Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rosé Wine

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
Rosé Wine Sat, 04/12/08 6:27 PM (permalink)
Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, rosé wine? We used to drink Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare with traditional fondue, but it seems to have become cloying sweet. We'd like something fruity but not too sweet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MiamiDon

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 7:10 AM (permalink)
    What price range are you looking for?

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 7:51 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MiamiDon

What price range are you looking for?

Under $20.00 would be good.

MiamiDon

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 8:50 AM (permalink)
        I have had good luck with French Cotes de Provence roses not being at all sweet. I'd like to tell you which one to buy, but sometimes my mind is like a sieve - I should take notes. I do have a Chateau Barbeiranne 2006 and a Commanderie de Peyrassol 2006 on hand, but I haven't tasted them yet. The former was $13.99, and the latter was $20.99.

If you don't need the results very soon (like, before noon), I would be happy to do a comparison tasting with my wife.

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by MiamiDon

I have had good luck with French Cotes de Provence roses not being at all sweet. I'd like to tell you which one to buy, but sometimes my mind is like a sieve - I should take notes. I do have a Chateau Barbeiranne 2006 and a Commanderie de Peyrassol 2006 on hand, but I haven't tasted them yet. The former was $13.99, and the latter was $20.99.

If you don't need the results very soon (like, before noon), I would be happy to do a comparison tasting with my wife.

Don,

No emergency but I would appreciate knowing the results of your comparison tasting, if that wouldn't be a burden.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
            RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 11:31 AM (permalink)
            You might enjoy one of the better Greek roditis (avoid cheaper ones like the plague). A few French choices might be Chateau Routas Rouvière Rosé, Mas De Gourgonnier Rose, Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose, Chateau de Trinquevedel Tavel Rose Vignoble Demoulin to name a few. The French have quite a few excellent Rosé wines but because of the low quality or sweet California products out there they aren't as readily available. For summertime drinking I enjoy the Spanish Cava rosé sparklers too.

MiamiDon

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
              I second the suggestion of the above-mentioned Tavel Rose

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/13/08 5:26 PM (permalink)
                This is great. Thank you both. We're gonna have fun trying out your recommendations this summer.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                  RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                  Eye of the Toad, from Toad Hollow.

I bought it like I buy wines sometimes: I liked the name and the label, plus I'd had good luck with their output before.

This is a good, true, dry rose. I recommend it most highly. I got it at Kroger, which means it's pretty widely available.

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
                    RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 3:58 PM (permalink)
                    Sadly, this was the first thing I thought of. VERY popular with lat 1970's adolescents.

Kevin

http://eng.sogrape.pt/marcas/1/historia

seafarer john

RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 5:51 PM (permalink)
                      That Mateus was our introduction to "fine wine" n the '50s, when we used to make spritzers of it with club soda. Eventually we became "sophisticated" enough to drink the stuff straight. I have fond memories of Mateus on warm Summer afternoons and evenings sharing bottles with friends - many of whom are long gone from our world. The price was right, it came in a bottle with an interesting form, and it tasted just great - I'll have to buy a bottle and see how it tastes to my jaded senses now...

Cheers, John

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 6:45 PM (permalink)
                        jmckee - I've seen Eye of the Toad at Kroger and at the Party Town in Florence. We'll give it a try.

KOK and seafarer john - I have some bad Mateus memories from the late '60s/early '70s, so I think I'll give that a pass. I can feel the headache starting just from the memory.

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 7:07 PM (permalink)
                          I suppose this is out then too!

seafarer john

RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 9:12 PM (permalink)
                            I once hosted a party (c. 1965) at which everyone was instructed to bring a bottle of the most atrocious wine-like product they could find - Wild Irish Rose was among the offerings - along with Night Train Express, Annie Green Sleeves, and I dont want t remember the rest. Talk about hangover!!!!

Cheers, John

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                              RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 9:22 PM (permalink)
                              Well if Wild Irish Rose can't be there, then I guess Bali Hai won't be on your menu other/ anyone for Blue Nun mixed with an inexpensive (read cheap) lambrusco.

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Rosé Wine Tue, 04/15/08 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                Don't forget Fred and his wine choice for guests, Pagan Pink Ripple!

Can you believe that no one can turn up a decent picture on the entire internet?
                                I mean people on eBay sell 30 year old unopened boxes of cereal (why did someone save that?) but no one has a Ripple in their cellar!

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 8:13 AM (permalink)
                                  Ack!!! Lambrusco!

I have never had Wild Irish Rose ( or Four Roses, either) but I'm sure I had Mad Dog 20/20 back in the '60s.

Seafarer John. That sounds like a hairy buffalo party. You mix a lot of different wines and liquors together and the resulting "punch" is referred to as hairy buffalo. I only attended one of those but I remember the day after (there was no morning after). But that's when all my internal organs were young. Now I'd just like something tasty with dinner.

Trotter59

• Total Posts: 12
                                    RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 9:22 AM (permalink)
                                    Here is a funny taste test of 11 cheap wines.
                                    For the taste test, we gathered 11 different bottles of wine: five of Mad Dog (Hawaiian Blue, Lightning Creek, Pink Grapefruit, Red Grape Wine and Wild Berry), two Boone's (Snow Creek Berry and Strawberry Hill), two Wild Irish Rose varieties (regular and White Label), a bottle of Thunderbird and a bottle of Night Train. Then we tasted. Here's the findings:

Out of the 11 samples, Boone's Snow Creek Berry was the best tasting of all the samples, but to no surprise. The lightly carbonated drink is only about five percent alcohol, while many of the other samples had more than three times that amount. It was sweet, fruity and fresh, and the taste of alcohol was almost non-existent.

Boone's Strawberry Hill variety ranked No. 2 on the list, weighing in at 7.5 percent alcohol. The alcohol was a bit more prevalent and the wine had a bit of a sharp taste - drinkable, yet not as enjoyable as the Snow Creek Berry. Again though, the relatively small amount of alcohol almost nullifies Boone's from the contest, and forces it to stand alone in its own lightweight wine category.

The Mad Dog flavors were the next most successful in the taste test, with the Pink Grapefruit flavor ranking No. 3, after the weaker Boone's. At 13.5 percent alcohol, Pink Grapefruit was fairly smooth and had less of a church-wine taste than the rest of the MD 20/20 flavors. It was tangy and not too sweet, for a somewhat refreshing flavor.

Wild Berry Mad Dog (13.5 percent alcohol) was the next best, but was quite sweet and sharp and had a lasting aftertaste. Mad Dog's Red Grape Wine (18 percent alcohol) followed at No. 5, the first drink to ever make me hurl. The wine was quite sweet, a bit dry and very grapey, but still drinkable. At No. 6 was Lightning Creek (17 percent alcohol), the clear variety of Mad Dog for all of you who don't like artificial colors in your food. The smell of rubbing alcohol and a taste of watered-down alcohol made this selection the turning point in the tasting, and the wines went downhill from here.

Next in line was the potent Thunderbird (18 percent alcohol) - with "An American Classic" as the slogan on the bottle. With its strong alcohol flavor, Thunderbird is strong at first taste, but it doesn't linger on the palate as much as some of the other selections, mainly the Wild Irish Rose and the Hawaiian Blue Mad Dog, which followed Thunderbird for a No. 8 ranking. With its 2,000 Flushes aqua blue color, alcohol flavor and a hint of coconut, Hawaiian Blue coats your system like a good bathtub scum, with its only redeeming quality being it's a pretty color.

Wild Irish Rose Wine (18 percent) ranked in at No. 9, with its red color, hint of grape flavor and plain taste. Not very tasty, to say the least. The infamous Night Train (18 percent) pulled into the station at No. 10, pushing a train wreck for anyone who could top of the entire bottle of wine. It had a rather nasty, pungent and incarcerating taste and side effects to back up its poor reputation.

Coming in last was Wild Irish Rose's White Label (18 percent alcohol), a harsh, sharp and brutal wine without any flavor whatsoever. The White Label produced breath of fire, and left nothing to be desired.

For all its worth, cheap wine still has its virtues, even if it doesn't have a very desirable taste. All but the Boone's could probably get you drunk for less than the price of the average beer at the average bar. So if drunk's what you want, and $3 is all you've got, a not-so-good bottle of wine is all you need to cure those sobriety blues. "All aboard

Trotter59

• Total Posts: 12
                                      RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Don't forget Fred and his wine choice for guests, Pagan Pink Ripple!

Can you believe that no one can turn up a decent picture on the entire internet?
                                      I mean people on eBay sell 30 year old unopened boxes of cereal (why did someone save that?) but no one has a Ripple in their cellar!

You're right the best I could find is a copy of the label.
                                      http://www.ghettowine.com/ripple/paganpink.html

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                        RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                        This is the rose' we sell where I work. It's a dry rose'.

http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?DCMP=froogle&item=33164

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                                          RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                          I carry a killer Rose of Petite Sirah at my shop for $14. Branham Estate Napa 2007. If I had a website to plug I would. I do ship anywhere in the USA though.

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by soozycue520

Thanks, soozycue. Do you happen to know where I can buy it in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area?

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                              RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                              1978 Strawberry Hill from the Gentleman at Boones Farm...Russ

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                                RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

Thanks, soozycue. Do you happen to know where I can buy it in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area?

Follow this link, put in city, state or zip - put rose' in search varietals, and it will give you retailers that sell it. When I put in Covington, it gave me Dick's Liquors. Cincinnati gave me Fresh Market in Oakley and Biggs in Hyde Park, among others.

Good luck, and happy drinking!!

http://www.ste-michelle.com/findwine.cfm?x_brand_id=1

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                                  RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  How about a good '68 Ripple!

Sandy Thruthegarden

RE: Rosé Wine Wed, 04/16/08 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

Follow this link, put in city, state or zip - put rose' in search varietals, and it will give you retailers that sell it. When I put in Covington, it gave me Dick's Liquors. Cincinnati gave me Fresh Market in Oakley and Biggs in Hyde Park, among others.

Good luck, and happy drinking!!

http://www.ste-michelle.com/findwine.cfm?x_brand_id=1

That worked...Dick's Liquors in Covington! I work in Covington. I'll pick up a bottle Friday evening on my way home. Thanks.

fischgrape

• Total Posts: 122
                                                      RE: Rosé Wine Sun, 04/20/08 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      Sandy,

You would do well to heed the suggestions of MilwFoodlovers, because those were the wines that I was going to suggest.

The most important things to remember are that 1) pink wine is rarely, nor should it be considered, serious wine and B) warmer parts of Old World countries tend to produce the best pink wines.

So, $20 is very expensive for rose. And think about why Provence wines are 70% pink...lotsa Mediterranean fish, tomatoes, olives and garlic, but most of the grapes that survive down there are red. You still want a chilled refreshing wine for fish stew? Chilled rose will be better than a full-bodied red.

Last thing: while I tend to recommend European dry roses (and try Sancerre Rose if you can get it...it's a rose of Pinot Noir), most of the California wine makers who use Rhone grape varieties make rose. Finally, scratch the surface of most American wine professionals and you will find a rose lover underneath. Just ask the right people...all you have to say is 'I want some great pink wine' and they will help you.

Cheers,

john

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                                                        • Location: Northern California
                                                        RE: Rosé Wine Fri, 04/25/08 6:53 PM (permalink)
                                                        Fischgrape - everyone is making Rose here in California now, not just the Rhone producers, due to the increasing prevelance of Saignée to intensify the Red wines. The resulting pink juice is used to make Rose. I taste about 3000 wines a year for my "job" and many are these new-era Roses.

And like many other discussions on price - $20 for a Rose being expensive is subjective.

fischgrape

• Total Posts: 122
                                                          • Location: Hyde Park, NY
                                                          RE: Rosé Wine Fri, 04/25/08 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          Uncledave,

I agree that the $20 mark could be considered somewhat subjective, but looking at the Old World model of how rosé is used, it's almost always considered a daily drinker and should therefore be relatively affordable. I'll defer to you on the number of wines you taste a year, but in my years as a wine buyer and sommelier, I can't recall a rosé that was created specifically for its aging potential, which is often a major factor leading to higher prices.

I know that saignée has been used for a while by California winemakers to make their reds bigger and still sell the by-product (as has Tony Soter with his somewhat rare rosé of Pinot Noir), but I still think that the idea of a $48 rosé would ruffle my feathers. Perhaps it's just that I have such negative memories of the very expensive Domaine Ott rosé which is supposed to be "The Rolls-Royce of Rosés," but never really blew my skirt up.

I have a strange feeling that we would agree on a lot of vinous matters, but I still kinda think that rosé should be affordable, fun, delicious, and decidedly not-so-serious.

On a side note, I'm coming out to Sonoma tomorrow night, and will be doing some vineyard visits. We're eating at Syrah Bistro on Sunday night, but I'll come to your place of business if possible, and if it's a place where I can get a glass of wine.

Cheers,

john

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Location: Elsmere, KY
                                                            RE: Rosé Wine Sat, 04/26/08 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by fischgrape

Sandy,

You would do well to heed the suggestions of MilwFoodlovers, because those were the wines that I was going to suggest.

The most important things to remember are that 1) pink wine is rarely, nor should it be considered, serious wine and B) warmer parts of Old World countries tend to produce the best pink wines.

So, $20 is very expensive for rose. And think about why Provence wines are 70% pink...lotsa Mediterranean fish, tomatoes, olives and garlic, but most of the grapes that survive down there are red. You still want a chilled refreshing wine for fish stew? Chilled rose will be better than a full-bodied red.

Last thing: while I tend to recommend European dry roses (and try Sancerre Rose if you can get it...it's a rose of Pinot Noir), most of the California wine makers who use Rhone grape varieties make rose. Finally, scratch the surface of most American wine professionals and you will find a rose lover underneath. Just ask the right people...all you have to say is 'I want some great pink wine' and they will help you.

Cheers,

john

john-

Some years ago my husband (BillC) and I stayed with a family in Provence. It was August, and we ate dinner with the family at a table on the patio nearly every evening. They invariabley served a light, fruity rosé that went well with everything. We came upon their stock of wine, and the rosé was a box wine... inexpensive, and definitely not serious, but perfect for dinner al fresco on a warm summer evening. I'm looking to find the same sort of "utility" rosé . I haven't had the chance to shop this past week, but plan to follow up on recommendations from MilwFoodlovers and soozycue520 next week. I will also look into a California rosé as you suggest.

Sandy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com