Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rockfish AKA Striped Bass

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 10/31/04 10:13 PM (permalink)
My next door neighbor went fishing yesterday, he caught a little something & gave me a couple of pieces for dinner & to put in the freezer. If you have never had Rockfish, you haven't lived. From a fish this size the filets are 2 and more inches thick, pure white meat & moist as can be. I had a piece that filled my saute pan for dinner tonight, just lightly seasoned it & sauted, then serve with a dijon/mayo sauce. Thought I'd include a picture of my neighbor with his catch! The beauty was 45 inches long!!

Tony Bad

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 10/31/04 10:19 PM (permalink)

Wow...that is quite a fish! I have a neighbor who spends half his life fishing...and I dread when he brings me striped bass. The rest of my family loves it, but I just don't like it at all. Since I will probably have some again before the season is over, I'll try preparing it as you did.

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
      RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 10/31/04 10:59 PM (permalink)
      Very nice fish!

My family goes Hybrid fishing at the base of Fort Loudon Dam from time to time. Biggest one any of us has caught has been 26 pounds. My nephew did catch a 48 pound flathead catfish at the locks though.

I wish I had someone to give some of the fish I have in the freezer. Catfish, rainbow/brown trout, Hybrid, pompano, Bluefish. I bet I have over 100lbs of fillets.

Yeah, my friends turn off the lights and dont answer the door after I come back from a fishing trip.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
        RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 10/31/04 11:03 PM (permalink)
        FISH FRY AT POGO'S HOUSE!!!!!

Pogo

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 3:12 AM (permalink)
          tiki,

I catch 'em..... you cook 'em.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 7:13 AM (permalink)
            Stripers are delicious. They are an amazing fish. We used to catch them in the SoCal Aquaduct 500 miles from it's Bay Area beginning. Lake Powell is another prime location for these guys to be found in the West. I remember seeing a 40 lb record size fish come out of Silverwood, a reservior in the San Bernardino Mountains !
            We like to fry the smaller fish 1 to 2 lb size like a trout. With lemon used in the cooking they come out great.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
              RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 7:21 AM (permalink)
              Can I run on down to your house, ocdreamr? Rockfish have to be my single most favorite fish.

tiki

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 8:14 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Pogo

tiki,

I catch 'em..... you cook 'em.

DEAL!!!

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                  RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 9:17 AM (permalink)
                  NICE FISH!We are getting ready for the Rockfish to migrate to thier winter grounds here off off the Coast of Carolina and you are right if you have never had Rockfish you havent lived!Its just as tasty as Lobster I swear.And no matter how you prepare it ,the flavor shines thru!I cant wait to fill up my frezer with some fillets.

seafarer john

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 9:18 AM (permalink)
                    Until a couple of years ago we wentout to Plum Gut (Long Island Sound) on a charter out of Niantic once every Fall. We caught lots of Blues and Stripers and False Albacore. the Blues are great eating if you cook them the same day you caught them. As we could not do that, all the Blues went home with folks who didn't know any better. The False Albacore were thrown back as they were said to be inedible - don't know, never tried. I would take one striper home to eat and the rest went to the folks who wanted to freeze them. Still fresh tasting a day later they are a beautiful fish to eat. We have baked, grilled, sauted, and poached them - they are good any way you do it.

Cheers, John

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6200
                      RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 9:59 AM (permalink)
                      IMHO, striper is just about the best fish on the planet, even better than halibut and Dover sole. I caught a 38" striper out by Boston Light late one Sunday afternoon, took it back to the yacht club, cleaned it, called some friends, took it home and put it straight on the grill and served it with a tomato-basil beurre blanc. That fish never saw a refrigerator or ice and it was the best piece of fish I have ever eaten.

jellybear

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 10:12 AM (permalink)
                        There is a differnce in taste from a Ocean Stiper and a fresh water Striper I hear but I have never tried a fresh water striper before.And Blues,I personely dont care for them but if you get them on ice quick they do make a nice Cerviche.Forget about the Abies they go to the cats.

ocdreamr

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 10:25 AM (permalink)
                          While I enjoyed my sauted piece of Rock, my favorite way is to gild the lily by placing crab imperial on the top when it's almost fininshed baking & then running it under the broiler to finish the top. That's my plan for the second piece I have.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                            RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 10:33 AM (permalink)
                            My aunt used to make something called Rockfish Oscar - fillets topped with fresh asparagus spears and lump crabmeat and drizzled with Bernaise sauce.

ocdreamr

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Mon, 11/1/04 12:32 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by RubyRose

My aunt used to make something called Rockfish Oscar - fillets topped with fresh asparagus spears and lump crabmeat and drizzled with Bernaise sauce.

Sounds like she came up with a real improvement on veal Oscar to me!

seafarer john

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Tue, 11/2/04 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                We have a recipe we learned at the CIA for catfish filet topped with crabmeat and cornbread crumbs and run under the broiler . I'm sure it would be great with striper or any other white fleshed fish.

BTW: My alltime favorite saltwater fish is the Black Seabass (Tautog, ot Blackfish). The flesh is white and flaky and sweet and grills up beautifully.

Cheers, John

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Tue, 11/2/04 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                  Jellybear,
                                  I've eaten both Fresh and Saltwater Striped Bass, and maybe my palate is dulled by the sheer volume of chow that has darkened my throat from overuse...but I don't recall much, if any, difference between the two. Both are mild and when cooked properly are delicious. Freshwater Stripers were just easier to catch in the middle of the Mojave Desert, than the SaltWater Variety !
                                  My favorite fish of ALL is Swordfish. A thick Steak, broiled or grilled over wood coals is about tops in my book. Followed closely by Halibut, Then Catfish and Striper.

jellybear

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                    Hey Mayor!You need to come down here sometime and wet a line and let me put you on some Fresh Flounder,Speckled Trout,Grouper or Mahi!The water is cooling down now and that means Stripers are coming!

tiki

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by seafarer john

Until a couple of years ago we wentout to Plum Gut (Long Island Sound) on a charter out of Niantic once every Fall. We caught lots of Blues and Stripers and False Albacore. the Blues are great eating if you cook them the same day you caught them. As we could not do that, all the Blues went home with folks who didn't know any better. The False Albacore were thrown back as they were said to be inedible - don't know, never tried. I would take one striper home to eat and the rest went to the folks who wanted to freeze them. Still fresh tasting a day later they are a beautiful fish to eat. We have baked, grilled, sauted, and poached them - they are good any way you do it.

Cheers, John

seafare john---you ever tried smoking those Blues Its really tasty and a great way to use that meat. My faimly has fished the Cape area for serveral generations and i remember when the blues in that area went from being an "Occasional" to a major resident---ticked of my grand father since he was into mackeral and stripers and they were competors for one and ate the other! So we started eating them and my uncle tried smoking them--we did both reg and cold smoked and most of us like the cold smoked to eat as is-like smoked salmon but use the drier hotter smoked stuff as ingrediants in cream cheese spread,a quick pasta sauce etc.

we also had a killer striper recipe for baked striper stuffed with a rice and green olive stuffing that my mother and grandmother never wrote down and it seems that no one has it so my brother and i trying to replicate it--oh well!

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                        Jellybear,
                                        Mahi-Mahi which I have always known as Dorato is great also. I must say it is the only fish I have ever felt 'bad' about catching because of it's sheer beauty. That brilliant Blue/gold shimmer was something amazing to see. It is as mild as any fish I have enjoyed.
                                        Flounder was the fish used in the old HoJo Fish Fry and I have only had it battered and fried. it is also quite mild.
                                        On the Redondo Pier there used to be a fish market where you could buy chunks of smoked fish..Albacore,Swordfish, Dorato, etc. I believe the stand is gone now, but it was a real treat to buy a chunk and get a plastic bowl of chowder and sit watching the fishermen on the pier while enjoying a surfside picnic. That was when the dominant language on the pier was Spanish...20 years ago. Times and groups have changed.

Pogo

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                          Fried Walleye and sauger are my two favorites. Hard to catch around here though.

Sundancer7

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

Fried Walleye and sauger are my two favorites. Hard to catch around here though.

walleye are harder to find however they are on Norris lake as well as the striped bass which is a local industry for guides. Sauger can be found in the spring migrating toward the Ft. Loudon dam. There is a log cabin downstream from the damn which is the local honeyhole for sauger.

I have watched folks catch the striped bass downstream from Ft. Loudon dam and just kill them. Go figure. They throw them away?????

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                              RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                              these are wonderful fish! we used to get them off the 'Joisy'shore,always at night.....not the easiest fish to catch but well worth the effort
                                              we prepared them by simply baking them(do NOT overcook) with a bit of butter and lemon juice..true gourmet fare
                                              In Florida, Hogfish,which are smaller(also called hog snappers) are identicle in taste,texture and appearance,if you are down this way,seek them out!

tiki

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

walleye are harder to find however they are on Norris lake as well as the striped bass which is a local industry for guides. Sauger can be found in the spring migrating toward the Ft. Loudon dam. There is a log cabin downstream from the damn which is the local honeyhole for sauger.

I have watched folks catch the striped bass downstream from Ft. Loudon dam and just kill them. Go figure. They throw them away?????

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

Disgusting!!!!!!! i believe thats actually illegal in some places---i dont understand why anyone would do that when you can alays catch and release and if for some there IS reason to reduce the stock of a fish---stripers are GOOD eating and the least you they could do is drop em off with some one that feeds folks that need it---im sure they'd find a use for it! I know when i was a kid my dad was in a fish and game club that once year put on a big free fish feed--they ALWAYS seemed to have more fish then they could eat and stripers make killer fish and chips!

Pogo

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sat, 11/6/04 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  Paul,

When I was a kid my dad used to take me to Norris every spring to troll for walleye. Good memories.

I am one of those people you will see just below Ft. Loudon dam catching stripers...You will never see me killing them though.

I will have to look for the log cabin sometime, I usually go to the skimmerdike at Kingston steam plant to try and catch a sauger.

lleechef

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 11/7/04 2:31 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by seafarer john

We have a recipe we learned at the CIA for catfish filet topped with crabmeat and cornbread crumbs and run under the broiler . I'm sure it would be great with striper or any other white fleshed fish.

BTW: My alltime favorite saltwater fish is the Black Seabass (Tautog, ot Blackfish). The flesh is white and flaky and sweet and grills up beautifully.

Cheers, John

seafarer john,

Tautog is indeed one of the best fish to come out of the ocean!!! Not many people know about this fish! I used to serve it in the restaurant but called it Black Bass because I thought the name "Tautog" would scare people. It's the slipperiest, slimiest black fish you could ever imagine but the flesh is white with small black flecks, like vanilla bean ice cream. It sure is one tasty piece of fish!!!!

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                                      • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
                                                      RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 11/7/04 2:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      Tautog (tog) is one of the tastiest fish going. Catch them off the rock jetties and such. They're so good, there's a lively trade going, with fishing people catching them, keeping them alive, and selling them to Asian resturants -- the fish you see live in the tank, and say, "Give me that one." Well, maybe not you, given the price. Certainly not me. (Poaching of undersize fish for this purpose is a nasty issue on the Northeast coast.)

lleechef

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 11/7/04 2:53 AM (permalink)
                                                        YES!! togs!!! They are awesome! Not better than striper but surely in second place! I like to pan-fry them with seasoned flour then serve with a tomato-tequila-lime salsa and a dollop of chipotle mayo. I served this to the International Vice President of Cordon Bleu and he flipped!

seafarer john

RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 11/7/04 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          LL: your recipe sounds great, now that It's cooler, I'll try it soon - our local fishmonger usually has very fresh Black Sea Bass- we are lucky!

Friday, he sold us some flounder filets and we steamed them stuffed with scallop mousse and served with Buerre blanc.- Super!

Thursday we had lunch in the fishmonger's restaurant and I had an oyster stew- fat oysters, lots of cream, potatoes, and sprigs of fresh thyme. Delicious!

Cheers, John

Pogo

• Location: East Podunk, GA
                                                            RE: Rockfish AKA Striped Bass Sun, 11/7/04 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                                            You guys are killing me

I cant wait to find tautog, dont think I have ever seen it here in the hinterlands.

I am going right now and buy some oysters for oyster stew tonight. Darn ya!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com