The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach

Fat Pig

• Total Posts: 72
Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach Wed, 04/19/06 10:16 PM (permalink)
We will take route 60 in Brandon, Florida east for oh about 60 miles on the way to Boynton Beach. Anything family friendly? Quality of food is more important than specific cuisine.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach Wed, 04/19/06 11:14 PM (permalink)
    F. P.,
    Try John's Restaurant at the intersection of U. S. 17 and FL. 60 in Bartow. It's been run by the Houvardis family certainly since the 1920's; my great-grandfather Marion G. Carlton (1852-1939) loved to go there, and it's still as good as ever - having reopened after a hepatitis scare.
    You can check http://polk-county.com/dining.php for some more recommendations.
    Let us know what you find. My people are all from Central Florida's back country (what there is left of it!).
    No Foolin', I'm A Wauchulan, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach Wed, 04/19/06 11:25 PM (permalink)
      Your title may be a little misleading. When I clicked, I assumed that you were heading from Brandon all the way across to Vero Beach. Now, after reading your post, I assume that you are going to hit the turnpike and head south, yes?

If that is the case, I would suggest you eat up before you leave the Tampa area. The original La Teresita is not too far off 60, and is some of the best Cuban anywhere in Florida. The food is great, and it is a neat all-around experience. After a meal there, you will be ready for the trek across the state.

You will be relegated to fast food joints at the turnpike rest areas once you get on the highway.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
        RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach Thu, 04/20/06 7:13 PM (permalink)
        On Rt 60 (Brandon Blvd), not too far after you get off I-75 heading Eastbound, there is a Steak N Shake. It's on the left hand side of the road approx 2 miles from the Interstate. Some Roadfooders like em a lot; some RFers not so much. However, they are pretty easy on the pocketbook and do have a kids menu. Try one of their new "premium" topping burgers. I think they've made a good basic burger even better. And certainly their milkshakes are almost worth the stop alone.
        QFan
        Bonita Springs, FL

Fat Pig

• Total Posts: 72
          RE: Route 60 East Starting in Brandon, FL to Beach Wed, 06/6/07 11:27 PM (permalink)
          To clarify, yes the stretch from I-75 to the Turnpike. Having passed it a few times and having seen the parking lot full, we decided to try a place in Brandon and as it turns out it's a good one. Oaks Bar and Grill is family owned. They give samples of their three soups to first time customers. The soups are a shrimp gumbo, crab and cheese soup and grouper chowder. All three were good, but I went with the crab and cheese. The grouper sandwich was excellent. Everyone in the family liked what they got. We will probably go again next year.

Oaks Bar And Grill
          108 S Lithia Pinecrest Rd
          Brandon, FL 33511-5306
          Phone: 813-685-5257

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com