Hot!Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta

Author
Higgbilly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/10/24 09:36:12 (permalink)

Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta

Does anyone still remember this chain? There were two in the Atlanta area in the early 80's that I know of. One was at Peremeter Mall and the other very close by. It was mainly a hamburger and shake menu and you ordered from a phone at your table. I still crave their chopped steak with mushroom gravy and hands down, the world's best carrot cake.

26 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/10/24 16:21:11 (permalink)
    There used to be a few of those in Colorado. I thought they had pretty good fries and a great mushroom burger. Looking back, though, I wonder if I just wasn't caught up in the ordering-by-phone hype. It was the first place we were allowed to go to eat alone as teen-agers.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/10/24 18:46:55 (permalink)
    Higg, you're right...the other location was on Cobb Parkway near Cumberland mall. It is now a Hooters. I first went to RTC in Boulder, CO. In ATL, it lasted a few years. I enjoyed the burgers.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/11/02 14:11:16 (permalink)
    I used to work at a Round The Corner in Denver. They were founded and based out of Boulder, Colorado. They have all shut down now. The same owners opened a new Colorado chain, Good Times Drive-Thru. Pretty good regional fast/chain food.

It's too bad RTC shut down. The concept of ordering by phone was genious. Their food, in their glory days, was very high quality. I still crave their food.
    Pwingsx
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/11/03 13:58:46 (permalink)
    I didn't know the same people from RTC are doing Good Times. I don't care much for their food but they have fantastic seasoned fries and dipping sauce. The burgers are a little meh.

Oneiron, did you go to the RTC at Crossroads? Wasn't there also one in South Boulder? Boy, do you know what they did to Crossroads?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/11/03 16:46:04 (permalink)
    I went quite often to RTC at Crossroads. What happened to the mall?
    cathyftr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2006/11/08 03:09:01 (permalink)
    I remember Round The Corner when they were in Littleton, Colorado when I used used to work in Denver back in the 80s. I believe they had a location either in or near Southglenn Mall.
    Vettestrat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2007/03/01 12:52:15 (permalink)
    I remember the Denver location on Colorado Blvd, north of I-25 (now a Royal India restaurant still using the "r" from Round The Corner), the location in Southglenn mall (now demolished), and the location on 2nd ave in Cherry Creek North. I miss that place.
    CustomBurger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/02 16:20:52 (permalink)
    I worked for Round the Corner (RTC) Restaurants at Crossroads Mall in Boulder, CO way back in 1984. There was one on "The Hill" in Boulder as well which was close to CU. I enjoyed many a burger, fry and pitcher of beer at the Hill location while going to CU! Round the Corner shut down the Atlanta operations while I was working for them in 1984.

I had forgotten about ordering from the phones at the table. That was a great concept! The burgers and fries were excellent. I think there were over 20 different hamburgers from which to choose. I developed my liking for guacamole after eating a guacamole burger at RTC. The milkshakes were excellent as well. The prices for the Round the Corner burgers were relatively high compared to the national chains. Therefore, the national chains probably drove Round The Corner out of business.
    CustomBurger
    Junior Burger
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/03 02:47:33 (permalink)
    I have attached a link from Rocky Mountain News that describes the genesis of Good Time Burgers and the demise of Round the Corner Restaurants.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_business/article/0,2777,DRMN_23916_5543253,00.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n20_v29/ai_16838157
    Pwingsx
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/04 00:25:02 (permalink)
    Who knows, Custom? Maybe you served me a burger there back in the 80's!
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/04 02:00:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

There used to be a few of those in Colorado. I thought they had pretty good fries and a great mushroom burger. Looking back, though, I wonder if I just wasn't caught up in the ordering-by-phone hype. It was the first place we were allowed to go to eat alone as teen-agers.

I remember that we had one in Colorado Springs CO. It was in the Flint Ridge Mall if I recall correctly. I remember that they always showed their "special" mushroom burger on the commercials. I don't know if I ever ate there though.

David O.
    CustomBurger
    Junior Burger
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/04 22:31:11 (permalink)
    Pwingsx,

You were asking if there was a RTC in South Boulder. I just remembered that there was a location in South Boulder at the Table Mesa shopping center for a total of 3 in Boulder.
    Goobzilla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/01/07 07:06:26 (permalink)
    I went to the one in Westminster, CO quite a few times back in the day. It was right across the street from the mall. Pretty good burgers and the order by phone thing was kind of interesting to a young kid.
    jchambers64
    Junior Burger
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/09/08 01:45:01 (permalink)
    i worked at the westland mall rtc, cinderella city rtc and foothills mall rtc in ft. collins. about a year later while working at yancey's produce, i picked up the 3am saturday morning delivery run for all the rtc's in the boulder/denver area. here's the list:

Crossroads Mall Boulder
    On the Hill Boulder
    Table Mesa Boulder
    Wesminster
    Westland Mall Lakewood
    Southwest Plaza Littleton
    Southglenn Mall Littleton
    Cinderella City Englewood
    South Hampton Denver(still trying to find the address for this one, anyone?)
    Colorado Blvd. Denver
    Buckingham Square Aurora
    Aurora Mall Aurora
    Cherry Creek Denver
    Greeley
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2008/09/14 18:13:16 (permalink)
    I lived in East Cobb (Marietta) in the early 80's & loved RTC. We went to the one near the mall; it might've been on Roswell Road but not positive. The phone-in concept was unique, and the food was very good for that type of place. My fav there was some sort of turkey club sandwich, which I tried to duplicate at home. My attempts fell short of what they were able to present!
    Cymro
    Junior Burger
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2009/07/08 16:32:47 (permalink)
    Holy thread resurrection... does anyone who remembers RTC remember this guy?

He is an amnesia victim, approximately 60 years old (which would mean that he was in his 30s when RTC was in its heyday).  He was attacked outside a Burger King in Savannah, Georgia in 2004 and has specialized knowledge of the restaurant trade.  He has disjointed memories of RTC in Boulder, CO.  It appears that he may have worked at RTC.  He may be Catholic and has memories of Indiana also.  DNA tests suggest a link with the surname "Powell" but that is far from set in stone.

Details of the first three years of his story are here: http://savannahnow.com/node/364434

Can you help him find his identity?
    southjerseymichigan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    ordering food by phone at the table 2009/08/21 14:58:56 (permalink)
    Here are some other places that you may order your phone by phone at your table

Calling in your order by phone is a trademark of the Rainbow Grill in Grandville (Mich.).
    Also, the Russ’ location on 28th St. in Grand Rapids, has it in the new (southern-most) portion of their dining room while the original part continues with waitress service.
                I BELIEVE Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant has phone in your order, also, at their Crowne Plaza location in Kansas City. Their big thing, though, is the delivering of your order by an overhead monorail. According to the Wall Street Journal, someone who got out of the Navy after WW2 had an idea an ran with it. He opened up his original Fritz’s in Kansas City, KS (still functioning). The delivery system was originally called “The Cat” but later it was changed to a railroad theme.
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2009/09/25 19:54:42 (permalink)
    I recall in my mind, the locations of the RTC's in Cinderella City, and Buckingham Square. And iI have lived close to the old Southglenn Mall for over thirty years. But for the life of me, I cannot recall where in the mall that the RTC was located. Not that it is a big deal, but perhaps someone can help me out .

Also, maybe some of you old timers from the area can recall another Hamburger place that was located on Littleton Boulevard,  in Englewood, where you  would call your orders in by phone from your table.  Today , the building is a liquor store, but again, I am not able to recall the name of the place.

It seemed there was a time in the Denver metro area, that ordering a burger from table side, was a common and fun practice.. Today, I don't know of a place around  Denver where that can be done.

On another tact..... I do like having a Good Times burger. 
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2009/10/13 10:15:09 (permalink)
    If I ever make it out to Colorado, I will have to try a Good Times!

RTC was one of my family's favorite restaurants in the early 1980s.  Whenever my parents went out with friends, they'd let us kids order our own food.  We felt so grown-up at age 10 or so!
    susanh
    Junior Burger
    RE: Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2009/10/29 07:29:46 (permalink)
    Wonderful to see all of the people who were fond of RTC. I just found this site. I worked for RTC in 1979-80 at Crossroads and my ex worked for the one on The Hill.
    mmg
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2011/08/07 02:53:08 (permalink)
    Yeah I lived in boulder my whole life and they had one on table mesa and broadway. I use to love going. I looked up and its saying there is some in aurora and westminister I am calling tomorrow to see if they are actually still there and if its the same place.
    Flipped Burgers
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2011/08/19 23:30:43 (permalink)
    My brother and I had 12 years of flipping burgers in Colorado in the 70’s and 80’s. I think we worked at every store in Colorado except for the Grand Junction location. The Atlanta stores were a franchise deal with family members of an Atlanta Grocery store chain. The management was trained in Colorado about 1978 and the stores opened in Atlanta around that time as well. They did not have the sales needed and closed after about 2 years. I actually taught the owners how to cook at the Hampden and I-25 store (Park Hampden).
    readecody
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2012/02/23 14:21:37 (permalink)
    Wow! Yes, have I ever heard of it.

In 1984, my junior year in HS, I started working at the Round the Corner restaurant in Cobb County at Akers Mill as a dishwasher. There were 5 of them at the time, all owned by a guy named Robert Alterman. They were at Akers Mill, Sandy Springs on Roswell Road, Perimeter Mall, one at Northlake Mall, and one in Athens GA.

The concept was hokey. There were 'telephones" at each table, and you ordered over the telephone. The employees at the counter up front answered your phone and took your order. The other gimmick was that they were a "gourmet" hamburger restaurant. There were 25 or so different hamburger recipes.

I worked at the Akers Mill one for about a year, then at the Perimeter Mall location for another 1 1/2 years, where I met my first long-term girlfriend. Lots of good memories.

They are all gone now. Akers Mill is now a "Hooters".  Perimeter is now a "Hudsons Bar and Grill".
    post edited by readecody - 2012/02/23 14:25:08
    Wacko999
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2012/04/28 21:55:22 (permalink)
    Yes, Round The Corner was owned by a company in Boulder, Colorado.  They transitioned into drive through restaurants which are now called Good Times Burgers and totally suck compared to Round The Corner.
    lee123
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2012/05/02 05:25:41 (permalink)
    post edited by lee123 - 2012/05/02 05:27:18
    wingo395
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Round The Corner Restaurant Chain in Atlanta 2013/10/12 22:53:37 (permalink)
    Always wondered what happened to them.  I worked mainly at the Buckingham Square (BSQ) restaurant for over 3 years, and a year at FTC when I went to Colo State in Ft Collins.  One night at Cherry Creek too, to deliver a coupla boxes of burger patties and to help out.

Have to disagree with the one feller who kind of mocked the "gourmet burger" label and the prices.  Those burgers were awesome and the ingredients fresh.  The onion rings originally came from a farm in Boulder and were hand-battered and off the charts.  They later went with Ore-Ida and they were just standard rings.

Lots of great memories there, I can't believe they shut down - they had a recipe for good stuff.  Would love to see the menus again - a friend and I always challenge each other about the burgers.  #3!  #7!  #17!

Oh, and the phone systems!  Lol, being a bit of a hacker, I found out that we behind the counter could connect phones together, by putting all the toggles in the same position.  You'd buzz a table, the person would pop their head over the partition to look at the counter.  You'd motion to pick up the phone, then connect them with another.

Another cool place was Max & Erma's in Lexingon, KY.  They had candlestick phones at each table and two at the bar.  And the DJ had one, you could dial him and make requests.  The phones weren't for ordering (as I recall).  Each table had a big number sign above it - you would dial that number and talk to the people there.  I used to call cute girls from the bar and talk to them in my cutest "duck" voice, watching them look all around to try to find out who it was.

On a lark one day, remembering an old pay phone hack, I figured out that the entire phone system in there was not a private one, it was really connected to the phone system!  I could dial out to work and make coworkers jealous that I was there, and I could even call my friends and family in Colorado.  Fun days.

Now I just want a number #10 and onion rings!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1