got from an English neighbor (I think the lady was from the Southhampton area and she had been trained as a baker) - unfortunately the recipe is lost. In any case, it was a solid cake made with white flour and had the consistency of cornbread and was always baked in pan drippings in a 9 x 12 glass pan. Someone has suggested to me that my Grandmother's product was actually a popover cooked in a too-cool oven and it had failed to "pop". Anyone know anything like this?

As to the roast beef: Be sure to take it out of the refrigerator a couple of hours before cooking. Coat it liberaly with salt and pepper (some people like a touch of garlic inserted in slits). We like to line the bottom of the roasting pan with a mix of chopped onion,carrots, and celery to hlep make a more flavorful gravy. Start in a 450 oven. Turn down in 10 minutes to 350 and roast to an internal temperature of 135 for rare- about 15 to 18 minutes per pound. Let it stand on a platter or cutting board lightly covered, while making the Yorkshire Pudding and the gravy, before slicing. Add any juices that have accumulated in the platter to your gravy.

Cheers, John
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding 2006/12/16 15:36:10 (permalink)
    Agreeing with foodbme, room temperature ingredients. When I made the recipe below, before I learned the tip about room temperature ingredients, my family called my yorkshire puddings "hockey pucks" because they didn't rise. (I always make individual ones in a muffin pan.)

1 cup flour (scant)
    1 cup milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs

I warm the milk in the microwave to room temperature and place the eggs in warm water. It takes just a few minutes for them to come to room temperature.

Mix all ingredients with hand beater/portable mixer until just smooth. Place hot drippings or hot melted butter in a 9 x 9 pan or a muffin pan and pour in batter. Bake for about 10 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

I use a muffin tin with about 1/2 tsp of butter at the bottom of each. I preheat the pan until the butter is sizzling and then pour in the batter, returning to the oven as quickly as possible.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1