Rocky Mountain Oysters

Author
dbplayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/11/28 15:47:02 (permalink)

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Now that Bruce's Bar in Severance, Co is no longer, where can I get a "fix" for my prairie oyster cravings? I see a place in Cody, Wy or Cedar City, Ut...but are they GOOD?

14 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/28 16:06:46 (permalink)
    prairie nut hut-Altoona, ks
    right, Keith?
    http://www.kansastravel.org/prairienuthut.htm

did you try the frog legs?

ADD: I've just got to say, isn't that an almost perfect menu?
    Green Chili Burgers, nuts, and Okra, Livers, frog legs, and whatever Texas Toothpicks are?
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 10:51:18 (permalink)
    Bill, thanks to you, I'll go out of my way to visit the Prairie Nut Hut! I've only ever had them at Cattleman's Steak House in OKC (they called 'em lamb fries), and I'll get them every time without fail -- absolutely delicious.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 11:02:31 (permalink)
    I've had them once before in Montana.
    I hope to "experience" them next year on my ballpark trip to Colorado.
    There is actually a place outside of Denver- possibly near Golden, that serves 'em topped with Green Chile- can't get more "Colorado" than that!
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 13:58:56 (permalink)
    I only worked one place that served them. SOmetimes they where lamb and sometimes beef depending on availability. The The lamb were a light pinkish and the size of an avacado and the beef were a liver color about like a medium eggplant. If you ever prep them make sure the are still firm from the freezer. Otherwise skinning is a hassle. Also holding when they are thawed gives me goose bumps and your hands get all slimey and bloody. I hated doing it until I had to prep them half frozen in an emergency. Makes it a lttle bit better. There was a buul roarer outside the kitchen and the gorls got to try to make a mournful wail before they ran them out, lol
    britt
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 16:55:24 (permalink)
    But what do they taste like?
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 17:45:05 (permalink)
    Robearjr, They don't "taste like chicken", much better! When living in Amarillo, Tx. during the late 70's(feed lots in abundance) we did a twice a year "calf fry" for co-workers and friends. Big hit! Breaded and deep fried, served with sides much like you'd expect at a BBQ joint. Seemed to me everyone enjoyed, particularly the ladies. I have some frozen Alligator balls in the freezer, think I'll cook some up in a couple days. Tomorrow night its Jamaican Jerk chicken, wild rice and sauteed veggies. Tonight, homemade beef, barley and veg. soup, fresh cornbread, butter and molasses.
    Retirement is a beautiful thing!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 18:08:49 (permalink)
    Robearjr, with all due respect to Rouxdog, they do taste a bit like chicken, at least in terms of texture. I recall their taste a bit nutty (absolutely no pun intended), like alligator. There's no gamey aftertaste like wild meat, and they're not chewy like goat. Cattleman's in OKC used an excellent batter, and that's what made it for me. But I'd figure it's like anything fried: some places have superior ones, others not so much.
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 18:17:58 (permalink)
    One of my co-workers is a farm boy from Ashe County, NC and he and I will often get into discussions of Southern cuisine. We were talking about chitterlins today. Robin, a real Yankee from Vermont, asked us if chitterlins were like mountain oysters. Todd looked at her and said "They're close! About four inches".
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 21:06:18 (permalink)
    The Buckhorn Exchange and The Fort
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/29 21:50:27 (permalink)
    The buck horn was the place I worked at. We went thru about 20 orders aaaaaaaaaon a week nite. The taste is more like a liver than anything else. The serving usually comes with "ball sauce"(Im not kidding.It used to be made by Beaver brand(the horeseraddish guys).
    They were much more selicate when sauteed but when it got busy they wee very delicate and the breading had a tendency to fall off. The deep fry was used when the owner wasnt around,lol. We did get compaints that the lamb fries were gamey tasting, I tried a tiny oeice of the beef jut to see what all the fuss was about. It was machismo. The same guys who ordered the rattlesnake stuffed mushrooms.
    britt
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/30 11:55:24 (permalink)
    I will return to the Nut Hut. After two visits, I've liked everything I've tried. Their burgers are the best

Seabrook Tavern in Topeka, KS also has mountain oysters and hamburgers up to 3lbs in size. This location isn't quite as cool, but being within a few miles of I-70, may be handier for someone to visit.

Jumpin' Catfish in Olathe, KS has removed mountain oysters from the menu, but sitll has frog leggs, quail and elk.

As far as eating them... at the Nut Hut they are similar in texture and appearance to fried chicken gizzards. At Seabrook, the appearance, taste & texture actually made me think of real fried oysters.

Keith
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/30 12:26:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sfreader

I will return to the Nut Hut. After two visits, I've liked everything I've tried. Their burgers are the best

Seabrook Tavern in Topeka, KS also has mountain oysters and hamburgers up to 3lbs in size. This location isn't quite as cool, but being within a few miles of I-70, may be handier for someone to visit.

Jumpin' Catfish in Olathe, KS has removed mountain oysters from the menu, but sitll has frog leggs, quail and elk.

As far as eating them... at the Nut Hut they are similar in texture and appearance to fried chicken gizzards. At Seabrook, the appearance, taste & texture actually made me think of real fried oysters.

Keith

The best thing about the nuthut is it's beer selection. Big and bigger; and all the
    People's brands! Bud, Miller, and Coors
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/30 13:18:00 (permalink)
    When we first moved to Dallas from NYC in 1963, we were taken to a great steak house here called, Cattleman's. They are since, long gone.
    However, they had "mountain oysters" on the menu and, without actually knowing what they were, I ordered them as an appetizer.
    I loved them! They reminded me of liver. When I found out (at the table) what they were, I kinda went, "whoa". But had no problem eating them thereafter.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    RE: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2007/11/30 13:33:21 (permalink)
    That's exactly what they tasted like to me- fried chicken livers
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1