Rolling Stones Tickets

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
2005/05/21 14:20:25 (permalink)

Rolling Stones Tickets

So I'm looking at tickets on ebay. Minnesota has some law that you're not supposed to pay over face value. Obviously you would be paying far more than that on ebay. Do I have to worry about this? Can they "bust me" somehow? Does anyone have experience in this area?

Theedge

44 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 15:13:28 (permalink)
    Dont know about that---but i hope your ready to $PEND---just saw 2 tics go for the 1st show at Fenway Park---13th row--face value with tax and fees NINEHUNDRED FIFTYTHREE DOLLARS!!! I do beleive that they just may be the graeatest rocknroll band in the world---but they can rock without me this time! seen the 3 times---Free at Altamont---$17.50 in San Diego---and $40 in the Bay area---add all that up and it wont pay for the beer at todays shows!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18649
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 15:36:18 (permalink)
    Isn't a rolling stone something that gathers no moss?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 15:41:48 (permalink)

Two points... One of the criteria for selecting locations for the concert stops on this tour was the number of available Handicapped Parking slots available within 'walker' range of the ramp entrance. Sheesch, these guys will be drawing crowds from the nursing homes this time !!!
    Re the scalping thing. One of my sons has season tickets for several of the NASCAR venues. They have the rule that you can't 'scalp' the tickets you get...or you lose your season ticket privilige. What seems to be an accepted way to get around the rule is to sell some related item, like a matchbox car with the number '3' (or whatever) on it for the amount you want for the ticket and then throw the ticket in for less than face value... Example I sell you the toy car as a collectible for $900 and will include my two tickets to section 9 row 55 seats A and B as a bonus for one dollar.

In the case of your concert ticket, there is always the possibility of a sting operation by the Law, but more common is a scam of counterfeit tickets by rip-off artists. Buying on EBay can be a good experience, but do your homework on the seller before forking out big-bucks.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3544
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 15:56:27 (permalink)
    Practically every state has a law that says they are not allowed to charge over face value for the tickets. Virtually no one has ever bought tickets on eBay for the face value or less, there is always another bunch of money tacked on. As the buyer, you aren't responsible for any penalties or fines if the seller is charging more than face value.

Definitely check the seller's feedback before you bid some huge amount of money, though.
    scarletfire
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 16:48:34 (permalink)
    hiya there!

Just thought I'd let you know that you definately should use some caution when selling tickets on ebay, especially in Minnesota... I am from the twin cities and have been an avid buyer/seller on Ebay for several years now...

I have sold and bought tickets on Ebay, MOSTLY with good results however, i have been severely overcharged. Last fall my boyfriend and I purchased 2 tickets for Phish's last performance. They were originally $150 tickets(each)and we ended up paying $800 for 2. We didn't really mind paying that because we dropped the ball and didn't order on time and we were not going to miss this event... The down side was that when we recieved the tickets and got to the event, it was only ONE TICKET! It sure looked like a set but it wasn't. luckily, 100 more tickets were released at the box office at the last minute and we were still able to attend. I called the seller from the venue (as we knew he was attending as well) and demanded a refund. He started to refuse until I threatened to contact the state of Vermont's General Attorney and he quickly changed his tune... It turned out ok in the end but... the bottom line is that scalping IS illegal and I have heard of stories of people selling tickets and having the buyers turn them in after for breaking scalping laws. In the future, I will not sell tickets to an even in my home state for an event in my home state for more than face value... Secret, I had my friend - who lives in wisconsin sell those types of tickets for me as she was not breaking in-state laws... Ebay tickets is currently modifying thier 'rules' etc to stop exorbant prices... scalping sucks but it's pretty difficult NOT to end up scalping on Ebay as the buyers are the ones who are driving the prices up... what a quandry... regardless, just use common sense, caution and, as someone already said, be sure to check the buyers/sellers feedback carefully. I find that to be the most important. someone who really wants the tix with a perfect track record is unlikely to rip you off or turn you in.

Good luck and feel free to email me with any questions on Ebay if you may need!! I don't mind helping another fellow roadfooder!!!!

scarletfire of Mpls.....
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 18:03:17 (permalink)
    tiki, WOW!!....Saw the Stones at Altamont Speedway!...I am really impressed....Most certain, the best lineup the Stones ever had (w/ exception to Brian of course)....Can you remember Gram Parsons and the Flying Burritos playing that day?.......Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 18:03:57 (permalink)
    1) Have you tried Craig's List (www.craigslist.com) for tickets? I haven't checked, but assume they cover the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. If you're not familiar with CL, it offers all kinds of goods and services that individuals buy and sell.

2) Michael, I know we joke about your popular culture indifference, but I PRAY that you actually have at least heard of the Rolling Stones. Humor me, at least....
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 19:46:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Two points... One of the criteria for selecting locations for the concert stops on this tour was the number of available Handicapped Parking slots available within 'walker' range of the ramp entrance. Sheesch, these guys will be drawing crowds from the nursing homes this time !!!

I am wondering. Just what is your problem with having disabled people having access to these concerts? Or are you saying that the "Rolling Stones fan's are an old bunch of people?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 19:56:31 (permalink)
    quote:

Re the scalping thing. One of my sons has season tickets for several of the NASCAR venues. They have the rule that you can't 'scalp' the tickets you get...or you lose your season ticket privilige. What seems to be an accepted way to get around the rule is to sell some related item, like a matchbox car with the number '3' (or whatever) on it for the amount you want for the ticket and then throw the ticket in for less than face value... Example I sell you the toy car as a collectible for $900 and will include my two tickets to section 9 row 55 seats A and B as a bonus for one dollar.

In the case of your concert ticket, there is always the possibility of a sting operation by the Law, but more common is a scam of counterfeit tickets by rip-off artists. Buying on EBay can be a good experience, but do your homework on the seller before forking out big-bucks.

Am I getting a hint here that you collect Matchbox cars???

(I do...)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 20:36:59 (permalink)
    CK-
    It was a joke , OK? I am saying -in jest- that the Rolling Stones fans are not in the usual "Rocker Gang" age bracket.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 20:53:28 (permalink)
    quote:

CK-
    It was a joke , OK? I am saying -in jest- that the Rolling Stones fans are not in the usual "Rocker Gang" age bracket.

No problem...........I guess that as someone having had to cope with someone confined to a wheelchair, that I might tend to be over sensitive when it comes to public places and events being accessible.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/21 23:12:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

tiki, WOW!!....Saw the Stones at Altamont Speedway!...I am really impressed....Most certain, the best lineup the Stones ever had (w/ exception to Brian of course)....Can you remember Gram Parsons and the Flying Burritos playing that day?.......Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.

Tippy & tiki, didn't seee that show, but I(probabaly zataar too) saw
    Mick Taylor come on stage at the 1981 tour and play a couple of songs with his former mates, as he was in town to play a concert in KC the NEXT night. One of my most memorable concert moments.
    I still remember hanging out all night to get Stones tickets in the early '70's in front of Municipal Auditorium in downtown KC, their first time there. We OWNED the downtown that night, playing frisbee and camping out on the steps. Still imprinted in my brain.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/22 10:30:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

to be honest---it WAS the "sixties"---so i DONT remember much ---except for the part about trying to get the heck out of there!!!!!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/22 11:54:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Theedge Posted - 05/21/2005 : 14:20:25
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I'm looking at tickets on ebay. Minnesota has some law that you're not supposed to pay over face value. Obviously you would be paying far more than that on ebay. Do I have to worry about this? Can they "bust me" somehow? Does anyone have experience in this area?

I truly believe that you or any one else for that matter should be arrested just for having Rolling Stones tickets in your possession..............
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/22 12:34:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    Theedge Posted - 05/21/2005 : 14:20:25
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I truly believe that you or any one else for that matter should be arrested just for having Rolling Stones tickets in your possession..............

Must be an old Beatles fan!
    Theedge
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/22 17:48:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the replies. I haven't decided if I want to shell out that kind of dough or not..just spent a bundle of some nice tickets for Paul McCartney. Saw Clapton from row 4 a few months back, can't say I was that impressed. It's still my intention to see Pete Townshend up close, I think The Who ought to call it quits, but I love Pete's playing. So many people to see before their dead.

Funny story; My co-workers dad spent 15 minutes talking to Robert Plant the other week in Mexico. He didn't even realize who he was talking to until Robert left and some people told him.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 00:04:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Theedge Posted - 05/22/2005 : 17:48:22
    Thanks for all of the replies. I haven't decided if I want to shell out that kind of dough or not..just spent a bundle of some nice tickets for Paul McCartney. Saw Clapton from row 4 a few months back, can't say I was that impressed. It's still my intention to see Pete Townshend up close, I think The Who ought to call it quits, but I love Pete's playing. So many people to see before their dead.

Funny story; My co-workers dad spent 15 minutes talking to Robert Plant the other week in Mexico. He didn't even realize who he was talking to until Robert left and some people told him.

Who's Robert Plant ............ ??
    I know who Peter Townshend is, he's the dashing RAF fighter pilot that ones dated Princess Margaret ...........right?
    And didn't you mean Charley McCartney as in Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy,..... Yes, you must have meant Charlie not Paul because Charlie tickets would be very pricey and hard to get. As for Clapton the French horn player, well sorry to report he is no longer with the Chicago Symphony so I don't know if we'll ever hear his performance again. Those Symphony tickets were always so hard to get.....
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 00:16:58 (permalink)
    Frank ,next are you going to complain that those moptop lads from Liverpool should get haircuts? I'll write more after I get done watching the Garry Moore show. Incidentally, in case you haven't heard, rock's already been dead for 10 or 15 years.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 00:49:01 (permalink)
    I only buy tickets from Ticketmaster the day they go onsale, that way I don't have to worry about some guy online ripping me off... and I always get excellent seats.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 00:55:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Incidentally, in case you haven't heard, rock's already been dead for 10 or 15 years.

There's a large group of people out there who think rock began with Meet the Beatles and ended with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

These people are roughly equivalent to the folks who think Olive Garden makes a fine Italian meal.
    snoby
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 08:20:24 (permalink)
    I worked at Shindig a 60's weekly rock show. One week the stones performed My Little Red Rooseter, To me it was one of the best performances ever. They also introduced Satisfaction that week. Who knew? I won't pay redicules prices for performances. We attended the Allen Jackson show in Vegas last month. We paid $80.00 a ticket.
    Theedge
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 10:52:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    I only buy tickets from Ticketmaster the day they go onsale, that way I don't have to worry about some guy online ripping me off... and I always get excellent seats.

I tried that with U2. It took 15 minutes for ticketmasters computer to locate available seats, by then everything any good was gone. Anything past row 30 is a waste of time. Heck even if you're in row 20 you can end up with a tall fellow in front of you that wrecks the whole night.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 11:00:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Incidentally, in case you haven't heard, rock's already been dead for 10 or 15 years.

There's a large group of people out there who think rock began with Meet the Beatles and ended with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

These people are roughly equivalent to the folks who think Olive Garden makes a fine Italian meal.

LOL!!!!!! funny---but very true!!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 11:03:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

quote:

I tried that with U2. It took 15 minutes for ticketmasters computer to locate available seats, by then everything any good was gone. Anything past row 30 is a waste of time. Heck even if you're in row 20 you can end up with a tall fellow in front of you that wrecks the whole night.

Sorry to hear that.. I've not had that experience yet..
    Theedge
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 11:04:16 (permalink)
    I'm open minded. What 20-30 year old rocker out there is worth listening to? Nothing current seems to "wow" me. No "jam" bands please.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 11:12:37 (permalink)
    current bands worth listening to and seeing a concert spectacle are two different things. This seems a repeat of the last few tours, for both The rolling stones and U2, so my enthusiasm is missing. I saw the last tour of each, and they were excellent, but these seem more a rehash than a true event. I was listening to someone who flew over to see the Cream reunion show. It fulfilled all his expectations, even at the $$$$ he paid for the ticket. Now that was special!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 14:47:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

I'm open minded. What 20-30 year old rocker out there is worth listening to? Nothing current seems to "wow" me. No "jam" bands please.

Well, other than the obvious fact that you like U2, based on your name, what sort of thing do you like?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 15:33:19 (permalink)
    Theedge---theres LOTSnof great bands out there doing great music--there just isnt any way to HEAR them---now that the radio market place is sewed up by a SMALL handfull of groups that also own the venues--ie Clear channel---unless you have deal with THEM---ie play at my vaenue at my price or dont get airplay on my radio stations!---then your stuck---more and more of the best music is now only available on line--podcasting is coming on HUGE--and you dont really need an ipod to hear them --theres lots of it on line. In the past bands had access to local radio staiond that --like the old vaudeville circuit before them--gave young artists a place to learn their trade--that is gone now with the advent of corporate radio--ie all clear channel staions have the SAME playlist-combine all this with the fact theat the music club scene is in a reapid decline(dui laws--and several other factors contributing)and you have a situation where bands have a hard time being heard. But then the pendulum always swings both ways--artists will find a way to be heard and once again there will be a "new wave" or next wave of bands to fill the void. I for one think podcasting is going to grow big time!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rolling Stones Tickets 2005/05/23 16:38:45 (permalink)
    tiki, there was just a neat feature today on "morning edition" about the future of podcasting.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4661213
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1