Route 46 New Jersey west of Buttzville

Author
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2012/11/26 17:41:48 (permalink)

Route 46 New Jersey west of Buttzville

This is not really a question of where to eat but rather a question about the places I passed the other evening coming home to Long Island from Pittsburgh.  There had to be about a half dozen places I'd describe as classic roadhouses between the Delaware Water Gap and Heightstown.  Pre- route 80 this was the way to the west from New York and I remember stopping for a burger and a beer in this stretch some 40 years ago.  After 40 years I don't remember which place I stopped at or if the food impressed me but I thought the place was from some other time.  These places reminded me of a place on Long Island on 25A just west of Cold Spring Harbor that was called Wildwood Rest that I remember as a kid.  That place disappeared almost 40 years ago.  When I came through the 'Gap' the other night I didn't have the opportunity to stop but there were about 6 places that were open and seemed to be doing a decent business.  Any comments on the places along this stretch of Route 46? 

3 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Route 46 New Jersey west of Buttzville 2012/11/26 18:50:10 (permalink)
    I like that stretch of Rt 46 too, it's really a time-warp in some places.

Most people know of Hot Dog Johnnie's on Rt 46 in Buttzville (yes, Buttzville). A roadside destination for over 60 years.

Two other places I really like are:
    The Log Cabin Inn on Rt 46 in Columbia. An authentic old roadside tavern with great roadhouse atmosphere and surprisingly good pizza and burgers.
    Luigi's Rancho on Rt 46 in Belvidere, which is just what the name implies, a roadside tavern that somehow walks a line between a western decor theme and Italian Food. The food is just OK, but the combination of Country Western Music on the jukebox and Chicken Parmesan on the menu is worth the stop. Maybe that's where the term "Spaghetti Western" originated...

The place you got the Beer & Burger 40 years ago might have been King Kole Grove which was a combination hot dog/burger/ice cream stand with an attached roadside tavern. Classic, but it closed maybe 10 years ago, and wasn't good at all towrds the end.

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    Re:Route 46 New Jersey west of Buttzville 2012/11/27 10:39:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response. I'll have to plan a trip through the area in better light with some time to stop.  I remember seeing Johnnie's and Luigi's the other night.  I think I saw the Log Cabin if that place is on the left as your travel east.  Seems like a dream that I also saw a place called King Kole (or Cole) Grove the other night as well (on the right while going east); can't recall if it was open.  The stop I made 40 years ago I believe was on the same side of 46.  Thanks again Ken.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Route 46 New Jersey west of Buttzville 2012/11/27 22:24:29 (permalink)
    It's possible that the King Cole (or Kole, not sure) buildings are still there, and it's possible that they have reopened, I haven't been up that way in a couple of years and I was going from memory. You've got the location right, on the right going east. And yes, the Log Cabin is on the left while going east. If I had time for one stop I would make it the log cabin.

Another place I remembered after I posted last night is Flannery's Tavern, on the right heading east. Another nice local tavern. Was in once, decent non fancy food and very reasonable. Stopped in there with a couple of friends after a day of hiking at the Water Gap. It was the day after Thanksgiving about 5 years ago and they had a special of full turkey dinner plus a beer, wine or mixed drink for something like $6. I guess they had a lot of leftovers.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1