The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 05/17/07 1:38 PM (permalink)

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 05/17/07 2:00 PM (permalink)
    It makes perfect sense that they would put up a high rise apartment building on that spot. There are huge construction projects on nearly every corner in that neigborhood. Just look at the monstrosity that just opened on Houston and Bowery a few blocks west of Katz's (the one with the 70,000 square foot Whole Foods). 10 years ago, that was literally "skid row".

If they do knock the building down and move Katz's back into the ground floor, as the article suggests, I guess that's better than losing it forever like the 2nd Ave Deli, Ratners, and many other great institutions of Jewish cuisine. There's already a ton of crap like Quiznos, Taco Bell and Dominoes on the LES. I would hate to see part of my heritage completely wiped off the map.

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
      RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 05/17/07 2:17 PM (permalink)
      New York keeps getting worse and worse. It has become just like visiting Any Ol' City, USA. That would be a travesty, at least to me.

LuckyLabrador

• Total Posts: 583
        RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 05/17/07 5:32 PM (permalink)
        I would hope that they spend the money to recreate the new 1st floor Deli with as much of the old hectic charm, that now exists there! Been there once, WOW!!

TJ Jackson

RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Fri, 05/18/07 1:07 PM (permalink)

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
            RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Fri, 05/18/07 11:53 PM (permalink)
            Hey,
            Try to get a seat at Jack Dempsey's lately? How 'bout Mama Leone's, or Chandler's? Oh well.
            The Bear

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
              RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 05/19/07 1:02 AM (permalink)
              Yeah, that neighborhood has basically become an a playground for wealthy young professionals and NYU students hitting the bars and hot spots (as well as living there; NYU just completed a huge residence on the Lower East Side not too long ago).
              I wonder how long it will be before Moishe's (the bakery on Second Ave.) and Dominican restaurants like Castillo de Jaragua will no longer be present?

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 05/19/07 1:20 AM (permalink)
                NY is over

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                  RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 05/26/07 10:21 AM (permalink)
                  Cornfed's reply of" NY is over"; What does that mean????Over what?We are talking about a national food landmark with unparalleled distinction ..

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                    RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Mon, 05/28/07 7:43 PM (permalink)
                    Say it ain't so.

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
                      RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Fri, 06/1/07 3:18 PM (permalink)
                      This past Wednesday's NY Times (5/30/07) reviewed Katz's (loved the pastrami, hated the latkes and knishes), and printed an denial, at least for the present time, of the rumor. Owner left open the possibility that for the right price, they'd sell.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                        RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 06/7/07 12:00 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by albinoni

This past Wednesday's NY Times (5/30/07) reviewed Katz's (loved the pastrami, hated the latkes and knishes), and printed an denial, at least for the present time, of the rumor. Owner left open the possibility that for the right price, they'd sell.

In Manhattan, that translates to, "for sale, best offer."

Tony Bad

RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 06/7/07 12:09 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Ashphalt

In Manhattan, that translates to, "for sale, best offer."

Good One!

buffetbuster

RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sun, 06/17/07 12:42 PM (permalink)
                            If this does happen as the rumor suggests, I will be very curious if the new place can duplicate the old atmosphere

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                              RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sun, 06/17/07 1:22 PM (permalink)
                              I was born in Brooklyn in 1939 and lived in Brooklyn, Long Island, and in Manhatten for the first twenty five years of my life. I guess you can say I'm old enough to remember the best city in the world the way it used to be.
                              There aren't enough pages here do describe my experiences and the places I frequented that are no longer there. I feel bad for the young people growing up today who will never experience the ethnic and regional cultural treasures NY was famous for. However, they are being exposed to a new and different set of "cultural treasures". And, I'm sure they will remember them just as fondly when they get older. But, for me, nothing could beat the "good old days". I hope Katz's stays where they are. Because it will never be the same old Katz's if they are sold and moved to a different location.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sun, 06/17/07 9:23 PM (permalink)
                                And it was still there on Saturday 6/9. My pastrami was just out of the steam table. Almost too hot to eat right away.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                  RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 06/23/07 8:16 AM (permalink)
                                  The famous Rascal House in Miami Beach is also going to be "moved." If true, and Katz's owns it's property, can you really blame the owners. Even if they do not own the land, the new building would be foolish, if it did not extend Katz's an opportunity to return on their ground floor.

The profits Katz's can make on that land, if they do own it, are going to be far greater than anything they can ever dream to make selling sandwiches. Where do they go during the time it takes for the project to be built...That's the big question. And what happens to all those old timers who hand slice the world's best pastrami!

I agree with the poster, who is complaining about all the cheap chain places coming into what was once the world's greatest city for independent restaurants. Perhaps its because these chains are the only ones, who have national advertising, national buying contracts, and "name recognition" (ugh) to overcome the ridiculous rents in NYC.

The real question is why doesn't the consuming public shun these fast food places and support the independent operators throughout our country who are trying to give us a better product. You'd think NY'ers who are amongst the world's most knowledgable diners would not be supporting all these chains that have moved in. Obviously, they are.

The thing that is so great about roadfood.com is that it is one place that does recognize and apprecaite the great work of the ever shortening list of independent restaurant operators left in this country.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                    RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 06/23/07 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by pogophiles

Well, it was still there on Friday (6/8/07) and the pastrami was excellent!!

Funny - so was I - with my sister from Rochester. She got pastrami, I got two of their legendary hot dogs. plus a plate of their great fries. My sister did not want a piece of my dog, but I got several chunks of the pastrami....and wrapped it around the dog! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

donnablue

• Total Posts: 15
                                      RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Thu, 09/6/07 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                      Hey, we are RVers who will be hosting a Winnebago Rally in Oct. for 22 RVs doing New York City in a week!!! Katz's is one of our meal stops, so I will tell you how it is then! Don't worry, we are staying at an RV park in Jersey City, NJ, NOT in NYC!

Hey, TJ, my pizza post is no more (don't know what happened to it), but thanks for being one of the "nice guys". Donnablue

fischgrape

• Total Posts: 122
                                        RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sun, 09/9/07 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                        I grew up in Hastings, and spent a lot of time in the City as a kid...and was a restaurant manager and sommelier/booze guy in Manhattan for a long time after having graduated from the CIA.

Old places that are missed: Mary Elizabeth's (open-faced grilled cheese & bacon sandwiches and volcano-shaped doughnuts). Schrafft's (especially the cheese bread). Ice cream parlors on the east side. Luchow's. La Fonda del Sol. Sloppy Louie's. The 'real' P.J. Clarke's. Gage & Tollner (which became a TGI Friday's). Second Avenue Deli. etc.

Reasons for hope: Lombardi's. The Oyster Bar. The current P.J. Clarke's. Corner Bistro. Papaya King. Steakhouses where they put salt on the meat before cooking it. Pegu Club (you gotta have a cocktail once in a while). The Burger Joint at the Parker Meridien. Any place that makes egg creams with Fox's U-Bet. Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop (I know...I saw the last Roadfood review, but....). Faicco's Pork Store.

My point is that some beloved places will fade away as others will arrive, at strange moments and unpredictably. There will always be big-name chains (Horn & Hardart, anyone?), some of which will be derided by purists and 'true' New Yorkers (where in Ohio is that?), but there will always be signs of hope. New Yorkers will always care, and always reward hard work and passion. Anyone who doubts that should go down to Blue Ribbon on Sullivan St. and have some oysters, or clam stew, or matzoh ball soup, or foie gras, or fried chicken.

TJ Jackson

RE: Rumored: Katz's Deli NYC to close Sat, 09/15/07 2:34 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by donnablue

Hey, TJ, my pizza post is no more (don't know what happened to it), but thanks for being one of the "nice guys". Donnablue

Cool. Some other posters here thought I had been nasty to you, and I am glad you disagree. The thread in question still exists, but has been heavily edited and locked: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21686

I read somewhere that you live near Disney World? If so.....If you know much about accomodations near Disney and about good eats in the parks, I'd love to hear your input. Looks like I will be spending most of my days in the Magic Kingdom which (lucky me) seems to have the worst selection of eats - thread already in progress but fairly inactive at the moment - best to answer (if you want) there rather than here, to avoid going any further off topic - http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20661

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com