The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Royers Round Top Cafe

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
Royers Round Top Cafe Thu, 10/26/06 12:38 PM (permalink)
On the weekend I like to drive the backroads and look for intresting places to eat. I saw a segment on Royers on Foodfinds and went looking for them one Sunday. I picked a good day. The Sunday only fried chicken special was fantastic. Follow the link for the menu and a discription. It is 10.95 per person served family style with creamed corn and mashed potatoes. On later visits we order dinner for 3 and 4 of us eat very well. They say they charge an extra 4.50 for split plates but they have never charged us. They are famous for their pies and I concur. Round Top is a small town about 60 miles northwest of Houston off US 290. If you are ever in the area check it out.

[url][/url]http://www.royersroundtopcafe.com/

[url][/url]http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=round+top+&state=tx&zipcode=

joe

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Royers Round Top Cafe Thu, 10/26/06 12:48 PM (permalink)
    I visited Royers about 5 years ago. It is REALLY in the middle of nowhere, but is worth a side trip. Business was slow when we visited and the owner, Big Bud Royer sat with us for most of the meal. He kept summoning the kitchen to bring us more food saying, "you gotta try this!". The food was excellent, but expensive for the region. The pies are absolutely outstanding.

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Royers Round Top Cafe Thu, 10/26/06 3:16 PM (permalink)
      I have always meant to go to Royer's but never have made it. Bud Royer was on Channel 8 a few years ago on one of those pledge week programs when they often devote all of Saturday morning to a cooking theme and had several local chefs on. It was some of the most entertaining programming I have ever seen on local public TV. Royer is quite a character and should have his own cooking show.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
        RE: Royers Round Top Cafe Thu, 10/26/06 3:31 PM (permalink)
        A friend of mine turned me on to this place many years ago on a road trip to Galveston. All I could say was WOW. I have been back many times and it is always great food!
        Joe

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
          RE: Royers Round Top Cafe Thu, 10/26/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Pigiron

I visited Royers about 5 years ago. It is REALLY in the middle of nowhere, but is worth a side trip. Business was slow when we visited and the owner, Big Bud Royer sat with us for most of the meal. He kept summoning the kitchen to bring us more food saying, "you gotta try this!". The food was excellent, but expensive for the region. The pies are absolutely outstanding.

You were lucky. I have always had to wait even if for just a few minuits. If you remember the place only has 10-15 tables. Bud Royer seems like he is always there. He sits on a stool outside and talks to you while you wait on the porch for a table, there is no room for you to wait inside.

oltheimmer whats keeping you, its only about a 90 minuite drive.

joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com