Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks

Author
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
2009/05/26 11:17:02 (permalink)

Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks

Is the Roast Pork sandwich now number 1 in Philly?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090526_Cheesesteak_not_Phillys_best_sandwich_.html

29 Replies Related Threads

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 11:41:31 (permalink)

Funny.  I was just in Philly two weekends ago.  We went to both Pat's and Tony Luke's.  My trip report still isnt' finished, but there will be delicious photos of both, as well as a stop in Edison, NJ.

I'd have to say I agree that the roast pork from Tony Luke's trumps a cheese steak from Pat's.  As to the question of Whiz or Provalone.... Whiz on the the steak, provalone on the pork works for me.  Now I can't tell you who has the best cheese steaks in Philly, because in the three trips I've made there, the only cheese steaks I've had were from Pat's.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 12:23:52 (permalink)
    The roast pork italian I had from Tony Luke's was better than all the cheesesteaks I had, except maybe the one from Steves's
    Freddies Mommy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 14:25:05 (permalink)
    Pat's is just not that good for Cheesesteaks I am a Tony Luke's Girl...  Before that I was all about Geno's.  Foodasaurus I can not wait to see your write up and where you went in Edison.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 15:13:34 (permalink)
    While I've never had one, I've been told by several people whose opinions I respect, including some here, that Tony Luke's pork with broccoli rabe is a fantastic sandwich.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 16:09:48 (permalink)
    My most recent Philly experience involved both the cheese steak and the roast pork at John's Roast Pork in south Philly.  Both sandwiches far exceeded anything I ate at Geno's, but I still think the pork was better at Dinic's in the Reading Terminal Market.

As for whether or not roast pork is surpassing the cheese steak as "Philadelphia's signature dish," I might just have to agree.  Don't get me wrong - steak joints in Philly are as prevalent as pizza slice joints in NYC, but....it seems that you can now find a good cheese steak almost anywhere in the country, but the roast pork sandwich requires a trip to Philadelphia.

Save me the spiel about the bread not being as good or this or that.  I get it.  But, there are three places locally that serve a better cheese steak than Geno's (holy crap...I'm starting to sound like wanderingjew!).  I have yet to find a decent roast pork outside of the Philly metro.

FWIW, I feel the same way about chicken wings.  You can find chicken wings in your town (probably) that are as good as or better than the ones found at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, but odds are you can't find a decent beef on weck!
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 16:15:27 (permalink)

Traveling Man, I couldn't agree with you more.  Very well said.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 16:20:55 (permalink)
    While the roast pork sandwich is getting more popular, I still don't see it coming close to the cheesesteak in terms of popularity. Most people in the Philly region (suburbs included) just go to their local pizza place to get cheesesteaks. They don't take special trips into Center City or South Philly to go to the relatively few places that sell roast pork sandwiches.

As for me, I still prefer a really good cheesesteak, but would take a roast pork sandwich from one of the well-known places that specialize in them (John's, Tony Luke's, D'Nic's) over a run-of-the-mill cheesesteak.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 16:59:52 (permalink)
    I agree with TTM.  I can get a great cheesesteak  in many places  but the  roast pork rabe sandwich  is  only in Philadelphia!
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 17:13:46 (permalink)
    I had the good fortune to have a business trip to Philly in the past year, and got to enjoy both a cheesesteak from Pat's, as well as a roast pork from both Tony Luke's and DiNic's.  Both pork sandwiches were superior, and among the best sandwiches I've ever consumed. 

Roast pork beats cheesesteak hands down, in my opinion.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2435
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 22:48:32 (permalink)
    TTM, I've had a pretty good beef on weck at a Wegmans supermarket in Syracuse, NY.  And when Tony Luke's had a spot in NYC, I ate the Roast Pork sandwich there about twice a week.  It's a place called Shorty's Saloon now and they still have the Roast Pork sandwiches (with provolone and broccoli rabe) and I have a feeling they are not as good as before, despite not having been back there since last year.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/26 22:59:54 (permalink)
    Hard, hard pick....I'll take one of each.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/28 18:18:31 (permalink)
    Since I'm not in the area is this accurate?

Ingredients

* 2 pounds boneless pork loin
        * 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Big Daddy Seasoning, recipe follows
        * 1/4 cup grape seed oil
        * Kosher salt
        * 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli rabe, cleaned and roughly chopped
        * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
        * 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
        * 4 to 6 ciabatta rolls
        * 1 pound provolone, sliced
        * Cracked black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Rub pork loin with 1/2 cup Big Daddy Seasoning and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large cast-iron pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil; Seer pork loin on all sides and both ends.

Add pork to a roasting pan with rack and roast in oven for approximately 1 hour until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice pork very thin.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, add broccoli rabe and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain from water and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain from ice water.

In a large skillet over medium heat, add remaining oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant. Add the cooked broccoli rabe. Add 2 tablespoons Big Daddy Seasoning and mix together. Remove from pan.

Assemble ciabatta rolls upside down; add provolone cheese, pork and broccoli rabe. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toast sandwiches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
    Big Daddy Seasoning:

* 1/2 cup smokey paprika
        * 1/4 cup granulated onion powder
        * 1/4 cup granulated garlic powder
        * 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
        * 1/4 cup fresh cracked pepper
        * 1/2 cup kosher salt

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/28 19:21:59 (permalink)

I don't know if that recipe is accurate; I will say its sounds really good though!

I think a ciabatta roll would be to crusty.  Don't get my wrong.  I do love a crusty roll.  But the bread in Philly is softer, a bit chewy, but in a good way.  It tears rather than breaks.

Again though....  Sounds great.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/28 19:26:01 (permalink)
    Instead of sliced provolone, I would suggest chunks of aged extra sharp provolone.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/05/28 20:56:09 (permalink)
    I posted pictures of Dinic's and you can see there's a dry rub on the outside of the roast beef and the fresh hams (pork).  Since I still never had a plain cheesesteak sandwich, I cannot comment on a comparison of the two.

But, the roast pork with provolone and greens (I had the spinach) was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had.  No, I'd still rate pastrami as number one, but this could be number 2...It's got a lot of things going on and it's well thought out, too. 

From the au jus to the bread to the meat to the spinach with garlic.  They put a lot into each facet of the sandwich.  The spinach is obviously sauteed in garlic and olive oil.  That's a process.  They are roasting off those fresh hams with a wonderful seasoning rub and saving the pan juices.  Another process.  They are utilizing the juices sort of like a french dip for the pork.  Slices are sitting in that wonder juice..Another process.  
     And most importantly, they are using the very best imported sharp provolone you can get.  That's the star of the sandwich for me.   And that has been well planned too. 

You can't slice the good imported stuff on a slicer, so they cut small slices and have them sitting on the cutting board.  But they make sure that's the first thing placed in the sandwich so when the second ingredient, the hot meat goes in, it starts to melt and intensify that provolone.  Now, if you don't like sharp provolone, you won't like the sandwich.  But if you do, it's pure heaven.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/06/07 21:57:44 (permalink)
    It's much easier to find a cheesesteak than a roast pork in the Philly area. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The Cheesesteak is still king.
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/06/10 11:14:52 (permalink)
    I grew up in Allentown, and I have fond memories of BOTH sandwiches.

There was a place called Liberty Lunch, that had incredibly delicious pork sandwiches.

And then there was The Look Steak Shop, which had absolutely delicious cheesesteaks.

I cannot compare the two,  but I can only say they were both fantastic.

But, for my business,  I chose Philly Cheesesteaks.....

The link below gives my little "biography" on growing up in Allentown, and why I decided on cheesesteaks. 

www.TommyBsPhillyCheese.com/about_us

harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/04 20:31:52 (permalink)
    A roast pork sandwich is a just a really different taste experience than a cheesesteak. Here's what I had yesterday at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia:

My boyfriend had their brisket, which was another thing altogether. Very tender and flavorful! But I had a taste for roast pork with provolone (I don't eat peppers or anything like that, and am kind of afraid to order the greens).
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2009/07/04 20:34:41
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/04 20:41:14 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Since I'm not in the area is this accurate?

I have absolutely no idea whether that is accurate. But boy oh boy do I want one of those!

harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/06 17:41:25 (permalink)
    I do not think all of those seasonings are needed for authenticity. The black pepper on the DiNic's I ate was about all I saw on there. It was so unbelievably crowded on the take-out side that I couldn't even get over there and take a picture of the whole roasts. Sharp provolone is the ONLY way to go with these.
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2009/07/06 17:44:51
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/06 22:55:01 (permalink)
    <<It was so unbelievably crowded on the take-out side that I couldn't even get over there and take a picture of the whole roasts.>.

Harriet (and anybody else), there's a branch of Di Nic's in Mt. Ephraim NJ on Black Horse Pike. I've been to both that one and the one at RTM, and IMHO the Mt. Ephraim version is MUCH better. The sandwich at RTM seemed very hastily put together (there is such a thing as doing TOO MUCH volume of business) and not very well made.

Also, the Mt. Ephraim shop is a much more "relaxing" experience, you can actually usually get a spot at the counter (no other seating).  Their Roast Pork w/rabe and Sharp Provolone is one of my Top 5 dishes in all of New Jersey! 
    post edited by ken8038 - 2009/07/06 22:56:33
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/06 23:33:49 (permalink)
    My wife and I caught the Phils 22-1 win over the Reds tonight at Citizens' Bank Park. I decided to go through the long line at Tony Luke's for the first time this season. I went with a cheesesteak (whiz-with). My wife had Roast Pork Italian with broccoli rabe. We were both very happy with our selections!
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/07 06:53:31 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

My wife and I caught the Phils 22-1 win over the Reds tonight at Citizens' Bank Park. I decided to go through the long line at Tony Luke's for the first time this season. I went with a cheesesteak (whiz-with). My wife had Roast Pork Italian with broccoli rabe. We were both very happy with our selections!

Did you share bites?  Hard to choose between those two great offerings - the best of class for both sandwiches IMO.
    Capt Murdock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/08 16:52:15 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

How does the ballpark version compare to the sandwich at the actual Tony Lukes?

I'm down at CBP quite a bit but always go with a Schmitter, Crab Fries or the ol' stand by of a hot dog.

As fo rme I love Cheesesteaks and have been to quite a few places throughout the city but lately my wife and I have been making the hour drive to Tony Luke's for the Roast Pork.  I think it may have the edge over the Cheesesteak.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/08 17:06:59 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

My wife and I were kayaking during the first inning and previously for a while - when she turned the game on after our return and told me it was 10 to nothing (the day before they lost 10-1) I was momentarily stunned still!

But they won last night 4-3 so I guess the lopsided game did not hurt them terribly (except for the pitchers' egos.)

I do dream about a real Philly cheesesteak every so often - kind of hard to find a real one in this neck of SW Ohio.

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/10 23:36:42 (permalink)
    Capt Murdock
    How does the ballpark version compare to the sandwich at the actual Tony Lukes?

I'm down at CBP quite a bit but always go with a Schmitter, Crab Fries or the ol' stand by of a hot dog.

As fo rme I love Cheesesteaks and have been to quite a few places throughout the city but lately my wife and I have been making the hour drive to Tony Luke's for the Roast Pork.  I think it may have the edge over the Cheesesteak.

I wish I could answer your question, but it's been a fairly long time since I've had any kind of sandwich from Tony Luke's at any location other than the stadium, and my other experiences were at Tony Luke Jr.'s in Center City.

To answer the question from the other post, as far as sharing; no ... we each just stuck with our own sandwich (but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I prefer a good cheesesteak to a roast pork sandwich). There have been times when I didn't feel like waiting in the cheesesteak/roast pork line and went to Planet Hoagie for a grilled chicken Italian with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe on a good hoagie roll.  The line there is usually less than half as long as Tony Luke's, which is the next stand over. For something decent with an even shorter line, there are Hatfield grill stands around the stadium that sell pretty good grilled jumbo hot dogs and sausage on a cheesesteak-style roll with grilled onions and peppers.

I haven't tried the Campo's stand at the ballpark yet, but I'd say I like the Tony Luke's cheesesteak from the stadium more than Campo's from their Old City location.

My two favorite cheesesteak places among those I've tried are Steve's Prince of Steaks and D'Alessandro's.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2009/07/10 23:39:57
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/10 23:42:09 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut
    I do dream about a real Philly cheesesteak every so often - kind of hard to find a real one in this neck of SW Ohio.

I'm sure I'd crave them if I moved from the Philly region. So I feel for you. But I also envy you for the dramatically better selection of fast food that you have in the midwest than we do in this part of the country. A food writer here theorized that we don't have many good hot dog places because there is such a heavy focus on cheesesteaks and hoagies.

fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/12 13:17:43 (permalink)
    I feel there is nothing better than a good cheesesteak.  I know the pork sandwiches are good, but to get a really good cheesesteak is like getting a really good slice of pizza, it is heavenly.  I lived in South Jersey for years and the pizza was terrible, but my oh my the cheesesteaks were fantastic!  Back up in North Jersey I can get the good pizza, but not the good cheesesteaks!  What a cruel, cruel world we live in where I can't get both in the same place!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8494
    Re:Roast Pork v. Cheesesteaks 2009/07/12 14:03:53 (permalink)
    I can not get anything here in Wisconsin that even resembles what you all are describing.It is a cruel, cruel world!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1