Rock soup. Have you ever made it?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/23 03:11:09 (permalink)

Rock soup. Have you ever made it?

A discussion I was having with Rouxdog reminded me of another variety of soup entirely, one I haven't seen mentioned here. Rock soup. Yes, I wrote "rock soup". The major ingredient of rock soup is a rock, of course. Select this rock wisely and it can be reused for an infinite number of batches of soup. It is best to sterilize and test this rock by boiling beforehand. The rock can be considered "done" and taken out at any point, of course.
You'll want to be careful to select a type of natural rock that is impervious to the temperature of boiling water, which is the second ingredient you'll add. From here on out the ingredients added are limited only by your own imagination, and that of the children you may wish to recruit to assist you.
The rock soup is best suited to days when your children, grand children, or kin are bored witless. I'm sure you can see the infinite possibilities now. With the proper preparation and suspenseful buildup a pot of rock soup can be a magical thing and will encourage children to develop their own cooking skills. Have fun!

55 Replies Related Threads

BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 06:36:43 (permalink)
    Did you know that fable was based on real Native American traditions? There was also a book I read in the mid 70's as a child that told this story called Stone Soup. I loved that book! Though I admit I've never made it. I tend to be of the camp that cookies are better than soup, esp when they are peanut butter cookies made by my kids
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 07:05:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

Did you know that fable was based on real Native American traditions? There was also a book I read in the mid 70's as a child that told this story called Stone Soup. I loved that book! Though I admit I've never made it. I tend to be of the camp that cookies are better than soup, esp when they are peanut butter cookies made by my kids

Yes, I'd heard the First Nations used heated rocks placed in natural containers such as paunches to cook foods before they traded for iron pots. I was more a meat and potatos cook than desserts, unless the kids talked me into making a cobbler or something. On my days off I'd often ask them what they wanted to help prepare for dinner. This could get interesting when we had a yard and barn full of fowl and rabbits.
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 10:44:14 (permalink)
    Well now, I'm a fixin to go throw a little hay to the Longhorns. I'll be looking for some good rocks.
    Dick, rock soup sounds real good.
    The creative culinary delights I find on ROADFOOD never cease to amaze me! Who needs Martha Stewart when you have good friends who are genius in the kitchen!
    Ole Rouxdog
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 12:59:20 (permalink)
    No, I've never made it and my children are past elementary grades, but this is a nice story:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_v173/ai_3410702
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 18:52:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

Well now, I'm a fixin to go throw a little hay to the Longhorns. I'll be looking for some good rocks.
    Dick, rock soup sounds real good.
    The creative culinary delights I find on ROADFOOD never cease to amaze me! Who needs Martha Stewart when you have good friends who are genius in the kitchen!
    Ole Rouxdog

I'm glad you like the idea, my Friend! I've found rock soup feeds the imagination of children, as well as encouraging the variety of foods they enjoy. Mine all had healthy apetites, though I had to work to encourage one step-daughter to accept any green vegetables. Rock soup was a big help in this.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 18:57:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

No, I've never made it and my children are past elementary grades, but this is a nice story:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_v173/ai_3410702

That's a super story, Fabulousoyster, thank you. It's a good illustration of the possibilities of this recipe. My own children loved making rock soup.
    rouxdog
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/23 22:03:40 (permalink)
    That was a super story Fab.
    Stepper, are you truly working on a western/ranching book or two, them fiction Cowboy thangs? If so, you might like my FREE thoughts. Might find a little flavor there. Keep in mind, I got them Longhorn cattle as well as an authentic 1880's chuckwagon which is used regularly in Cookoffs. Now, if you want to buy me a beer while I'm downloadin on you it'll get even better.
    Ole Rouxdog
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/24 00:21:17 (permalink)
    I also remember reading this story as a kid, except it was Eurocentrific, not Native American. Nonetheless, I loved the idea.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/24 00:28:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

I also remember reading this story as a kid, except it was Eurocentrific, not Native American. Nonetheless, I loved the idea.

Right. And as BhamBabe said, it was called "Stone Soup".

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong (it's happened before), but I believe the first time I heard this story was from Captain Kangaroo.

dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/24 00:57:31 (permalink)
    quote:

That was a super story Fab.
    Stepper, are you truly working on a western/ranching book or two, them fiction Cowboy thangs? If so, you might like my FREE thoughts. Might find a little flavor there. Keep in mind, I got them Longhorn cattle as well as an authentic 1880's chuckwagon which is used regularly in Cookoffs. Now, if you want to buy me a beer while I'm downloadin on you it'll get even better.
    Ole Rouxdog

Yep, Rouxdog, I'm truly trying my hand at fiction writing. I've been an avid reader of everything from Zane Grey to Stephen King for fifty-five years. Back before 2000 I began trying to relearn my typing skills. The quick brown fox turned into a Texas Ranger riding down a dusty trail. I still can't type, but I have a couple of hundred thousand words written on three books I'm editing.
    I just looked, the western is 41,000 words long. It still needs a lot of plot development. I'm making my books as authentic as I know how. I've owned and used every horse, motorcycle, and weapon I write about and started most of the fights.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/24 01:02:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

I didn't know the story was so widespread, but the general idea goes over big time with kids, if presented right. Mine wanted to try it on all their Friends.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 00:33:11 (permalink)
    I made it for lunch today. I found it difficult to chew and hard to swallow. I'm not looking forward to "Passing" it in a day or 2!
    rouxdog
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 02:41:36 (permalink)
    FOODBME ..I feel your pain! Now that passing thing with them big rocks is gonna be a little rough. Please know your Roadfoodie friends are with you.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 06:39:24 (permalink)
    "Stone Soup"-as read by Captain Kangaroo-changed my life!--been cooking and eating for friends and neighbors ever since!! When my daughter was young her best friend and her carefully gathered the stones from a creek in Santa Cruz Ca to make it while i was babysitting at her friends house one weekend--they LOVED IT--but since we didn't have time to cook it longer enough for the stones to get soft----qabbie--her friend--hung them in a web bag in the kitchen--we used them several more times over the next year or so-never did get sofy! Just a couplke of years ago we reconnected with Abies folks--her mom told me they saved those stones in the kitchen for about ten years and they finnally found a place of honer in their garden!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 07:13:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

I made it for lunch today. I found it difficult to chew and hard to swallow. I'm not looking forward to "Passing" it in a day or 2!

This soup brings a whole new meaning to the term roughage.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 07:18:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

"Stone Soup"-as read by Captain Kangaroo-changed my life!--been cooking and eating for friends and neighbors ever since!! When my daughter was young her best friend and her carefully gathered the stones from a creek in Santa Cruz Ca to make it while i was babysitting at her friends house one weekend--they LOVED IT--but since we didn't have time to cook it longer enough for the stones to get soft----qabbie--her friend--hung them in a web bag in the kitchen--we used them several more times over the next year or so-never did get sofy! Just a couplke of years ago we reconnected with Abies folks--her mom told me they saved those stones in the kitchen for about ten years and they finnally found a place of honer in their garden!

Come to think of it the main ingredients here never got tender either. They're probably still around the house someplace.
    Trishkaidekaphobia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 09:52:13 (permalink)
    In Eastern Europe, the soup is made with a nail, not stones. Just as delicious, though. And full of iron!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 15:59:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Trishkaidekaphobia

In Eastern Europe, the soup is made with a nail, not stones. Just as delicious, though. And full of iron!

I don't know that I'd cook with any old nail out of my garage, Trishkaidekaphobia. A bright one should be okay, but most are coated with a galvanizing. It may or may not react with acidic foods like tomatos or lemons, but I'd be cautious about using them without knowing for certain.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 864
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 16:31:41 (permalink)
    I run a residential rehabilitation program for adults with persistent and severe mental illness.
    when i took over the program,I used the story to get residents who had stopped cooking to each prepare one element of a soup..one chopped onions, another potatos, etc..
    It worked
    Today, they do chili cook-offs
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/25 16:34:59 (permalink)
    A great team-building activity
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/26 15:06:12 (permalink)
    Only w/ very small children to expand on the story.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/26 15:50:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phildelmar

I run a residential rehabilitation program for adults with persistent and severe mental illness.
    when i took over the program,I used the story to get residents who had stopped cooking to each prepare one element of a soup..one chopped onions, another potatos, etc..
    It worked

Considering I have been diagnosed with both PTSD and chronic depression I am in a unique position to appreciate your difficult work. Thank you, Phildelmar!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 04:32:57 (permalink)
    Why the rock? What's its purpose, other than displacing liquid that could end up going down my neck hole?
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 08:00:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Why the rock? What's its purpose, other than displacing liquid that could end up going down my neck hole?

Why the rock? Without it you'd be asking kids if they wanted to help you cook some food. It's an entirely different thing to ask them if they'd like to make rock soup. Try it sometime.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 09:53:58 (permalink)
    I ask because I saw one of the shows on the FN and the woman was making soup with a bigassed river rock in it, but no mention of using it to tempt the kiddies into the kitchen was made. I thought I might be missing some big nutritional secret about minerals or something like that there.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 10:39:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

If you don't know the story:

As I was told, three soldiers were in a strange village, and none of the villagers would share any of their victuals. So the soldiers asked for a large pot, and began boiling stones. The villagers became curious, and the soldiers said they were making stone soup... "But it would be so much better if only we had some potatoes to put in, like we make it back home." And a villager, curious about stone soup, runs off and gets some potatoes. And the story goes on, adding different ingredients, until they have a huge pot of rich soup which they share with everyone, and all agree it was the best soup they ever had.

So, the use of the stone is to recall the familiar story of community and sharing, a cultural touchpoint.

Tom
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 13:29:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phildelmar

It worked

--Good Job,Phildemar!! Thanks for your effort!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 19:48:38 (permalink)
    quote:

FOODBME ..I feel your pain! Now that passing thing with them big rocks is gonna be a little rough. Please know your Roadfoodie friends are with you.

Today, I suddenly felt the urge to pass the rock soup. Apparently, some of the rock had been partially digested and as I rushed to the Bathroom, I had to pass some wind-------Killed the cat with a blast of pellets!TRUE STORY!

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rock soup. Have you ever made it? 2007/03/27 21:07:20 (permalink)
    What I like about the story, and how I have used it , is how the rock serves as a metaphor for cooperation and sharing which had, hitherto, been absent
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1