Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA

Author
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
2003/09/02 14:35:12 (permalink)

Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA

Looking for a suggestion for dinner in the areas around rt. 8 and 20 from Winsted CT thru Otis MA. Anyone know of anything good?

6 Replies Related Threads

Alirush
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/02 17:10:53 (permalink)
    Are you looking for laid-back or upscale? There's not a ton of great restaurants on the way from Winsted to Otis. My family lives a few miles outside of Winsted, but luckily, my stepmother cooks like a pro, so we never ate out around town that much.

That said, however, there are some decent pizza places in Winsted. If you're willing to make a brief detour, there's a fantastic little restaurant in Torrington, CT (right next door to Winsted) called The Galapagos Cafe. It's in a little building on a quiet road a few blocks away from the center of town. Breakfast all day, homemade bread, fantastic seafood dishes, great soups, etc. The last time I was there, I had an amazing paella. My husband, who doesn't like seafood, made a meal of their homemade black bean soup and a basketful of hot bread, which reminded him of the bread he ate growing up in Puerto Rico. The people that run it are lovely, too. A true Roadfood find. Jane and Michael, you may want to stop by as well!

jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/02 22:22:58 (permalink)
    Other Brother Darryl's in Otis has really good sandwiches and some of the better fish in the area. Other than that, it can be a bit of a drive. There's Joe's Diner in Lee, which can be fun (it's famous for being featured in a Norman Rockwell painting.)

Great Barrinton has far more dinner options, and while I know some places to get good breakfast, doughnuts and pie in the Otis area, that doesn't help much, sorry. Though I'll try to think more...

JL
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/02 22:27:30 (permalink)
    By the way, do check out http://www.otismass.com/food/. Two of the recommendations they offer that I am familiar with (Other Brother Daryll's, given above, and Hillbillies for breakfast and doughnuts) are on the money, so you may find some ideas there.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/03 08:38:05 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your replies.
    I guess as far as "laid back" or fancy, we're certainly more into the "laid back" (hate getting dressed up for a meal!).
    We may try the place in Torrington...have to check with the group.
    Also, if anyone's out that way, in Burlington (off exit 42 off 8) at Mountain Meadow Airstrip, is a wild funky little joint that has wonderful outrageous food and a bigger beer selection than I've ever seen. It's called The Landing Zone....haven't been there in some time (kind of out of the way for me), but I miss it. Doesn't look like much, but they have a very exotic menu.
    Hey, thanks again!
    Alirush
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/11 12:55:15 (permalink)
    Booboobirdie: It may be too late to matter, but the restaurant in Torrington is called Central Galapagos, not Galapagos Cafe. Hope you found/find good eats either way!

Anyone else in the Torrington (Northwest corner of Connecticut) area should try out Central Galapagos! It's great...
    Mavlily
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Rt. 8 & Rt. 20, upstate CT/Western MA 2003/09/23 15:05:36 (permalink)
    I live in the NW CT area and hear that Central Galapagos is very good. They just opened another restaurant in Torrington, called Northern Galapagos on the Winsted Rd., which is also good according to friends who recently ate there. There is a new restaurant in Winsted that we tried and found to be very good. It is on Route 44 west past the center of town on the way to Norfolk. It is called The Red Wood Restaurant and it has an extensive and inexpensive menu. Also, in New Hartford....not far from Winsted area...is Blue Sky Foods which is a neat little place that serves delicious seafood and burgers, etc. On old Route 8 between Winsted and Torrington is Amarillo Steakhouse....super! In Norfolk there is the The Pub which serves delicious food!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1