Hot!Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 04:21:35 (permalink)

What do you call it when these louvered vent coverings have that deeper top than bottom thing going on? Seems like that would be best for keeping rain out. I am trying to search for these kinds of wall mounted vents but the best I can find is just a shallow metal ones.
Alternatively, there is this kind of design:

Minus the cylinder of course. But you get the idea. Angled covering to protect from elements and exhaust diverted downwards. I would think there would be less restricted flow in the first example up top. If I could be assured they would keep the water out in a variety of weather and transportation situations, I'd love to go with that.

If anyone has run across a source for these types of vent covers (The ones on the truck up top running in series), please let me know.

Could the tilt just be a normal vent with a custom fabricated duct to get the angle? 
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2111
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 07:13:16 (permalink)
Those look like they were custom made by a sheet metal shop and are easy made.   The pictured louvers in the top pic are 'fixed' type.   I don't see an insect screen, which I believe would be needed too.    ... You can have a frame made then mount 'off-the-shelf' louvers in.

I think operable louvers would be better for your application.  When the fan is not running the louvers are closed keeping rain, birds & insects out.
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 08:46:31 (permalink)
where are the closing louvered vents sold?? Prices? also MOST important, how are they cleaned of grease cause most cleaners will clean off expensive grafix in seconds OR do damage over short time,..? are the ones on movie trucks installed with some kind of grease filter other than the ones in the hood itself. we all know these hood filters dont trap all the grease, eh?

kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 09:47:38 (permalink)
I found and was going to use a single panel exaust louver from Grainger when my plan was to vent my hood out the side. Go to Graingers website and search for exaust shutters, wall shutters, exhaust louvers etc. You'll find some good stuff. The exhaust shutter I was going to use isn't angled but i've seen pics of these exact shutters in pics of other pro built food trucks.
DWags541

What do you call it when these louvered vent coverings have that deeper top than bottom thing going on? Seems like that would be best for keeping rain out. I am trying to search for these kinds of wall mounted vents but the best I can find is just a shallow metal ones.
Alternatively, there is this kind of design:

Minus the cylinder of course. But you get the idea. Angled covering to protect from elements and exhaust diverted downwards. I would think there would be less restricted flow in the first example up top. If I could be assured they would keep the water out in a variety of weather and transportation situations, I'd love to go with that.

If anyone has run across a source for these types of vent covers (The ones on the truck up top running in series), please let me know.

Could the tilt just be a normal vent with a custom fabricated duct to get the angle? 

kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 09:56:20 (permalink)
Check out Grainger and search for single panel wall exhaust shutter. A 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" is $33. The louvers shut automatically with no air pressure and open when there is. You would just either screw it directly to your rig or a frame you build and attach to your rig first then you could easily remove it to clean it. Since I am now going to roof mount my 12 volt fan I am thinking of going with a Broan Wall Cap. It has built in back flow prevention flapper and bird screen ( although I may add some smaller mesh screen for insects). THese are what is used on houses for your oven range exhaust and bathroom exhaust fans. Grainger has them but I also found them at Menards and are much cheaper there.
Bistro a go-go

where are the closing louvered vents sold?? Prices? also MOST important, how are they cleaned of grease cause most cleaners will clean off expensive grafix in seconds OR do damage over short time,..? are the ones on movie trucks installed with some kind of grease filter other than the ones in the hood itself. we all know these hood filters dont trap all the grease, eh?

edwmax
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 10:06:01 (permalink)
Bistro a go-go

WW Grainger    .... Mcmaster-Carr  ... any place that sells exhaust fans should have the louver, and/or sell fan & louver as a package.

For grease put a drip angle at the bottom of the louver to direct the grease away from the side of the trailer/truck; and, slope the duct work so the grease will flow back to the hood drip tray.     ... Also, the duct is required to be accessible for cleaning.  Most likely this can be done from the inside while cleaning the hood. If not the louver needs to be removed to clean the duct & louver.
post edited by edwmax - 2012/03/15 10:08:56
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 12:58:03 (permalink)
i wonder what the big louver is covering below the angled ones?  thanks for the info. regards, mark
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 12:58:03 (permalink)
i wonder what the big louver is covering below the angled ones?  thanks for the info. regards, mark
DWags541
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/15 18:49:22 (permalink)

What is a backdraft damper? Does it achieve the same thing as a shutter?
I am not sure of the terminology, but I wouldn't want the get something where the flaps open against the exhaust flow.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/16 09:06:23 (permalink)
I just got one of the then returned it. You would install it under a fan with the fan discharging out. When the fan is off it prevents outside air back drafting into the interior space. If I had a thicker ceiling I would have been able to use it. They make one for a wall and one for a ceiling / roof. Although the depth is only like an inch and a half once the damper opens its like 2 3/4" deep.
DWags541

I am not sure of the terminology, but I wouldn't want the get something where the flaps open against the exhaust flow.

DWags541
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/18 02:32:40 (permalink)
kingofcreams

I just got one of the then returned it. You would install it under a fan with the fan discharging out. When the fan is off it prevents outside air back drafting into the interior space. If I had a thicker ceiling I would have been able to use it. They make one for a wall and one for a ceiling / roof. Although the depth is only like an inch and a half once the damper opens its like 2 3/4" deep.
DWags541

Well, your description matches what I suspected it would be and a contender for what I will use. Do I understand you correctly in that you said you purchased a vent like this and returned it? If so, why? Is your ventilation on the side or roof?
Jackcon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 16:45:10 (permalink)
kingofcreams

Check out Grainger and search for single panel wall exhaust shutter. A 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" is $33. The louvers shut automatically with no air pressure and open when there is. You would just either screw it directly to your rig or a frame you build and attach to your rig first then you could easily remove it to clean it. Since I am now going to roof mount my 12 volt fan I am thinking of going with a Broan Wall Cap. It has built in back flow prevention flapper and bird screen ( although I may add some smaller mesh screen for insects). THese are what is used on houses for your oven range exhaust and bathroom exhaust fans. Grainger has them but I also found them at Menards and are much cheaper there.
Bistro a go-go

What size of wire mesh and/or wire screen would you usually use in this situation?  I would imagine the mesh is going to be really fine if it can keep insects from getting inside of it?  Would you say like a 50 x 50 wire mesh would do the trick?  Or do you have to go even finer?
Infor on 50 mesh:
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 17:51:26 (permalink)
Why would you have to put wire mesh on an exhaust system?
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 18:14:12 (permalink)
bird and bug protection

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 18:39:26 (permalink)
I have never had any bugs come thru my roof exhaust system and no birds LOL. Why are the side vents with flaps more likely to have those problems?
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 19:04:31 (permalink)
if you have a roof mounted exhaust ( bell exhaust ) you should have a bug screen from the factory already installed,  The vent flaps are loose and they can and will flap open if the wind hits it the right way.  Plus it's a health dept thing. No openings bigger than 1/4 "
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 19:09:43 (permalink)
Some health department rules are goofy and that's one of them. A fly will come in a 1/4 inch hole in a heartbeat. Or ants what ever.
OK just wondered but I'm not putting one (screen) on. Seems to be a great place to trap a lot of grease. I won't unless they press me on it. lol
edwmax
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/28 21:23:31 (permalink)
You normally don't need a bug screen on operable louvers (back-draft louver). Bug or birds are not going to fly in while the fan is running; and the louvers will not be open if the fan is off.   ... But open fixed-louvers would need bug screens.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/03/29 11:59:28 (permalink)
Yes I returned it to Grainger. Originally I was going to mount it on the side but then ended up mounting it on the roof. The Roof cap I endup up using has a built in flapper 
DWags541

kingofcreams

DWags541

Well, your description matches what I suspected it would be and a contender for what I will use. Do I understand you correctly in that you said you purchased a vent like this and returned it? If so, why? Is your ventilation on the side or roof?

Sapphirebistro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/01 01:09:36 (permalink)
I'm really leaning towards back mount fan because of my hood and because I have a window all ready there .
PurpleCheetah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/05 16:16:14 (permalink)
If I used this exhaust fan mounted on the side of my truck, could I use just 1 or would I need 2?
total btu's 215,000:

http://www.neobits.com/tp..._p1581594.html?atc=gbs

I would be mounting it inside my hood from hoodmart
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/05 17:08:37 (permalink)
PC,
That is a neat looking unit, made by TPI but the add doesn't tell you the amount of cubic feet of air it will put out per minute. And that is what will tell you if it will remove your exhaust and or keep your trailer or truck cool in the hot months.

I called them (their number was on the page you linked) and this web site is just a retailer for lots of other companies, so this is not who you want to buy from. I also found out it moves 1600 FPM which is ok.

But again don't buy from someone that sells all kinds of junk and expect to get any service after you bought it. They don't even carry it in stock.

They would only tell me it was made by TPI and their site is
http://www.tpicorp.com/ you need to download the catalog and or call them and find out if they do internet sales or  who will be your cheapest retailer.
Now one more question why didn't you do all this research? It only took 15 minutes?????
PurpleCheetah
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/05 18:35:20 (permalink)
I did actually, I talk to prosupply ( another website that had the fan )and they gave me the phone number to TPI Corp who directed me to the catalog ( page 21-22) I looked at the catalog and found most info I needed ....however I can not find enough info on how to convert the BTU to CFM part. I did read this whole thread and got a round about figure as to the CFM from there so I could go off that I guess. http://www.prosupplyco.com/ceseries-3.aspx  has the fans for the cheapest I have found. TPI gave me phone numbers for retailer's close to me where I could go pick it up, but they are all closed for the day so I'll try tomorrow and check prices there.

I really do try to find things out on my own but sometimes I need another opinion ( or reassurance you could say) because I don't want to end up with another case of more than I need or wrong thing, or paying someone commission on a sale for selling me to much stuff that I didn't really need, or over thinking a simple situation........I guess I should just get two fans and at least have more than I need than less.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/05 19:58:58 (permalink)
"how to convert the BTU to CFM part"

Glad to hear you did your home work Congrats on that.

You can't convert BTUs to CFM, that's like converting ice to gallons per hour from a pump. But I need to know what your biggest concern is? Are you just trying to pull the grease and smoke out or are you looking to cool your trailer or both?

Write down your total BTUs, the sq footage of the unit, and fresh air intake= sq footage of the windows or doors that will remain open, but screened and call Ventilation Direct at the number listed on the top of this web page. Ask them what size fan you need for your operation. I think you'll find they are great to work with and have the cheapest prices in the country. I have dealt with them on 2 different units.

There site is
http://www.ventilationdir...gList.asp?cattypeid=39

They will do the math and calculate the proper exhaust fan you need and it will be correct and you'll stop worrying. LMAO.
jack
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/04/05 20:42:45
PurpleCheetah
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/04/06 22:09:36 (permalink)
Thanks DoB I got in to late to call them today but I'll try Sat. or Monday...I am trying to do both Cool and degrease
Linairs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/07/18 16:17:55 (permalink)
I've been trying to research the side wall venting configuration. Can't find anything. So has anyone done this right? I have a hood that came out of a restaurant. Can I use it or do I need a special hood made for wall exhaust?
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/07/18 17:27:37 (permalink)
Linairs I've been trying to research the side wall venting configuration. Can't find anything. So has anyone done this right? I have a hood that came out of a restaurant. Can I use it or do I need a special hood made for wall exhaust?

Did you read this thread? It's full of imformation.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/07/18 19:24:58 (permalink)
Linairs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/07/23 12:05:27 (permalink)
I did read this thread but what I got from it was a lot of questioning and what if's and such.  I was wondering if anyone has actually done it and was either happy or unhappy with how they did it.
I thank you for the links you sent me, but it still seems like no one is talking about a finished project.  Didn't know about Pacific Trucks.  That looks like a good place to start.
My son talked to Ventilation Direct and they pretty much say only the mushroom will do but I don't want that.  Our truck is tall enough as it is.  We do ice cream and may want a little cooking so I don't see the need for massive air flow.  Plus we have an air conditioner.  Sounds like we'd just be sucking out all our cold air.  Should we install a vent in the hood system to draw outside air in?  Saw some mention of an outside vent on one of the posts but don't really understand the system.  Haven't been able to find anyone local to help.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2012/07/23 15:12:50 (permalink)
Good questions and fair points.

In no particular order.

Most builds get done and the builder is busting his or her tail working after that and doesn't post much. Also most folks don't want to come on here and say "oh man I screwed the pooch on my build" and this and this is wrong.So we don't get a lot of after build reports.

I have only been around one system that had ("makeup air") out door air coming inside at the grill front so the system was sucking out the heat and grease from the grill and not the AC, or heat in the winter. It was in the dead of winter and colder than hell outside and as you reached across the grill to turn a burger from your wrist to your elbow was cold I mean frost bite cold. So in my mind they ("makeup air systems") work.

But that said they can get expensive to install, and you need to figure out how much air to bring into your hood area. The only way I know of to do that is get back on the phone with VD and ask them to tell you what system they recommend for your rig.

Tell them you also want to use a make up air system and ask what size pipe etc you need. They can figure it out in a heart beat. And yes they will want to talk mushroom type but you just need the CFM figure that they suggest you need and the CFM "makeup air" figure they suggest you need.Then when you build your system use VD's research, and make sure you get a total coming in and exhaust that matches.

I live in Illinois and we have about two weeks in early to mid August that are just miserable from the heat in a normal year. This year we have had several weeks already and the worst may be yet to come. I do not have AC in the trailer but run the exhaust fan all day to keep air moving thru the trailer. Again under normal conditions it's not bad with out AC.

good luck.

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/07/23 15:15:00
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1