Route help

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
2006/02/10 02:57:40 (permalink)

Route help

I'm going to Disney World! In late March for my B'day and to take my 4.5 yr old. I've never been this way and I'm getting conflicting route info.

I live 100 yards from I-81 N of Winchester, Va.

Mapquest says to take I-81 S to I-77 to I-64 to I-95.

Yahoo says I-81 to I-66 to US 17 to I-95 near Fredricksburg, Va. Follow I-95 S from there. I've been this far a couple times and it's OK but just the start of the trip.

They come out about 4 miles apart on total mileage and very close on time.

I'm gonna have to stop about every 350 miles for gas but probably gonna have to stop every 2-3 hours for the kid. I prefer to drive straight thru just as fast as I can.

I'm also gonna need some place to stay the night at about 1/2 way, need some recomendations on a decent town or area, nothing fancy, just clean and of course I'm goona need some great roadfood for dinner!

Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 04:16:50 (permalink)
    It's been too many years since I've driven I-95 north of Jacksonville, but I can tell you that south of JAX it's a traffic-choked, 18-wheeler infested nightmare (and so is I-4 near Orlando). Have you considered, just for a second, taking I-81 to Pulaski VA, then I-77 south to connect with I-95 near Holly Hill, SC. Going that way, you'd pass through Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC but you'd avoid Richmond and most importantly you'd avoid a lot of I-95 and either Charlotte or Columbia should be good places to find a variety of motels. Maybe folks here familiar with these alternate routes/areas can advise whether they might be smoother driving and/or better food.

One thing I can tell you: try to avoid Jacksonville and Orlando during the morning or late afternoon commutes.

Nostalgia figment: Anybody else remember the somewhat infamous "Pedro's South of the Border Motel", a landmark of I-95 in the 60's (it was just south of the NC/SC border)? I don't suppose it's still there--or is it?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 05:58:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Nostalgia figment: Anybody else remember the somewhat infamous "Pedro's South of the Border Motel", a landmark of I-95 in the 60's (it was just south of the NC/SC border)? I don't suppose it's still there--or is it?

It's still there.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 11:42:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

It's still there.

...though, according to Roadside America, it's "fraying around the edges" ( http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/SCDILsob.html )

SOB's website is at ( http://www.pedroland.com/ )
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 12:24:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

I'm going to Disney World! In late March for my B'day and to take my 4.5 yr old. I've never been this way and I'm getting conflicting route info.

I live 100 yards from I-81 N of Winchester, Va.

Mapquest says to take I-81 S to I-77 to I-64 to I-95.

Yahoo says I-81 to I-66 to US 17 to I-95 near Fredricksburg, Va. Follow I-95 S from there. I've been this far a couple times and it's OK but just the start of the trip.

They come out about 4 miles apart on total mileage and very close on time.

I'm gonna have to stop about every 350 miles for gas but probably gonna have to stop every 2-3 hours for the kid. I prefer to drive straight thru just as fast as I can.

I'm also gonna need some place to stay the night at about 1/2 way, need some recomendations on a decent town or area, nothing fancy, just clean and of course I'm goona need some great roadfood for dinner!

Thanks

Rand McNally ( http://www.randmcnally.com/ ) and DeLorme both recommend: I 81 to I 77 to I 26 to I 95 to I 4 with a driving time of about 14 1/2 hours, a distance of about 900 miles and with 2 or 3 gas stops. Mid-point of the trip would be around Columbia, SC.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 12:28:41 (permalink)
    Actually other than morning and evening rush hours I-95 through Jacksonville has improved and most of the construction between Jax and St Augistine has finished leaving wide 4 lanes of traffic. I-4 from Daytona to Orlando is a far cry from what it was just a couple yrs ago. On average it takes 3.5 hrs Jacksonville to Orlando or 4hrs from the Fl/Ga line. A new interstate bridge over the St.Johns River means less backups. If you can schedule it, try to hit Jax between 9am and noon or 2-4 pm or after 7pm. I live in JAx and try to stay off ANY roads between 4 and 7pm because traffic is horrendous city wide. Pedro's South of the Border has definately seen better days but its still a great place to stretch your legs and collect tourist kitch, I'd travel a bit further before eating however
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Route help 2006/02/10 12:36:18 (permalink)
    I drive from Knoxvile to Orlando frequently. It is equal distance for me to do I-75 to the cutoff to Orlando. It is a toll road. I also do I-40 to Ashville and then I20 somthing to I-95. I take I-95 to just south of Daytona and I have never had a problem.

I stay at the Courtyard by Marriott directly across the from interstate from Disney. This is a Marriott area that consist of three Marriott facilities that has controlled access and is very safe. It is also very pretty.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MCOLY

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Route help 2006/02/11 05:00:25 (permalink)
    Thanks people
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1