Rochester, MN places to eat?

Author
rxhill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2004/06/21 14:52:39 (permalink)

Rochester, MN places to eat?

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat in Rochester, MN. Any type of food is fine.

18 Replies Related Threads

Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2004/06/21 16:26:14 (permalink)
    John's Family Restaurant, 6 1st Av NW (in the lobby of the Days Inn). Great Greek food.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2004/06/22 09:10:44 (permalink)
    Also forgot to mention John Hardy's Barbecue on South Broadway--another very good place.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2004/06/22 10:42:07 (permalink)
    I second John Hardy's. I get the half beef half pork dinner combo, order the potatoes crispy. There is also a place that I can't remember the name of, it used to be called Henry Wellingtons. It's located on the street behind the Hilton hotel on broadway. There is a restaurant on the bottom floor and some steps on the outside of the building that lead up to a bar. I used to go there just for the super nachos. They had a huge menu the last time I was there.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2005/11/30 00:27:49 (permalink)
    I am bumping this thread. I am going to be visiting the Mayo Clinic a LOT in the next 3 years, and I need some good, cheap, mom & pop places that are w/in walking distance.

Your help is much appreciated. I like to try vegetarian dishes, but realize how hard they are to find here in the Midwest.

Thank you in advance!

-Stricken Detective
    stricken_detective
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/02/25 15:55:28 (permalink)
    Ok.

I have taken 4 trips to Mayo clinic now & have a recommendation, finally:

Victoria's
    http://www.victoriasmn.com/

As an Italian kid who grew up in the kitchen, I usually won't eat Italian food out, but this was great. It was my last meal before a big medical test, and worth every penny.

I got the caprese, my favorite, and the bruschetta, because I wanted some bread. Well, the caprese comes with toasted bread, so it was a lot of bread, but that was ok. For dessert, they have a raspberry creme brulee that is out of this world.

They have a lot of sections for the meat-eaters, too. I was told by some locals NOT to get the crabcakes.

Would DEFINITELY go back & highly recommend this place.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/02/25 22:46:55 (permalink)
    Side comment on Rochester "lodging":
    I had to go once to Rochester on business (IBM) and couldn't put my finger on what was different about the hotels...until I realized they looked a bit more like hospitals than hotels (railings on walls, oxygen avaialble, etc.) Then I realized, OK, Mayo Clinic
    Let's hope the roadfood is plenty healthy!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/01 15:30:30 (permalink)
    Victoria's is one of my favorites! Be hungry when you go, because the servings are generous.

Unfortunately, the company that operated Henry Wellington's and several other restaurants in town chose to remodel and "re-conceptualize" Wellington's. I don't remember what it's called now, but I just didn't care for it.

Michael's Restaurant is an endearingly old-fashioned supper club (although open for lunch as well) with a number of Greek specialties on the menu.

Although I have not been able to try it yet, I've heard that there's an Indian restaurant that's quite good, too. Also on my list to try are Jasper's Alsatian Bistro and Wine Bar and a bakery called Daube. http://www.daubesbakery.com/
    rcciii_38
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/11 02:34:25 (permalink)
    Famous Dave's BBQ you always know the food is great. The burgers(Famous Dave's Burger)or Chicken wings the Brisket, Pork, Ribs are all excellent. The atmosphere laid back and crazy decorations all over and the server's are great to look at!They have amusing slogans on their shirts. You can watch them cook your food. They have different sauces to appeal to any taste. They have a full bar, MMMM! My kids love going there also.Great Blues Music. A large patio. Famous Daves is connected to a hotel also that has huge rooms and is inexpensive compared to most. It is close to evrything in Rochester off of Hwy 52 and Civic Center Drive pretty much the center of Rochester. There is a Perkins across the street, a TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Mickeys Irish Pub,Grocery Store,Liquer Store, 3 Gas Stations Movie Rental places, 2 Strip malls, other Restuarants all within walkin distance. The Hospitals are from less than a one minute drive to a 2 minute drive or if you feel up to it a 10 minute walk.
    Theedge
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/11 07:56:03 (permalink)
    Not to be mean or too hard on you rciii_38, and welcome to Road Food. But you've just mentioned a bunch of chain restaurants, generally speaking that's not what people here at Roadfood are looking for. Again, I'm saying this in the nicest possible fashion, no offense I hope. Famous Dave would generally be frowned upon by us BBQ fans, especially when some of the best Q anywhere (IMHO) can be found at John Hardy's.

I've heard good things about The Broadstreet in Rochester, I have yet to make it there myself.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/12 00:41:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rcciii_38

Famous Dave's BBQ you always know the food is great. The burgers(Famous Dave's Burger)or Chicken wings the Brisket, Pork, Ribs are all excellent. The atmosphere laid back and crazy decorations all over and the server's are great to look at!They have amusing slogans on their shirts. You can watch them cook your food. They have different sauces to appeal to any taste. They have a full bar, MMMM! My kids love going there also.Great Blues Music. A large patio. Famous Daves is connected to a hotel also that has huge rooms and is inexpensive compared to most. It is close to evrything in Rochester off of Hwy 52 and Civic Center Drive pretty much the center of Rochester. There is a Perkins across the street, a TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Mickeys Irish Pub,Grocery Store,Liquer Store, 3 Gas Stations Movie Rental places, 2 Strip malls, other Restuarants all within walkin distance. The Hospitals are from less than a one minute drive to a 2 minute drive or if you feel up to it a 10 minute walk.
    I am not going to be as nice as the last person.

A) I got food poisoning at the Famous Dave's here in my city--why would I go to one out of town?
    B) Olive Garden?
    C) Sometimes ppl visiting the Mayo Clinic can't really walk too far due to the medical tests they will be having the next day. *ahem*colonoscopy&upperGI*ahem*
    D) Yes, I DID see all the strip malls, gas stations, video stores, liquor stores, and chain restaurants you mentioned on the way into town. The only one who looked good was Wendy's for a 99 cent baked potato. They are WAYYYY too far out of downtown for my liking.
    E) Any LOCAL places you'd recommend??? PLEASE???
    Theedge
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/13 10:12:06 (permalink)
    I should try more places in Rochester, must admit that I'm addicted to the John Hardy's. I live 45 minutes away, so when I'm in town I always go there. My brother swears by The Hunan Garden - Not The Hunan, but The Hunan Garden. This is very easy to get to from the Hospital, I'm guessing like 2 miles. Here is a link with a map you can click on.

http://www.rareguide.com/index.asp?pgid=52&RestaurantID=117

Also, have you tried The Canadian Honker right across the street from St. Mary's? I've never been there but they've been around a long time.

http://www.canadianhonker.com/
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2006/03/23 21:47:23 (permalink)
    An update:

Today I had lunch at Jasper's Alsatian Bistro and picked up a cake at Daube's Bakery. Both were excellent. Alas, I have no pics because I am the world's worst photographer and therefore don't carry a camera.

At Jasper's, I had two buckwheat crepes, one stuffed with wild mushrooms and the other stuffed with ham and cheese. My mom had potato gallettes. Other items on the lunch menu included poorboys (ham, turkey or hummus), salads, soups (the wild rice with pheasant sounded lovely but the crepes won). I also got a peek at the dinner menu and it sounds just as good.

I bought one of Daube's chocolate sundae cakes. See a picture here on their website http://www.daubesbakery.com/. It was every bit as good as it looks and I will definitely be back to try some of the other cakes, pastries and cookies.
    roshkoe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/04/28 22:42:51 (permalink)
    HUHOT!!!! Mongolian Grill!!!!!!!!!!!! @ Apache Mall
    Brianne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/04/28 23:18:40 (permalink)
    Theedge
    My brother swears by The Hunan Garden - Not The Hunan, but The Hunan Garden. This is very easy to get to from the Hospital, I'm guessing like 2 miles. Here is a link with a map you can click on. 

The Hunan Garden was THE place my family always wanted to go to for celebrations. I've yet to have better Moo Shu Pork. Also, the Sizzling Rice Soup (chicken) is a favorite!

So, nobody mentioned Newt's yet? Or did I just miss it? Also, is Zorba's any good? I haven't been there since I was about 8yrs old.
    cjucoder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/04/29 13:47:18 (permalink)
    I see this is an old thread just revived ... but frankly I don't think much has changed over the years for Rochester.

I've been going to the Mayo clinic for almost 3 years and the local restaurants have struck out most times I've tried them. The best meal I've had was fish and chips in Lord Essex at the Kahler Grand Hotel (not that I could afford to stay there!). Very atmospheric place, but not especially a Roadfood place.

I've yet to try Newts and Victoria's, and they are on my list, but I've been so unimpressed with food in that area I've always got myself a kitchenette hotel room and cooked for myself. Luckily, the big grocery chain there (Hy-Vee) seems to be better then my local big chain (Pick 'n Save) as far as variety and also produce/deli quality.

Many hotels in Rochester cater to Mayo patients, and those people tend to be there for a week or more, so many hotel rooms have at least a microwave and mini fridge. Seriously, buy food from the grocery rather than resturants in Rochester.  Or ... if you just feel like being out of your hotel room and go to a random restaurant ... just enjoy being out without expecting good food. Been There Done That! LOL

Just my .02
    post edited by cjucoder - 2011/04/29 13:55:02
    webean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/04/29 15:20:08 (permalink)
    Have been to the Mayo Clinic twice this year.
    Have tried Victoria's and especially liked the salads.
    Hardy's BBQ was not a  favorite...meat and sauce kind of bland...and no smell of smoke inside or out.
    Canadian Honkers for soups, salads and sandwiches....especially the walleye. Generous portions.
    Zorba's....a few miles from the clinic was very good...a little pricey
    Pho Tai....very good pho and noodle dishes

stricken_detective
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/05/06 09:38:13 (permalink)
    Still haven't tried Pannekoeken. My old nurse said when they bring it to you they yell "Pannekoeken, Pannekoeken!" " />

Since I don't like being yelled at, I have stuck to Eisenberg's cafeteria. They have a salad bar & post the menu with the sodium counts right on there.

Pescara in the Radisson, forget it. I could not afford anythng there. I liked their former restaurant, The Metro Grill, because I could get a big plate of fruit & take it back to my room to snack on, and they would leave the canteloupe out. Also they would make entrees for me (mahi mahi to go on top of a spinach salad) to order, ie no salt used in prep. I miss them.

Same nurse I used to see recommended Mr Pizza. It's out by the Hampton Inn. She was right. Delicious pizza, thicker crust with a cornmeal bottom.

They also have Godfather's Pizza here. It is nowhere near downtown. But now that we drive up, we go before we leave town to pick up some pies, since we don't have a Godfather's here & we can sell them out the back of the truck at home, hehe. When I told the manager we were taking them back to Milwaukee, he is the one who suggested buying them only partially baked. That way, my friends could finish cooking them themselves. That has worked out great.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Rochester, MN places to eat? 2011/05/06 09:39:38 (permalink)
    THE RANCH has been closed for a few years now. MY GRANDPARENTS used to eat there when she had her transplant in 1975. They ate at Canadian Honker, too. She remembers they had good food.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1