Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach

Author
Fat Pig
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
2006/04/19 22:16:51 (permalink)

Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach

We will take route 60 in Brandon, Florida east for oh about 60 miles on the way to Boynton Beach. Anything family friendly? Quality of food is more important than specific cuisine.

4 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach 2006/04/19 23:14:41 (permalink)
    F. P.,
    Try John's Restaurant at the intersection of U. S. 17 and FL. 60 in Bartow. It's been run by the Houvardis family certainly since the 1920's; my great-grandfather Marion G. Carlton (1852-1939) loved to go there, and it's still as good as ever - having reopened after a hepatitis scare.
    You can check http://polk-county.com/dining.php for some more recommendations.
    Let us know what you find. My people are all from Central Florida's back country (what there is left of it!).
    No Foolin', I'm A Wauchulan, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3746
    RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach 2006/04/19 23:25:50 (permalink)
    Your title may be a little misleading. When I clicked, I assumed that you were heading from Brandon all the way across to Vero Beach. Now, after reading your post, I assume that you are going to hit the turnpike and head south, yes?

If that is the case, I would suggest you eat up before you leave the Tampa area. The original La Teresita is not too far off 60, and is some of the best Cuban anywhere in Florida. The food is great, and it is a neat all-around experience. After a meal there, you will be ready for the trek across the state.

You will be relegated to fast food joints at the turnpike rest areas once you get on the highway.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach 2006/04/20 19:13:36 (permalink)
    On Rt 60 (Brandon Blvd), not too far after you get off I-75 heading Eastbound, there is a Steak N Shake. It's on the left hand side of the road approx 2 miles from the Interstate. Some Roadfooders like em a lot; some RFers not so much. However, they are pretty easy on the pocketbook and do have a kids menu. Try one of their new "premium" topping burgers. I think they've made a good basic burger even better. And certainly their milkshakes are almost worth the stop alone.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Fat Pig
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach 2007/06/06 23:27:29 (permalink)
    To clarify, yes the stretch from I-75 to the Turnpike. Having passed it a few times and having seen the parking lot full, we decided to try a place in Brandon and as it turns out it's a good one. Oaks Bar and Grill is family owned. They give samples of their three soups to first time customers. The soups are a shrimp gumbo, crab and cheese soup and grouper chowder. All three were good, but I went with the crab and cheese. The grouper sandwich was excellent. Everyone in the family liked what they got. We will probably go again next year.

Oaks Bar And Grill
    108 S Lithia Pinecrest Rd
    Brandon, FL 33511-5306
    Phone: 813-685-5257

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1