Rogue Chocolate Stout

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2008/12/05 13:16:07 (permalink)

Rogue Chocolate Stout

If you're traveling through NE PA, this is available in 22 oz bottles at Wegman's, visible from I-81.

Gotta say I didn't care for this. I don't know what I was thinking even buying it. It's like putting a spoonful of chocolate syrup into a perfectly good beer. Whatever complexity the stout itself has is lost in the cocoa.

YMMV, as always. And I'm not completely against flavored beers; I just didn't think this was a good match.

6 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/05 20:42:10 (permalink)
    Mosca,
    I think Trappeze (bar on West Washington Street here in Athens) has this in stock. I'm going there in 19 minutes or thereabouts; shall I bypass it, have one for you, or inhabit some space in between?
    Less Stoutly, Nowhere-Near-Skinny Ort. Carlton in Phat Athens, Georgia.
    crew84row
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/05 21:07:59 (permalink)
    Chocolate stout is definitely an aquired taste. I like the one put out by Bells but it's not on my shopping list. Maybe a bottle every so often to fill out a mixed six pack.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/06 12:09:16 (permalink)
    Ort., if you are going back there (I missed you by some 15 hours or so;!), I wouldn't discourage you from trying it. People at Beer Advocate are quite split opinionated about it, with those liking it loving it, and those hating it drain-pouring it. I was close to drain-pouring it. The only reason I didn't was out of a sense of thrift. It WAS paid-for beer, after all.

I'm sure the Brutal Bitter will be better brew.
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/06 14:37:40 (permalink)
    I like it but I tend to mix it in on one of my theme days...all Rogue products, or just dessert type beers (for me anyway) like rogue chocolate followed by some samual smith oatmeal stout, etc.

brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/06 15:25:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca
    People at Beer Advocate are quite split opinionated about it, with those liking it loving it, and those hating it drain-pouring it.

Rogue Chocolate Stout is currently rated #79 in the Top 100 beers in the world on Beer Advocate. I would hardly call that "split opinionated." There may be some that don't like it but the consensus on that site is that it is a great brew.

I haven't tasted it so I don't have a personal opinion.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rogue Chocolate Stout 2008/12/06 23:33:18 (permalink)
    Brentk,

You didn't read what I wrote correctly. Those who hate it really hate it. Those who love it really love it. I stand by my opinion; I don't like it, and I don't understand how someone could like it. I would have drainpoured it, except that I'd already paid for it and didn't want to open a bottle of something else. My opinion is that the Alstroms rated it highly, and a lot of people bought it and decided that that must be what good beer tastes like, and they wanted to write something on the internet.

I wouldn't at all call it a consensus, with all the negatives. I suggest you try it and get back to me.

(edited after a nights rest after a bad day)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1