The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Russell Stover low-carb candies

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
Russell Stover low-carb candies Tue, 07/6/04 10:19 AM (permalink)
Can anyone explain to me the difference between Russell Stover low-carb candies (pecan, truffle, chocolate mint and peanut butter, sold in 3.5-ounce bags) and Russell Stover no-sugar candies (pecan, truffle, chocolate mint and peanut butter, sold in 3.5-ounce bags)?

Near as I can tell, the only difference is that the sweetener in the low-carb candies is labeled "sugar alcohol" on the nutrititon box, and the sweetener in the no-sugar candies is labeled "Maltitol."

Of course, Maltitol IS a so-called sugar alcohol. So my real question is, are they really the same candy?

I suspect they are. At my neighborhood Osco, the two candies are sold side by side. The no-sugar candies sell for $1.69 a bag. The low-carb candies sell for $2.99 a bag. But they appear to be -- and TASTE to be -- the SAME THING. If you buy the low-carb bag, you pay $1.30 more to have "low-carb" on the label. That's it.

Ah, the power of marketing.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
    RE: Russell Stover low-carb candies Tue, 07/6/04 10:38 AM (permalink)
    low-carb candy?????.....what won't they think of next,perhaps you could wash down low-carb bon-bons with a no-cal chocolate malted and a few krystal burgers(low-fat,of course) and some low-carb-cal-taste beer......thats living!!!!!!

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Russell Stover low-carb candies Tue, 07/6/04 11:07 AM (permalink)
      Isn't marketing wonderful? I see more and more companies doing this. Take an existing sugar-free or low-sugar product, slap on a label indicating that it's low- or no-carb, and you can jack up the price by at least a third! I was picking up peanut butter last week. Simply Jif, the low-sugar brand, was $1.89 for a 16-oz jar, and the new low-carb stuff was $2.89, even though the carbs-per-serving were nearly the same.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com