Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what?

Author
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
2004/05/17 22:19:38 (permalink)

Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what?

Got some plants from my neighbor two years ago and they are coming in strong this year. He told me to cut off the blossoms to stimulate growth which I did this weekend.

When are they ready to cut? Some are sarting to turn red at the base. We love it especially Ruhbarb and Strawberry pies or just cooked as a side dish.

Need some help with when to pick and also some ideas for cooking.

Thanks.

Don

12 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/17 22:25:50 (permalink)
    Don,
    We pull the stalks when they have turned red about 1/3 or more up the stalk. We will add some of the smaller ones if we need more to fill a recipe at a certain time. I love the stewed rhubarb alone or in a sweetened cobbler type dough. Strawberries add a great flavor to the rhubarb in any and everything.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/17 22:28:47 (permalink)
    You can cut the stalks off and cut them into pieces and boil the heck out of them, or you can steam them or I suppose even microwave the stuff. But when you are done with the cooking process, it doesn't matter, just throw the stuff in the trash!!

Wally--not a ruhbarb lover, probably a ruhbarb hater would be a better description!!
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/17 22:35:53 (permalink)
    My family is slovak, and instead of chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies we had rhubarb. Let's just say I had an axe to grind with that old rhubarb pie when I was a kid! I'd pretty much just eat the vanilla ice cream it was served with. And if grandma made cookies, it was always oatmeal/raisin-not a chocolate chip in the house! Now that I got that out of my system...I do actually enjoy a good rhubarb pie as an adult. Big surprise! Sorry this wasn't any help! I didn't realize I had such a large amount of pent up rhubarb anger!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 02:14:59 (permalink)
    oldfrt =
    Here is a website that probably has more information than you really want, but you might be able to use (on growing, picking, forcing in winter, etc., etc., etc., and cooking rhubarb including recipes): http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
    I hope it can help you.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 02:17:38 (permalink)
    ......be sure to scroll down, because the recipes are all after the horticulture!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 04:06:37 (permalink)
    If you have never tried rhubarb pie without the strawberries, you're in for a tangy treat. To most any rhubarb pie recipe, add 3 beaten eggs to the fruit/sugar/flour mixture just before you put on the top crust for rhubarb CUSTARD pie. Oops! Don't forget to dot the fruit liberally with butter.

Summer means warm kitchens, so make the crust and chill well before you harvest the rhubarb. If your plant is well-established, you can just pull out those medium stems. Avoid the bigger ones, as they get woody. Trim the leaves outside, as they are poisonous, and the root ends in the house after washing. If you don't already have rhubarb, look for the better varieties--they're available.

Silverton, Colorado is in the San Juan Mountains at about 9,000 feet. The only "fruit" that ripens at that altitude is rhubarb, so they have a rhubarb festival. You get to Silverton from Durango by a narrow-guage train.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 05:14:13 (permalink)
    When the rhubarb comes on, it REALLY comes on ... * memories of childhood rhubarb surpluses* so you may find you have more on your hands than you can eat fresh in one go ... cooking gently with a little water and sugar until of prefered consistency and then freezing works well, to be used in future pies/crumbles/cobbers etc. Or Rhubarb and Ginger chutney. Yum ! Just the thing to perk up meals a few months down the line. I can hunt up a recipe if you like for this one, but I just boil up rhubarb, vinegar, sugar, onion, spices and grated fresh root ginger, simmer until its thickened just right and throw into pre sterilised jars and seal. You could also make a fresh version of this and serve as a sauce with savoury items, like gooseberry sauce with mackerel etc. All depends if you like sweet with your savoury, I do

I have also tried stirring pureed slightly sweetened rhubarb into greek yoghurt - a nice dessert for those that don't like things too sweet - and making a rhubarb version of gooseberry fool, folding into a mixture ot whipped cream and custard.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 10:30:02 (permalink)
    Rhubarb:" A quarrel, fight, or heated discussion".

That word should have no place on our friendly forums!
    dan409
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/18 11:23:15 (permalink)
    I grew up in Minnesota enjoying my mother's baked rhubarb desserts and sauces, but had never tried growing any here in the Canadian Rockies. So 2 years ago I got some root stock and have patiently nourished it. Now in it's third year it is established enough to begin harvesting. My wife and I are "discussing" which of the hundreds of recipes we have will be the first we use. One concern is the amount of sugar most of them require. By the way, the website mentioned by 6star is a very good resource for growing rhubarb, as well as having lots of recipes.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/19 08:33:41 (permalink)
    My best recipe for rhubarb: Place several stalks in a cooler full of ice water along side a sixpack of your favorite beer. When beer is ice cold, remove rhubarb and throw it away. Drink the beer. Rhubarb never tasted better.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/19 08:41:58 (permalink)
    I love rhubarb but seldom have it any more. It is very expensive to buy in this area. My favorite way of eating it is as a thick sauce spread on hot buttered toast...........makes a wonderful breakfast!
    We also love rhubarb-strawberry pie and do make a couple of those when I get rhubarb at the farmer's market
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Ruhbarb - It's growing, now what? 2004/05/19 23:25:08 (permalink)
    My aunt made a raspberry-rhubarb pie when I was a kid. My brother and I kept sneaking pieces of that pie until there wasn't a scrap left. I reminded my mother about that nearly 15 years later, and she asked my aunt for the recipe. She had no memory of ever having made it. " />

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1