The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Roasted Vegetables

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 484
Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 3:35 PM (permalink)
Hi  I just bought a beautiful eggplant from my farmers market and would love to roast it whole.  Any suggestions oven temp and length of time, seasonings??  Would love to hear what kinds of vegetables you like to roast.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
    Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 5:18 PM (permalink)
    Slice lengthwide, cook it at 400, for around an hour, let it cool for at least 15 minutes, Olive Oil, Garlic, Thyme, Salt and Pepper.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
      Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 6:35 PM (permalink)
      blue heaven

Hi  I just bought a beautiful eggplant from my farmers market and would love to roast it whole.  Any suggestions oven temp and length of time, seasonings??  Would love to hear what kinds of vegetables you like to roast.
      I like to do a roast vegetable medley...all chunked...yams, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, fingerling potatoes, and some coarse chopped leeks. Toss in a large bowl with EVOO, kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and just a few splashes of real maple syrup. Spread evenly on a foil covered cookie sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes at 350. Maybe jack it up to 400 for the last 10 minutes to brown a touch.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
        Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 7:22 PM (permalink)
        I tend to grill vegetables more than roast them, and the cruciferous ones like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts are my favorites.  But I also enjoy them pan or oven-roasted as well.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
          Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 7:41 PM (permalink)
          At this time of the year I like to oven roast squash, especially butternut and acorn.  One of MH's new favorites is roasted cauliflower.  When I roast a whole chicken I throw in halved Brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes the last 1/2 hour.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
            Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 8:50 PM (permalink)
            great roasted vegetables at our house include cauliflower, my wife's favorite, whole small onions, parsnips and carrots, potatoes, especially red or gold, peppers, asparagus.  Squash is good, too, as are sweet potatoes.  Grilled, we do a lot of peppers, corn, asparagus, and zucchini or yellow squash.  It's been so cold this winter in St Louis, not as much grilling going on as I'd like...

Turtle66

• Total Posts: 103
              Re:Roasted Vegetables Sun, 02/9/14 10:04 PM (permalink)
              I love to grill vegetables out side on the grill over mesquite, plethora of yummy veggies including Egg Plant in various marinade styles. Asian,Mediterranean,South Western etc.. If i can't grill out side (or am not up to it) I roast indoors instead. We eat lot's of vegetables in this house hold.         
              <message edited by Turtle66 on Sun, 02/9/14 10:28 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                Re:Roasted Vegetables Mon, 02/10/14 12:33 AM (permalink)
                chewingthefat

Slice lengthwide, cook it at 400, for around an hour, let it cool for at least 15 minutes, Olive Oil, Garlic, Thyme, Salt and Pepper.

I suggest this method also. Cutting it in half means it cooks faster and you can slather it on the cut side with butter/olive oil & seasonings and get more flavor.
                Roasting it whole gives it no flavor.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                  Re:Roasted Vegetables Mon, 02/10/14 8:03 AM (permalink)
                  Some of my favorites are asparagus, cauliflower, fennel, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts I love roasted vegetables!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                    Re:Roasted Vegetables Mon, 02/10/14 8:03 AM (permalink)
                    Some of my favorites are asparagus, cauliflower, fennel, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts I love roasted vegetables!

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
                      Re:Roasted Vegetables Mon, 02/10/14 1:05 PM (permalink)
                      Eggplant I roast one of two ways:

Slice half-inch thick in rounds, dip in beaten egg, then a mixture of flour and seasonings (I use Italian, garlic powder, and a little salt & pepper), lay on a greased baking sheet without touching, 10 minutes per side at 350F.

Cut into chunks about 1-inch square and toss in a casserole dish, sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then bake at 400F for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

As for other vegetables, I've not yet met one I don't thoroughly enjoy roasted, although you have to be careful because some of them are easy to overcook or burn. Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Brussels sprouts, all winter squashes, parsnips, carrots...whatever. Sometimes I drizzle with olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar, sometimes I use other vinegars, sometimes I do butter and herbs or other seasonings, some with citrus juices...depends on the vegetable. Sometimes I'll do butternut squash chunks tossed with olive oil, lime juice, rosemary, salt & pepper. I've also done sweet onions cut almost through then drizzled with balsamic, honey and tarragon and roasted.

I do a couple of different mixtures of vegetables cut in chunks like Pancho does: one is Brussels sprouts, red potatoes, parsnips and yellow onions tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and salt-free seasoning, then laid out in a 9x13 pan and roasted at 400F for about an hour, stirring occasionally. The other is sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and red onions tossed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, then roasted at 450F for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com