Hot!Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
cosmo64
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 166
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/02/28 14:19:08 (permalink)
Since I too am doing all the necessary research on a concession trailer build, I have been reading all of the related threads and taking notes. Does anyone care to post negative/positive results with their type of exhaust fan setups (vertical/horizontal with/without makeup air...etc)?
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/02/28 15:02:38 (permalink)
To start with you need to keep in mind the overall height of your truck or trailer. And not just for highway use but for city driving as well. Most cities don't trim tree branches that hang out over streets and instead depend on semi trucks to clear low hanging branches. So semi drivers drive in the center lane when possible which means the curb lanes have lots of tree branches that will beat the heck out of your above exhaust fan housing and when it gets dented it loses some of it's designed swirl exhaust ability.
jack
cosmo64
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/03/01 20:59:32 (permalink)
Good points Dr of BBQ.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2099
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/03/02 05:33:07 (permalink)
Keep in mind what ever system/equipment installed, it will need cleaning to remove buildup of grease from the inside of duct & fan. Slope any duct work to drain into a grease collection can or to the outside.    ... Yes the ducts are very short in a truck ... usually.   So make any access needed easy so cleaning will not be a 'dreaded chore'.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/03/03 00:57:41 (permalink)
Someone on here not to long ago built a truck and we talked about where to get the fans like the food trucks used.I forget where he said. but search this forum and you'll find it.
cosmo64
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/03/12 15:46:58 (permalink)
Thanks edwmax, ease of upkeep is paramount.
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/05/01 19:40:37 (permalink)

This is the system I am using for my exhaust at the back of my rig. The metal fan motor mounts have since been painted, and the fans wired up with their switches at the front of the rig.
The next step is the custom hood, which is being fabricated locally. These fans (12v) move plenty of air and I imagine I will only need them on low. I'll have a 3' propane griddle next to a propane steam table at the back.

I too was not interested in a vertical exhaust setup. Mostly because the fan systems are all AC power and I wanted 12v power for everything. But also because of the aesthetic of a huge fan on top of a moving truck. I did some research and saw some wall mount exhausts and that gave me the confidence to proceed with this custom job.
cosmo64
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/09/26 20:03:20 (permalink)
Are either of the fans adjacent to the cooking area/hood?
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/09/26 23:32:01 (permalink)
I opted to go with fans on the side of the truck vs the top as well.  I originally bought an amazing 14" fan (3 speeds up to 2100 cfm I think) but it was just a little too big so I had to end up going with 3 smaller 10" fans.  Still wish I could have found a way to go with the smaller as it is still more cfm than the three combined but se la vie....
hpx
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/09/27 13:42:33 (permalink)
I have a friend that runs a meatball truck out of Tampa. It is an older self built including his home made side vent exhaust. Right now he is grandfathered in with the hood he has but they are all over him to change out to a roof mount. Their reasoning is that a side mount pushes the grease out while the roof mount pulls it out and is more efficient and there for cleaner and less likely to accumulate grease.
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/09/28 01:57:54 (permalink)
Valid point but not a law, yet  As long as its the right motors and they're cleaned well and often then they're just as good, if not better, than their roof top counterparts.  I would never go the roof mount...just my .02 pesos...

RichardFla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2013/12/01 00:06:15 (permalink)
I am not sure if this thread is still being followed but this is what I have been installing.

Low profile with a 16" total height ,1600 cfm and assembled with easily available parts.
I reinforce the curved front to deflect the tree branches.

The problem with roof mounted downdraft is the grease is deposited on the roof long term,side draft would need to be strong enough to "blow" the grease laden air away from the truck.

Well, I put a pic in but because I am new, no post. any other options?

post edited by RichardFla - 2013/12/01 00:08:36
kebamo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/05/24 19:29:22 (permalink)
I got a 1975 cfm updraft fan and am going to install a control to slow it down so I just am pulling what I need to pull the smoke off the grill etc area. I am looking at a char grill and will have the power to pull more f needed Power is generator but have a new one and will,service,it each week oil change filter cleaning etc. plug once a,month. Use high quality synth oil (amsoil ) installed a 90degree angle pipe with gate valve for quick oil change. 6500 watts and will be pulling about 4800 watts at anytime. Also installed a 12 in 12volt electric rad fan push pull on generator to increase air flow across the unit to help with the heat. The reason I am using updraft is because I bought it real cheap on Craig's list 50.00. The owner thought it was bad because the fan woundnt spin fix the problem by removing the tennis ball that was causing it not to spin works fine 1/3 hp belt driven
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/05/27 21:28:16 (permalink)
A comment on the side mount fans.  I bought two 12" Fantech units for ours but have been having issues with heat.  Turns out the fan motors are rated to 40C and of course the hood air temp is much higher particularly above the fryer.  I have not been able to find a 60C 3.3 inch motor to swap it out with.  Still have not solved the problem even after replacing it with a new unit.  If someone has a 60C rated fan motor let me know what the p/n number is.  
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/05/28 12:51:23 (permalink)
See if you can find an industrial Totally Enclosed Air Over Motor (TEAO).  I only did a quick search and saw some options-they're usually made to deal with higher heat, etc. but are often much more expensive...
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/05/28 22:25:50 (permalink)
This is kicking my butt.  I'm looking for a 3.3" motor, 115vac, 1/30 or more hp, 1550rpm.  60C or higher ambient
post edited by BelCibo - 2014/05/28 23:17:19
Rcoy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/05/28 23:05:59 (permalink)
This place has a ton of motors, perhaps a phone call or email would get you a lead.
www.emotorstore.com
Inkys
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck 2014/08/21 14:16:15 (permalink)
Its been a while, but I've currently been dealing with the same issue, so I'll add my 2cents for the next guy that comes along.

Lets step back for a moment from personal preferences;  Both 12v auto fans and fancy centrifugal fan upblast units can be used. Neither is "Right" or "Wrong", both have their pros and cons.

A local fabricator that has been making food trucks in my area for 20 years has always used 12v motor side exit fan hoods and they still do today. They make their own hood and exhaust system and produce 1 -4  truck per month. Their trucks are all over northern California (is this what some have called a west coast truck ??).  They don't release design info, but their motors look like 12v sealed auto fans.

12v auto fans
------------------
These need to be sealed motors to protect from grease n moisture.
Yes, they take more maintenance. If not cared for you'll be replacing them every 18-24 months. But they only cost about $50. With some searching you might get them for less. With some grease tight automotive wire  connectors, you could swap them out in 15minutes.

Upblast fans on the other hand, cost from $600 - $1000

So here is a basic list or pros and cons

12v Auto fan side exit
-----------------------------
Pros
 + Lower cost
 + lower power use (this is a biggie for me)
 + often variable speed and wire separately if you don't always want all fans running (See note)
 + Cleaner/Lower profile (exterior exit)

Cons
 - Seemed to be hard to find with fan. figuring our cfm between different blades and motors is a real pain.
 - More maintenance/grease on exterior. Need to clean often or you'll have black grease stains at the exit.
 - periodic replacement

If you want to go 12v, the fixed lift out louvers act as a second set of grease filters and are easy to clean (I suppose you could rout a drip line at the bottom to capture the drip, but I haven't seen one)
The flapping type louvers seem like more trouble to clean.

Upblast fans
----------------------
Pros
 + Will definitely handle the job
 + Less maint/cleaner exterior - Captures n directs more grease
 + Last a long time

Cons
 - More expensive
 - Ugly "barrel" on roof
 - Height clearance issues - Just wait until you pull away from a curb location having forgotten there is a low tree branch nearby!

Codes don't yet require upblast any where I know of, but most ventilation firms will strongly encourage you to go that way. In part this is because it does work. In part it's because THAT"S WHAT THEY MAKE AND SELL! The side exit 12v systems are what a lot of fabricators have done for years. It's less expensive in money and power use, but takes more maintenance.

I personally don't like the look of upblasts, but I do like how effective and maint free they are. But the big issue for me is power.

Note about 12v side exit: Just my sense, but i think if you only turn on some of your fans, you'll draw air in from the other fans reducing effective draw from cooking equipment. A back draft damper might solve this as well as any issues if you're in a high wind area.

Downdrafts
-------------------
From what I've been told, these are not "grease rated" ... i.e either don't route/trap the grease. or motors are not protected from grease flow.

Questions
---------------------
1. If any one has a good source for 12v fans (especially with cfm and amps/wattage info), I think a lot of people could use it.
2. RichardFla  mentioned a 16in upblast unit. I'd like to know where he saw that. The lowest I've found is 22inches
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1