Hot!Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 8 (finale) updated 8/24

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 20:35:41 (permalink)
Greetings!

I enjoy ALL  trip reports here in the forum, all of them!

It is a forum for food, not for photographic experts, so what...

Keep them trip reports coming, please...

Michael
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 7 updated 8/23 2009/08/24 20:47:25 (permalink)
Part 8 and Finale

Ok , now that everyone treaded all over my trip report about photo quality and half eaten food photos- on with the show!

Thursday August 6

I stopped at another....gasp....coffee house- Salt Lake Roasters , downtown, they had the nerve to charge $2.50 for a large cup and $1.75 for a refill- there coffee was ok, but certainly not worth that.

My stop for breakfast a completely different story

Sill's Cafe
 in Layton- a little more than halfway between Salt Lake and Ogden

Sill's is an unassuming cafe

With some Jazz Memorabilia

However there food is far from unassuming

Famous for  their gut busting Utah style scones on steroids, I decided to order that along with their SOS on Hashbrowns

my breakfast arrived and all I could say was..........

WOW!!!

Not only was this the biggest Utah Scone I've ever seen, but it was also the best- loaded and loaded and loaded with butter and honey - I had to take more than half of the tub of butter off the scone, but the SOS and hash browns- which also came with eggs and thick cut bacon
It's times like these I'm thankful for being blessed with low cholesterol. Even still I won't be thinking of eating anything like this for at least another 5 years!
As most of you know, I'm not exactly a breakfast person, but Sills is definetely a highlight of the trip, and will be replacing another restaurant on my top 10 breakfast of all time list!

My initial plans after breakfast were to head up to Ogden and check out a couple of museums- not after this breakfast I'm not....

I returned to my hotel and took a rest (only kidding!)
I was now compelled to take a two mile walk to downtown which I did do.
I've been to Salt Lake twice before, so I did the touristy things (IE The Mormon Temple, Brigham Young's House, The Great Salt Lake and the Bingham Copper Mines.
On my walk I did pass this along the way

but I didn't stop in (been there done that on a previous trip, had no desire to return again)

I decided to walk to Temple Square if only just to take a few photos

After my downtown stroll, I walked back to my hotel. Lunch was out of the question, you see, when I have a big breakfast, I end up with no appetite for lunch, however I did have one more
Utah regional specialty I had to check off my list

Hire's Big H

No not their burgers, but their

Fry Sauce- a unique "only in Utah" local dip for fries- It's basically comprised of mayo, ketchup and other stuff too and to me tastes like thousand island dressing. I've had it before over a decade ago at the Scone Cutter- and realized (after the first time around) that this would have gone  even better with cheese fries- but not after the breakfast I had.
My plans for the afternoon were obvious-

PARK CITY! I've never been there before.
A ski resort town in the mountains about 40 minutes east of Salt Lake City

They even have a ski lift downtown, where it goes? I have no idea.

I did pass another PRE WEBSITE roadfood restaurant

But I didn't stop in

anway, downtown was very strollable

and had some interesting, neat (and some very expensive) shops...

oh, and guess what- it had to happen....I got "TRAVELIN MANNED" for the first and last time of the trip!

at the Park City Museum. My triple A book from 2008 said they were closed for renovations and would reopen in the fall of 2008, well, when I got their the sign stated they would be reopening in the fall of 2009, oh well, at least it didn't happen at a roadfood stop.

By this time I needed some ice cream to console myself

who can resist an ice cream joint with a big cow?
Java Cow

who can resist this place?

I looked at the ice cream choices

and

I hit pay dirt again!!

Wowie Cowie!

Yes, that's the name of this flavor. Creamy Vanilla loaded with heathbar and caramel.

A very close second to Hopscotch in Idaho Springs CO, and definetely in the same league as Ted and Wally's in Omaha and the Daily Scoop in Rhode Island. 3 outstanding ice cream joints over a 3 week period!

As I left Park City, I said goodbye to some new friends

At this point I really could have skipped dinner. But had one more thing to check off.
Earlier in the day at Sill's Cafe, I asked the waitress for some recommendations for Trout. I had already thought about going to the Gray Cliff  Lodge in Ogden or The roadfood acclaimed Maddox Ranch House in Perry. The waitress wasn't sure where to go, but she did ask the cook who recommended..

Jeremiah's in Ogden

a nice family restaurant with a wide variety of stuff on their menu. They even had Navajo Tacos and scones.

I loved the interior

I knew what I was getting..

just what the cardiologist ordered!

A mess of trout served with a side of spanish rice and veggies- I needed that bigtime after what I ate today- and you know I felt so much better after doing so. I enjoyed this trout much more than the one I had last year at the Rocky Mountain Diner in Denver. I would definetely return to Jeremiah's and try some of their other offerings if I ever make it back to Utah.

After dinner, I drove downtown for a couple of last stops. Squatters Brew Pub for my most favorite pale ale of all time- Full Suspension Pale Ale. I fell in love with this ale when I first tried it back in 1995. I took a photo, but it didn't turn out so good so I decided not to post it.
I then stopped at another brew pub, a block or so away, Red Rock Brewing and had their pale ale well, it "paled" in comparison.

Afterwards I returned to my hotel, for a much needed rest, since I'll be driving back to Denver the next day...

Friday August 7

I woke up at 6am sharp. I stopped at Mill City Roasting which I discovered on my stroll the day before for a quick cup of good strong dark roast...Then I headed for breakfast at an old favorite

Johanna's Kitchen in suburban Sandy. I first visited back in 1998, upon a  recommendation from the Sterns in their old "wish you were here postcards" posted on the internet before the website... I really enjoyed the place back then. Would I enjoy it now?

I love the "homespun" atmosphere" and of course the place has its "regulars"

and they even have their own bakery

I ordered the small

Western Omelet (thankfully they had a small option)

which came with

a scone...

Both were good, but I remember the scone being smaller, denser and softer when I first visited. Either way, it just wasn't nearly as phenominal as the scone I had the day before at Sill's.  Rumor has it that Wilfred Brimley drops by here occasionaly (apparently he lives nearby) I didn' t see him there.

I headed south on I-15 and took a turn south east bound on mountainy route 6 to make my way back onto I70. About 45 minutes east of Grand Junction CO, I entered the small enclave of Parachute CO and headed here for lunch

at White Buffalo

another place with really cool decor

As it turns out the owner is from Buffalo NY hence they even have beef on weck on the menu, but of course I need to be "regionally appropriate" .
I looked at their menu on the webs a day or so prior to arriving, and was really looking forward to some chicken fried steak, well, as it turns out its only on their dinner menu.
Ok, I went with

The buffalo burger instead.

served with homemade potato chips on the side, this was another fine burger, almost on parw with the one I had at the Buffalo Rose Saloon in Golden at the beginning of my trip.

After climbing elevations of over 11,000 feet, my chevy cobalt straining to reach 60 mph, I arrived back in Denver just in time for Friday afternoon rush hour. Thankfully I really didn't hit too much traffic. I checked into the Holiday I
nn, a couple of miles outside of downtown.

It was now time to complete my "green chili smackdown" after a 10 day gap.

For Green Chili stop # 4, I headed to

La Fiesta

In the somewhat "shady" five points neighborhood.

with typical "Mexican Cantina" atmosphere, I was wondering how the food was going to be.

I reviewed several Mexican Restaurant menus in Denver, a certain dish stood out that I've never seen on Mexican Restaurant Menus in other parts of the Southwest.
"A Mexican Hamburger" I ordered that with a side of green chili

Sigh....I don't think I've ever eaten anything so blah and bland...at a Mexican Restaurant no less!! The "Mexican Hamburger" had virtually no taste, and the green chili was just a liquid mass, no pork, no nothing.....

This chips and salsa were the best part of the meal

Yes, you got it- the third and final disappointing stop of the trip...

Ok, I can't finish this trip on this note...I had one last stop...

Green Chili Stop # 5

Brewery Bar II, in the barrio, actually not too far away from El Taco De Mexico
Seemingly more "gringo bar" than Mexican Restaurant..
I started out with a fat tire

and a bowl of

red....errr...I mean green chili. Why is it red? I had ask to make sure they gave me the right order. They assured me I had the correct order, you see they add tomato to theirs...and

Ding....Ding...Ding....Ding....Ding..!!!!!
We have a winner!!

Even though I ordered the "mild" this was both flavorful and spicy and loaded with big chunks of pork roast in each bite.... another highlight of the trip and the winner of the green chili smackdown.  See? I saved the best for last!

There were two guys next to me who were talking about brewpubs, I engaged in conversation with them, and asked where the best one in Denver is. They both told me the Breckenridge Brewery, which actually was a few doors down. But you know what, I was tired, I was done and at this point ready to go home....
I didn't go...

Instead I returned to my  hotel to prepare for my flight home the next day..

Saturday August 8

One final cup of coffee at Common Grounds Coffee House in the highland park neighborhood..

I headed to the airport only to have my jar of Huckleberry Jam confiscated (maybe that was a good thing?)
After a layover in Cleveland and some.....

mediocre airport hot wings at generic airport lounge, I returned to "lil Rhody" at around 8pm and was home by 9pm....

Synopsis and final thoughts tomorrow.

Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 7 updated 8/23 2009/08/24 21:12:39 (permalink)
Greetings!

Love the "Cadillac-Kanapee", and your last pic, with the chicken wings...

Thank YOU very much for this nice travel report, I really enjoyed it.

Kind regards from Germany

Michael
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 7 updated 8/23 2009/08/24 21:40:47 (permalink)
Great report and pictures.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 21:57:07 (permalink)
joerogo

Greymo 

I cannot stand  photos  of  food with bites taken out of them

Oh Dear Greymo,  If I had only knew that bothered you so much, I would have taken a chomp out of every food item I ever posted.

How better could one possibly show you for what you are? And you did it all by yourself.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 22:13:32 (permalink)
Dale,
  I have to ask... IN SLC or Ogden, Did you try "Postum" the grain-based hot drink that is officially approved by the LDS Church as a legitimate substitute for Coffee?  I mean since you were doing the regional specialty thing, I thought that perhaps you got into the 'real things'!

PS I do recall hot Postum with not too bad memories...Lots of milk and sugar can cover a lot of the "down-side"!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 22:17:46 (permalink)
Oh, Al, I remember Postum when I was a little kid. My grandmother drank it for a while before even she gave up on the stuff. I got to taste it. As I recall, that was not a pleasant experience.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/08/24 22:19:11
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 22:21:28 (permalink)
Excellent reports WJ. I'm sitting at a KOA campground in Missoula, MT right now. Gotta catch up with laundry, showers, etc. This is the first time I could get online since Wednesday since we mostly boondocked and camped in the wilderness. Even AT&T sucks big time in the West with my iPhone coverage. Lake Tahoe, Nevada and depending on your last report may be the only places we overlap.We've been to the Blackhills, Snowy Mountain Range in Wyoming, Wind River Range in Wyoming and Yellowstone so far. We are heading into the state of Washington tomorrow and zig zagging our way to Corralitos, CA by Friday afternoon. We just go where we feels like best each day. The wedding in Corralitos this Friday and Pagosa Springs, CO September 20 are the only definitely scheduled stops. We did have a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at the Mangy Moose Saloon in Riverside, WY and the porkchop sandwich at John's in Butte, MT. As for the latter, though in the Roadfood books, does not live up to its hype. It is neither a porkchop or a loin chop but is a constituted fritter that would never survive in Iowa as an offering.

As for bison. I had the meatloaf at Old Faithful Lodge but mostly they stopped traffic in both Custer State Park in SD and Yellowstone - numerous times.

Hey, I thought the Basque were in Spain. Nothing like the Hmong in St. Paul I'm sure. 
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/24 22:49:29 (permalink)
Thanks WJ!  I really enjoy your reports.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 00:00:45 (permalink)
Great report, WJ.

Now for that map!

I loved the look of your last breakfast, but I have a question:

Were those scones fried?  They look absolutely wonderful.

Enjoyed your  trip, pictures and narration.  Good job!

Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 00:52:04 (permalink)
"Hey, I thought the Basque were in Spain. Nothing like the Hmong in St. Paul I'm sure."
------

Greetings!

NEVER call a Basque spanish, or french...! (Or you will to be in deep trouble over here...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...untry_(greater_region)

CHE used to wear the trad. basque headdress, the here so called Baskenmütze, a larger and wider, earlier type of the "beret".

ETA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA

Michael

P.S I do not support the ETA.

post edited by Michael_Germany - 2009/08/25 01:12:01
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 01:27:50 (permalink)

Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 01:59:39 (permalink)
Nice photo, Bill...!

Did you look at the patch on the left arm of this man..., what does this patch tell you, "France", besides his smile, and the very nice headdress...

Probably nothing, if you are not into military history, not a shame at all, but this picture does not tell the whole story, sorry...

Michael
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 02:07:03 (permalink)
Micheal,
 The photo does tell it all if you were a fan of "Hogan's Heros" A TV Sit-Com about Allied POW's in a German POW Camp in WWII. It starred Robert Crane (RIP) and several other who became well know in TV circles (Richard Dawson for one).

The person in the photo was named "LaBeau" a French Soldier in the camp with the American and British. I do not recall the actor's real name. This program ran for several years in the 1970's if I recall correctly.
post edited by mayor al - 2009/08/25 02:09:49
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 07:06:23 (permalink)
 Hogan's Heroes ran in the mid to late sixties ( I think it premiered in the fall of 1965 ), and the character of LeBeau was played by Robert Clary, who actually did spend time in a Nazi concentration camp.    
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/08/25 07:08:41
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 07:20:31 (permalink)
WJ, spectacular report as always. Thank you for your time and effort.
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 07:23:17 (permalink)
nocarolina

Hogan's Heroes ran in the mid to late sixties ( I think it premiered in the fall of 1965 ), and the character of LeBeau was played by Robert Clary, who actually did spend time in a Nazi concentration camp.    

Nocarolina, I was just about to post this when I saw yours! I remember Robert Clary speaking about this on a talk show once and showing the tattoo on his arm.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 08:16:52 (permalink)
Mr Clary has been an active foe of the Holocaust deniers and I have heard him speak a couple times.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 08:18:11 (permalink)
Enjoyed your report so much.

I learned something new from it.  I make scones quite often and was puzzled when I saw the picture of the scone served to you.  I never realized what a Utah scone really was.  It is made completely different.  I immediately read up on them and  now have a recipe and going to make them .

Thanks for the great trip report.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 08:20:48 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

joerogo

Greymo 

Oh Dear Greymo,  If I had only knew that bothered you so much, I would have taken a chomp out of every food item I ever posted.

How better could one possibly show you for what you are? And you did it all by yourself.

Michael, Just knowing how much I aggravate you gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. 
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 09:02:23 (permalink)
Davydd

We did have a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at the Mangy Moose Saloon in Riverside, WY and the porkchop sandwich at John's in Butte, MT. As for the latter, though in the Roadfood books, does not live up to its hype. It is neither a porkchop or a loin chop but is a constituted fritter that would never survive in Iowa as an offering.

We aren't quite the BPT experts that you are Davydd, but we really enjoyed John's in Butte last year. Watching the young women in the kitchen orchestrating flawlessy while getting slammed was amazing. I  liked the pork chop, which was more like a breaded pork burger. Everything the day we were there was very well prepared and fresh.  One of the regulars there told us we needed to try the halibut sandwich when they're in season. I have to agree, though,  the original pork chop sandwich wouldn't fly in Iowa! 

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 09:23:35 (permalink)
Okay, so on what planet is that thing a scone?  It looks like an unsugared elephant ear from the state fair to me.  Is that basically what it is--does it have a flavor, like cinnamon?

I remembered Robert Clary from a wasted young teenagehood spent watching 'Days of Our Lives'--he was Robert (pronounced the French way), the designated furriner.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 13:43:50 (permalink)
joerogo

Michael Hoffman

joerogo

Greymo 

Michael, Just knowing how much I aggravate you gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. 

You give yourself credit for something that doesn't happen. I do not become aggravated by squished nighcrawlers. I merely pity them for no longer being baitworthy.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 16:40:02 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Okay, so on what planet is that thing a scone?  It looks like an unsugared elephant ear from the state fair to me. 

That UTAH SCONE #1 looks like a yummy cross  between an elephant ear and a flattened croissaint to me .....!   And  I love all that butter oozing out !
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 16:43:25 (permalink)
joerogo

Greymo 

LOL, Joe Rogo ....!
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1634
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 16:56:07 (permalink)
The shots of the Red Rocks Ampitheater stirred up a bittersweet memory for me. The sweet part was remembering seeing the late John Denver perform there, just a perfect venue for his music. The bitter part was when I remember when that concert was; August, 1979. It just seems impossible that it was 30 years ago!
post edited by cavandre - 2009/08/26 08:09:23
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 16:56:50 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Greymo
I really cannot understand why people think this makes for an appealing  food photo.

I am not sure which quote is more appropriate for this thread...

One man's junk is another man's treasure.
OR
Man cannot live on buffalo chili and Basque food alone.
I guess different folks have different views on what is pretty...or photo-worthy. 

I just LOVE those revised titles for this Rocky Mountain thread!!  cute, TRAVELIN MAN!
I'm real glad we are in agreement that it's an ongoing "process" to try and please everyone with our Trip Report photos....(a nearly impossible task , it seems)
We can have 70 positive replies, and the 71st will say "Your picture is out of focus. Please edit"...

I was amazed to read negative Roadfood.com comments regarding  that large ONION RINGS pic of me ,as it went over so well on the other websites I put it on, like FACEBOOK...
Marlene, I'm not alone in saying "You took a great pic, girl"...!  Good job, Marlene...

P.S.  Yes, I DID use a MACRO setting for that burger pic, TRAVELIN MAN...
and thanks to AYERSIAN (Chris) for the many good pointers I got from him in Northampton MA regarding that "close up" setting...  (I did'nt even realize I could use a flash for it!!! Thanks, Chris)

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 18:28:53 (permalink)
cavandre

The shots of the Red Rocks Ampitheater stirred up a bittersweet memory for me. The sweet part was remembering seeing the late John Denver perform there, just a perfect venue for his music. The bitter part was when I remember when that concert was; August, 1979. It just seem possible that it was 30 years ago!
It seems incredible that The Day The Music Died is over 50 years ago now.

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 19:30:02 (permalink)

It's all in the way you look at things.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies 2009 Part 6 updated 8/21 2009/08/25 20:13:16 (permalink)
mar52

It's all in the way you look at things.

That is the absolute best! :-)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1