Round and Round - Which Fryer

Author
bigbob7777
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/10/12 21:56:29 (permalink)

Round and Round - Which Fryer

PLease help!!!   I plan on opening a small concession stand that sells ribbon fries & funnel cakes.  I will be using a tent setup (for now), so I plan on LP gas fryers.  I can't spend $2k on a fryer and can't find a decent used one. 

What fryer would ya'll recommend to cook both?  I will be selling at festivals in GA, TN, and NC.  I don't think I need a fire suppression unit; but does anyone know differently?  Would it be best to do the cooking outside of the tent?

I really need your advice.  Please!!
bob

12 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/12 22:24:59 (permalink)
    Bob,
    First welcome to RF. Try a search here on RF this topic has been discussed to death. Go to the top of the page and type in Fryers or deep fryers. You'll find a ton of imformation.

On your tent question and concerning an Ansul system you'll need to check the codes in each state you work in. Chances are they are different and you'll most likely find differences from county to county. Don't take someones advice go sit down with your local HD in person and talk to them face to face. In fact I write out my questions in advance and won't move on from the 1st question to the next question until I have made certain I totally understand the rules and how they are enforced.

This last weekend I did an event in Decatur Illinois and a differant inspector from last year came to inspect. She had the rules all bassakwards and I knew what was what. It took me 20 minutes using her code book to straighten her out. But a new person would have ended up going home and not doing the show.
    Good luck.
    Jack
    bigbob7777
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/12 22:44:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Jack.

I have been researching.  But, I can't seem to find a concensus on a fryer that will work with both ribbons and funnels. 

Thoughts?

I will check each area about fire suppression systems.  Wouldn't they be difficult to put in a tent? 

bob
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/12 23:56:36 (permalink)
    Any fryer will work on both. You don't think a restaurant that serves both is using two different fryers do you? I promise you they are not.  You may not need an Ansul system check your local fire department. You may not be able to work from a tent, or they may welcome a tent with only a fire extinguisher, again check your local or the area your working in HD and fire department rules as above, because every area is different.
    Good Luck in your new adventure
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/10/13 00:00:04
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/13 02:49:11 (permalink)
    Have you ever done this type of cooking before? 
    Funnel cake fryers are shallow fryers. Potato fryers are deep fryers. Another issue is heat recovery times. I've not seen a good GAS fryer with good recovery time for under $1000.

I'd think trying to cook both on one unit would be difficult in a high volume situation. Different Temp requirements, crossover of flavors in the oil. Don't know how potato starch will react with funnel cake batter and vise versa?

What do you do if a customer comes up and asks for 3 fries & 3 funnel cakes? What do you cook first???
    How long do you think a customer is willing to wait?
    With one fryer, you'll only be able to handle one serving and one customer at a time.
    Unless you have the worlds best product, people aren't going to stand in line very long.
    What you're selling is readily available from other vendors who will be better equipped to handle the volume than you. 
    If you can't afford 2 fryers then pick one product and do it well.

I'd suggest re-thinking this whole idea and the logistics involved more thoroughly.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/10/13 03:14:25
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/13 09:31:06 (permalink)
    Jeez I misread the original post all to hell. I was more concerned with the tent and Ansul system differences in different areas. I was thinking ribbon fries and curly fries. My bad, I apologize. From reports on RF from various areas some require the fire suppression and others don't, then you throw in the tent thing. But now in the light of day that's a strange menu mix. Again sorry.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/13 10:21:01 (permalink)
    I do both products under a tent. Down here in the badlands of New Mexico so far no ansul system is required. I use a Frymaster fryer for my ribbon fries and a home made stainless steel 2 foot by 2 foot, 6 inches deep funnel tank. I purchased my business 11 years ago, used equipment, the frymaster fryers have been with me evey since. They`ve been mishandled, thousands of miles up and down rough roads in a trailer, keep on working. Every 3 or 4 years I have to replace the gas valve, but thats no problem. I don`t put my fryers outside the tent.  By the time the heat rises out of the fryer, temps aren`t critical at all. Everybody gets their tit in a ringer thinking so much heat is generated that the tent will catch on fire. BS. Put your hand 18" over a deep fryer, you could keep it there all day long. You could put a small fan of some sort to help blow some of the heat away I guess, never done it yet. Might work. Wish you the best of luck, just don`t come down here in southern New Mexico trying to push your product on my customers. lol

bigbob7777
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/13 10:22:52 (permalink)
    Good avice all.  TY mucho.  This is why I love reading here.  Lot's of lively and informed discussions.

bob
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/14 15:18:10 (permalink)
    The only reason for a Funnel Cake fryer is the fast recovery time. Funnel Cakes need to be cooked hot and fast otherwise they will absorb too much oil. For the fries just about any used 4lb fryer should work. I have not seen anyone in Georgia use a fire suppression system at a festival.

bigbob7777
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/14 22:59:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Jody.  Will a funnel cake fryer work for ribbon fries?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6524
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/15 21:50:17 (permalink)
    bigbob7777

a funnel cake fryer is usually much shallower than a fryer you would want to use for the ribbon fries.  As friedtater posted using the 2 different fryers works best.  I know the thought of 2 fryers is not what you want to hear, but in the end it would be better to get and use two fryers.
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/20 08:51:05 (permalink)
    Just my advice on doing the festival circuit. Whereas funnel cakes and fries are definitely popular items amongst festival goers, you will see a lot of competition from other food vendors doing the same thing. I know you said you have a limited budget but I would look into doing something like churros. If you could locate a used churros machine that extrudes the churros with the center hollow then you can fill them up with a variety of filling. Fill them with chocolate and sprinkle powdered sugar on them or fill them with nacho cheese. I do alot of festival in Georgia and have not seen this done.  
    bigbob7777
    Junior Burger
    Re:Round and Round - Which Fryer 2011/10/20 10:51:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Jody.  I'll look into that.
    bob
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1