Helpful ReplyRoute 9 in Maine

Author
barbhelm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
2011/05/22 23:09:34 (permalink)

Route 9 in Maine

Does anyone know of places to eat on/off Route 9 in Maine?  We will be driving through in September on our way to Nova Scotia.
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/23 20:57:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I'm going to assume you mean Route 9 (the Air Line) from Bangor to Calais and then cross over to New Brunswick... slim pickins', I'm sorry to say. My best advice is to grab a bite in Bangor or wait until you hit Canada. Dysart's is pretty good, just off the highway technically in Hampden, but close to Bangor. There used to be a good restaurant in Calais called the Chandler House, but it is gone now. St Stephen NB has a little seasonal fish and chip place on the river that is good. Try the lobster roll! St Andrews is a little tourist town with several restaurants and a fine old hotel, the Algonquin.
 St John has some good pubs, especially in the area of the Public Market, which is worth a visit.
 I'm sorry I can't help more- my info is a few years old now.  FYI in Canada and the eastern US, Irving gas stations are known for their clean restrooms and some have pretty decent diners attached. We ate at several throughout the Maritimes.
barbhelm
Junior Burger
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/23 21:11:39 (permalink)
You assumed correctly and I thank you so much for your information.  I did notice there was not much on 9 when I tried the Maps application so I thought I would try out the Forum and you came through.  Thanks so much.

mollydingle

I'm going to assume you mean Route 9 (the Air Line) from Bangor to Calais and then cross over to New Brunswick... slim pickins', I'm sorry to say. My best advice is to grab a bite in Bangor or wait until you hit Canada. Dysart's is pretty good, just off the highway technically in Hampden, but close to Bangor. There used to be a good restaurant in Calais called the Chandler House, but it is gone now. St Stephen NB has a little seasonal fish and chip place on the river that is good. Try the lobster roll! St Andrews is a little tourist town with several restaurants and a fine old hotel, the Algonquin.
St John has some good pubs, especially in the area of the Public Market, which is worth a visit.
I'm sorry I can't help more- my info is a few years old now.  FYI in Canada and the eastern US, Irving gas stations are known for their clean restrooms and some have pretty decent diners attached. We ate at several throughout the Maritimes.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/23 21:18:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
There is a Roadfood restaurant in Brewer, Maine  called  Eagles Nest...........very good good.  People love their lobster salad roll.  I  do not like lobster salad  rolls but  had great  fried fish dinner ther a few years ago.
post edited by Greymo - 2011/05/23 21:25:03
barbhelm
Junior Burger
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/23 21:26:16 (permalink)
Thank you very much.  I had heard of this restaurant and am glad to have a recommendation from someone who actually ate there  

Greymo

There is a Roadfood restaurant in Brewer, Maine  called  Eagles Nest...........very good good.  People love their lobster salad roll.  I  do not like lobster salad  rolls but  had great  fried fish dinner ther a few years ago.

mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/24 10:58:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Yes, Eagles, Nest is good. I would agree about the lobster roll as well. It has limited hours, though- early morning through early afternoon IIRC. 
barbhelm
Junior Burger
Re:Route 9 in Maine 2011/05/24 12:21:44 (permalink)
Thanks, that fair warning!
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1