Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2442
2009/10/23 19:23:48 (permalink)

Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away

I just heard the news from my friend Ian who had first told me about Roadfood and of Herr Babiel's cart.  I only had the privilege and meeting him a few times, but he was one of those people that was hard to forget.  He brought great joy, great humor and great food to many hungry NYers and I know that his personality touched me in such a way that I'll still be talking about it for years to come.  I feel very sad right now.  Thanks for the memories, Rolf.

http://midtownlunch.com/2...lf-babiel-passes-away/ 

My trip to the wurst cart last year:  http://www.roadfood.com/F...397004&high=berlin  

post edited by billyboy - 2009/10/23 19:31:32

4 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away 2009/10/23 21:20:25 (permalink)
    Rolf brought updated ideas about German cuisine to New York, giving an alternative to fossilized German restaurants. May Rolf R.I.P.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away 2009/10/24 05:48:22 (permalink)
    Rolph's good, affordable food -- and his larger-than-life personality -- made the corner of 5th Avenue and 54th street a premier Roadfood destination. The taste of New York will be poorer for his passing.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away 2009/10/25 15:43:52 (permalink)
    I went up to NYC for my birthday weekend last month to overdose on Yankees baseball and I made it a point to hit up Hallo Berlin because I'd heard about it for so long.  I got the double soul food combo and a Saranac root beer (thanks for the tip, Billy).  OMG, it was fabulous, although I didn't do the street eating thing and instead took it back to my hotel room.  A guy ahead of me in line said something about Rolf being sick because Wolfgang had been working the cart by himself for a while.  By all accounts Wolfgang's going to keep everything going so Rolf's creation will live on. 
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Rolf Babiel of NYC's Hall Berlin and Hallo Berlin wurst cart has passed away 2009/10/26 09:47:05 (permalink)
    I work just a few blocks from the Hallo Berlin cart, and I've been eating there for more than 15 years.  I'm happy that the business will continue, but Rolf will be terribly missed in the neighborhood.  To quote myself from the boards at midtownlunch.com, "(Hallo Berlin is the) greatest street cart in history- period. Rolf worked very hard, sold a fantastic product, made a lot of people happy, and always seemed to have a good time doing it. THAT’S how to run a business. Very sad news"
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1