Rolled Tacos from SanDiego

Author
mexyum
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/03/02 15:24:47 (permalink)

Rolled Tacos from SanDiego

I spent a summer in San Diego back in 1988 and fell in love with the rolled tacos. I live in Michigan and have been looking for something comparable here ever since. I believe the restaurant I frequented was in National City. The place had big painted windows. Anyway, you got a tray of 5 large fried rolled tacos absolutely covered with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I still remember the cost: $1.88
My wife and I are planing a trip out there in a year or two and I'm sooooo looking forward to trying them again. Does anyone in Cali take a shining to these? Let me know!

Thanks, Brian

10 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/03/04 01:27:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mexyum

I spent a summer in San Diego back in 1988 and fell in love with the rolled tacos. I live in Michigan and have been looking for something comparable here ever since. I believe the restaurant I frequented was in National City. The place had big painted windows. Anyway, you got a tray of 5 large fried rolled tacos absolutely covered with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I still remember the cost: $1.88
    My wife and I are planing a trip out there in a year or two and I'm sooooo looking forward to trying them again. Does anyone in Cali take a shining to these? Let me know!

Thanks, Brian

Look up Chicos on Division street (by 36th)... They'll probably take care of ya! I believe they're called Taquitos..
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/03/04 01:38:51 (permalink)
    They are availible in nearly every Mexican resturant in San Diego. It is the best cheapest lunch in town. When you get closer to your trip repost and I cn give you some ideas. The places change hands all the time and the quality changes each time.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/03/04 08:56:58 (permalink)
    Many in this neck of the woods call those “flautas”, but others call them taquitos. Normally they are filled with chicken, but you can find them with beef or pork.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7775
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 18:57:06 (permalink)
    Flautas are made with flour torillas, where tacquitos are made with the corn.

If you have a Sam's or Costco, look in the frozen food section. They sell big boxes or bags or both chicken and beef. I prefer the beef.

The number one place for tacquitos is Celito Linda in Olverva Street... Los Angeles.

After finishing them, go down the street for a French Dip at Phillipes!

I usually have the tacquitos for my dessert.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 20:01:01 (permalink)
    There is a shop in the Rancho Bernardo section of San Diego that even does fish taquitos--cabbage takes the place of lettuce and they use the same white sauce as in fish tacos in place of sour cream. Yummmm
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 21:23:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

There is a shop in the Rancho Bernardo section of San Diego that even does fish taquitos--cabbage takes the place of lettuce and they use the same white sauce as in fish tacos in place of sour cream. Yummmm

That does sound tasty! Never seen or heard of anything like that in this neck of the woods...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 21:25:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mar52

Flautas are made with flour torillas, where tacquitos are made with the corn.

If you have a Sam's or Costco, look in the frozen food section. They sell big boxes or bags or both chicken and beef. I prefer the beef.

The number one place for tacquitos is Celito Linda in Olverva Street... Los Angeles.

After finishing them, go down the street for a French Dip at Phillipes!

I usually have the tacquitos for my dessert.

Corn does sound like the better idea! But around here (West Michigan), they use the flour shells for Taquitos...
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 23:22:30 (permalink)
    Where I live, flautas are never made with flour tortillas, only corn. Tacquitos aren't always rolled, in fact, very seldom are. It usually refers to a small, soft corn tortilla filled with a small amount of something. Not a big production number covered with mounds of shredded iceberg and cheese.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 23:57:00 (permalink)
    The best taquitos I ever had were from a little corner tacoria in Tula, Mexico. I had just walked down into town from the mountain ruins of ancient tula and was hungry and thirsty. Had a big plate full of the tastiest beef taquitos and a couple big glasses of natural fruit juice flavored with hibiscus blossoms.
    Mmmm, mmm, good. I can still taste those crunchy delicacies.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Rolled Tacos from SanDiego 2005/04/29 23:59:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

Fish tacos are great. Seems to be a California and Baja thing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1